PDA

View Full Version : No Progress with Maybin Since Last Week

Romes
08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
PITTSFORD -- It appears a cinch the 2009 training camp will come and go without Bills No. 1 draft choice Aaron Maybin. There has been no progress since last week on talks over a deal for the defensive end from Penn State.

The contractual impasse for Maybin reached its 24th day. The search for middle ground in contract numbers continues. Maybin was the 11th pick in the draft. The 12th pick, Denver’s Knowshon Moreno, signed for $23 million over five years and $13 million guaranteed. The ninth pick, Green Bay’s B.J. Raji, signed for $28.5 million over five years and $18 million guaranteed. That's a $5 million gap in guaranteed money and a $5.5 million gap in total money.

---Mark Gaughan

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/08/no-maybin-progress.html

:mad:

Novacane
08-17-2009, 09:18 PM
This is getting old. Just split the difference.

Scumbag College
08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello Copeland Bryan being active on opening day.

Michael82
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I still say that there's no point in bringing him to Rochester for 2 practices. So I think the deal will get done either tomorrow night or Wednesday and they will just have him join the team Thursday for the first Training Camp practice at the Ralph.

WeAreArthurMoates
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
John Warrow hinted that something may be done tomorrow.

Mr. Miyagi
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm sick of this ****ing ******* and his ******* agent. He's a ****ing rookie, hasn't accomplish jack **** yet. Sign the ****ing paper and get his ass into camp already. What the **** is the ****ing difference between a few million when your ****ing contract is for lots and lots of million dollars? ****ing greedy agent. **** him.

Mr. Miyagi
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm gonna boo his ass when he finally gets on the field. I'll tell you that much.

lmcshadow
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna boo his ass when he finally gets on the field. I'll tell you that much.
will you boo him after a couple of sacks...will ya?

BertSquirtgum
08-17-2009, 11:55 PM
i want to take a dump on him.

jamze132
08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
i want to take a dump on him.
what?

mchurchfie
08-18-2009, 04:07 AM
That idiot needs to get his undersized, inexperienced ass into camp. Spare me the bull**** about how he was crying when he watched his teammates on the field last week.

thenry20
08-18-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm sick of this ****ing ******* and his ******* agent. He's a ****ing rookie, hasn't accomplish jack **** yet. Sign the ****ing paper and get his ass into camp already. What the **** is the ****ing difference between a few million when your ****ing contract is for lots and lots of million dollars? ****ing greedy agent. **** him.

A-freakin-men!

Night Train
08-18-2009, 06:02 AM
He hired a greedy agent who is overplaying his hand.

I don't hold anything against the guy but hopefully he'll sign soon or have enough sense to fire his agent and get a deal done quickly.

He's only going to be a situational pass rusher this year anyhow and won't save Jaurons job all by himself.

don137
08-18-2009, 06:58 AM
will you boo him after a couple of sacks...will ya?
The problem is his ability to help this team are going down with every passing day. He will only be used to rush the passer in obvious passing situations. He is a one down player now and could of helped this team a lot more if he signed earlier. So yea, he may get a few sacks but he won't get as many as he would of had he signed earlier.

SABURZFAN
08-18-2009, 07:10 AM

be careful. you'll get some ****** in here who will say that you're not a Bills fan.

madness
08-18-2009, 07:57 AM

That's low.

The bottom line is that the average career of an NFL player lasts 3.5 years. It’s the agent’s job to see that he gets the most he can since he may never make it to a second contract.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-players-hold-out.html

I know I'd be fighting for every dime especially when it could come down to 5 million overall and/or 5 million in guaranteed money. The risk is to great especially when you look at the averages. You're first contract may be your last one.

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I can understand the frustration the fans are feeling right now but I also understand the position Maybin is in.

Pretty much he has a guy talking in his ear telling him that he can get an extra 2-3 million dollars added to his contract if he waits it out. Sorry but that is not an insignificant amount of money for anyone, including NFL players.

We're just going to have to give Maybin a pass on this one till he sorts out the business side of things. Its not like he doesn't want to be here.

yordad
08-18-2009, 08:14 AM
That's low.

I know I'd be fighting for every dime especially when it could come down to 5 million overall and/or 5 million in guaranteed money. The risk is to great especially when you look at the averages. You're first contract may be your last one.So they should fight for all kinds of money now, just in case they don't earn it?

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
So they should fight for all kinds of money now, just in case they don't earn it?
Yeah pretty much.

Or in case they get seriously injured and never have a chance to earn it.

billsfanone
08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
They should make him a deal. Take what the Bills are offering you. If you get over 10 sacks, you get what you are asking for.

