PDA

View Full Version : The word is.... D.Bell getting starting reps at LT

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
borrowed form BuffaloBills10 on the official Bills forum

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

D.Bell was getting starting reps at LT. Might be old news, and I know he has been getting some shots at LT... but I wasn't aware of him getting some 1st team reps in practice, which probably means he gets to play LT with the starters this weekend... hopefully

other then that nothing else ... but the fact that he has played well enough this preseaosn to have earned some starting reps at the position is encouraging... and we need more encouragment

WeAreArthurMoates
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd love to see the line look like this.

Bell @ LT, Butler @ LG, Hangartner @ C, Wood @ RG, Walker @ RT

Then you let Levitre sit on the bench to be groomed to compete with Bulter or Hangartner. Then next season he see Levitre @ RG and Wood @ C.

THATHURMANATOR
08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Good move him to LT, Walker back to RT and Butler back to RG. Levitre doesn't look to be ready

yordad
08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
This would be a best case scenario. But, I think we are all gettign a head a little bit. That would just be too awesome.

Tatonka
08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
you cant shuffle the line that much again as training camp ends.. our line is going to be so awful.

psubills62
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I also believe someone on bb.com said that it was just a few reps so he could get a feel for being the swing tackle. There may come times when he needs to play at LT, so might as well get him some reps with the first team.

Mahdi
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
If Bell ever starts... I would go with

Bell - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Walker

Butler is not a G plain and simple. He is 6'7 and can't get any leverage against the shorter more powerful NTs and DEs we face.

madness
08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
If a backup getting some 1st team reps signifies a change in the starting lineup... oh, forget it.

:banghead:

trapezeus
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
this is what training camp is all about. specifically with such a blank slate of an OL. Try everyone everywhere and see what works.

I don't really knkow the depth behind LT. If walker goes down, i think its chambers. and that's just as scary as it was 2 years ago when peters missed the last game of the season. if bell can be put over there for back up purposes or just flat out outplay walker, good news for us. if it doesn't work, then back to what we are originally slotting.

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
you cant shuffle the line that much again as training camp ends.. our line is going to be so awful.

that much ?

Walker back to RT and Bell at LT

We've already have a full 5 player swap so I really can't imagine any loss by that move

If bell is looking ready then it makes more sense to get Walker back to his comfortable spot at RT and let bell have the last 3 weeks of preseason....

but even if its to get Bell more work at the position he is going to eventually claim then this is the time to do it

If Walker goes down as our LT wouldn't you feel alot better knowing Bell had signifcant playing time and gained the needed experience to possibly take over... or are you feeling better about one of our other LT prospects ????

who knows what this means, but I get nothing but a positive vibe from it myself

mysticsoto
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm all for giving Bell more reps, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Watch the previous game closely and you'll see that Bell actually struggled at LT at times against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'm not confident he is ready yet. But by all means, give him reps and experience. Walker doesn't need that. What Walker needs is to lose some weight...366 lbs is too high for him at LT.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm all for giving Bell more reps, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Watch the previous game closely and you'll see that Bell actually struggled at LT at times against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'm not confident he is ready yet. But by all means, give him reps and experience. Walker doesn't need that. What Walker needs is to lose some weight...366 lbs is too high for him at LT.

Great post as I rewatched the 2nd half of the game again last night. Bell is not ready.

PS. Pat was half right on Harris. In the second half he decided to gamble on getting to the QB which left his guy wide open for that TD. I still like the massive hit he put on the guy though.

Simpson, OMG. Man does he suck. It's bad when the rookie is yelling at you!!

Mitchell55
08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
If Bell ever starts... I would go with

Bell - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Walker

Butler is not a G plain and simple. He is 6'7 and can't get any leverage against the shorter more powerful NTs and DEs we face.

Yes we will bench the most consistant lineman that we have had in the past 3 years for a rookie who looks horrible. Smart!

madness
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes we will bench the most consistant lineman that we have had in the past 3 years for a rookie who looks horrible. Smart!

