PDA

View Full Version : Final Bills/Bears Game Analysis

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Finally looked at the game on DVR. Here are some thoughts:

1) McKelvin is scary good. Didn't realize he had a pass break up in the first series. This guy will be a pro-bowler. The pass break-up was a "heads up" play. For a guy who speaks poorly he plays smart.

2) For those who were complianing about Nic Harris's ability to play in coverage I ask you to rewatch the game. The guy should be the starter. PERIOD.

3) Alvin Bowen might want to step it up because I wasn't that impressed.

4) Ko Simpson and Ashton Yobouty are both going to be fighting to make the roster.

5) Wenlding, Schouman, and Derek Fine. Three guys that would have a very hard time making another team. I'm sick of hearing about how these guys are improving becuase they all look like crap.

6) Schobel actually looked decent. I hate Schobel but he was better than I thought.

7) Ellis is another one that I don't get the lovefest for. However Copeland Bryant should be pressing Denney because he looked great. GREAT.

8) Levitre is horrible. He gave up that sack, not Edwards. Nice of Trent not to role him under the bus. Levitre had one play where he was actually flat on his back. I've been watching football a long time and I've never seen that. Teams are going to exploit the left side of our line. It's already happening in pre-season.

9) Wood is huge and looked pretty decent. When he get's his technique down he'll be the best lineman we have.

scartown
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Levitre had a real solid game. He was getting some push. Blocked well on passing downs. I don't see how you can say he was horrible in the Bears game.

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 08:20 AM

1) McKelvin is scary good. Didn't realize he had a pass break up in the first series. This guy will be a pro-bowler. The pass break-up was a "heads up" play. For a guy who speaks poorly he plays smart.

2) For those who were complianing about Nic Harris's ability to play in coverage I ask you to rewatch the game. The guy should be the starter. PERIOD.

4) Ko Simpson and Ashton Yobouty are both going to be fighting to make the roster.

5) Wenlding, Schouman, and Derek Fine. Three guys that would have a very hard time making another team. I'm sick of hearing about how these guys are improving becuase they all look like crap.

6) Schobel actually looked decent. I hate Schobel but he was better than I thought.

7) Ellis is another one that I don't get the lovefest for. However Copeland Bryant should be pressing Denney because he looked great. GREAT.

8) Levitre is horrible. He gave up that sack, not Edwards. Nice of Trent not to role him under the bus. Levitre had one play where he was actually flat on his back. I've been watching football a long time and I've never seen that. Teams are going to exploit the left side of our line. It's already happening in pre-season.

9) Wood is huge and looked pretty decent. When he get's his technique down he'll be the best lineman we have.
Schobel did look pretty good, had a really nice bull rush that forced Cutler to throw early.

Im really impressed with Copeland Bryan, he is making plays that Kelsay can't.

Agreed. Harris should start.

Ashton Youboty isn't going anywhere. I think the Bills love his potential and if one of the McTandem go down he is a solid starter.

I think the OTs are the weakness of this team. Walker will get beat often. Joey Porter will be doing his kick-slap dance several times. Jason Taylor will join him.

I like Ellis a lot. He has improved bit time and has also improved his physique. He looks very well conditioned.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Levitre had a real solid game. He was getting some push. Blocked well on passing downs. I don't see how you can say he was horrible in the Bears game.

Rewatch the game. You are wrong.

scartown
08-18-2009, 08:26 AM

I've watched it twice. I don't see what you're seeing.

Pinkerton Security
08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

you're wrong

madness
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
The only that that has been even close to horrible for Levitre has been his consistency. Other than a breakdown every now and then, he's been solid but that's what you expect from a rookie at this point.

justasportsfan
08-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Does this mean HH is a bills fan for now?

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
you're wrong

I'm not tryung argue here but rewatch the game. There was one play that Levitre got leveled and was flat on his back. He gave up the sack on Edwards (even the annoucers said he did). Plus all of the breakdowns came through the left side.

I specifically hit the rewind to watch and re-watch the o-line. Levitre struggled.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
By the way I love Reggie Corner. The guy is everywhere. We might have one of the best secondary's in the league. If we ever get a pass rush and we would be scary good on defense.

PS. I'm officially calling Whitner average. OP was right.

Philagape
08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
McKelvin may already be the best player on defense

Which isn't saying much, but still

psubills62
08-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Hm, well I missed the game so all I've seen is the highlight clips. I really liked that the pressure from the DL forced Cutler to throw that INT.

I think Youboty showed enough last year to guarantee him a roster spot this year. He has a good amount of experience (more so than most of the CB's we have), and he is a good tackler with decent blitzing ability.

I'm really hoping Copeland Bryan can continue improving. The guy was a monster in the last preseason game last year. If he can show consistency during the rest of this preseason, I'd bet he has a roster spot with his name on it.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Hm, well I missed the game so all I've seen is the highlight clips. I really liked that the pressure from the DL forced Cutler to throw that INT.

I think Youboty showed enough last year to guarantee him a roster spot this year. He has a good amount of experience (more so than most of the CB's we have), and he is a good tackler with decent blitzing ability.