Mr. Miyagi
08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I can understand the frustration the fans are feeling right now but I also understand the position Maybin is in.

Pretty much he has a guy talking in his ear telling him that he can get an extra 2-3 million dollars added to his contract if he waits it out. Sorry but that is not an insignificant amount of money for anyone, including NFL players.

We're just going to have to give Maybin a pass on this one till he sorts out the business side of things. Its not like he doesn't want to be here.
When you have 13-18 million, 2-3 million is relatively insignificant. And don't bother throwing percentages at me. How in the hell is anyone going to blow $13 million in a lifetime is beyond me, unless you're a total spoiled brat ahole who don't know how to invest and protect your money. $13 mil should be plenty enough to last a lifetime for an entire family. So spare me the tears.

psubills62
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
When you have 13-18 million, 2-3 million is relatively insignificant. And don't bother throwing percentages at me. How in the hell is anyone going to blow $13 million in a lifetime is beyond me, unless you're a total spoiled brat ahole who don't know how to invest and protect your money. $13 mil should be plenty enough to last a lifetime for an entire family. So spare me the tears.

2-3 million isn't that insignificant. I think the numbers just seem so large to us, especially since we're used to living off (generally) 5-figure salaries, that an extra few million doesn't seem like much. However, 3 million is 20% of 15 million. A 20% raise is not insignificant. While we all know that even getting 1 million is perfectly fine to take care of people's families, that's the thing about money....you always need more.

I think another thing we don't think about is how these players try to take care of their parents too. I know Marshawn bought his mother a house. I'm sure they donate a lot to charity and a good portion goes to the agent. That's all before even mentioning taxes.

In no way am I defending any sort of greed, but I guarantee those players end up with a much lower net total than the numbers suggest. Of course they're going to try to get more money.

Mr. Miyagi
08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
What part of "don't bother throwing percentages at me" did you not comprehend?

If I had $13 mill I could take care of myself, my family, my parents, my friends, and lots of others relatively well for a long time. How much is a decent size house? Half a mil? Please.

DMBcrew36
08-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Its enough to last a lifetime if you invest and don't go on spending sprees. Ofcourse they all seem to need a Bentley or a Lamborghini and multi-million dollar houses with extravagent pools and recreation areas, so yeah, nothing is ever enough. The guys are broke by the time they're 40 because they have no understanding of financial management. The temptation to spend is too much for them because a lot of them are coming from the hood.

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM

If I had $13 mill I could take care of myself, my family, my parents, my friends, and lots of others relatively well for a long time. How much is a decent size house? Half a mil? Please.
Maybin is 21 years old man.... 21... he has... on average, about 50 years left to live. 2-3 mil extra is a huge deal. If he is going to be a good player he will be a good player regardless of whether he holds out now or not. So really in his mind and the mind of his agent this is just a temporary glitch.

In 5 years from now if he is a great DE for this team, no one will care that he held out for 3 weeks as a rookie, and if in 5 years no one remembers the name Aaron Maybin anymore, again no one will think about the 2-3 weeks he missed of camp as a rookie.

The only one affected by this at the end of the day is Maybin. Sure the team is affected by not having him out there but that is part of the business as every player says.

psubills62
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Depends on the location and if he wants to give his mother more than a decent sized house.

Percentages are useful because they normalize the absolute numbers. It's easy to say you'd be happy with 13+ million dollars, but if you knew you could wait a little while and possibly be guaranteed 20% more, it would be more than tempting for pretty much everyone.

DraftBoy
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Might as well say don't bother using common sense or logic as well in that case.

In what neighborhood is a decent sized house only half a million?? 2BR Condo's cost more than half a million dollars in most cities.

k-oneputt
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Might as well say don't bother using common sense or logic as well in that case.

In what neighborhood is a decent sized house only half a million?? 2BR Condo's cost more than half a million dollars in most cities.

If he is living around Buffalo a half a million will find him a nice house.

DMBcrew36
08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Maybin is 21 years old man.... 21... he has... on average, about 50 years left to live. 2-3 mil extra is a huge deal. If he is going to be a good player he will be a good player regardless of whether he holds out now or not. So really in his mind and the mind of his agent this is just a temporary glitch.

In 5 years from now if he is a great DE for this team, no one will care that he held out for 3 weeks as a rookie, and if in 5 years no one remembers the name Aaron Maybin anymore, again no one will think about the 2-3 weeks he missed of camp as a rookie.

The only one affected by this at the end of the day is Maybin. Sure the team is affected by not having him out there but that is part of the business as every player says.

