PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, Haynes or Bledsoe?

WG
05-22-2003, 10:46 AM
With the draft pick that we traded to N.E. for Drew, we could have had Michael Haynes in this season's draft.

Would you rather have Haynes or Bledsoe?

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-22-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm not a huge fan of what Bledsoe did the last 7 games of last year, but I'd still take him over an unproven rookie DE.

If we wouldn't have gotten Bledsoe last year we wouldn't be talking about Michael Haynes, we'd be talking about Suggs because we would've defenitely been in the Top 10.

Suggs would be awesome to have, but if we didn't have Bledsoe who would be our QB? We could be a lot worse off if you ask me.

Stewie
05-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Hmm.. A pro bowl quarterback who put asses in the seats, or an unproven rookie DE who came from a school that is notorious for NFL busts.. Hmm.. thats a tough one..

WG
05-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Say McDougle then Paul. Or Fain.

Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
I'm not a huge fan of what Bledsoe did the last 7 games of last year, but I'd still take him over an unproven rookie DE.

If we wouldn't have gotten Bledsoe last year we wouldn't be talking about Michael Haynes, we'd be talking about Suggs because we would've defenitely been in the Top 10.

Suggs would be awesome to have, but if we didn't have Bledsoe who would be our QB? We could be a lot worse off if you ask me.

Can you name a season other than '96 or '97 where you are a huge fan of what Bledsoe did??

Bledsoe's last season slide and poor performances against teams over .500 is characteristic of his entire career.

Ebenezer
05-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Haynes with whom at QB?? Sorry, no contest, I'll take Bledsoe. I've explained this one a million times

We traded Price and moved down 9 spots for Bledsoe and McGahee and got the services of Price for a year.

WYS, you still have NEVER answered who would be QB of the Bills if you were the GM and had not acquired Bledsoe.

WG
05-22-2003, 11:21 AM
As well paul, "asses in the seats" is not a priority for me. Winning a championship is. And if Drew has proven anything over his 10 year career, it's that he chokes in games that lead to championships.

Only the blind and members of the Ostrich Club see it differently.

Again, in the playoffs, Drew is:

129 of 252, for 51.2%, barely over 200 YPG, 5.3 YPA, and 6 TDs, 12 INTs.

He led his team to an average of just over 15 offensive points in those games, most of which came courtesy of Curtis Martin's rushing and not Drew's passing.

Other than the SB, the Pats scored only 13 offensive points only once in the playoffs, and that was in a game where Martin had 166 rushing yards and 3 TDs

I sure as heck hope that if we make the playoffs this year that Bledsoe doesn't play like that!!! We'd lose for sure!

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

I agree 100%

THATHURMANATOR
05-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Haynes....

Ebenezer
05-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
As well paul, "asses in the seats" is not a priority for me. Winning a championship is. And if Drew has proven anything over his 10 year career, it's that he chokes in games that lead to championships.

Only the blind and members of the Ostrich Club see it differently.

Again, in the playoffs, Drew is:

129 of 252, for 51.2%, barely over 200 YPG, 5.3 YPA, and 6 TDs, 12 INTs.

He led his team to an average of just over 15 offensive points in those games, most of which came courtesy of Curtis Martin's rushing and not Drew's passing.

Other than the SB, the Pats scored only 13 offensive points only once in the playoffs, and that was in a game where Martin had 166 rushing yards and 3 TDs

I sure as heck hope that if we make the playoffs this year that Bledsoe doesn't play like that!!! We'd lose for sure!

Again, without Bledsoe, who is the QB of your team GM WYS??

Dozerdog
05-22-2003, 11:26 AM
You should retitle this

Bledsoe AND McGahee
or
Palmer-or-Leftwich

If you are filling a DE with your #1 pick without a QB, we are screwed.

Dozerdog
05-22-2003, 11:27 AM
And trust me, we would have been bad enough to have a shot at these two

Earthquake Enyart
05-22-2003, 11:27 AM
If you didn't have Drew, you wouldn't be drafting Haynes. You'd have Blake Chandler at QB and you'd be drafting Grossman.

Ebenezer
05-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

still waiting...

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 11:34 AM
This is a great thread.

Earthquake Enyart
05-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Haynes....

:eek:

BillsNYC
05-22-2003, 11:42 AM

still waiting...

rob johnson baby!!!
:chuckle:

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 11:56 AM
In Wys head if he were GM:

AVP would have started last season with Shawn Bryson as the starting running back. Bryson would have been a man on fire. AVP would play average football bringing us to the same 5-3 start. Moulds and Price would have modest but good numbers. AVP’s play would fall off and after we went 5-7, we would have called on Travis Brown, who goes off. He would win our last 4 games putting up Sick numbers. A 9-7 finish would put us right in the middle of the first round and picking up Haynes. Which would give us the dominant defense we’ve been wanting.

