PDA

View Full Version : BillsWin's take on CHI vs. BUF

BillsWin
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, I must say I was pretty shocked to see Trent come back on the field for a third series. Shocked, but happy. Trent has not proved anything yet, and needs just as much time on the field as some rookies do. Let's hop to it. These are my top 5 things that were good, and top 5 that were bad.

The Good:

1. The Bills' No Huddle Offense:
The jury is still out on the new no huddle scheme the Bills have been using as their main means of attack this off season. However, as the weeks roll on there is little doubt that kinks are being worked out. Last week, the Bills gained a net total of 247 yards on offense. That wasn't that good. Although they moved the ball well, there were plenty of moments where they just didnt go anywhere at all. Tonight, that wasnt a problem. I couldnt believe my ears when the announcer said it took until the fourth quarter for their to be a three and out. Thats a good thing. The Bills also increased their total yardage to 375. They also put more points on the board, although they should have had more. Edwards did a fantastic job of running the no huddle, especially towards the end of his play time. 10 of 10 for 80 yards isnt bad. Something tells me that hed have an even bigger day had TO been on the field to open up the passing game more. GO FITZGERALD! What a way to say screw you to the naysayers. 13/16 for 143 yards.

2. Time of Possession
Last week, the no huddle offense stalled alot. It forced our defense back on the field quick, not letting them rest. Which resulted in the Titans being able to sustain longer drives. The Titans held the ball for 32:58, with the Bills having it for only 27:02. Odds are you will lose that game. So, the Bills got more movement this week. Because they were moving the ball so well, they were also able to slow down so to speak. They could let the clock run down a bit and yet they were still pressing the Bear's defense and making it so they couldnt substitute. This week the Bill's had a TOP of 38:00 to the Bear's 22:00.

3. The Defense
Well, there can be no doubt that the Bills have a stout run defense. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they could have one of the best defenses in the league. But, they lack one necessity. A consistent pass rush. Now, thats not to say we didnt do MUCH better this week than last at getting to the QB. We were in his face almost the whole game. Especially towards the second half of the game. The problem was it wasnt consistent enough. Especially with our first group. On the McKelvin INT, there was some good pressure on Cutler, and he threw a bad pass that McKelvin made a fantastic play on. Our run defense is stout, and our DBs are making plays on the balls. I love it. If Maybin comes in and provides a good rush than this defense looks pretty good. Very solid. LOTS of depth.

4. The o-line
The offensive line did a much better job. They werent all pro, but they held their ground. The two rookies looked pretty solid, Walker got run up field a bit, but held his ground for the majority of his time on the field. Bell made some mistakes, but still looks great. The O-line still needs time, but you cant deny they have potential nor that they have gotten better even with a week. Wood is feisty.

5. Rookies
I think we did well this draft. Our rookies all look like they have a place on the roster. I wasnt sold on Cary Harris, but that pass break up was a vet move. Lankster looks fantastic. The INTs were pretty easy, but that second one he did peel off of his coverage and jumped all over a bad pass. Nic Harris made two or three mistakes in coverage but made a big play in the endzone, and can really hit. Our o-line rookies look like they are finally understanding the game. Shawn Nelson may be becoming one of my favorite players. He has the size and ball skills to become a big time NFL TE. I love to watch this guy, and that TD reception was nice.

The Bad

1. Ko Simpson
I really dont want to write alot about Simpson because I find his story extremely dissapointing. After a pretty good rookie season, he pulled some off field stuff that ticked me off and then fell off the map. His frequent ankle injuries make him an enigma, and it seems that he has no desire to win his job back. He made several BIG mistakes. At least one resulted in a TD. I think he may be playing himself off this roster.

2. Red Zone efficiency.
Gotta score the touchdowns. I dont like it that we have to rely on our third and fourth stringers to punch in the ball.

3. Turnovers.
sure, we got 5 ourselves but lost 3.

4. lack of run blocking
I may have marked down the o-line as a plus. But I am putting them down as a negative too. Theyre run blocking is subpar, as was SOME of their pass pro.

5. Lack of pass rush with the first team
I really dont have to talk about this subject. It looked alot better than before, but Schobel gets penetration, then gets run upfield. Same with Kelsay. Bryan and Ellis did a great job today though.