You're absolutely right, BUT, you're assuming that he is actually thinking ahead to when he's 70. Most guys like him don't think that far ahead - they just want their spinning rims and multi-million dollar homes. He's in the minority as an NFL player if he's THAT heady to be planning so far ahead. In reality, his agent is just pushing because the bigger the contract his client receives, the larger his own cut will be. The agent is smart enough to whisper whatever sweet nothings are necessary to convince the player to hold out for the bigger pay and his bigger cut.

DraftBoy
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
If he is living around Buffalo a half a million will find him a nice house.

I dont mean to offend any Buffalo residents, but why would he want to live around Buffalo exactly?

mayotm
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
A lot of people on this board think that Maybin is going to suck. Many of the same people are complaining about him not being signed. If he's going to suck, he's absolutely doing the right thing holding out for as much as he can now. If he's going to suck, he won't have another opportunity for a big contract.

DMBcrew36
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I dont mean to offend any Buffalo residents, but why would he want to live around Buffalo exactly?

He won't want to live here year round - none of them do. Only people from Western New York have such an affinity for the decaying region. He'll probably get a place near where he grew up for the offseason.

DraftBoy
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
He won't want to live here year round - none of them do. Only people from Western New York have such an affinity for the decaying region. He'll probably get a place near where he grew up for the offseason.

He's from MD originally.

sdbillsfan2
08-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Don't Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly still live around Western NY ? How about Jeff Nixon? Van Pelt ?

DraftBoy
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly still live around Western NY ? How about Jeff Nixon? Van Pelt ?

Thurman lives near Buffalo and has a business in Elma I think.

Kelly lives in East Aurora.

Though I believe both players also own homes in other states as well.

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 11:06 AM
You're absolutely right, BUT, you're assuming that he is actually thinking ahead to when he's 70. Most guys like him don't think that far ahead - they just want their spinning rims and multi-million dollar homes. He's in the minority as an NFL player if he's THAT heady to be planning so far ahead. In reality, his agent is just pushing because the bigger the contract his client receives, the larger his own cut will be. The agent is smart enough to whisper whatever sweet nothings are necessary to convince the player to hold out for the bigger pay and his bigger cut.
Maybe Maybin isn't thinking that far ahead, maybe he is, but you can bet his agent is advising him to think that far ahead because that's how they convince the player to be patient and let them get as much money as they can for them.

TigerJ
08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Salsports is reporting that the Bills and Maybin are near an agreement. He even has numbers. The numbers being discussed are in the ball park of a $26 million contract with guaranteed money around $14-15 million.

http://www.salsports.com/MaybinClose.htm

I don't know why CoachSal hasn't posted this himself.

mayotm
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Salsports is reporting that the Bills and Maybin are near an agreement. He even has numbers. The numbers being discussed are in the ball park of a $26 million contract with guaranteed money around $14-15 million.

http://www.salsports.com/MaybinClose.htm

I don't know why CoachSal hasn't posted this himself.The article isn't dated, but I think it's at least several days old.

k-oneputt
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Who said anything about year round, but if he is working there for at least half the year for at least five years you have to live somewhere. It would be pretty stupid to rent for that long.
I'm sure he will have a couple of houses.

alohabillsfan
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
He better be worth it... How come I get this feeling we have the next Erik Flowers?

I really would like the Bills to offer na split between 9 and 12 with a 24 hr take it or leave it! But thats just me, its priciple!

Goobylal
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I love the "he needs to get as much money as possible, in case this is his last contract because he sucks or gets injured." Why not take the slotted deal and prove yourself worthy of a new, bigger deal, before your rookie deal ends?

TigerJ
08-18-2009, 09:27 PM
The article isn't dated, but I think it's at least several days old.I double checked. I think it is from Saturday. Sal is now saying the hangup appears to be guaranteed money.

Romes
08-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I double checked. I think it is from Saturday. Sal is now saying the hangup appears to be guaranteed money.

Sal did post it. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=178023

ESPN now has an article up saying its unlikely he will sign in time to play in Saturday's game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4408243

Personally, I had a lot of patience for Maybin but this is now ridiculous. Unless the Bills are totally trying to shaft him with the contract they are offering, a possibility that I have a hard time believing, there is no reason he shouldn't be signed by now.

He is missing valuable time, most of the contracts around him are set and, most importantly, after he came in to town saying how he loved the game, understood Buffalo and its fans, said all the things about the team and the city people like to hear, he is now hitching his wagon to a disgruntled player, threatening a prolonged hold out.

I'll admit I'll be quick to forget if he performs on the field, but now, after all this waiting, he better ****ing perform! :mad:

Hemlepp53
08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
When we get him signed and he starts to play at potential say by week 4 or 5 he WILL produce and we WILL forget all about this. I have said it 100 times on here in different threads. I think he will be a playmaker for us for years to come. He junt needs to ink the contract....

