PDA

View Full Version : Rejoice NYC bills fans

trapezeus
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
So i just read that for those of us in NYC without access to directv but want the nfl package, we can get it streaming online. NYC only this year as a role out.

A little odd that they are charging people for a testpackage at full cost. But whatever, i can't wait to not have to go to bars and watch it from my home. This is the greatest news ever. i just have to go home and see if it works off my computer and that i meet all the requirements. This is something i've been waiting for since 2000.

and i'm so close.

ddaryl
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
So i just read that for those of us in NYC without access to directv but want the nfl package, we can get it streaming online. NYC only this year as a role out.

A little odd that they are charging people for a testpackage at full cost. But whatever, i can't wait to not have to go to bars and watch it from my home. This is the greatest news ever. i just have to go home and see if it works off my computer and that i meet all the requirements. This is something i've been waiting for since 2000.

and i'm so close.

This is the future, in about 5 - 10 years many of us will be streaming all of our tTV needs from the internet thru a media PC

Directtv days and cable for that matter are numbered IMO, everything is becoming available online

Dujek
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Must be a similar thing as they have in other parts of the world, I get NFL Network streaming online in HD, and all the games in HD online, as well as some NFL Network shows on demand.

Dujek
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh, and I also get all last year's games in HD on demand as well...

billsfanone
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
This is their smartest move. There has to be millions of people who want DTV/NFL Ticket but can't get a dish on their house or apartment.

casdhf
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Oh, and I also get all last year's games in HD on demand as well... How much for a game?

trapezeus
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
a day when time warner cable seizes to exsist will be a beautiful, celebratory day.

Those jerks can't get my dvr service in hd to work. I would rather just pay another $10 a month for the best internet possible and watch TV through that venue.

Darryl, while i like your vision, do you think that that model will have us paying for all the netlinks to shows since commercials will kind of go by thewaste side, or will TW and other cable companies just bundle these online packages and sell that to us?

Dujek
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
How much for a game?

They're just there available as part of the subscription package. So once you've paid the Gamepass subscription you get all last year's games, along with this season's games and the network.

trapezeus
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
yeah, you can't get a single game, i don't think. or at least they don't mention it. it's $349.99 for the year. divided by 17 games, that's $20 a game. which for me is signficantly lower than the amount of food i eat at a bar during the same time.

Dujek
08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Damn. It's $249 for the international game pass, I'm not sure I'd have paid $349

trapezeus
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
yeah, they are adding some other service to your cell phone, but it should all just be the same as the regular price of the TV package. but when they can gouge you, they will. I still stand by the fact that at $349, i'm spending less than going to a bar.

Or that will at least be the pitch to my wife.

BlackMetalNinja
08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah, they are adding some other service to your cell phone, but it should all just be the same as the regular price of the TV package. but when they can gouge you, they will. I still stand by the fact that at $349, i'm spending less than going to a bar.

Or that will at least be the pitch to my wife.That pitched worked quite nicely for me when I switched to DirecTV last year after we moved farther away from the bar and had a house instead of an apartment!

thenry20
08-17-2009, 06:46 PM

and i'm so close.

You're not paying the full $300 for it are you? What you ought to do is contact a Sunday Ticket member and "buy" his Supercast subscription for $100. That's what i did last year and I got to see all the Bills games plus whatever other Sunday game was on at the other time slot. Take into consideration that you will only be able to watch those Sunday games during the day, not Saturday, Monday, or Thursday games; the Sunday night game is also out.

This year I might not go that route solely because the NFL now offers "Game Rewind" for only $50/year. You can watch any game 3 hours after it has aired and any other archived game thereafter as well 24/7 until Jan 10. It's not live but at least you can watch any game multiple times on HD too.

trapezeus
08-17-2009, 09:30 PM
You're not paying the full $300 for it are you? What you ought to do is contact a Sunday Ticket member and "buy" his Supercast subscription for $100. That's what i did last year and I got to see all the Bills games plus whatever other Sunday game was on at the other time slot. Take into consideration that you will only be able to watch those Sunday games during the day, not Saturday, Monday, or Thursday games; the Sunday night game is also out.

This year I might not go that route solely because the NFL now offers "Game Rewind" for only $50/year. You can watch any game 3 hours after it has aired and any other archived game thereafter as well 24/7 until Jan 10. It's not live but at least you can watch any game multiple times on HD too.

but these are only options for the tv subscribers, right? they don't have any other options for those of us without the abililty to get the dish.

