• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I'm not seeing what a lot of you do in Harris

I, like many others on here and in other forums, am a big fan of Nic Harris. He has shown toughness and the potential to be a playmaker in this defense.
    However, unlike most people, I don’t think he’s very close to taking Keith Ellison’s starting job. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see someone take Ellison’s spot, but Harris isn’t ready.

Perhaps going back to watch the Bears game should be in order. Harris was burned badly in pass coverage twice. Once in the second quarter that led to a 30 yard Desmond Clark completion, and he left his guy in the flat on the Chicago touchdown later in the game to pursue the quarterback (a big no-no in cover two defense.)

The Bills by nature run a very conservative type of defense. “Bend don’t break” certainly applies to this unit. For many reasons, but none more than simply being a rookie, I don’t think Harris starts this year, barring injury. As much as I don’t like Ellison, I’m positive the Bills are more comfortable with him on their defense, especially their pass defense- at this time at least.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: I'm not seeing what a lot of you do in Harris

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    I, like many others on here and in other forums, am a big fan of Nic Harris. He has shown toughness and the potential to be a playmaker in this defense.
    However, unlike most people, I don’t think he’s very close to taking Keith Ellison’s starting job. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see someone take Ellison’s spot, but Harris isn’t ready.

Perhaps going back to watch the Bears game should be in order. Harris was burned badly in pass coverage twice. Once in the second quarter that led to a 30 yard Desmond Clark completion, and he left his guy in the flat on the Chicago touchdown later in the game to pursue the quarterback (a big no-no in cover two defense.)

The Bills by nature run a very conservative type of defense. “Bend don’t break” certainly applies to this unit. For many reasons, but none more than simply being a rookie, I don’t think Harris starts this year, barring injury. As much as I don’t like Ellison, I’m positive the Bills are more comfortable with him on their defense, especially their pass defense- at this time at least.
    Getting beat in coverage happens to every player, experienced or not. And the decision to rush the QB and leave his man is a very correctable one.

I'll take a few rookie mistakes early on in the season for the rest of what Harris brings that Ellison doesnt.

Harris is one of those players that can light up a defense, he's bigger, faster, stronger, taller and more instinctive than Ellison.

IMO he should takeover for Ellison ASAP. But our staff typically take their time starting the high potential, low/no experience guys. (Stevie J., Fred Jack, Leodis)

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Id like to make my stance clear that I DO like Nic Harris and I think he could be starting material.

Just not right now. And for better or worse, we have conservative coaches and getting beat in coverage badly (twice) IS a factor that will keep Ellison on the field over him-- for now.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Well let's keep in mind what he did do not just what he didn't. I didn't watch him exclusively that night, but perhaps others can help me on plays they saw and liked from him.

- He tipped a pass that would have been a sure TD.

- I remember seeing him knocking the crap out of someone - might have been a RB on a run play. I just remember him leveling the guy...

- Overall, he just always seemed to be around the ball.

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

I think Harris should start right now. Maybe he could be assessed better. I mean, if he makes a single play, it will be more then Ellison did all of last year (unless you count running a direct snap fack punt for a 4 yrd first down).

I just don't think he can be worse then Ellsion, and he has far greater potential.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

I think most of us acknowledge that he's not ready. I'm certainly not expecting him to crack the starting lineup anytime soon but I could see it happening during the season if he gets a chance. He still has a way to go but what I've seen so far is very promising.

Comment

• Dujek
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2008

As I said when discussing the game, I think he's capable of starting sometime this season, but Ellison will be the starter against the Patriots.

Harris will have a positive impact when he's on the field though.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dujek
                As I said when discussing the game, I think he's capable of starting sometime this season, but Ellison will be the starter against the Patriots.

Harris will have a positive impact when he's on the field though.
                I dont disagree.. Good points

I DO like harris.. I just dont think he's quite ready to start in the NFL yet.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

our starting defense has been very good so far this season.. Pos is all over the field and i do think he is going to have a huge season.. one that we expected last year..

so i dont think the coaches will rush to take ellison out.. that said, harris does seem to just have a buzz about him.. he looks intimidating.. he hits hard.. he is a smart player who will learn from the mistakes he made.. i think he is starting sooner than later.. rookies start and exceed all the time at LB and RB.. i dont think harris will be any different.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

I think Harris will push Ellison early on but I dont see him starting before Week 4, his coverage skills are bad. He really has to work on that, especially in this D. I havent watched the game from Saturday yet, so I cant comment on that but based on his college play, and his 1st preseason game it appears to still be an issue, which is to be expected as he is a rookie and making a position change.

I do like his aggressiveness and the way he hits though.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

even if harris made some mistakes at least he does something rather than nothing at all like Ellison
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        I think Harris will push Ellison early on but I dont see him starting before Week 4, his coverage skills are bad. He really has to work on that, especially in this D. I havent watched the game from Saturday yet, so I cant comment on that but based on his college play, and his 1st preseason game it appears to still be an issue, which is to be expected as he is a rookie and making a position change.

I do like his aggressiveness and the way he hits though.
                        And Ellison's coverage skills aren't? He made like 1 play 2 years ago - an interception in his rookie year and after that, he's been a non-entity and more of a liability.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006

All I know is that Harris has made more plays in his first 2 NFL games (preseason or not) then Ellison has made his entire career! The big thing that the kid does, is he is always around the ball. Also, he'll stick his nose in there and take on a block instead of getting engulfed like Ellison does. Pat, there is not even a comparison...Harris has showed me a ton more then Ellison ever has.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

The strong side LB gets taken off the field in the nickle. And, how can a converted safety be worse in coverage then Ellison?
                            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                              All I know is that Harris has made more plays in his first 2 NFL games (preseason or not) then Ellison has made his entire career! The big thing that the kid does, is he is always around the ball. Also, he'll stick his nose in there and take on a block instead of getting engulfed like Ellison does. Pat, there is not even a comparison...Harris has showed me a ton more then Ellison ever has.
                              Yeah I know which play yer talking about... the one where Harris attacked the OT full steam and took him out of the play. It allowed the rest of our guys to make the tackle on the RB.

Its that attacking mentality I really like about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X