There was SO much more to talk about, but thats all Ill say tonight. All in all this game gave us more positives to take away from it.

Good job Bills, thanks for the Win.

BillsWin
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
just to add something, the quick slant will become a staple in our no huddle attack this year. So far it has worked with Owens, Evans, Parrish and Jenkins, and almost hit hawthorne in stride.

Mitchell55
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I think Stupar should make the team over Schouman. 10-102 yds. I think there is a very good competition between Hawthorne, Jenkins, and Huggins.

BillsWin
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I think Stupar should make the team over Schouman. 10-102 yds. I think there is a very good competition between Hawthorne, Jenkins, and Huggins.

Stupar was another person I wanted to highlight. It is highly doubtful the Bills drop Nelson or Fine. They love Schouman, but Stupar has been great in preseason. Its an interesting situation.

yordad
08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I think Stupar should make the team over Schouman. 10-102 yds. I think there is a very good competition between Hawthorne, Jenkins, and Huggins.The jury is still out for me as far as Stupar vs Schouman. I didn't watch Stupar block, and the sample isn't that big for the guy. If he can sneak onto the roster, he can make his case as time goes. With the Bills seemingly going with the 2 Tightend set, it seems likely at this point.

The competition between the 3 WRs you speak of honestly doesn't really matter to me. I like them all. And, I am sure there are some team they can make. But simply, I think all 3 will get caught in a numbers game and be cut. It is a shame too. Too bad we couldn't bottle up some of that talent and move it to another position.

yordad
08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh, and good post BillsWin. I guess I was typing my thread when you posted this, but many points are similar. IMHO, good job man.

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought Trent look good minus T.O.....

but our red zone O is stll troubling

Paranoid006
08-15-2009, 11:31 PM
nice read Billswin

BillsWin
08-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks yordad and paranoid.

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, I must say I was pretty shocked to see Trent come back on the field for a third series. Shocked, but happy. Trent has not proved anything yet, and needs just as much time on the field as some rookies do. . .

I still like Trent efficientness. His ability to keep mistakes to a minumum why he gains experience necessary to be a solid to great NFL QB. When we have T.O and Evans running wild and everyone else benfitting from it I fully expect some things to open up for this O, and get Trent some opportunities to step it up

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:55 PM
just to add something, the quick slant will become a staple in our no huddle attack this year. So far it has worked with Owens, Evans, Parrish and Jenkins, and almost hit hawthorne in stride.

it seem to function with all the QB's to a degree, and there have been a few different contributors across the board. Hopefully they just keep imroving on it and using it as the weapon it can be when it's run well

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:09 AM
it seem to function with all the QB's to a degree, and there have been a few different contributors across the board. Hopefully they just keep imroving on it and using it as the weapon it can be when it's run well

T.O could have gone the distance last week on his. Lets face it, our WRs are awesome. Just flat out awesome. Remember a few years ago when we were all complaining that we had no playmaking WRs. Weve got like 6 now.

ddaryl
08-16-2009, 12:14 AM
T.O could have gone the distance last week on his. Lets face it, our WRs are awesome. Just flat out awesome. Remember a few years ago when we were all complaining that we had no playmaking WRs. Weve got like 6 now.

and all we need now is to know if the OL can get better, and are the Bills coaches ready to find away to play their best 5 OL

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:26 AM
and all we need now is to know if the OL can get better, and are the Bills coaches ready to find away to play their best 5 OL

I think the OL did much better tonight than last week. In fact, I am VERY surprised at how they are doing so early in the preseason. I didnt think theyd be able to protect Trent anywhere near what they have been until the game vs. Pittsburgh which I was afraid about because Trent will most likely play alot in that game and Pitts D is GOOD. I dont want him getting hurt. No, I love where they are headed. They all seem to be in great shape.

My biggest disappointment is Walker. I mean, he gets beat on the outside so much. Hes lucky hes so big though, because although he gets beat he just has to step to the outside to wedge himself in between the DE and Trent. That wont work all the time. If he just dropped 10 pounds hed prob be able to move quick enough to be a pretty good LT.