PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think it's Lankster vs Jenkins, sort of?

yordad
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
For the last roster spot? I read an article from a couple weeks ago that actually mentioned it might be. Now, it really might be. link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227635-the-2009-bills-off-season-filling-in-the-casual-bills-fan/page/7)

I have a question, who has been doing all the long snapping. Is Ryan Neill still handling it everytime? Remember we cut a Pro Bowl snapper, Mike Schneck, for Neill. Neill got the nod in part because he played some DE. We were super thin at the time, and I think there was an injury or two.

Well, dude has gotten zero DE snaps, and is no longer needed in that role. Can someone who has a primary duty take that role? Or, has someone been? I mean, we did add two people with center experience.

Now back to the main queestion, Jenkins would be a 6th wide receiver. He will likely never see the field. Much like a 6th CB, Lankster.

A consideration is, Jenkins is a gunner. Can Lankster excel at that, I know he seen time there in camp.

I think you keep the player with the higher ceiling. I don't think we can hide Lankster on the practice squad, and Jenkins is not eligible.

Or, do we cut two out of Stupar, Omon, McInTyre, and Bowen?

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
That's a good point. We got Hangartner and Wood on the roster now, both with snapping experience...off the bat, I'd say we keep Ryan Neill this year, but for next year, his spot might be in jeopardy - I'd give Wood a try at the spot and then carry an extra LB, since we always seem to get injuries at that position throughout the year.

Oh, and I cut Jenkins...seems like every other game he makes a stupid penalty on STs...

yordad
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
That's a good point. We got Hangartner and Wood on the roster now, both with snapping experience...off the bat, I'd say we keep Ryan Neill this year, but for next year, his spot might be in jeopardy - I'd give Wood a try at the spot and then carry an extra LB, since we always seem to get injuries at that position throughout the year.At LB I see Ellison, Poz, Mitchell, Thomas, Harris, Bowen, and Buggs. That is 7. I think Corto is cut. How do you think they'd do it if they had to right now?

ServoBillieves
08-16-2009, 11:15 PM
If Buggs get's cut, then Jenks or Lanky make the roster. Both have proved they are worth at least fill-in roles in the NFL. Drop Buggy, add JJ or rookie IMO.

Michael82
08-17-2009, 12:36 AM
There's no way that Lankster doesn't make the roster. But I think you guys have it wrong. I don't see the Bills carrying 6 CBs. I see 5, but that means that either Mr. Injury Prone Youboty gets cut or Florence is gone. I wouldn't be surprised with either of them. If Youboty can stay healthy for the rest of pre-season, I see the CBs as this...

McGee, McKelvin, Corner, Youboty, Lankster

Or it could also be...

McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, Lankster

Michael82
08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
As for WRs...I know that everyone loves Steve Johnson and all that, but if he doesn't get healthy and see more playing time, he might be the odd man out at WR. Either that or the Bills keep Hardy on PUP until week 6 or whatever and then make a decision then on receivers.

lmcshadow
08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
For the last roster spot? I read an article from a couple weeks ago that actually mentioned it might be. Now, it really might be. link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227635-the-2009-bills-off-season-filling-in-the-casual-bills-fan/page/7)

I have a question, who has been doing all the long snapping. Is Ryan Neill still handling it everytime? Remember we cut a Pro Bowl snapper, Mike Schneck, for Neill. Neill got the nod in part because he played some DE. We were super thin at the time, and I think there was an injury or two.

Well, dude has gotten zero DE snaps, and is no longer needed in that role. Can someone who has a primary duty take that role? Or, has someone been? I mean, we did add two people with center experience.

Now back to the main queestion, Jenkins would be a 6th wide receiver. He will likely never see the field. Much like a 6th CB, Lankster.

A consideration is, Jenkins is a gunner. Can Lankster excel at that, I know he seen time there in camp.

I think you keep the player with the higher ceiling. I don't think we can hide Lankster on the practice squad, and Jenkins is not eligible.

Or, do we cut two out of Stupar, Omon, McInTyre, and Bowen?
Lankster stays..we all know that we always get short at tha position...he show great promise in the pre..lets not rule him out

jamze132
08-17-2009, 03:28 AM
As for WRs...I know that everyone loves Steve Johnson and all that, but if he doesn't get healthy and see more playing time, he might be the odd man out at WR. Either that or the Bills keep Hardy on PUP until week 6 or whatever and then make a decision then on receivers.
I doubt Steve Johnson is going anywhere. Jenkins and his counterpart, Huggins are in the same boat as last year.

jamze132
08-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Lankster isn't going anywhere either. The guy has done nothing but pluck balls out of the sky since his first spring practice.

And I also saw him get irritated with Ko Simpson on Ko's ****up that led to a CHI TD. I like that.

Michael82
08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Truthfully...I hate having a roster spot for a LS, so I would actually prefer to cut Neill. He's not even that great of a LS and that would help us keep 6 CBs and maybe even 7 WRs (6 to start the season). I don't think Hardy will be ready to go full force and will start out on thE PUP list.

patmoran2006
08-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Excellent post and good point.
you very well could be right.

don137
08-17-2009, 07:56 AM
I agree it will come down to Youboty or Florence. I can't see Youboty getting cut though. I think some team would trade for him. Youboty is a very good corner but he does no good if he is hurt half the season. Some team will want to trade for him even if it is a 5th or 6th round pick. If the Bills decide to keep Youboty then I can see Florence getting cut.
With McGee pretty much gone next year its too bad Lankster couldn't sneak on to the practice squad.

yordad
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Florence has taken a majority of the nickel snaps, ahead of Corner and Youboty.

Michael82
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Florence has taken a majority of the nickel snaps, ahead of Corner and Youboty.
That doesn't mean anything. Don't you remember when we've signed FAs before that get time in the Nickel formation at camp, but then get cut? Wasn't Will James or one of those other guys one of them a few years ago?

Michael82
08-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree it will come down to Youboty or Florence. I can't see Youboty getting cut though. I think some team would trade for him. Youboty is a very good corner but he does no good if he is hurt half the season. Some team will want to trade for him even if it is a 5th or 6th round pick. If the Bills decide to keep Youboty then I can see Florence getting cut.
With McGee pretty much gone next year its too bad Lankster couldn't sneak on to the practice squad.
Cary Harris will sneak onto the Practice Squad and will make the team next year.

yordad
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
That doesn't mean anything. Don't you remember when we've signed FAs before that get time in the Nickel formation at camp, but then get cut? Wasn't Will James or one of those other guys one of them a few years ago?Yes, I remember Will James. I just think this is different. Your right though, I wouldn't be shocked. It's just that he has a lot more experience on the outside then Corner. With Youboty being so prone to injury, I don't think the Bills want to have that much inexperience behind McGee and Mckelvin. Not to mention, Youboty and McGee are in the lasty years of their contracts. If we cut Florence, and McGee and Youboty walk next year, our depth would be demolished, and we would have a starter with zero experience.

I really just think they will keep them all. Especially if one can be a gunner.

THATHURMANATOR
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I sort of do but sometimes not so much with Jenkins and Lankster.

yordad
08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Plus Jenkins, can be replaced by Hawthorn or Huggins if we need them in the future. I believe they can be stashed on the practice squad, and as a WR, Jenkins isn't that much better, if any.