PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Maybin!

Patrick76777
08-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't hold me to my numbers. Just based off a quick estimation.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810d9ec2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute.

The 9th pick got 5 years $28.5 Mill and $18M Guaranteed.

The 12th pick got 5 years $23 Mill and $13M Guaranteed.

Now if Crabtree (10) wasn’t fighting for more money, it would be simple. He would get about 5 - $26 - $16. Meaning Maybin (11)would come in about 5 - $24.5 - $14.5. Easy as can be!

But as we all know, Crabtree wants Heyward-Bey (pick 7) money, 5 – $38.25 – $23.5. There’s no way Crabtree gets that kind of money but say he can get something between where he’s slotted and what Heyward-Bey got? Let’s say he signs for 5 - $30 - $20. Suddenly Maybin could conceivably be slotted in at about 5 - $26.5 - $16.5! That’s a difference of $2,000,000! 2 mil in guaranteed money!

I don’t know about you guys, but if I was told that if I hold out for another week or so I could make an extra $2 mil guaranteed, I think I’d be holding out too!

Of course, the Bills may not be willing to go $2 Mil higher but Maybin would have much more leverage.

Mahdi
08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
It makes sense... there is a 5 mil dollar gap in guaranteed money that Maybin's agent and the Bills are pushing and pulling over.

Maybe Maybin is asking for 16 or 17 and they are offering 14 or 15 mil guaranteed. Actually im almost certain that this hold out is based on the guaranteed part of the contract. They probably even agreed already on the total value and the years.

For example right now Maybin could be asking for 17 mil and they may be only offering 14.

If this is the case then I have no problem with Maybin trying to get as much as he can within that range.

I would be against Maybin however if he was waiting for Crabtree and trying to cash in on his greed.

Akhippo
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Slotting is slotting. Why should the bills let one abberation; the Raiders and DHB, trickle down to our pick. DHB lends itself to Crabtree which should? lend itself to Maybin.

Crabtree + DBH in a very remote scenario. Maybin isnt a WR and doesnt really have a place at the same table. 5/25/15 should get him in.

trapezeus
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
The $2MM is a lot of money, but you have to weigh that against the probability of happening. The contract now = 99% chance of happening vs. the contract plus $2MM =probably not happening.

I would guess that the bills will consider something in the middle for another week, but i bet once this gets into the season, they wear the pants. Knowing how ralph and co play with players who don't work within the system, i think the bills are happier to just give up the pick, save the cash and hope next year brings them something better.

I also would guess they'd be weary of this agent going forward. Slotting should not have this kind of controversy and if this agent is the only guy other than crabtree willing to complain about something that normally follows some pretty finite rules, imagine what he'll be like when a player is just a jason peters player and how hard he'll push there.

methos4ever
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I won't hold you to your numbers, but, if Sal's story's true, they're already offering 25-26 with 14-16 guaranteed. So he may be thinking:

5/6 - 27-30 with 17-20 guar. Which is insane. Again, just a guess.

Night Train
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
He has a team of agents, led by Joel Segal. Why he needs fellow Penn St. grad Lavar Arrington as an advisor, I don't know. Arrington is using the Michael Crabtree impass as the sole excuse, as if that deal must be done before Maybin signs. What rubbish. As if the other contracts right around his #11 slot cannot produce proper parameters to work from.

Sounds like too many hands in the pot. They all want their cut but he's left alone with the media & fans to fend for himself, once he finally shows. He's coming off as an A$$hat before ever taking the field.

Bad representation. He should fire all of them in the next 48 hours if a deal isn't reached.

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybin has all the right to get the best contract for himself and his entourage

BUT I also have the right to want to ***** slap the pissant for not being in camp and making the Bills a better team

Canadian'eh!
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
There is NO exuse.

You're a one year wonder who just won the lotto by being picked #11. which means you are guaranteed to make over 14 million dollars.

Instead of signing a reasonable deal for that given slot in the draft, you are hididng behind some other player who is trying to buck the system for even more money. Which essentially means you're so greedy that 14 million isn't enough for you to btoher trying to earn that obscene money.

