X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

My takes on the game.....

McKelvin got an INT. What stats won't show, at a glance, is the Bills got significant pressure on the play. It was nice to see. See guys, that is what happens when you apply pressure. Hopefully Maybin can amp that up a little.

On Edwards sack he was looking to his right the entire time. The guy covering Parrish blitzed from his blind side. If he had noticed, Parrish would have been the hot read. Hopefully he sees that on film and can recognize it sooner next time. The announcers called it a coverage sack. I think may have been wrong.

Actually, the O- line didn't look stellar, but they looked like they were coming around a little bit. Overall, I really liked what I saw.

Looking at the big picture, Edwards looked very good. 10 for 10 is hard to argue with. Owens wasn't in the lineup, so that is a considerable mitigating circumstance for all the dink passes. I mean, not counting the sweet pass to Lee, Edwards completed 9 passes for 43 yards. Kind of pedestrian. But I will take it. If he sustained anything close to it for an entire game, the Bear would have been waxed.

Another muffed punt? Gez. And where is the fair catch? I guess these young guys are trying to impress, but Rhodes should know better. I expect better from a Bobby April unit.

Spencer Johnson was fairly beastly at times.

Nic Harris might be the best strong side LB on the roster. Actually, I am pretty convinced he is. His play at the goal line (tipped pass) didn't hurt his chances of overtaking Ellison either. It was the Bills second unit Vs the Bears first unit offense. It was on a shortened field (due to Rhodes muff) too, which makes the stop extra impressive.

Parrish. Gez man. That dude practically just breathed on you in traffic and you fumbled. You want to be out there more and you do crap like that? Good thing you came back and made a couple plays after. But, frankly, that is why you ride the pine.

There was a Live Action Chris Ellis sighting!! A Sack and a fumble recovery. Awesome. I would really like that guy to show us something. He and Copeland Bryan were applying decent pressure. Which makes me ask....

What happened to Denny? Did he play?

Fitz looked like a viable backup. Sweet. He was 13 of 16 for 143. Pretty darn good.

Bills CBs pressed at times. That was nice to see. Maybe it was a result of the DEs apply good pressure.

Where the heck was Steve Johnson? Is he still injured?

The Bills ran exclusively 2 tighends, or 3 wide. In other words... no fullback. This may give Jonathan Stupar a chance. He made good on a couple opportunities today. Congrats Jon.

ELLIS LANKSTER!! He made me look sooo money. I was watching with a couple buddies. You know, the kind that are basically Sunday fans. The don't have boring jobs like me where I can watch every move. Anyways, I see a couple questionable passes and I was thinking "now is the time", so I said "hey guys, I guarantee Lankster gets an Int this game. He might make this team. He has been impressing.". They were like "WHO?" Then BAM. and then Bam AGAIN. Then there was nearly a third BAM. Gez, I hope ther is room for a 6th CB, cuz I don't think we will be able to stash that guy on the practice squad.

And, the same thing happened with Nelson. I was like "Dang Stupar is making a push, he might make this team as a 4th TE". One guy was like "4th? He is looking like a 3rd". I said "naw, you haven't seen Nelson then". Then another guy said "You're right, he hasn't done anything yet". BAM, TD like seriously 20 seconds later. That play looks very hard to guard against.

4th quarter the Bills were leaving time on the play clock. Unacceptable with the lead. I don't care if it is preseason. You practice getting it right now, plain and simple. Sure enough, they ended up punting with like 30 seconds left. The game should have already been over.

Um.... McIntyre is a weapon? Who would have guessed. He looked really good with the ball. I wasn't really judging his production because he was doing it vs 3rds. I was just noticing how powerful and fluid he looked. As a FB, I thought he was a goner (with the new found 2 TE set). But, he may be able to make waves as a goal line ball carrier. Who would have thought?

The Bills out gained the bears 375 to 225. I know they had an extra game already, but was hard not to notice the score was a lot closer then it should have been. Pretty much the Bills looked better with the 1s,2s,and 3s on D and O. And I don't think I am sounding like a homer saying it.

I don't want to read too much into the win, or the score. It was a very promising and encouraging game. The Bills won many of the 1 on 1 matches I was watching. And, we didn't even have our shinny new WR!

Thoughts????
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: My takes on the game.....

DVR'ed it. Great, great push by the D-line for once in their miserable lives, Spencer Johnson showed his ugly mug, Chris Ellis may live up to his 3rd round potential, UDFA's dazzled (Johnathon Stupar? Yes please), Lankster showed he can play with the big boys, and in the receiving game/defense, we're pretty damn deep.