Does the NFL package, not cover the games from the nfl network?

Typ0
08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
I really don't understand why a cable infrastructure would be built to carry media when it can be done by satellite with little latency.

thenry20
08-18-2009, 05:02 AM
but these are only options for the tv subscribers, right? they don't have any other options for those of us without the abililty to get the dish.

Does the NFL package, not cover the games from the nfl network?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I am not a Directv subscriber that's why I convinced this guy to sell me his Supercast sub. And no it does not cover any of those other games other than the 1 PM and 4 PM Sunday games.

Throne Logic
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
THenry20 has it right. I've got the basic Sunday Ticket. I live in CT, so all Pats and most Jets games are on local CBS. Toss in a Sunday night and another random one. Therefore, the Bills play around 6 national or regionally broadcast games. Therefore, I'm typically paying to watch 10 games via the Ticket.

Typ0
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I figured out last year that I was able to watch just over half the games the NFL played and I don't have Sunday Ticket.

billsfanone
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I really don't understand why a cable infrastructure would be built to carry media when it can be done by satellite with little latency.

You can't get DTV satellites on most apartment buildings.

trapezeus
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
i only get the jets games at my home, and since i go back for the home games, i usually only get the meadowlands game. but this year, the home bills game is toronto. so i'lll get the pats and jets games at home without the ticket. that's only 3. Still, divide the $349 by 15 games, and i still think that's better than the bill tab, plus when my wife comes, we usually go with other friends. i just bought a new office chair that's super comfy for the office desk that has the 24 inch monitor.

i can't wait to do this. I think it's stupid that they don't include the preseason games. we are die hard fans and they sell it to us die hards. it's not out of the scope of reality to give us those gams for the same price. for god sake, they make me pay full price in the season tickets for those preseason games, they better damn well include it in the package.

billsfanone
08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
i only get the jets games at my home, and since i go back for the home games, i usually only get the meadowlands game. but this year, the home bills game is toronto. so i'lll get the pats and jets games at home without the ticket. that's only 3. Still, divide the $349 by 15 games, and i still think that's better than the bill tab, plus when my wife comes, we usually go with other friends. i just bought a new office chair that's super comfy for the office desk that has the 24 inch monitor.

i can't wait to do this. I think it's stupid that they don't include the preseason games. we are die hard fans and they sell it to us die hards. it's not out of the scope of reality to give us those gams for the same price. for god sake, they make me pay full price in the season tickets for those preseason games, they better damn well include it in the package.

Regular Sunday ticket subs don't get PS games either. They are only shown on the NFLN.

trapezeus
08-18-2009, 09:46 AM
but why is NFLN being kept away in a supposedly all in package?

Like i said, i'm forced to buy the preseason tickets in my season ticket package. now i get the nfl ticket and i don't have full access to all the games? what the hell? That is unfair.

But arguing with the NFL is like a druggie complaining to his drug dealer that he isn't getting the best price. the drug dealer and NFL have you where they want you and you pretty much have to do what you are told.

Typ0
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
You can't get DTV satellites on most apartment buildings.

so we'll spend billions of extra dollars because people who own apartment buildings won't provided a shared dish and cable structure in their buildings? What a load of crap that is. Don't spend the billions of everyones money and when their is no other alternative watch what those landlords do when their tennants start to leave.

Typ0
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
You are making yourself look foolish. You agreed to pay them for that specific service. Then you don't like the service so you come on the internet and ***** about it. Don't buy it in the first place.

but why is NFLN being kept away in a supposedly all in package?

Like i said, i'm forced to buy the preseason tickets in my season ticket package. now i get the nfl ticket and i don't have full access to all the games? what the hell? That is unfair.

But arguing with the NFL is like a druggie complaining to his drug dealer that he isn't getting the best price. the drug dealer and NFL have you where they want you and you pretty much have to do what you are told.

trapezeus
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
i didn't get it yet.

and i really have no choice, if i want to watch the games from home.

I'm just saying, the nfl should offer the nfl package as advertised which is that its the ultimate coverage of all nfl games. and they should put the nflnetwork in there. but the thursday game this year is versus the jets and the nfl has agreed to let local areas have a local affiliate carry the games since TW doesn't cover.

In the end, i want to watch the bills play from my house. the internet coverage will allow me to see all 16 games. i'd be happier if it included the preseason and the NFLN games. but i can live without it.

