PDA

View Full Version : So tell me this about this "no huddle"...

MikeInRoch
08-15-2009, 08:09 PM
With no huddles, the plays are yelled out by the QB to the players. Obviously, there's some sort of code that is used. What happens when teams catch up to the code?

Tatonka
08-15-2009, 08:12 PM
we are ****ed.

MikeInRoch
08-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, good. I'm sure that none of the smart people on the other teams will actually do that then...

Griff
08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, good. I'm sure that none of the smart people on the other teams will actually do that then...

jeez if the bills management walked on water you would say its because they can't swim.

Tatonka
08-15-2009, 08:18 PM
the audible system they use has all kinds of dummy calls and fake audibles built in to prevent people from knowing the calls..

Buffalogic
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
'Red Cheeto!' 'Blue mushroom!' 'WR slant!' 'Nacho 40!'

Other teams will never know what we are running!!

MikeInRoch
08-15-2009, 08:29 PM
jeez if the bills management walked on water you would say its because they can't swim.

Well, excuse me for being skeptical about the ability of our coaching staff to not get outsmarted by their opposition. Because there's so much evidence to support that.

Griff
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I really don't get you people, the Bills play vanilla offense and you say DJ is predictable, they play the no huddle and now the opposition is going to tap into our signals.

Let me guess you think Ralph Wilson is cheap too.

Lexwhat
08-15-2009, 08:59 PM
With no huddles, the plays are yelled out by the QB to the players. Obviously, there's some sort of code that is used. What happens when teams catch up to the code?

Actually, you may have a valid point. In the 1st pre-season game, the NBC commentator (forgot who) was discussing this issue regarding the no-huddle.

I don't have the answer to your question though. Maybe Dick Jauron should call up Tony Dungy and see how Manning and the Colts operated their no-huddle Offense.

Philagape
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Actually, you may have a valid point. In the 1st pre-season game, the NBC commentator (forgot who) was discussing this issue regarding the no-huddle.

I don't have the answer to your question though. Maybe Dick Jauron should call up Tony Dungy and see how Manning and the Colts operated their no-huddle Offense.

Or Jim Kelly

Lexwhat
08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
However, I should mention that the Colts run their own unique version of the no-huddle.

Maybe Edwards will reach that level of proficiency a few years down the road.

Philagape
08-15-2009, 09:07 PM
However, I should mention that the Colts run their own unique version of the no-huddle.

At the line Manning recites Greek philosophy and superconductor equations.
Which goes back to what Tonk said about fake signals

BADTHINGSMAN
08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
'Red Cheeto!' 'Blue mushroom!' 'WR slant!' 'Nacho 40!'

Other teams will never know what we are running!!

We are running snacks?

ServoBillieves
08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
My high school team ran a no-huddle. We changed letters, numbers, each week for each team. Also, depending on yardage and down, in week we'd go from "A-77 wide9" meaning play action-two hook routes and a 9 route (fly route) from the wide-out. Week later, it would be "P-33 slot9" same thing, threw D's off. All intracacies, change from letters to colors to numbers, probably bigger and different things in the NFL.

Should be interesting to see how it wears down Kris Jenkins, Wilfork, et cetera.

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:09 PM

code words are switch that trigger the actual play so the patterns can not be recognized

yordad
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
I really don't get you people, the Bills play vanilla offense and you say DJ is predictable, they play the no huddle and now the opposition is going to tap into our signals.

Let me guess you think Ralph Wilson is cheap too.Ralph Wilson is cheap. I think.

mysticsoto
08-15-2009, 11:56 PM
How did we run the no-huddle in the 90s and go to 4 straight superbowls in a row if you can pick the terminology apart and decipher it so easily?

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Thats where blanket calls come in. Calls that are used to cover up the real code.

Say our call for a quick slant, Z receiver corner route with RB swing right on two was:

Bravo, 42, check 90.

And a defense figured it out.

Well trent could say something different like

Lobster 42, Bravo check 90, Santa six!

The original code is in there, but now the opposing defense is like, "well what the hell does lobster santa mean!!!???"

and of course, the offensive coordinator must change his terminology throughout the season because you play your divisional opponents twice a piece.

