• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Observations on Bills vs Bears game

A much improved Bills team I thought. I'm sure the negative nancys out there can find something negative to focus solely on and criticize, but overall I thought play was outstanding. Here are some observations of mine:

- Trent has latched on to the No-huddle well. My only little criticism is that he be able to get up to the line quicker to catch opponents trying to change/substitute. I absolutely love when Peyton catches others and gets a free 5 yds out of it. It really shows qb smarts to do this. I think they tried to do this at one point. They need to push the pace at times. By the 4th quarter, we can have DTs gasping for breath. Of course, the entire O needs to make sure they are in top shape!

- On that same note, I was impressed with Fitzpatrick's no-huddle play also. I feel so much better now having him as #2 than I did with Hamdan.

- On Hamdan, I'm not sure if the interception he threw was his fault or his receiver (the TV analysts seem to think it was the receiver's fault), but if it wasn't his fault, he needs to get in his receiver's face about it (TE Travis McCall ?). He was made to look bad and I seriously wonder if they should be giving QB Matt Baker more time?

- By the 3rd quarter, I was going to post something to the effect of what does everyone think of keeping both Omon and Hall and getting rid of our FB McIntyre. Then in the 4th qtr, Corey begins pushing piles back and running well with the ball. Geez, I hate to get rid of Hall b'cse he seems like a good prospect, and yet, we just can't get rid of anyone else and we absolutely cannot carry 5 RBs. He actually might qualify to keep in the PS again...I guess this is a good problem to have though.

- TE Jonathan Stupar was actually playing well as were all our TEs. It's about time our TEs started to play better. And I was absolutely impressed with Shawn Nelson's call as WR and going up to endzone and blowing away his defender. He made it look really easy too. I really relish the thought of having TO, Evans, Hardy and Nelson...even Steve Johnson - on Endzone plays...Trent should be able to throw a jump ball to any of them and have them come down with it!!!

- The Oline overall looked solid. I can't believe that they are performing this well this quickly. I look forward to continue watching them in the next game to make sure this wasn't just a 1-game fluke, but I am very surprised that they are playing this well already!

- On defense, the run D looks much better than last year. Chris Ellis is showing some signs of improvement and I actually liked Copeland Bryan's plays also. He attacked hard and on his strip - he actually went for that rather than going for a sack to make himself look good! Is Chris Ellis really 261 lbs like buffalobills.com says? He looked remarkably fit and thin. If he is, I think that's fantastic!

- I think it's great that we have some fantastic CBs on our roster. And we
    won't have to break the bank to keep McGee...in fact, he will likely not be missed at all with the level of talent we have.

- Nic Harris looked really good.

I don't have many negatives from this game:

- One thing I didn't like is that the Bills D doesn't seem to be playing TEs very well. Last game and this game, the TEs seem to be able to catch whenever they were thrown. I don't want to read too much into this - vanilla defense and all, but still...we seem vulnerable to TE attacks.

- Walker played well, but as I said in another post he was beat in one play that ended up costing Trent a sack - though I think they technically blamed the sack on Levitre. I really want Walker to lose 20 lbs. He has alot of mass and should be able to do it.

- The Oline could still run block better and open up wider holes, but my guess is this will be an ongoing improvement.

- This was against a 4-3 defense. Can they perform just as good with a 3-4 ?

- I thought Ko Simpson played poorly. I really hope we get better depth behind our starters. Between him, Wilson and Wendling, I'm not really happy at having any one of them in there.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Observations on Bills vs Bears game

Chris Ellis looked like a DE tonight

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
      Chris Ellis looked like a DE tonight
      That's important b'cse I don't think we'll see much of Maybin this year. He's way behind and his catching up will take time. We could use somebody stepping up and sitting Kelsay down!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
        • Jan 2005

I agree on you assessment on Fitzie... I am a lot less worried after seeing his performance tonight

Stupar was stupendous, and even Nelson looked decent, but Fine is the starter... Fine was a very underrated pick up by so many, but I've been on the FIne train since he started getting playing time last season.

I think keeping McIntyre as the 4th back would be smart. He punishes when he runs an moves the pile well. I would like to see more of him though...

Hard ot watch the OL thats what tivo is for... But were not terrible
        Last edited by ddaryl; 08-15-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

I agree on you assessment on Fitzie... I am a lot less worried after seeing his performance tonight

Stupar was stupendous, and even Nelson looked decent, but Fine is the starter... Fine was a very underrated pick up by so many, but I've been on the FIne train since he started getting playing time last season.

