PDA

View Full Version : Byrd off non-football injury list

The Spaz
08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Bills second-round pick Jairus Byrd's wait is finally over. After missing the team's entire spring workout schedule and beginning training camp on the non-football injury list, Byrd will begin practicing with his teammates today.

Byrd was taken off the non-football injury list Monday morning. He had been placed on that list after signing his contract with the club on July 29. The Oregon product was coming off of a minor surgery and was not ready to participate in practice.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/byrd-off-non-football-injury-list/abcd7707-1b43-4ea3-b0a1-f3c2bfee5a85

psubills62
08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Excellent. He needs as many reps as possible. The sooner he enters the starting lineup, the better our secondary will be. I wouldn't care nearly as much about giving up lots of yardage as long as we have players in the secondary who can consistently get picks.

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Say goodbye...Ko...

Mahdi
08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I think Wendling goes. With Byrd coming in Whitner becomes the starting SS and Scott becomes the back-up SS. I doubt we keep 3 SS on the roster.

That leaves George Wilson as the backup for both SS and FS. Ko will stay if they keep 5 safeties.

patmoran2006
08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I dont think they are going to keep five safeties.

Romes
08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
He's lining up with the 2nd team defense at FS during the morning walk thru

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/08/17/byrd-running-2nd-team-fs/

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I think Wendling goes. With Byrd coming in Whitner becomes the starting SS and Scott becomes the back-up SS. I doubt we keep 3 SS on the roster.

That leaves George Wilson as the backup for both SS and FS. Ko will stay if they keep 5 safeties.

Scott the backup? It can be argued that Scott has been more solid than Whitner. I sincerely doubt Byrd will send him to the bench. Byrd has not had much time on the field either. He will be the backup for now...

And Wendling contributes on STs...Ko does nothing except allow receptions...

Mahdi
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Scott the backup? It can be argued that Scott has been more solid than Whitner. I sincerely doubt Byrd will send him to the bench. Byrd has not had much time on the field either. He will be the backup for now...

And Wendling contributes on STs...Ko does nothing except allow receptions...
I agree I think Scott has his value, especially as a box defender. But he is average/below average as a coverage safety.

Having Whitner/Byrd as opposed to Scott/Whitner gives us a lot more range, speed and playmaking ability.

Dr. Pepper
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Say goodbye...Ko...

you beat me to it.

yordad
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Madhi and Mystic, I always mix yall up. It might be because your both really good posters. It might be because both names start with an M, or because you both have colorful avatars. Maybe you have similar schedules. Maybe you two are the same age. I don't know, but I enjoy your guys post.

Anyways, Scott has a sprained knee. He could miss a couple weeks. Bryd could sneak in there. Coming off of injury (and switching positions while missing time) they might not give Byrd too much time out there, but I think the Bills plan to have Byrd start.

As time goes, Whitner will likely be the strong safety, imo, but I can see Scott coming off the bench and getting as much playing time as Whitner vs run dominant teams.

Either way, I am comfortable with Scott and Whitner, but if Byrd is able to be even better, then that would be even more comforting.

Look for Byrd to get extensive action in preseason game 4 if Scott is still a no go (maybe even start), because Simpson sucks, even if he just understands the basic terminology. If he shines, he gets more time. It is all on him.

yordad
08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh, I and I think they end up keeping 4. Whitner, Scott, Byrd and Simpson. Personally though, I would keep Wilson over Simpson (actually, I'd like to find a way to cut both). But, I highly doubt both make it.

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Madhi and Mystic, I always mix yall up. It might be because your both really good posters. It might be because both names start with an M, or because you both have colorful avatars. Maybe you have similar schedules. Maybe you two are the same age. I don't know, but I enjoy your guys post.

Anyways, Scott has a sprained knee. He could miss a couple weeks. Bryd could sneak in there. Coming off of injury (and switching positions while missing time) they might not give Byrd too much time out there, but I think the Bills plan to have Byrd start.

As time goes, Whitner will likely be the strong safety, imo, but I can see Scott coming off the bench and getting as much playing time as Whitner vs run dominant teams.

Either way, I am comfortable with Scott and Whitner, but if Byrd is able to be even better, then that would be even more comforting.

Look for Byrd to get extensive action in preseason game 4 if Scott is still a no go (maybe even start), because Simpson sucks, even if he just understands the basic terminology. If he shines, he gets more time. It is all on him.

I think that all sounds great in theory, but I doubt Byrd will be ready for primetime with all the time that he's missed.