Who's benching Walker?

Mitchell55
08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Who's benching Walker?

Butler DA

Mahdi
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Butler doesn't get beat often, he's good in pass pro but he also doesn't get much push in the run game. Levtire and Wood were brought in to do exactly that.

If Buffalo can't run the ball this year again, forget playoffs.

Oaf
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Bell really hasn't looked that great IMO in preseason.

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

a.) You need to learn to read... Walker is back at RT in his scenario

b.) Bell has not looked horrible. He may not be ready to start but ...

jamze132
08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Butler DA
You think butler is our best lineman? wow.

Mahdi
08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Bell really hasn't looked that great IMO in preseason.
I just don't think Walker will be able to handle the speed rushers in our division. Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas, Derrick Burgess, Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace... not to mention all the other teams we face that have top notch DEs.

Bell at least has the feet and the athletic ability to match up against these guys.

madness
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Butler DA

No. Walker... DA.

Tatonka
08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
what was said was bell to LT, butler to RG, which he has never played, and walker back to RT.. that is 3 changes. added with a new center and a rookie RG.. that is ****ed.
that much ?

Walker back to RT and Bell at LT

We've already have a full 5 player swap so I really can't imagine any loss by that move

If bell is looking ready then it makes more sense to get Walker back to his comfortable spot at RT and let bell have the last 3 weeks of preseason....

but even if its to get Bell more work at the position he is going to eventually claim then this is the time to do it

If Walker goes down as our LT wouldn't you feel alot better knowing Bell had signifcant playing time and gained the needed experience to possibly take over... or are you feeling better about one of our other LT prospects ????

who knows what this means, but I get nothing but a positive vibe from it myself

Crisis
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Great post as I rewatched the 2nd half of the game again last night. Bell is not ready.

PS. Pat was half right on Harris. In the second half he decided to gamble on getting to the QB which left his guy wide open for that TD. I still like the massive hit he put on the guy though.

Simpson, OMG. Man does he suck. It's bad when the rookie is yelling at you!!
ko is the new tim anderson around here.

sucks, i was so excited about him after his rookie year.

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 06:40 PM
what was said was bell to LT, butler to RG, which he has never played, and walker back to RT.. that is 3 changes. added with a new center and a rookie RG.. that is ****ed.

my bad
I never really thought about Butler in that whole equation..

TigerJ
08-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I also believe someone on bb.com said that it was just a few reps so he could get a feel for being the swing tackle. There may come times when he needs to play at LT, so might as well get him some reps with the first team.This makes sense, and is the most likely explanation for Bell's 1st team reps at LT. There's a good chance he starts eventually at LT, but I think the Bills' coaching staff will take their time if they can (ie. Walker doesn't suck too badly at LT).

Goobylal
08-19-2009, 09:14 PM
With Levitre at LG, I can't see them starting Bell at LT. However if they shift Butler to LG (will actually be an easier position for him than RG), putting Walker at RT, and keeping Hangartner and Wood at C and RG respectively, I can see them doing it.

Night Train
08-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Someone needs to explain the Brad Butler loyalty to me.

He's a swinging door at both Guard and Tackle, yet many here promote him as this imaginary solid player. What games are you watching ? He gets destroyed with alarming regularity by opposing DL.

If Levitre isn't ready, I rather see Seth McKinney at Guard. I don't pretend to know if he's even the answer but Butler is not.

ddaryl
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
With Levitre at LG, I can't see them starting Bell at LT. However if they shift Butler to LG (will actually be an easier position for him than RG), putting Walker at RT, and keeping Hangartner and Wood at C and RG respectively, I can see them doing it.

I honestly don't think Levitre wil be the starter before the end of preseaosn.

There has ot be a vet who gives us better play until he gets more experience.

