PDA

View Full Version : Orton throws 3 INTs in Bronco Debut

SyraBillsLican
08-14-2009, 10:14 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=147669

Some broncos fans declared Edwards to be on par with the likes of Orton, Russell and Travaris Jackson.

Others completely forget the Bills exist.

I think these fans need to be reminded of a certain game in a certain week 16 of a certain 2008 nfl season.

(though many on this board will no doubt agree with them)

Scumbag College
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
"think the bottom tier of qbs in the nfl are all interchangeable

edwards, campbell, garrard, bulger, collins, jackson, orton

but at least orton has the potential to be better...or at least that's what i'm hoping....and praying"

That post was pretty funny. Orton has been in the league for a couple of years and has seemed to regress...Bulger has won games. Garrard is a solid QB. All Kerry Collins does is win games. Edwards has played well at times.

The Broncos front office got rid of one of the best coaches in the league and a damn good young quarterback, all in one season. They screwed up a yearly playoff contender and I bet they'll be fighting with KC and Oakland for last place in the AFC West.

Buffalogic
08-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Orton blows.

McDaniels is a fool.

billsfanone
08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't think Edwards proved anything yet. Emphasis on yet. I'm a huge Trent fan too saying this.

ServoBillieves
08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
"think the bottom tier of qbs in the nfl are all interchangeable

edwards, campbell, garrard, bulger, collins, jackson, orton

but at least orton has the potential to be better...or at least that's what i'm hoping....and praying"

That post was pretty funny. Orton has been in the league for a couple of years and has seemed to regress...Bulger has won games. Garrard is a solid QB. All Kerry Collins does is win games. Edwards has played well at times.

The Broncos front office got rid of one of the best coaches in the league and a damn good young quarterback, all in one season. They screwed up a yearly playoff contender and I bet they'll be fighting with KC and Oakland for last place in the AFC West.

What the **** is wrong with you Scum? You think Garrard and Bulger are poor? Also, after getting concussed that puts Trent in the same boat as them? Jackson deserves to ride the pine behind Sage, Orton for Cutler was a raging piss shot. Let's see what the win % of the recent years for Collins was.

We'll see what the future brings, but you're asinine for putting Edwards among such "low" talent.

Scumbag College
08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
What the **** is wrong with you Scum? You think Garrard and Bulger are poor? Also, after getting concussed that puts Trent in the same boat as them? Jackson deserves to ride the pine behind Sage, Orton for Cutler was a raging piss shot. Let's see what the win % of the recent years for Collins was.

We'll see what the future brings, but you're asinine for putting Edwards among such "low" talent.

I'm not sure what your problem with what I wrote is...

I said Garrard is solid and Bulger has won games in the past. I wrote that Edwards has looked solid at times. Kerry Collins led his team to a 13-3 record last year, that's pretty good. I'm not sure if you are offended that I put Edwards in with this group of QBs, if you think he's better, or worse. I don't know who Jackson is, I'm guessing Sage is Sage Rosenfels whom I didn't say anything about. I wrote that Denver got rid of a great coach and a good young QB for an unproven head coach and a QB that hasn't done much of anything.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what set you off.

Check the fifth post or so by Apoc...that's where I got the quote from that i commented on

Lexwhat
08-15-2009, 12:25 AM

That wasn't his opinion. He was quoting from someone else.

Lexwhat
08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure what your problem with what I wrote is...

I said Garrard is solid and Bulger has won games in the past. I wrote that Edwards has looked solid at times. Kerry Collins led his team to a 13-3 record last year, that's pretty good. I'm not sure if you are offended that I put Edwards in with this group of QBs, if you think he's better, or worse. I don't know who Jackson is, I'm guessing Sage is Sage Rosenfels whom I didn't say anything about. I wrote that Denver got rid of a great coach and a good young QB for an unproven head coach and a QB that hasn't done much of anything.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what set you off.

Check the fifth post or so by Apoc...that's where I got the quote from that i commented on
He thinks you made that quote.

BillsWin
08-15-2009, 12:41 AM
I hate the Broncos. It may sound unfounded, but I now associate Kevin Everrett's accident with the Broncos, not that they hurt him, its just that we were playing them. Of course, it doesnt help that Cutler was an ass and captain douche wad is the new head coach. Or that Kyle Orton is a Losman clone.

I remember John Elway and liking the Broncos. Now, I cant stomach watching them.

BADTHINGSMAN
08-15-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't think Edwards proved anything yet. Emphasis on yet. I'm a huge Trent fan too saying this.

Agreed 100%.

Meathead
08-15-2009, 03:37 AM
right now trent IS at the bottom of that list. going by stats hes no better than orton, possibly worse

Ickybaluky
08-15-2009, 06:42 AM
I like Orton, and think he will do fine in Denver. Granted, he isn't as talented as Cutler, but he is a guy you can win with. His record as a starter is 20-12, which is pretty good.

Last year, Orton seemed to be coming into his own. He played really well over the first half of the season, going 151-for-244 (61.9%), 1,777 Yds (7.3 Yds/Att), 10 TD, 4 Int, 90.8 QB Rating before getting hurt against Detriot.

After missing the following game with the injury, Orton returned and wasn't the same guy. He was 121-for-221 (54.8%), 1,195 Yds (5.4 yds/Att), 8 TD, 8 Int, 67.2 QB Rating over the remainder of the year. If he hadn't got hurt, he likely would have had a much better season.

Orton was playing in a new offense (one demanding on the QB) for a new team in his first preseason game. He had a rough start, making some mistakes. However, he is a bright guy who has been a winner, and he will turn it around. It will help him when Brandon Marshall returns. Denver has good offensive talent around him, and I think he will play well as the year goes along for Denver. He has to stay healthy and grow with the Denver offense.

I like Edwards, but it is silly to pick on Orton based off one rough start in preseason. I think both have a chance to be good players.

yordad
08-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I like Orton, and think he will do fine in Denver. Granted, he isn't as talented as Cutler, but he is a guy you can win with. His record as a starter is 20-12, which is pretty good.

Last year, Orton seemed to be coming into his own. He played really well over the first half of the season, going 151-for-244 (61.9%), 1,777 Yds (7.3 Yds/Att), 10 TD, 4 Int, 90.8 QB Rating before getting hurt against Detriot.

After missing the following game with the injury, Orton returned and wasn't the same guy. He was 121-for-221 (54.8%), 1,195 Yds (5.4 yds/Att), 8 TD, 8 Int, 67.2 QB Rating over the remainder of the year. If he hadn't got hurt, he likely would have had a much better season.

Orton was playing in a new offense (one demanding on the QB) for a new team in his first preseason game. He had a rough start, making some mistakes. However, he is a bright guy who has been a winner, and he will turn it around. It will help him when Brandon Marshall returns. Denver has good offensive talent around him, and I think he will play well as the year goes along for Denver. He has to stay healthy and grow with the Denver offense.

I like Edwards, but it is silly to pick on Orton based off one rough start in preseason. I think both have a chance to be good players.Good points. Out of curiosity, who would you rather have? You seem like an honest third party.

Nighthawk
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
It's pretty obvious that not many Bronco fans are very knowledgeable football fans. Orton is a mediocre QB and a big mistake by that fool of a HC they have. Edwards hasn't proved he deserves to be mentioned with the top QBs in the league, but I do like his potential better then Orton's.

Luisito23
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Orton's garbage...

SABURZFAN
08-15-2009, 08:57 AM
i don't think Denver should worry too much. Orton's a decent enough QB who has proven he can win in the NFL. the preseason is all about getting the timing down. as for the comparison with Edwards, neither one has proven that they can take the next step to become mid-tier QB's. however, they both have opportunities this year to make that happen.

justasportsfan
08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Cassel supposedly sucked too until Daniels devised a plan . We'll see what Daniels is made of as a HC. Awesome OC/DC.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2009, 09:25 AM
i don't think Denver should worry too much. Orton's a decent enough QB who has proven he can win in the NFL. the preseason is all about getting the timing down. as for the comparison with Edwards, neither one has proven that they can take the next step to become mid-tier QB's. however, they both have opportunities this year to make that happen.

Great post.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Great post.

i have over 43,000 of them. my Losman posts were the best though. :up:

Ickybaluky
08-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Good points. Out of curiosity, who would you rather have? You seem like an honest third party.

Edwards. He is bigger and more talented, with greater upside. Edwards has to prove himself, though.

Say what you want about Orton, but he has won games in the league. Orton is a smart QB with a great sense of timing and leadership, but he isn't real big and he doesn't have a quick release. He isn't suited to all offenses, but he does well as a spread QB with lots of short an intermediate throws, so he is a good fit for Denver. Edwards has a better release and arm, although arm strength is the most over-rated aspect of QB play.

I like Edwards more than some Bills fans, I would guess. He seems to be a bright guy who has a good grasp of the game. He has a nice quick release. I also think he has a plus arm, something Bills fans don't seem to see. Edwards has a better arm than most here give him credit for. Some give him the "check-down QB" criticism, saying he can't throw the deep ball. I remember people used to say the same thing about Brady. Funny how he got real good throwing the deep ball once he got Randy Moss.

The deep throws are harder to make, because they take longer to develop and are harder to coordinate. It takes an OL that can protect and a WR that can spread the field vertically, as much as a QB with a big arm. Edwards has the WR, time will tell if he has the OL.

Nighthawk
08-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Edwards. He is bigger and more talented, with greater upside. Edwards has to prove himself, though.

Say what you want about Orton, but he has won games in the league. Orton is a smart QB with a great sense of timing and leadership, but he isn't real big and he doesn't have a quick release. He isn't suited to all offenses, but he does well as a spread QB with lots of short an intermediate throws, so he is a good fit for Denver. Edwards has a better release and arm, although arm strength is the most over-rated aspect of QB play.

I like Edwards more than some Bills fans, I would guess. He seems to be a bright guy who has a good grasp of the game. He has a nice quick release. I also think he has a plus arm, something Bills fans don't seem to see. Edwards has a better arm than most here give him credit for. Some give him the "check-down QB" criticism, saying he can't throw the deep ball. I remember people used to say the same thing about Brady. Funny how he got real good throwing the deep ball once he got Randy Moss.

The deep throws are harder to make, because they take longer to develop and are harder to coordinate. It takes an OL that can protect and a WR that can spread the field vertically, as much as a QB with a big arm. Edwards has the WR, time will tell if he has the OL.

Honestly, this is one of the best thought out posts by a "non" Bills fan that I have ever read. It is amazing the things that people as a fans of a certain team don't see because they are so aggravated with the organization that it sort of blinds them. Hey, I'm guilty of that. As I've said earlier, I like Edwards' upside, I'm just waiting for him to put it all together. I just don't know if he is capable of doing so with this coaching staff in place.

Ickybaluky
08-15-2009, 06:03 PM
As I've said earlier, I like Edwards' upside, I'm just waiting for him to put it all together. I just don't know if he is capable of doing so with this coaching staff in place.

I think the 3 things Edwards needs to do for success:

1) Stay in the lineup consistently, although it is hard to blame him for getting injured

2) Not stare down a WR - sometimes he looks too long at the guy he is going to throw the ball to, instead of looking off the S. This is common with young QBs.

3) Work on his pocket awareness - Edwards has a pretty quick release, but sometimes he holds the ball a little long because he isn't sure what the defense is doing. He needs to move a little more in the pocket, and learn to give up on things when a play breaks down. Again, this is common with young QBs, and comes with experience.

DynaPaul
08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
He's Orton... what do you expect? I think a lot of Broncos fans are gonna be pissed this year.