PDA

View Full Version : Maybin info.......should be done soon....and what took so long?

Coach Sal
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
BillsWin had a thread on this which stated some of the same things I have (good job), but I also got some interesting info on how the "negotiations" went.

Not that Maybin's side did anything wrong, but from what I'm told, you can't blame the Bills for the stalemate............

http://www.salsports.com/MaybinClose.htm

jamze132
08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
We'll see.

The last buffalo fan
08-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Gracias entrenador! :up:

Hemlepp53
08-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks Coach. I appericate the insight and can not wait for the kid to get in uni and on the field. He will be a pick we pat ourselves on the back for drafting. I have said it 100 times on here he will be replacing Kelsay and starting for us by seasons end.

Nighthawk
08-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Maybin...it's time for you to get your ass in camp!

Mahdi
08-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Coach. I appericate the insight and can not wait for the kid to get in uni and on the field. He will be a pick we pat ourselves on the back for drafting. I have said it 100 times on here he will be replacing Kelsay and starting for us by seasons end.
Hopefully sooner.

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 07:37 AM
No surprise in what happened, nobody to blame for the hold out, except the system which allows for this to happen.

Dr. Lecter
08-14-2009, 07:38 AM
No surprise in what happened, nobody to blame for the hold out, except the system which allows for this to happen.

And Crabtree who wants more than he will ever get.

Jan Reimers
08-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Crabtree's agent is making a ridiculous argument, i.e. in a nutshell, that he is better than a number 10 overall pick. Who cares? Crabtree was picked at that spot because 9 teams valued another player more (even if Al Davis is an idiot), and thus deserves no more than number 10 money.

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Crabtree's agent is making a ridiculous argument, i.e. in a nutshell, that he is better than a number 10 overall pick. Who cares? Crabtree was picked at that spot because 9 teams valued another player more (even if Al Davis is an idiot), and thus deserves no more than number 10 money.

But thats the not the precedent, Vince Young got more money than the pick before him the year he was drafted. The precedent may not be there for how much Crabtree is asking for (which is all rumors and conjecture now), but there is a case for being paid higher than his pick or the pick above him even. Thus still it being the systems fault.

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM

We don't know that, we just know he wants more than SF at this time is willing to pay and more than his slot. He may want more than DHB, he may just want a 20% bump over last years 10th pick. My point is we don't know either way so it is wrong to jump to a conclusion about who is to blame. The only reason this is going on is because the system allows for it, hence how this is all the systems fault.

Dr. Lecter
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
But thats the not the precedent, Vince Young got more money than the pick before him the year he was drafted. The precedent may not be there for how much Crabtree is asking for (which is all rumors and conjecture now), but there is a case for being paid higher than his pick or the pick above him even. Thus still it being the systems fault.

Young is a QB so that changes the point.

And Crabtree's cousin needs to shut his mouth.

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Young is a QB so that changes the point.

And Crabtree's cousin needs to shut his mouth.

No it doesn't, it just fits your argument better to bring position into it. Young got paid more than the player picked before him. That's precedent, because it had never really occured before.

I agree wholeheartidly, Crabtree's cousin is a nimrod.

Dr. Lecter
08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
What is the highest paid position in football?

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
What is the highest paid position in football?

When they are established I agree with you, but when you are an unproven commodity your position means little.

trapezeus
08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
for crabtree, isnt' there a critical point, where if they don't get him signed on before a certain date, then the 49ers carry all the leverage? I assume that point is after week 1. If the 49ers live happily without him in the first game, can't the 49ers send crabtree a message and the nfl as a whole by (in a noncollusion manner) make sure when crabtree goes into the draft next year that he doesn't go in the first round?