Levitre just is not ready to be a starter yet IMO. Glad their giving him the opportunity, but if one of our Vets can't beat him out well that is a bad sign for our depth

Mahdi
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I honestly don't think Levitre wil be the starter before the end of preseaosn.

There has ot be a vet who gives us better play until he gets more experience.

Levitre just is not ready to be a starter yet IMO. Glad their giving him the opportunity, but if one of our Vets can't beat him out well that is a bad sign for our depth
Levitre will be fine. He just needs a little time. The more he is out there with the first team in practice and pre-season the more comfortable he will be by the time week one rolls around.

Also, Brad Butler is not a G, and his ability to play OT is still in question.

ddaryl
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Levitre will be fine. He just needs a little time. The more he is out there with the first team in practice and pre-season the more comfortable he will be by the time week one rolls around.

Also, Brad Butler is not a G, and his ability to play OT is still in question.

I think Levitre needs a year to add some muscle bulk.. and I really don't think he is ready or will be ready enough by week #1, and if he is our best option at LG then I'm even more worried now. Getting him work is good, but giving him the starting position so he can continue to get work isn't the right answer

We have other options besides Butler also. McKinney and Chambers are options

Mahdi
08-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I think Levitre needs a year to add some muscle bulk.. and I really don't think he is ready or will be ready enough by week #1, and if he is our best option at LG then I'm even more worried now. Getting him work is good, but giving him the starting position so he can continue to get work isn't the right answer

We have other options besides Butler also. McKinney and Chambers are options
There are very few G in the league that play at Chamber's and Butler's size. You have to be very talented and very strong. Chambers and Butler are not among those few.

Levitre is 6'2 305.. that' very good for a G. He is also very mobile and has good speed. There's no reason to believe that he is not physically ready to play now.

He might have had 1 or 2 bad plays so far in pre-season, that's not a big deal.

ddaryl
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
He might have had 1 or 2 bad plays so far in pre-season, that's not a big deal.

I guess that where I see it different. 1 or 2 ???

He's been on his back a couple of times, bull rushed into the backfield a couple of times, and he is essentially a 2nd round rookie who needs to develope.

Wood on the other hand has shown the ability to play as a rookie.

Will see if Levitre improves enough ove rthese last few preseaosn games. But after games 1 and 2 I think he needs to be a backup in the beginning

mysticsoto
08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
It's too early to fully decide if Levitre should have the position or not. There are still a few weeks of prep work he can do to get better and 2 preseason game to add experience to his play and then we can decide if he is ready or not. As of now, I'd say let him keep playing LG. Despite his occasional bad play, his upside is an order of magnitude better than Butler, McKinney or Chambers...

ddaryl
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
As of now, I'd say let him keep playing LG. Despite his occasional bad play, his upside is an order of magnitude better than Butler, McKinney or Chambers...

I agree... but I'm a tad more worried about keeping edwards upside, and Lynch and Jackson getting thru the gap before getting hit

however let Levitre continue to get reps, but at some point we need to solidify the OL and if Levitre keeps getting pushed back we have to olet him be depth

mysticsoto
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree... but I'm a tad more worried about keeping edwards upside, and Lynch and Jackson getting thru the gap before getting hit

however let Levitre continue to get reps, but at some point we need to solidify the OL and if Levitre keeps getting pushed back we have to olet him be depth

After watching this last game, I really noticed how the no-huddle helped Edwards get rid of the ball faster before anyone could get to him. I usually slam the coaches with their bad calls, but I'll give them some credit here - it was a good idea to go to the no-huddle allowing Edwards to use his smarts, accuracy and most importantly quick-decision-making ability all the while helping to hide the deficiencies of a newly put together Oline...

ddaryl
08-20-2009, 10:25 AM
^^^^^

it also helps compensate for some of our OL weaknesses to. If Edwards can consistently get rid of the ball quicker.

but we definitely need ot continue making big investments into our OL so we have a line that can hold blocks and dominate.

It's really hard to understand how the Bills have been inept and building the OL and DL in the last decade