I'm really hoping Copeland Bryan can continue improving. The guy was a monster in the last preseason game last year. If he can show consistency during the rest of this preseason, I'd bet he has a roster spot with his name on it.

Copeland looked like the best DE on the field. His sack/strip was impressive. The guy is big and fast.

In regards to Yobouty he looked like he was making his way last year until he got hurt. But he is obviously fighting an injury to stay on the field and it is showing in his play now. I really believe he or Simpson or both are definately getting cut.

Lexwhat
08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
PS. I'm officially calling Whitner average. OP was right.

Don't forget me!

psubills62
08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Copeland looked like the best DE on the field. His sack/strip was impressive. The guy is big and fast.

In regards to Yobouty he looked like he was making his way last year until he got hurt. But he is obviously fighting an injury to stay on the field and it is showing in his play now. I really believe he or Simpson or both are definately getting cut.

Maybe Bob Sanders is really helping Copeland Bryan grow into a solid DE. That's my hope, anyway. I'd love to see this guy take a roster spot from one of the aging DE's. If we could get a DE core of Maybin, Ellis and Bryan going into the next few years, maybe we could have a great DL again.

It's frustrating because Youboty looked like a stud last year when healthy. If he just didn't get injured so much it would be an easy decision. Here's hoping he can return to form by the end of preseason.

billsfanone
08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Someone on the OL, I don't know who it was, was completely run over during the second series.

trapezeus
08-18-2009, 09:50 AM
youboty + great open field tackler, good nose for the ball
youboty - injured alot, seems to lack football desire

That kind of trackrecord makes you potentially disposable when corner and lankster have shown a good nose for the ball. If they are healthier and they show a desire to work hard at practice, i think it is possible that youboty is shown the door.

For me its his whole demeanor. I understood his mother passed away, but it took him an incredibly long time to come back. and that first year was pretty much missed. Then last year i think he had two injuries and missed most of the second half of the sesaon. i begin to wonder what his dedication to the game is at that point.

You watch a lankster compete superhard and stay around late and have mcgee's respect, that translates into desire. and you know when it's 2 degrees outside and you need a play, he's going to be amped up to deliver. youboty, he might hold his toe and go down early in that game.

that's my viewpoint. Youboty in someways could be like losman in that he has a lot of potential but can't use it effectively

justasportsfan
08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
youboty + great open field tackler, good nose for the ball
youboty - injured alot, seems to lack football desire

huh?

psubills62
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
huh?

Youboty's positives and negatives.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Someone on the OL, I don't know who it was, was completely run over during the second series.

Levitre. He was flat on his ass. I'm not sure what people were watching when they said he looked good because he struggled the entire 1st half.

justasportsfan
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Youboty's positives and negatives.
I hear you ,that but how does one tell if he lacks football desire when he tackles better more than most of our defensive players when he's not injured . Can't be that one lacks football desire just because he's injury prone. That would mean Trent lacks it too.

Syderick
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Schobel looked better then I thought too. He kept pushing back on the Bear Tackle. Schouman and Fine seem to be all right.

psubills62
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I hear you ,that but how does one tell if he lacks football desire when he tackles better more than most of our defensive players when he's not injured . Can't be that one lacks football desire just because he's injury prone. That would mean Trent lacks it too.

Ah, now I see. I'm not exactly sure where he got the "lacks football desire" thing...maybe because it took him so long to develop?

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Schobel looked better then I thought too. He kept pushing back on the Bear Tackle. Schouman and Fine seem to be all right.
That was Orlando Pace that he drove back into Cutler. Pretty impressive.

Yasgur's Farm
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Ellis got his sack against the starting tackle as well... The kid continues to improve and will contribute.

TigerJ
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I did not have the opportunity to watch or record he game, so I can't tell who's right and who's wrong. Simpson and John Wendling are probably bubble players on this team. With Scott, Whitner and Byrd all but guaranteed roster spots and George Wilson known to be a reliable backup, Buffalo may only carry 4 safeties.

madness
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I did not have the opportunity to watch or record he game, so I can't tell who's right and who's wrong. Simpson and John Wendling are probably bubble players on this team. With Scott, Whitner and Byrd all but guaranteed roster spots and George Wilson known to be a reliable backup, Buffalo may only carry 4 safeties.

I think that's how it goes down as well. There's no drop off from Wilson to Simpson and Wilson is a standout on ST.

Mahdi
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I think that's how it goes down as well. There's no drop off from Wilson to Simpson and Wilson is a standout on ST.
Plus Wilson can play both Free and Strong. Simpson only Free.

ddaryl
08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I honestly fail to see what is wrong with Fine at TE at this point. The guy missed 1/2 of his rookie season, but then he comes in and made some nice grabs in limited action.

he has made some grabs in preseason as well.

his blocking I haven't been able to track. it is very difficult to see the numbers on jerseys from the sideline angle when the plays start.... but his ability to get out into a route seems to be at a pretty good spot IMO...

Nelson should develope ahead of Fine in time, but I see no reason to think that Fine can't play and wouldn't make another team.... that's kind of laughable

I also find it really weird that you dis Ellis. The one guy who caused a fumble and had a classic hussle sack around the LT to boot