The way i see it, he has a little leverage because the 49ers may want him because they really need him. but if they see that they are ok without him or willing to make a point, i think the rest of the nfl will back up the 49ers and make crabtree pay dearly for re-entering the draft.

yordad
08-14-2009, 11:05 AM
for crabtree, isnt' there a critical point, where if they don't get him signed on before a certain date, then the 49ers carry all the leverage? I assume that point is after week 1. If the 49ers live happily without him in the first game, can't the 49ers send crabtree a message and the nfl as a whole by (in a noncollusion manner) make sure when crabtree goes into the draft next year that he doesn't go in the first round?

The way i see it, he has a little leverage because the 49ers may want him because they really need him. but if they see that they are ok without him or willing to make a point, i think the rest of the nfl will back up the 49ers and make crabtree pay dearly for re-entering the draft.The Al Davises and the Jerry Jonses will not care about the rest of the NFL.

trapezeus
08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
i think they will with an uncapped year on the horizon. if they can stick to their guns on this, they have a legitimate chance of changing the current rookie system. And they also send a message, "we can keep this horrible system as long as you play within the parameters. Ifyou are going to make wild claims for compensation before taking a snap outside those guidelines, well then, we'll just change the entire system and no rookie is going to get these kind of deals going forward."

jamze132
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
So how "soon" should we expect to see Maybin in a Bills camp?

DraftBoy
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Next week Id bet.

Goobylal
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
BillsWin had a thread on this which stated some of the same things I have (good job), but I also got some interesting info on how the "negotiations" went.

Not that Maybin's side did anything wrong, but from what I'm told, you can't blame the Bills for the stalemate............

http://www.salsports.com/MaybinClose.htm
Like I said in my response to BillsWin, this was all on Maybin's side. The Bills knew what Maybin deserved, based on what they gave McKelvin (who was also the 11th overall pick) last year, and especially after Moreno signed almost a week ago. There was no benefit to the Bills in waiting to see what Crabtree got, but there was major incentive for Maybin and his agent to wait. And it's quite possible that by putting himself behind by missing so much camp and (at least so far) 2 pre-season games, he loses out on a lot of playing-time incentives.

BillsWin
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Sal. cant wait till this guy is a Bill.

jamze132
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Next week Id bet.
Rumors.

Coach Sal
08-14-2009, 05:56 PM

That I have no indication about.

As usual with these things, there could be a minor hold-up which takes days to resolve.

Could be a bonus, a clause, whatever.

But I think both parties know how important it is to get him into camp as soon as possible.

I think (my opinion, not from any source) he'll be in camp sometime next week.

T-Long
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
It's funny when people are now coming out with stories that "Maybin is close to signing..." No ****!!!! All these other guys around him are now signed. Joe Blow can say, oh hey by the way, talks are heating up with the Bills and Maybin. OF COURSE THEY ARE!!! Geeez....

Night Train
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Next week Id bet.

...and it's not going to make the difference in 2-3 games. He's a situational pass rusher that will be moved around the line. I still like the pick but he'll be better with the next coach. He'll learn as the year goes on.

That first step of his is amazing.

OpIv37
08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
It's funny when people are now coming out with stories that "Maybin is close to signing..." No ****!!!! All these other guys around him are now signed. Joe Blow can say, oh hey by the way, talks are heating up with the Bills and Maybin. OF COURSE THEY ARE!!! Geeez....

Coach Sal has nailed some stories before, and he even had the TO story before anyone else, even the national media. A lot of people come on here and talk ****, but he's not one of them. He's been very accurate so far and doesn't post things like this unless he has some inside info.

k-oneputt
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Monday

T-Long
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Coach Sal has nailed some stories before, and he even had the TO story before anyone else, even the national media. A lot of people come on here and talk ****, but he's not one of them. He's been very accurate so far and doesn't post things like this unless he has some inside info.

Oh that's not what I meant about Sal...I know that he is broken some of the stories and is a great guy. I was saying it more as everyone out there is making the same comment that "Maybin is close". Or "talks are heating up". My daughter could have said the same thing based on just regular public knowledge of what else is going on with the other draft picks.

Breaking T.O. story or any other one out there, is good stuff. Saying Maybin is close to me is not "breaking news".