OpIv37
08-18-2009, 10:49 PM
When we get him signed and he starts to play at potential say by week 4 or 5 he WILL produce and we WILL forget all about this. I have said it 100 times on here in different threads. I think he will be a playmaker for us for years to come. He junt needs to ink the contract....

We won't forget about it if he starts playing during week 5 and we're 1-4 largely because we can't get any pressure on opposing QB's.

I never liked this pick, but even most of the people who did like the pick freely admitted that he was a project and that he'd take time to develop. Well, we need pass rushing help immediately. This IS his time to develop. If it was a few days or a week or even the first preseason game, fine- it probably wouldn't have made much difference. But now he's looking at missing ALL of training camp and 3 preseason games, and he probably would have seen significant playing time in all of them.

Regardless of feelings on the initial choice to draft Maybin, the guy is now hurting the team. If we didn't need pass rushing help so bad, I'd be rooting for the Bills to tell him to go **** himself and enter the draft again next year.

OpIv37
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
and just for the record, I live in the DC area. It infuriates me to see the media and all the Skins fans kissing Orakpo's ass, especially after coming on here and reading about this crap Maybin is pulling.

DraftBoy
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
and just for the record, I live in the DC area. It infuriates me to see the media and all the Skins fans kissing Orakpo's ass, especially after coming on here and reading about this crap Maybin is pulling.

Most of that stuff is homeristic opinion that you normally argue with on here. Why are you buying it all the sudden in DC? He didnt do much of anything against Baltimore in real game action (1.5 tackles).

jamze132
08-19-2009, 12:46 AM
So Poz tells us he has been on constant contact with Maybin throughout this entire debacle. he says Maybin is "dying" everytime the Bills play. At what point do you tell your devil of an agent to go **** himself and get me on the field?

I understand that players hire agents to represent themselves on many different levels but if I hired an agent to get me a contract, I would hire an agent that shared the same values as me and I would tell him straight up, I want to be on the field by a certain date. I would also be asking him everyday what the status is and how the numbers look. If it kept dragging out and I really wanted to play, I would tell the guy to just get it done, I'm tired of not playing. Maybin has this ******* of an agent, probably a pretty good one too, in his ear telling him who knows what. I don't think his agent has Maybin's NFL career in his best interest. I think all he and Maybin care about is money, and lots of it.

I could be wrong but I don't get the impression that Maybin really wants to play right now. If he wanted to and he really cared about being successful in the NFL, he would have been on the field 3 weeks ago. I understand all the "taking care of my family" BS but come on. I provide for my family for a hell of a lot less and we are happy.

Philagape
08-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll never side with a guy who's going to become a multimillionaire before ever playing a down in the NFL.
The Bills aren't exactly big spenders, but they've always been fair with rookies so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

OpIv37
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Most of that stuff is homeristic opinion that you normally argue with on here. Why are you buying it all the sudden in DC? He didnt do much of anything against Baltimore in real game action (1.5 tackles).

Because even the people who aren't Skins fans are kissing his ass.

DraftBoy
08-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Because even the people who aren't Skins fans are kissing his ass.

Please tell me, you the king of questioning everything, is buying that line.

OpIv37
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Please tell me, you the king of questioning everything, is buying that line.

First, what reason would non-Skins fans have to talk up Orakpo?

Second, it was my opinion (and a lot of other people's too) that Orakpo was more prepared for the NFL than Maybin before the draft. These reports are confirming something I already thought.

Third, even if the consensus was that Orakpo looked mediocre, that's still more than what Maybin's showing from his couch.

casdhf
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
First, what reason would non-Skins fans have to talk up Orakpo?
How about because all the Skin fans that live in the area are?

OpIv37
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
How about because all the Skin fans that live in the area are?
yeah, that's it... non Skins fans feel the need to kiss Orakpo's ass just to appease the Skins fans. :rolleyes:

That makes ZERO sense.

casdhf
08-20-2009, 05:51 PM
It makes perfect sense if all the coverage in the area is about how well he's playing.

OpIv37
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
It makes perfect sense if all the coverage in the area is about how well he's playing.

only if you assume no one is capable of thinking for themselves.

TaylorThePirate
08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
i dont even know wjhat this threa **** it

DMBcrew36
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
i dont even know wjhat this threa **** it

You must be pretty ***** hammered. Thank you for your insight.

Romes
08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
:rofl:

Dr. Pepper
08-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Third, even if the consensus was that Orakpo looked mediocre, that's still more than what Maybin's showing from his couch.

good point.