I’m not sure what he wanted to do on the Price thing. His numbers wouldn’t have been as high so he probably wouldn’t cost as much, but I don’t know if Wys would have kept him.

I also know that we would not have Posey (because Wys never heard of him so he must be bad) or Adams. I don’t think he was in favor of signing Spikes for the money that we did. So we probably wouldn’t have him. But we would have Haynes!

Plus Henry would have been traded or cut. Mind you he never had the 1400 yard season because Wys wouldn’t have played him. So we’re not talking about a first rounder for a trade. At the same time, Bryson coming off his “1400 yard season” would have been a FA and would have demanded a BIG contract. Just some thoughts. Feel free to add to them.

Ebenezer
05-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Patrick you supporting Wys...under your theory we go 9-7 and probably win the division...

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-22-2003, 11:59 AM

Travis Brown :lol:

LtBillsFan66
05-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Enough with hypotheticals already!

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Just think if Wys was our GM, we would have a combination of Travis Brown/Chris Chandler, and Shawn Bryson.

I don't think we'd be striking any fear in the AFCE or NFL anytime soon.

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 12:01 PM
No I'm just giving you what Wys is thinking. We totally make the right move. Haynes over Bledsoe. PA LEASE

THATHURMANATOR
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

:eek:

JUST JOKING OF COURSE

DREW ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

WYS(talking about Bledsoe) :fartdie: THATHURMANATOR

WG
05-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Let's just hope that Drew doesn't play this year like he played last.

You just can't have a QB who's entire rep is built around his best 5 games each year against the scrubbiest of competition. Again, if he plays like he did last year will you be happy? I won't! I'm expecting far greater efficiency out of him this year now that he's settled for a year than he had last.

The Spaz
05-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Alright who's the ass clown who voted for Haynes? Wys is that you you sill man!:) This thread is absolutely terrible like most of Wys's threads who talk about take out this guy or add this guy, what if this guy. This is complete garbage. Go Bills!

SoCalBillsFan
05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
no one's opinion is garbage, show a little class.

that being said, wys, bledsoe doesn't have to be a probowler. He provides more than stats-leadershi, STABILITY at QB (something we didn't have for 5 years) and a rocket arm who can get the job done. He isn't gonna have a great game every time, like any QB. The great thing is we can build a team in which he doesn't have to win games for us like last year. He won't be required to do it all through the passing game, which will help him, and the defensive improvement hopefully means we will be in less shootouts. Drew is more than enough at QB.

Judge
05-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Hmm.. A pro bowl quarterback who put asses in the seats, or an unproven rookie DE who came from a school that is notorious for NFL busts.. Hmm.. thats a tough one..

Exactly. When I voted it was 11-1 for Bledsoe. I wonder who was the one person who voted for Haynes?

By the way- did anyone see that QB Wys was touting (Bertovich or something like that) play in NFLE last week? Great fumble for a safety to start the game. Yeah, he's a future NFL starter!

THATHURMANATOR
05-22-2003, 12:48 PM

You just can't have a QB who's entire rep is built around his best 5 games each year against the scrubbiest of competition. Again, if he plays like he did last year will you be happy? I won't! I'm expecting far greater efficiency out of him this year now that he's settled for a year than he had last.

I want everyone to play better!

Lets just leave it at that!

The Spaz
05-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
no one's opinion is garbage, show a little class.

that being said, wys, bledsoe doesn't have to be a probowler. He provides more than stats-leadershi, STABILITY at QB (something we didn't have for 5 years) and a rocket arm who can get the job done. He isn't gonna have a great game every time, like any QB. The great thing is we can build a team in which he doesn't have to win games for us like last year. He won't be required to do it all through the passing game, which will help him, and the defensive improvement hopefully means we will be in less shootouts. Drew is more than enough at QB.

Drew Bledsoe doesn't have to be a Probowler but he is.

Aslso I didn't say Wys's opinions was garbage I said the thread was garbage. Go Bills!

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Wys, ask us again after Drew plays his second year with the bills. As far as I'm concerned, jury is still out on Drew but I still loved that TD move for Drew so far.

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm still waiting for Eb's question to be answered.

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 01:25 PM
I believe he answered that before with Jeff Blake. ???

