X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

NFL Sellouts Have Become Easier, but not for Bills

Unfortunately, this is something that most of us are aware of...its interesting though the stastical break down of how much more difficult it is for RW Jr. compared to other owners.

Now compare that with Buffalo’s situation. The Bills stadium officially seats 73,967. Their market penetration needs increased by 3.1%, a total that is 143% higher than the current average market penetration. And that doesn’t even include the fact that Buffalo already started this analysis at a 3.4% market penetration. To put this another way, it is literally nearly twice as hard to achieve a sellout in Buffalo today than it was forty years ago based on the population/stadium density percentage. And that doesn’t even take into account how much easier it is for the Bills’ NFL competitors to sell their stadiums out.

Looking at this from Ralph Wilson’s perspective, his organization in some ways has to work more than twice as hard as they used to in order to bring in the Forbes estimate of $40 million in annual gate revenue. If it was a matter of the team being non-competitive, it would come down to on-field improvements, but the Bills have been O.K. in that area. They have averaged seven wins a year and are typically in the playoff hunt for a significant majority of the season. It’s a better overall on-field situation than the Lions and some other teams that are generally doing worse on the field but better at the box office than Buffalo is.

It is also not a matter of fan ambivalence. Bills backers are among the most rabid out there. Their showing at the recent Bills-heavy Hall of Fame induction ceremony proved this as well as anything. These fans have also arrived in large numbers for games over the years in some of the worst weather, so passion isn’t an issue.
    The recession has been deep, but there is some evidence that the league should still be able to fill its stadiums to capacity.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • mackey789
    • Jul 2002

Re: NFL Sellouts Have Become Easier, but not for Bills

They fail to mention the fact that we are a regional team. I find this article flawed in many ways.

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

I don't think its that flawed...this article shows the reasons why we have to be a regional team.
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why they are calling the Bills out in the article. It's harder for many other teams to sell out, compared to the Bills. The Bills have been packing the stadium for the last 5 years and that is even with the team sucking.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

The Bills need a marketing overhaul and a new stadium. They're still clinging to the late 80's early 90's....sad.

Comment

• Tbuffalobills
            • Jan 2005

I live in San Diego- The Chargers have not sold out one game yet this year! A first place team with a southern Ca market- No games sold out!

Our local paper just had an article about for the first time in years games will be blacked out! Buffalo is a great town..great fans...oh my if they ever can win!!
            San Diego Bills Fan!

Bills Fan in San Diego Since 1994!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tbuffalobills
              I live in San Diego- The Chargers have not sold out one game yet this year! A first place team with a southern Ca market- No games sold out!

Our local paper just had an article about for the first time in years games will be blacked out! Buffalo is a great town..great fans...oh my if they ever can win!!
              IMO, the Chargers are the first team that should be brought up for relocation to Los Angeles. It makes the most sense.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

That article is horrible. The author mentions that the Bills have been good in recent years and have been alive for the playoffs. Not really. I'm not really sure how hard it is to sell our RWS, but I can guarantee you if the Bills actually have a chance to go to the playoffs, every seat will sell. And there are a lot of "fans" who have chosen not to go to the stadium since the losing streak began. Those fairweather fans will be back once the Bills start winning again.

There are very few places in all of sports where even one of the biggest losing teams still sell out most games.

Comment

• Romes
                  • Jul 2002

I guess I am reading the article differently than some of you guys...I don't see him really picking on us just pointing out the facts and statistics behind our situation.

I see it as saying that practically every other team, for the most part, has a growing population compared to stadium size...Buffalo does not. Hence, the need to regionalize the team (training camp in Rochester, games in TO).

I do not see him as saying we aren't or can't sell out games just that it requires much more effort for the Bills to sell them out.

Jamze...and he does not say that the Bills were good...just ok...at least better than the Lions. (which i wouldn't rate as "ok" either but thats just arguing semantics)
                  Last edited by Romes; 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM.
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

The article is kind of bull**** and another shot at Buffalo. Totally takes out of the equation the total population of the entire area and the surrounding areas. Sorry, but I'd just throw that one in the garbage.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

There are a couple reasons why other NFL cities have a better chance of selling out than the Bills and IMO I would want either scenerio to happen to Buffalo.

One, is corporate dollars. New England has a lot of corporate dollars that buy season tickets. They also jack up the price that the common fan can not afford the game. You end up with a quiet wine and cheese crowd that cares more about being seen at the game than getting into the game and a very non-passionate fan base at the games.

Two, many fans have migrated from the north to the south so the teams in the south have many opposition fans at the game. I have season tickets to the Panthers and the opponents fans come to the games in large numbers. Miami is another example of this scenerio.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

just great... this is where the Old Fart holds out his tin cup and cries poverty again. i wonder how many more games go to Toronto now.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                          • Dec 2002

Start winning games...give fans something to grab on to, and tickets will be going for $200 a pop on E-Bay for all the games will be sold out.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

If these statistics are so important, why did the Los Angeles Rams disappear from the tables between 1970 and 2007? It is the loyalty of the fan base, not the stadium capacity relative to the MSA population, that ultimately determines how a team draws.

Granted, ticket prices, regionalization and marketing efforts help. But none of this works without a rabid fan base. LA is a perfect example.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Yet it is still simple for us to achieve sellouts because we love football.

Comment

Working...
                              X