Sign the ****ing deal and get to work trying to earn it. you're alredy going to get more money than 99.9% of the world will ever see in their lifetimes, to go out and play 4-5 years of football!

cocamide
08-19-2009, 12:34 PM
It's his life, not ours. Half of the people on here would probably eat their first child for two million dollars. I used to be against any player that held out for more money, but not so much anymore*. At any time a player can have a career ending injury or just plain stink and get cut. Either way, they're done and will most likely be living off whatever money they have already made. I'm not saying that I respect Maybin for what he's doing; in fact, the opposite is true. However, I do understand his position, but as a fan, I want his ass on the team as quickly as possible.

* There is a right and wrong way to go about holding out. Evans did it the right way and got rewarded. Peters did it the wrong way and still got rewarded. Evans has money and the respect of the fans. Peters has money, but I doubt anyone outside of Philly respects him.

trapezeus
08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
in maybin's defense, it isnt' exactly a lotto. he's putting his body on the line that makes it risky to think he'll finish out a 6 year contract in good shape. average player lives in the NFL is 3 years. You got to get that Guarnateed money now.

Also, add in the chance that 2011 is a wash and a lockout, you are kind of missing some of that cash.

I understand why he does it, but i don't think he understands the probability of getting what he wants is going to nosedive after the steelers game. The bills will have made adjustments (or so you would think) to live life without him. You have a owner who threw out the best option at LB last year because he was gaming the system.

So in some ways the $14MM guarantees is fair, but if maybin thinks there is a chance for $2MM to get inked in the next two weeks, all the better for him to go get it.

I would assume he's looking at this the way we normal folks look at refinancing. we love when the rate goes down. and even with a huge savings, we still wait to lock until we think we have the lowest rate possible. Does that make us greedy that we are asking for more of a savings?

jimbledsoe
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Can we please put this in perspective. These guys have an opportunity to make a rediculous amount of money that I can only dream of. Yes, they can get hurt or lose their mojo and be cut. 14 million dollars should do the trick.

In this country, we have men that work as coal miners, on oil rigs, on sky scrapers and they have alot of risk in their jobs as well. They also have strong unions behind them trying to fight multi-billion dollar company for money. The difference is they are fighting for 2 to 3 more dollars per hour, not 2-3 more million per year.

I do not really undertand this mentality and I believe it is a bad trend that will end football as we know it.

Tatonka
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
It's his life, not ours. Half of the people on here would probably eat their first child for two million dollars. I used to be against any player that held out for more money, but not so much anymore*. At any time a player can have a career ending injury or just plain stink and get cut. Either way, they're done and will most likely be living off whatever money they have already made. I'm not saying that I respect Maybin for what he's doing; in fact, the opposite is true. However, I do understand his position, but as a fan, I want his ass on the team as quickly as possible.

* There is a right and wrong way to go about holding out. Evans did it the right way and got rewarded. Peters did it the wrong way and still got rewarded. Evans has money and the respect of the fans. Peters has money, but I doubt anyone outside of Philly respects him.

best post of the month.

justasportsfan
08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree. But Evans and Peters have proven themselves in this league and Maybin hasn't done squat especially when you think he's only been a 1 year starter in college.

I wonder how much Arringtons cut is.

ddaryl
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
* There is a right and wrong way to go about holding out. Evans did it the right way and got rewarded. .

Evans never held out

although I assume you meant ask for a new contract

PromoTheRobot
08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
The answer is always "pay the man." And next year when agents see how easily the Bills caved we'll have another holdout, and the answer next year will be "pay the man." Then in 2011...you get the picture.

PTR

Typ0
08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
There is no way I would sell out either of my children for any amount of money in any fashion.

ChristopherWalken
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I think it's BS to play rookies that kind of cash anyway! Too much of a gamble for teams. And lets be honest, his chances of making it in the NFL are much less than him falling flat on his face.

So, I side with the Bills on this one.

All rookie contracts should be built and based on performance.

If you don't produce, you don't get paid. That's how it works for the rest of the working world.