If this all streams without issue for the full season, i'm going to be one happy guy.

ddaryl
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM

my only thought on that one is they see some major upgrades in speed capabilities coming from cable infrastrucutre eventually.. which these days is fibre optic.

I know the speeds I'm getting now are off the charts compared ot a year or 2 ago. I just downloaded 6 full live Phish concerts from etree.org. Each was about 1GB in size and they all downloaded in an evening. This is all dependent on bit torrents and the amount of users seeding and sharing the file, but a few years back that was a weeks worth of downloads

Typ0
08-18-2009, 11:47 AM
my only thought on that one is they see some major upgrades in speed capabilities coming from cable infrastrucutre eventually.. which these days is fibre optic.

I know the speeds I'm getting now are off the charts compared ot a year or 2 ago. I just downloaded 6 full live Phish concerts from etree.org. Each was about 1GB in size and they all downloaded in an evening. This is all dependent on bit torrents and the amount of users seeding and sharing the file, but a few years back that was a weeks worth of downloads

I'm talking about television though. I understand the need to develop the bandwith for high speed data through land lines but not to deliver television. If my channels could change faster I wouldn't even notice it. I already have interactive things on my television.

Typ0
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Just be happy you don't have season tickets and get forced to pay full price for preseason crap tickets.

i didn't get it yet.

and i really have no choice, if i want to watch the games from home.

I'm just saying, the nfl should offer the nfl package as advertised which is that its the ultimate coverage of all nfl games. and they should put the nflnetwork in there. but the thursday game this year is versus the jets and the nfl has agreed to let local areas have a local affiliate carry the games since TW doesn't cover.

In the end, i want to watch the bills play from my house. the internet coverage will allow me to see all 16 games. i'd be happier if it included the preseason and the NFLN games. but i can live without it.

If this all streams without issue for the full season, i'm going to be one happy guy.

trapezeus
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
so we'll spend billions of extra dollars because people who own apartment buildings won't provided a shared dish and cable structure in their buildings? What a load of crap that is. Don't spend the billions of everyones money and when their is no other alternative watch what those landlords do when their tennants start to leave.

In NYC, apartment buildings get the dish on the top and wire down when the building agrees. it's expensive for the building to do and is seen as a luxury. if you're building is very big, it's easier to do because Directv will cut your building a special rates package to lock up the entire building.

My building is only 168 apartments. Dtv gave us a quote, but the board refused because they didn't think the expense was justified and that the residents didn't want that option as a whole. (i'm on the board and lobbied hard to get this but was turned down). anyways, the point being you're building really has to have the size for Dtv to be interested in working a deal for you. it was $20,000-$30000 for the dish install. and they didn't cover if they did any damage to the hallways.

although, i'm not sure your point typo. are you saying that laying cable work is coming at the cost of the government as opposed to the companies? to my knowledge, cable companies pay to lay the cable. and satelittle TV came around much later than cable.

Pinkerton Security
08-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I am not a Directv subscriber that's why I convinced this guy to sell me his Supercast sub. And no it does not cover any of those other games other than the 1 PM and 4 PM Sunday games.

so you just calld them, told them you werent a directv subscriber but just wanted the ticket, and you got supercast for 100 bucks???

thenry20
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
so you just calld them, told them you werent a directv subscriber but just wanted the ticket, and you got supercast for 100 bucks???

No, this guy on another board said he would sell his Supercast to a forum member but another guy beat me to it so I asked if any other members would be willing to do the same. This 3rd guy said he might but wasn't sure he could trust me. You see, you would have access his to his online Directv account. I told him to change the password weekly and do so right before and after the games started/ended. After the first week, he saw I wasn't going to mess with his account so a trust developed. He gave me the login every Sunday morning w/o fail.

I don't have Directv at all but if I did I wouldn't need the Supercast at all. It was worth the $100 last year and was thinking of doing it again.

Then I saw the the NFL would offer "Game Rewind" for only $40 if one subscribes before Sept 9 ($50 thereafter). These games aren't live but you have access to all 2008 and the upcoming season via their archives. To me this is the better deal not just in price but because I can watch any game multiple times until the sub expires on Jan 3. Plus, these are also all in HD and the computer system requirements aren't all that stringent. I was told these games would be available 3 hours after they conclude. Hell if this cost $100 I'd do it still.

Pinkerton Security
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
No, this guy on another board said he would sell his Supercast to a forum member but another guy beat me to it so I asked if any other members would be willing to do the same. This 3rd guy said he might but wasn't sure he could trust me. You see, you would have access his to his online Directv account. I told him to change the password weekly and do so right before and after the games started/ended. After the first week, he saw I wasn't going to mess with his account so a trust developed. He gave me the login every Sunday morning w/o fail.

I don't have Directv at all but if I did I wouldn't need the Supercast at all. It was worth the $100 last year and was thinking of doing it again.

Then I saw the the NFL would offer "Game Rewind" for only $40 if one subscribes before Sept 9 ($50 thereafter). These games aren't live but you have access to all 2008 and the upcoming season via their archives. To me this is the better deal not just in price but because I can watch any game multiple times until the sub expires on Jan 3. Plus, these are also all in HD and the computer system requirements aren't all that stringent. I was told these games would be available 3 hours after they conclude. Hell if this cost $100 I'd do it still.

sweet, thanks for the info. im so sick of getting Jets games in the albany region!!!

ddaryl
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm talking about television though. I understand the need to develop the bandwith for high speed data through land lines but not to deliver television. If my channels could change faster I wouldn't even notice it. I already have interactive things on my television.

yeah but the fibre optic infrasturcture does provide faster speeds then satelite for TV... More so for the future which will become more "on demand".

With satelite you have to send the signal to space and back.... This is lag, so for the future of on demand, and streaming HDTV the future should come back to fibre optic, becuase the speeds from satelite will begin to lag behind significantly

You do see lots of combo packages being offered, and most of these are cable infrastrucutre companies who are tyring to gain control of all the communications. phone/internet/TV across one media type.

I have Video on demand from directtv, but the only way it works is through an internet connection. Obviously there is a weakness for it via satelite, and IMO Directtv will become an internet transmission company down the line if they can rent the infrastucutre cheap enough, or they'll be bought out by a big cable infrastucutre company who needs the clientel to pimp there subscription services for there internet based service. Satelites are expensive to build, and if they can't compete with fibre optic speeds its a wasted investment.

So yes at this time you notice no issues with satelite TV, but as it all changes to the on demand world where downloading is needed, and extremly fast speeds are needed to stream HDTV for the masses we will be more dependent on fibre optic infrastrucutre, and satelite will become inefficient

We are witnessing yet another transistion in our multi media options

in fact directtv might be in a world of hurt over the next decade, because who needs a satelite connection with the on demand world coming on strong, and internet streaming TV and perfection of media PC's satelite TV can easily go the way of the DoDo.

Not to mention everyone one of us would liek to shed a few monthly bills so satelite TV comes up short in offering what everyone wants IMO.

Typ0
08-18-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm saying that cable company xyz lays fiber they pass the costs along to ALL their consumers via the subscription rates. So if they have less infrastructure to build there will be lower rates for consumers. So building a national fiber infrastructure for a few short buildings in NYC seems overkill for the general population.

In NYC, apartment buildings get the dish on the top and wire down when the building agrees. it's expensive for the building to do and is seen as a luxury. if you're building is very big, it's easier to do because Directv will cut your building a special rates package to lock up the entire building.

My building is only 168 apartments. Dtv gave us a quote, but the board refused because they didn't think the expense was justified and that the residents didn't want that option as a whole. (i'm on the board and lobbied hard to get this but was turned down). anyways, the point being you're building really has to have the size for Dtv to be interested in working a deal for you. it was $20,000-$30000 for the dish install. and they didn't cover if they did any damage to the hallways.

although, i'm not sure your point typo. are you saying that laying cable work is coming at the cost of the government as opposed to the companies? to my knowledge, cable companies pay to lay the cable. and satelittle TV came around much later than cable.

trapezeus
08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
ahh, gotcha. however, if ddaryl's point is correct, the fiberoptics will carry more information quicker.

You already see that in fios. they say that since each apartment gets its own thin fiberoptic wire in that carries just your information as opposed to an apartment that carries everyone's information that the loads are much much faster...internet wise. I assume the same is true for TV watching.

With my recent squabbles with TW, i realize that TV watching as we know it is coming to an end. the DVR and tivo box was just a short term fix. As all the shows go to on demand, we'll pick what we want when we want.

With TW, my dvr box is screwed up and a lot of my shows don't record, so i have been downloading them from the internet. once there is a box that is internet capable of sending only HD feeds to my bigscreen, my need for cable TV will be over.