TedMock
05-22-2003, 01:25 PM
It's funny you picked Haynes. He was actually the one DE I didn't want. I think he's overrated. I think he'll have a career in the NFL but nothing more than a solid "other" end. I know statistically he was good in college but he had nice talent around him and stats in college are meaningless. Some of the other DE's would get me thinking. I'd probably say Bledsoe anyway but I'd have thought about it. I do agree that Bledsoe played poorly against good D's often but he did win a few for us last year to. I know that they were against lesser D's but there are many QB's who would've lost those close games. I think throwing the ball 40 times a game wears on you physically and mentally. This still isn't an excuse for a professional and I'm not making any for him. If he proves to suck then I'll be the first in line to get him out of here. I'm just of the belief right now that nobody could've made us better than 8-8 and most QB's would've made us worse. I do think Drew's a little overrated but I also think he's pretty good.

Rude American
05-22-2003, 01:56 PM
You just never give up, do you Wys.

Let's take a kid over a probowler.

what a joke.

Rude American
05-22-2003, 02:19 PM
look at that... as of right now, 16-1 in favor of Bledsoe.

Good call, Wys. Good call.

Earthquake Enyart
05-22-2003, 02:45 PM
And I don't think the dozer family has checked in yet.

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 02:45 PM
If I was up there, they'd be in.

Nighthawk
05-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey, look...another negative post by Wys! I'm sensing a trend...yawn!

Billz_fan
05-23-2003, 10:58 PM
If we didn't have Bledsoe our pick would have been in the top 5 of the draft.

You seriously think AVP would have led us to 8-8 ?

don137
05-24-2003, 05:40 AM
You have to look at the big picture here. The trade for Bledsoe had a domino effect. If Buffalo did not trade for Bledsoe Price would not of had nearly as good of a year abd the Bills would of NEVER received a first round pick for him (whick I think is what Dozer stated). As a result we would of never drafted McGhee and we would of had a top 7 pick which means we would of drafetd Leftwich, theortically. The big effect which I think is also lost out in the trade of Bledsoe is that Buffalo was a lot more attractive and marketable for free agents this past year. Don't think Spikes and Adams didn't realize this. Remember Adams had a better offer from Cincy and refused it because he wanted the Bills because they are turning it around. I am not sure we would of signed either one of them had Buffalo had another bad season. Look at teams like Arizona and Minnesota. Players realized they were not going anywhere with a team like them and they could only sign tier 2 free agents. Only marketable teams signed tier one free agents and we got IMO the best FA available (Spikes).

In addition, Buffalo is hoping to run more this year. Last year they passed to set up the run. This year they are planning on running to set up the pass.

G. Host
05-24-2003, 11:31 AM

I agree on Bledsoe's rep. He can pick apart bad defenses but when it comes to serious heat he sometimes folds. This was a concern of mine before he came to Buffalo - his inability to find hot read, his overthrowing of short passes (he would be an absolute bust in WCO). Ben Coates saved him a.number of times because Ben could make those passes which Drew overthrew His throws also ge, bt erratic when he needs to throw a lot. His accuracy goes down on long balls when he has to make a lot of those throws.

However some of what Bledsoe seemed to have problems with could have something to do with the frequent changes in personel in New England. This year his line, OC, RB and primary WR have remained the same. JR never became a favorite target for Bledsoe so his loss is not big IMO in terms of Bledsoe's game. Loss of Peerless is bigger because Drew tries for home run too often and I think loss of Peerless will make him more conservative which is a good thing.

If Bledsoe doesn't perform well this year and new #1 QB needs to be a priority.:madcloud:

Dozerdog
05-24-2003, 11:42 AM
The only time Bledsoe had a decent line, Decent RB, and decent OC was his Super Bowl vs the Pack. The Pats were very compeditive until the Desmond Howard kick return for a TD.

Getting saddled with Pete Carroll, losing Curtis Martin, then having his line deteriorate and still he was able to put up some monster numbers. Now he's got a complete team around him. Let's see what he can do.

wbat27
05-24-2003, 11:43 AM
I think Bledsoe by a landslide. Not only is he a leader he is a top QB. 40 tosses a game their is going to be bad throws. And haynes I think we got a player who is just as good if not better in kelsey.

DraftBoy
05-24-2003, 11:55 AM
I was completely against the Bledsoe trade last year with the idea of him folding under the pressure and while he has done that hear some he has also become a Qb reborn. He has gone from a fading Qb in NE to a pro bowler here in Buffalo. He is a team leader and a good guy in the community. No denying what he brings to this team.

The_Philster
05-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The only time Bledsoe had a decent line, Decent RB, and decent OC was his Super Bowl vs the Pack. The Pats were very compeditive until the Desmond Howard kick return for a TD.

Getting saddled with Pete Carroll, losing Curtis Martin, then having his line deteriorate and still he was able to put up some monster numbers. Now he's got a complete team around him. Let's see what he can do.

:10: