• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Why no TD's

Everyone is raving about the no huddle. I don't get it. We need to produce TD's not yardage and FG's. What is our problem in the endzone?
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

• billsfanone
    Majored in Home Economics
    • Sep 2008

Re: Why no TD's

For a no huddle, we're pretty slow to get the next play off. Probably not much faster than if we actually huddled.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by billsfanone
      For a no huddle, we're pretty slow to get the next play off. Probably not much faster than if we actually huddled.
      the point is to cause matchup issues, as well as make the communication between the defense to be less. If the D doesnt have a chance to huddle, the more likely they are to have miscommunications that lead to errors

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

I think I can answer that. We haven't been very good in the redzone at all, it seems everytime we get down their something happens. Now it is common knowledge by those who played football that the shorter the field the more difficult to score. The defenses play tighter, the space is constricted and the offense is usually worn out from the current drive.

playcalling needs to be on the money to figure the best course of action to score.

However I think maybe without T.O we didnt have the right mismatches to throw it to the endzone. Our run blocking wasnt working well enough to pound the rock when we were in the redzone either. That 3rd and 14 call was ridiculous. But Ill say this, I think it will get better as the season continues. Maybe we are saving 85% of our playbook for the regular season LIKE WE SHOULD.

to answer your question Id really have to be on the field with the players to get a feel as to why we cant get it in the redzone.

however Id be surprised if we dont next saturday, but dont expect us to score alot in the preseason. most of our plays should be locked away and ready to use in the reg season. agreed?
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• Dujek
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2008

The first team offense have been in the red zone once in the pre-season. They've had a total of 4 drives, were moving the ball nicely against the Titans until Edwards threw the INT, and on the third drive last night were moving very well indeed until Jauron went into his shell. I'd have liked for the final 3rd down play in that drive to have been a pass, as we ALWAYS use that draw play, and it very rarely works.

Though one other reason could have been that with it being such an obvious passing down, and our line being inexperienced, maybe Jauron went safe to prevent Edwards being murdered by the 3 extra blitzers that were probably on the way. If it happens in a regular season game I'll be pissed off, right now I give Jauron the benefit of the doubt and hope he was just protecting Edwards until the line meshes.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

it kind of reminds me how people gloated about Losman's QB Rating being high but his record as a starter was 33%.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

its a no huddle, not so much a 2 minute offense

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

it prevents the defense from making personnel changes. let's not confuse it with a hurry up offense either.
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• realdealryan
                  realdealrex
                  • Nov 2005

Jauron and Edwards did say that they wanted to get the ball snapped much faster, though.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                    • Aug 2002

Best if they mix up the timing. Sets up the hard count to pull the D off-sides or creates the slight hesitation on the D's part when the ball is actually snapped.

And yes, this is a no-huddle, not a hurry up. The threat of a snap forces the D to get into position immediately without easy personnel changes. They talked about that quite a bit in the Chicago game, "Threat of the snap", I mean.
                    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

I think the entire point of the no-huddle is to get the next play snapped as quickly has possible to minimize the defense's reaction and ability to change on the fly.

I noticed Trent sometimes taking too long to get everyone lined up but that will improve with experience. I thought Fitzpatrick did an outstanding job all around.

Something that I think needs to be worked on though is conditioning. If your offense is clicking, you can figure to be on the field for 7-12 minutes real time. You are constantly running a play, getting up off the ground, running back to the LOS, just so you can do it allover again. If an offense can physicaly and mentally wear out the opposing defense, a lot of points can be put on the board fairly quickly.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Our running game is still mediocre, at best. We don't have a dominant offensive line or back, and that's why we struggle in the red zone.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                          Our running game is still mediocre, at best. We don't have a dominant offensive line or back, and that's why we struggle in the red zone.

i think the running game is below average. when they can't average 3 yards a carry throughout the whole game, it's definitely a red flag.

Comment

Working...
                          X