So really the code may be Santa means go on two, but you could change it to Lobster, because Lobster is red.

maybe check 90 means quick slant, you could change it to something like Steel nine, or hot nine.

Its all interchangeable.

When Peyton does it, half the things he yells are blanket calls. He may step up to the line and yell,

"llama seven! pack nine! forty two strong! Red ninety eight! Fork! Santa!"

The real play call was probably pack nine fork.

who the hell knows. its all up to the QB and OC, they need to create ALOT of different calls. and the calls may change constantly.

I was a center in a no huddle offense. It is a crazy thing.

However we went on ball movement. So the snap count was between me and the QB. it made the calls alittle easier.

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:18 AM
what I was trying to say is that the code may never be the same thing twice. It is that complicated. Another reason why the offense needs to be focused and smart.

ServoBillieves
08-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Also Mike, head to youtube and watch the CNR video by Weird Al. Hilarious.

Griff
08-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Ralph Wilson is cheap. I think.

so thats why he overpaid for Kelsay, Walker and Dockery. Why he resigned Lee for so much, and signed TO. Cause he's cheap.

MikeInRoch
08-16-2009, 06:40 AM
How did we run the no-huddle in the 90s and go to 4 straight superbowls in a row if you can pick the terminology apart and decipher it so easily?

Well, partially because they didn't run it EVERY SINGLE DRIVE in the 90s. That's really my concern - overuse will allow smart teams to decyper it, even during a single game.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, partially because they didn't run it EVERY SINGLE DRIVE in the 90s. That's really my concern - overuse will allow smart teams to decyper it, even during a single game.
Not sure, but maybe like baseball, they can change the signals and verbal commands by changing the indicator, or sequence, or something. You have a good point though. Why not intermingle the no huddle with a standard offensive system. That way, the D couldn't get into any sort of rhythm.

justasportsfan
08-16-2009, 08:59 AM
they didn't have texting back then. Hello.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 08:59 AM

If it were that easy, nobody would bother running the no-huddle. Theoretically, the hurry up of the no-huddle will have the defenses with enough to worry about that they don't have time to sit back and decipher the calls that are being made, which include non-sensical and concocted mock additions that mean nothing to the team, but make it difficult to remember and decipher to another team.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
they didn't have texting back then. Hello.

Players are texting each other??? I guess the new helmets have more than just safety improvements...

Philagape
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
so thats why he overpaid for Kelsay, Walker and Dockery. Why he resigned Lee for so much, and signed TO. Cause he's cheap.

Cheapness is defined by what he doesn't spend, not what he spends. In this decade, the Bills are third-lowest in total payroll. Seventh-lowest since 2004.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2904608&postcount=11
Cheapness is what's left over under the cap. According to clump, last year they were almost $21 million under the cap.
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php
And he's certainly gone cheap on the coaches and FO.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Cheapness is defined by what he doesn't spend, not what he spends. In this decade, the Bills are third-lowest in total payroll. Seventh-lowest since 2004.
Cheapness is what's left over under the cap. According to clump, last year they were almost $21 million under the cap.
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

Could that be b'cse we have quite a few rookies on the team and we are getting (finally) alot of value for lower rd picks we've gotten???

Philagape
08-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Could that be b'cse we have quite a few rookies on the team and we are getting (finally) alot of value for lower rd picks we've gotten???

What value? Is the team winning yet?

The your use of the word "finally" illustrates a point that if a team goes cheap, it needs near-perfect drafting. Who's going to say they've had that?

justasportsfan
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Players are texting each other??? I guess the new helmets have more than just safety improvements...
DC to MLB. What do you think the MLB and Qb look at on their forearm?

Trent looks at his arm "TO is ur BFF . XoXo Turk"

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 09:23 AM
What value? Is the team winning yet?

The your use of the word "finally" illustrates a point that if a team goes cheap, it needs near-perfect drafting. Who's going to say they've had that?

If these low round picks contribute and are able to replace starters on the team, then they have value greater than those they are replacing.

Perfect? How do you define perfect? You need low round picks to develop into a good team. The Patriots have been getting good value from their lower round picks for years. I don't call the Patriots perfect nor do I say they have perfect drafts...but they've gotten great value out of their lower rds. That's how you become a good team! The Patriots were at #13 last year in terms of salary cap space...are they cheap?

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
DC to MLB. What do you think the MLB and Qb look at on their forearm?

Trent looks at his arm "TO is ur BFF . XoXo Turk"

My arm is saying, "Justa is smokin' another doobie..."

Philagape
08-16-2009, 09:37 AM
If these low round picks contribute and are able to replace starters on the team, then they have value greater than those they are replacing.

Perfect? How do you define perfect? You need low round picks to develop into a good team. The Patriots have been getting good value from their lower round picks for years. I don't call the Patriots perfect nor do I say they have perfect drafts...but they've gotten great value out of their lower rds. That's how you become a good team! The Patriots were at #13 last year in terms of salary cap space...are they cheap?

Again, where's our value? That's all I care about.
"If" is not value. To which low-round picks are you referring?

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Again, where's our value? That's all I care about.
"If" is not value. To which low-round picks are you referring?

The value is in replacing a starter - b'cse they prove to be better than what we had. Which low rd picks are contributing to our team regularly? Some like Kyle Williams and McGee have been contributing regularly for some time. Others are projecting to contribute alot (Corner, Lankster, Nic Harris, Nelson, Bell, etc).

SABURZFAN
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM

he's been doing it for 50 years. he's not going to change.

Philagape
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
The value is in replacing a starter - b'cse they prove to be better than what we had. Which low rd picks are contributing to our team regularly? Some like Kyle Williams and McGee have been contributing regularly for some time. Others are projecting to contribute alot (Corner, Lankster, Nic Harris, Nelson, Bell, etc).

So your whole line of thought hangs on McGee and Williams? Oy.
As for the young players, there's been a lot of potential in many other drafts too .... :ill: Value comes from results.
If your original statement was that we haven't been spending because of that, that's more disturbing than anything I can think of. Thanks for the bummer.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 01:39 PM
So your whole line of thought hangs on McGee and Williams? Oy.
As for the young players, there's been a lot of potential in many other drafts too .... :ill: Value comes from results.
If your original statement was that we haven't been spending because of that, that's more disturbing than anything I can think of. Thanks for the bummer.

Actually, no, Jason Peters needs to be included there also along with Youboty, Fred Jackson and a few others. I didn't feel like going through the entire roster. And the whole point was that we are getting more late rders contributing more lately which shows that we are getting better value from our draft picks.

Again, this is in answer to your assumption that b'cse we are not at full capacity in terms of salary cap, that that must mean Ralph is cheap...

Philagape
08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Actually, no, Jason Peters needs to be included there also along with Youboty, Fred Jackson and a few others. I didn't feel like going through the entire roster. And the whole point was that we are getting more late rders contributing more lately which shows that we are getting better value from our draft picks.

Again, this is in answer to your assumption that b'cse we are not at full capacity in terms of salary cap, that that must mean Ralph is cheap...

I'm not looking for "contributing" ... I want helping us win. The worst teams have plenty of young contributors.
If you're saying the Bills don't spend because they like the talent they have (an argument that can't include this year because FA begins long before the draft) ... I'd almost rather they be cheap. Better to be just cheap than cheap and crazy too.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm not looking for "contributing" ... I want helping us win. The worst teams have plenty of young contributors.
If you're saying the Bills don't spend because they like the talent they have (an argument that can't include this year because FA begins long before the draft) ... I'd almost rather they be cheap. Better to be just cheap than cheap and crazy too.

Unfortunately, I think the coaching staff may have alot to do with why we are not winning - perhaps moreso than the fact that we have young contributors. I suppose you can try and attribute cheapness to Ralph based on who he chose for coach, but I'm not really convinced that was a money issue either...

Dujek
08-16-2009, 04:55 PM

What happened in the old days before the headsets when people worked out the signals from the sidelines when plays were being sent in?

If they think it's happening they'll have to change the calls, I'd like to think they had two or three variations on calls for each play, just in case they were found out.

Stewie
08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
not that this has anything to do with anything in the NFL but..

I've always been a fan of a 3 digit number

352, 121, whatever, etc

odd means something, even means something. everyone knows which digit counts on a particular play or series.

that's a lot of permutations