Coach Sal
08-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh that's not what I meant about Sal...I know that he is broken some of the stories and is a great guy. I was saying it more as everyone out there is making the same comment that "Maybin is close". Or "talks are heating up". My daughter could have said the same thing based on just regular public knowledge of what else is going on with the other draft picks.

Breaking T.O. story or any other one out there, is good stuff. Saying Maybin is close to me is not "breaking news".

No probs, T.

But I didn't post the story as "breaking news."

I posted it/wrote it to update what I knew and to fill in some of the gaps, like what I was told about the talks and where the money may land.

Also, I posted it BEFORE Raji or any of the other guys around him had signed. The report about Raji actually came out within the hour after I posted the story about Maybin for everyone on my site.

It's funny. Even after I was the first person ANYWHERE to report:
1. Lee Evans' contract extension;
2. Trent Edwards arm "issues" at the end of last season;
3. Buffalo interested in signing T.O............

........I still get the usual, "you don't know jack **** because you're just a guy on a message board with his own website looking for attention" stuff (not that YOU'RE saying that, of course).

But that's cool. Let people keep thinking that. The haters fuel my fire.

casdhf
08-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Coach Hack!

Philagape
08-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Thank you coach! :up:

Buddo
08-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info Coach.
A couple of things stand out to me.
Firstly, it should have been pretty obvious early, that the Maybin deal wasn't going to get done unless the deals around him were.
It is simply the way his agent works.
He wants to be sure he has covered all his bases.
The largest spanner in the works to that happening sooner, was fairly obviously Crabtree, and his stupid position.
That in turn, affected the other guys ahead of him, and had a trickle down effect on those around him.
Secondly, that this all has to sit pretty heavily, on the side of Maybin's 'camp'. As Sal pointed out, after having comparable picks the previous two years, the Bills FO knew largely where the deal was going to end up, all along.
Irrespective of 'precedent' (as Draftboy is talking about in respect of Vince Young's deal), I don't think Crabtree has a realistic case to put forward. The only receiver taken ahead of him, was for the Raiders. Now he may not like that, but the fault is, in part, his own. What little evidence exists, is that he is, by no stretch of the imagination, a 'burner' as a WR. Al Davis loves speed. Crabtree has shown nowhere, that he has it. Little wonder that Al picked someone who can really move, ahead of him. Until the 49ers, I doubt anyone was that interested in him tbh.
Imho, as of about now, the 49ers should be in 'take it or leave it' mode. Crabtree could enter the draft next year, but he wouldn't be a top 10 pick. He might be lucky to get picked in about the 4th round, as teams will not want to risk a higher pick on another potential holdout.

sdbillsfan2
08-15-2009, 11:52 AM
MAY-B IN OR MAY-NOT -B-IN

Either way he's losing valuable time!

Nighthawk
08-15-2009, 12:07 PM
No probs, T.

I posted it/wrote it to update what I knew and to fill in some of the gaps, like what I was told about the talks and where the money may land.

Also, I posted it BEFORE Raji or any of the other guys around him had signed. The report about Raji actually came out within the hour after I posted the story about Maybin for everyone on my site.

........I still get the usual, "you don't know jack **** because you're just a guy on a message board with his own website looking for attention" stuff (not that YOU'RE saying that, of course).

Coach, it is very obvious to anybody with a brain that you do have connections within the organization who provides you with excellent insight into what goes on at One Bills Drive. I appreciate all the news you bring to this site and encourage you to keep doing it. Without your updates, this site doesn't have a credible source. In ending, I say "thank you" and keep up the good work!

T-Long
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
No probs, T.

Glad you understand that isn't directed to you in any way. I'm talking more about everyone else chiming in that Maybin is close and blah blah. Obviously you are connected and do a great job covering the Bills and letting us all know what you are hearing. I guess I should have just posted my comment in a different thread so it wasn't taken out of context with your original post. It was just something on my mind. Keep up the good work my friend!!