You're right with Corey McIntyre, who'd of thunk he'd stick his neck out. Also, with the performance and intensity (speed even) that Stupar showed tonight, I hope we keep him around for a while, maybe move Schou to FB/H-B and let Stupar be the #3.

Coaching was skeptical in the 4th, but in the intricate world of pre-season, they want to see as much of these guys as possible.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

And yes, Stevie is still injured, which gave CJ Hawthorne and Justin Jenkins a huge jump on Hardy. I would honestly not be shocked if Hardy gets overtaken by JJ, he's been doing phenomenal this camp/pre-season games.

Also... COPELAND BRYAN!? Where the hell did this guy come from? Great push, excellent hand usage, and speed to get to the QB. With Denney slacking off, maybe Cope can sneak in front of him.
      Last edited by ServoBillieves; 08-15-2009, 10:35 PM.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Agree w/pretty much everything Yordad, except that I gave the Oline a little more credit than you seem to be. I thought they did really well. Maybe it's just that my expectations were low with 2 rookies on the Oline and the entire shuffle...

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Agree w/pretty much everything Yordad, except that I gave the Oline a little more credit than you seem to be. I thought they did really well. Maybe it's just that my expectations were low with 2 rookies on the Oline and the entire shuffle...
          I agree the O-line settled in. And, compared to what I expected they were pretty good. But, when Chicago had in their first team D, they had me worried for Trent at times. All in all, passing grades at this point. I was happy with it.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad

On Edwards sack he was looking to his right the entire time. The guy covering Parrish blitzed from his blind side. If he had noticed, Parrish would have been the hot read. Hopefully he sees that on film and can recognize it sooner next time. The announcers called it a coverage sack. I think may have been wrong.

Thoughts????

He already saw it. In the post game press conference Trent said both sacks were his fault. He said exactly what you posted. Parrish was his hot read and he missed him.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Novacane
              He already saw it. In the post game press conference Trent said both sacks were his fault. He said exactly what you posted. Parrish was his hot read and he missed him.
              Awesome. Yeah, if you watch the play, Parrish recognized it too. He barely even ran up field. He ran out of the camera view with has hand out along the LOS toward the sideline so that Trent had the angle.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

best observation post so far

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  best observation post so far
                  Thanks ddaryl. Basically I just jot a couple notes during the game, things I kind of want to mention, or help confirm. You know, if you find out a lot of other people see a lot of the same things, I think it kind of helps confirm what we think we saw. I like reading these things.

Actually, I think more of us could/should do this.

I know there is a lot more to say about what we saw, and I know a lot more happened then what I noticed.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                    Thanks ddaryl. Basically I just jot a couple notes during the game, things I kind of want to mention, or help confirm. You know, if you find out a lot of other people see a lot of the same things, I think it kind of helps confirm what we think we saw. I like reading these things.

Actually, I think more of us could/should do this.

I know there is a lot more to say about what we saw, and I know a lot more happened then what I noticed.
                    right on... Your observation were pretty even keel...

we have reason to hope after tonight

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

If T.O. played Trent would have thrown something like 12 of 14 for 125 yards and maybe a TD. Why? Its simple.

He would have thrown more because there would have been more opportunities in the pass game. Coverages would have been different, because instead of Lee and Reed, youd have two probowl caliber WRs staring you down. Trent would see more mismatches and coverages, so hed check to more pass plays. probably about 4 more.

The more throws, the more opportunities for incomplete passes, so I tacked on a couple.

The yardage would increase because instead of having to check down, he could hit an open Owens or an Evans who beat the man coverage.

And a possible TD, because, well... T.O is money baby.

I am The Batman.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        • Jan 2005

I agree its the T.O. factor combined with Evans that opens things up more

Just like in the Superbowl daze... you need 2 WR's that require attention. Reed / Lofton... Evans / TO
                        Last edited by ddaryl; 08-16-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin
                          If T.O. played Trent would have thrown something like 12 of 14 for 125 yards and maybe a TD. Why? Its simple.

He would have thrown more because there would have been more opportunities in the pass game. Coverages would have been different, because instead of Lee and Reed, youd have two probowl caliber WRs staring you down. Trent would see more mismatches and coverages, so hed check to more pass plays. probably about 4 more.

The more throws, the more opportunities for incomplete passes, so I tacked on a couple.

The yardage would increase because instead of having to check down, he could hit an open Owens or an Evans who beat the man coverage.

That is what we all have envisioned. It sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin

Best post I've seen in a while.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

Great job yordad... I didn't see a minute of the game but I feel like I watched it now! Good to get some insight into how things are developing.

Comment

Working...
                              X