• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

Wow all of a sudden people agree

Yeah, it had to have only been 2-3 weeks, but it seems like a year ago I was the very first person on this board to declare that I thought the Bills should give Maybin a final offer and tell him to take it or leave it.

Obviously, you are all coming around...Well, not all, but I sure am seeing a lot of people saying they're ready to tell Maybin to p-off. I sure am.

Seriously, do you want to drop 20 million on a guy who has a lot of question marks, but one certain thing being if he does have one or two good season, he'll be holding out again and wiggling his way out of Buffalo.

We have a quality 1st round pick, signed. People try to trade down to avoid the risk. Let's avoid it by telling him to walk. It'll change rookie contract negotiations forever. We'd be geniuses.
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Wow all of a sudden people agree

yeah, that's it. You are the brainchild of the BZ. congrats.

I wouldn't let that guy walk, I would do what it takes to sign him, then punish him. I know Buffalo has been wasting 1st round picks for years now, but we can't afford to continue that trend.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

the screw is loose
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Beastie Bills
        Senior Zoner
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jamze132
        yeah, that's it. You are the brainchild of the BZ. congrats.

I wouldn't let that guy walk, I would do what it takes to sign him, then punish him. I know Buffalo has been wasting 1st round picks for years now, but we can't afford to continue that trend.
        I'm not saying I agree that we should let him walk, but you think we should SIGN HIM and then PUNISH HIM? As in SUSPEND him? That is an even worse idea than letting him walk. The problem with him holding out like this is that it will take a long time for him to get on the field and really make a difference. If we suspend him, it will only make it take even longer.

I'd rather let him walk than pay him to not play.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Just how difficult is it to do one thing, rush the passer. I don't think him missing camp is that big of a deal. Sure, he won't know anything about defensive calls and stunts and such, but if the situation is 3rd and long, I wonder what he is going to be asked to do?

This is not that big of a deal right now. If he is still not signed before the opener, then I might be a little worried. A little.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
            Yeah, it had to have only been 2-3 weeks, but it seems like a year ago I was the very first person on this board to declare that I thought the Bills should give Maybin a final offer and tell him to take it or leave it.

Obviously, you are all coming around...Well, not all, but I sure am seeing a lot of people saying they're ready to tell Maybin to p-off. I sure am.

Seriously, do you want to drop 20 million on a guy who has a lot of question marks, but one certain thing being if he does have one or two good season, he'll be holding out again and wiggling his way out of Buffalo.

We have a quality 1st round pick, signed. People try to trade down to avoid the risk. Let's avoid it by telling him to walk. It'll change rookie contract negotiations forever. We'd be geniuses.
            I'm not in full agreement, but I'm beginning to come around. I can't stand Maybin's attitude. A one year college starter thumbing his nose at what is probably a $25 million contract represents everything I hate in self-centered, greedy athletes.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Let him walk and we look like geniuses? Not sure about that. But, I would begin to decrease my offer, or at least the guarentees, because the more time he misses, the less immediate impact he is likely to have.
              Last edited by yordad; 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

No one agrees with you about not signing Maybin. That is complete idiocy. We are annoyed the process is taking so long. HUGE difference.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

i love how 80% of this board caves in negotiations. Yeah, Maybin is needed, but the precedent that gets set when you cave to player demands has a jerry jones like effect on the league.

As for calling Maybin out, yeah, i think his chances of getting the higher contract become really slim seeing that crabtree's situation isn't any different. if the bills get push in these 3 weeks of preseason, i'd think he's going to be coming to them with a contract offer. but this is his decision. if he thinks he has a shot at an extra $1mm or $2mm, then he should hold out.

I think we are all being delusional when we call him greedy and then think we would do something different in that situation. He is being asked to play an extremely physical sport at high levels. If he doesn't get the most out of the guaranteed money, chances are almost 50% that he isn't playing in the NFL by his 6th season.

And i'm guessing most NFL players aren't really ready for life away from football.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus
                    i love how 80% of this board caves in negotiations. Yeah, Maybin is needed, but the precedent that gets set when you cave to player demands has a jerry jones like effect on the league.

As for calling Maybin out, yeah, i think his chances of getting the higher contract become really slim seeing that crabtree's situation isn't any different. if the bills get push in these 3 weeks of preseason, i'd think he's going to be coming to them with a contract offer. but this is his decision. if he thinks he has a shot at an extra $1mm or $2mm, then he should hold out.

I think we are all being delusional when we call him greedy and then think we would do something different in that situation. He is being asked to play an extremely physical sport at high levels. If he doesn't get the most out of the guaranteed money, chances are almost 50% that he isn't playing in the NFL by his 6th season.

And i'm guessing most NFL players aren't really ready for life away from football.
                    just bc we want to just sign him and get it over that means we're somehow bad negotiators, as if we were actually negotiating his contract? We just want to see the dude on the field getting reps and working on his game, as fans

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

I' m pissed off about the whole deal... and I believe maybin needs to put his tail between his legs and realize he's the one that came out of college 2 years early and he needs to get to work ASAP...

but I'm not willing to put a hard lined stance and tell him to sign or sit either...

We drafted him, it's our bane to handle... it'll get done, and yes I have lost respect for maybin... .However a 10 sack season with some solid run support and all is forgiven

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

it's at an impasse and people are like, "just sign him" or "he should just take the lower amount."

Neither side would have jobs if they gave in like this. While the team needs him and he needs the team, this is about money. One group is trying to pay less and one is trying to get more. The bills have a huge headache on their hands if they cave to this. Every year we go through with this. They set precedents. With Peters, they did the right thing by making him swallow his pride and come back in without a contract.

I'm not pointing anyone specifically out, but the situation is what it is. The crabtree situation is the major impediment to this. I think the agent is stupid to think the 49er's will cave on this. The slotting is pretty much determined and the bills should hold their ground. if ellis can help this year and show as much in preseason, maybin is going to lose most of the year, get a lower offer and probably never come into his own. That sucks for us as fans. But there is a draft next year. For maybin, this is his shot.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Difference: You wanted to toss him 3 weeks ago. The difference is three weeks. That is like buying eggs, and the next day calling them rotten. Then waiting a month and saying "See people, I told you they were rotten".
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                            The crabtree situation is the major impediment to this. I think the agent is stupid to think the 49er's will cave on this. The slotting is pretty much determined and the bills should hold their ground.
                            Agreed. Singletary could care less. He stated that he isnt thinking about Crabtree at all until he walks into the locker room and is able to play. He said it is not even in the back of his head. So if the coach wont play the name your deal game... hes assed out... Mike Singletary is an old school smashmouth type player and coach. He doesnt care where you were drafted .. he wants WINNER and dedication to the team. Look last year he sent Davis to the locker room mid game. Crabtree is messing with the wrong one on this.... IMO
                            @Hemlepp53

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Everyone seems to think OBD has written him a blank check and he's not filling in the numbers just to be a jerk about it. The bills have something to do with this situation too.

Comment

Working...
                              X