I think keeping McIntyre as the 4th back would be smart. He punishes when he runs an moves the pile well. I would like to see more of him though...

Hard ot watch the OL thats what tivo is for... But were not terrible
          You think Fine is chosen over Schouman? Last I saw, Schouman was considered the #1 TE and Fine was behind him...I suspect after this year, Nelson may pass them both though!

Comment

• ddaryl
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
            You think Fine is chosen over Schouman? Last I saw, Schouman was considered the #1 TE and Fine was behind him...I suspect after this year, Nelson may pass them both though!

yeah I think Fine gets the nod when the season starts... but I reserve the right to be wrong...

Fine has been solid whenever he gets an opportunity IMO

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

yeah I think Fine gets the nod when the season starts... but I reserve the right to be wrong...

Fine has been solid whenever he gets an opportunity IMO
              They are both short and Schouman is too light (Schouman 6'2 - 223 lbs, Fine 6'3 - 247). Nelson is more the prototypical TE at 6'5, 240 lbs (which he'll likely get bigger) and has superb hands...I don't think it'll take him long to overtake them regardless of which one starts.

Comment

• ddaryl
                • Jan 2005

but Fine just looks solid all a round TE out there to me.. but then again I haven't studied him or any of the TE's that in depth or exclusively. Just looking for players to make plays. Fine was making somer nice grabs last season for th elimited time they played him. I beleive last week he had a few catches...

I have the game Tivo I thin I wil pay some attention to TE bokcing and OL blocking

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Didn't I tell you guys about both Chris Ellis and Ellis Lankster? They were my training camp sleepers. Honestly, I would be shocked if they both didn't push for lots of playing time this year. I see Ellis pushing Denney for the 3rd DE spot. I also see Lankster getting lots of special teams reps, but sliding up to dime defense by the middle of the season. I'm calling it right now.... Drayton Florence gets cut after Training Camp. Your 5 CBs are....

Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster. Cary Harris will be stashed on the practice squad.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    • Jan 2005

When Ellis beat the LT on the outside edge he caught my attention. I haven't see a Bills DE do that in a long time.

Hopefully Maybin shows that kind of abilty when he gets in here...

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Harris should start. Ive said it since we drafted him. Smart, HARD HITTER, studious player and quick learner. Great instinct. Knows where the ball is. Loved him at OU, love him as a Bill.
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                        Harris should start. Ive said it since we drafted him. Smart, HARD HITTER, studious player and quick learner. Great instinct. Knows where the ball is. Loved him at OU, love him as a Bill.
                        Agreed. He's definitely another guy that has impressed me at camp.

Is it me or is our new/old scout that we brought back already paying off big time? The 2009 draft may easily be the best one we have had in years!

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          Agreed. He's definitely another guy that has impressed me at camp.

Is it me or is our new/old scout that we brought back already paying off big time? The 2009 draft may easily be the best one we have had in years!
                          Buddy Nix. Love him. but I doubt he had much say in this draft, he came on late in the recruiting process. I bet he had SOME say, but not as much as he will next season when he actually has been out on campuses and talked with the actual players.
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Dujek
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2008

Quick thoughts on the game:

First team defense looks excellent against the run, though they still seemed to have problems getting to the QB. The secondary looks good, and Poz was flying to the ball, exemplified by the fact that he was there first on the Cutler to Hester completion.

First team offense - the skill positions look more than solid, Edwards looks sharp, Lynch and Jackson ran well, and the receivers looked sharp on their routes, big improvement over the one series last week. The line still needs work, but we're going to have to live with the fact that the rookies will make rookie mistakes. At times though the middle of the line looked downright nasty, and I think Hangartner, Levitre and Wood can be a big improvement once they get used to playing together. Langston Walker needs to sharpen up, he moved inside to pick up guys that the interior linemen had already covered on two plays allowing guys from the outside to get clear runs at Edwards.

Others: Reggie Corner dropped an INT that hit him right between the numbers, but other than that looked excellent. Nic Harris completely blew his coverage on the long play to the TE, but after that he did brilliantly getting in the passing lanes and absolutely blowing up running plays. The guy hits hard, and knows how to get his hands on passes. Fitz was better than last week, though it would have been hard to be worse and he looked comfortable in the no-huddle offense. Hamdan's INT was poor, though the receiver has to take at least half the blame on that, the pass for Nelson's TD was executed perfectly. Lankster looks good.

As for Special Teams - let Parrish field punts. Everyone else seems to suck at it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Ko Simpson looks like his immediate future may include the fast food business.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X