PDA

View Full Version : Bills O Line Rank

billser
08-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Per espn:

AFC East

Buffalo (run rank: 32/pass rank: 31): There is a really good chance Buffalo could start five different players across its offensive line. Continuity is one of the most important aspects of line play, and the Bills might also start the worst pair of offensive tackles in the league. Also, two rookies are likely to start at guard, but neither played guard extensively in college. This is a very bad offensive line, and it could cripple the Bills' entire season.
Miami (run rank: 14/pass rank: 12): This is one of the best up-and-coming young lines in the league. The Dolphins made a much-needed change at center in acquiring Jake Grove (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5570) to help out with the beefy 3-4 nose tackles they face in the AFC East. Now Grove needs to stay healthy. This line could rank noticeably higher next year.
New England (run rank: 6/pass rank: 11): It is amazing what a quarterback can do for an offensive line. With Tom Brady (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2330) back behind center, expect the Patriots' pass-protection statistics to improve dramatically. That being said, this is an overrated pass-blocking group but a vastly underrated set of run-blockers.
New York Jets (run rank: 5/pass rank: 24): The Jets have spent a lot of money to revamp their offensive line, and for the most part, it has been money well spent. However, this is far truer in the run game than in pass protection, and whoever is behind center for New York will have to lean heavily upon that ground game while taking his share of hits.

Mitchell55
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Did they even base it off the preseason games?

THATHURMANATOR
08-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Well you can't necessarily argue with them at this point.

Lets hope the group proves them wrong.

BillsWin
08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
LOL awesome.

jamze132
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Well what would you expect from ESPN. We don't have Teddy Bruschi.

To be honest, our O-line may be the biggest question mark in the NFL this season. I think our win/loss record is going to accurately reflect their play which is why I am thinking around 8-8 at this point.

yordad
08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I do not believe this..... they rated a team with worse pass blocking? Who?

BillsWin
08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Well what would you expect from ESPN. We don't have Teddy Bruschi.

To be honest, our O-line may be the biggest question mark in the NFL this season. I think our win/loss record is going to accurately reflect their play which is why I am thinking around 8-8 at this point.

i got to meet Teddy and have an autographed copy of his book. Even though i hate him and all patsies he wasn't totally unbearable. Made for a pretty good interview.

billser
08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
If you assume that these rankings are actually somewhat accurate, how can Trent Edwards and the bills offensive succeed? DEAD LAST!

Lexwhat
08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Perhaps a little harsh, but not that far off the mark.

I would say we are in the bottom 1/4th of the league in this category.

Scumbag College
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Bring back Bennie Anderson and Jon Carmen!!!!!

yordad
08-17-2009, 07:53 PM
If you assume that these rankings are actually somewhat accurate, how can Trent Edwards and the bills offensive succeed? DEAD LAST!That is why I am not assuming they are accurate. Well, actually, I can't blame ESPN for their current rankings. It is just that I project the Bills to be better.

ParanoidAndroid
08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
The Bills O-line is an unknown. Rank them last.

MassEffect218435
08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Actually, it should look something like this:

Run Blocking: ?

Pass Blocking: ?

elltrain22
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
we'll see won't we

casdhf
08-17-2009, 09:14 PM
We don't have a bad offensive line. We have an unproven one. They say right in the article that we could have 5 new starters. How can they even assess which players will be good and which will be bad? Ridiculous!!!!

Don't Panic
08-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Ouch! 31st and 32nd, huh? Thank God these are preseason rankings and not postseason rankings... let's hope by January those numbers at lest have 1's in front of them instead of 3's.

Night Train
08-18-2009, 06:22 AM
I don't care about ESPN's rankings. After all, they actually give Mort a paycheck.

What I care about is the Bills seem to be finally addressing the O Line in a serious manner after trying temporary patch jobs with the likes of Dockery, Tuten Reyes, Bennie Anderson etc.

I'm not worried about this year because my expectations are 5-7 wins with Jauron getting canned. It's about laying the right foundation long term.

The O-line this year with the D Line next year.

SABURZFAN
08-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Did they even base it off the preseason games?

if so, they're still right. look at the first two games. the running game don't even average 3 yards a carry. it's pathetic.

Throne Logic
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Something to post on the Motivational Snip-It Board. . .

justasportsfan
08-18-2009, 12:36 PM
we're ranked too high

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I would say that 31st is completely fair. A backup Center as your starter in between two rookie guards, an LT that failed at the position in Oakland, and a RT that hasn't played the position since college.

I'm shocked we aren't 32nd.

JD
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Only way to go is up :jig:

It's like 06/07 Sabres... UNDERDOGS ABOUT TO SHOCK THE WORRRRLLLLLDD!!!

:hi5:

yordad
08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't understand how some of you feel insulted, or that ESPN is somehow wrong on this.