PDA

View Full Version : The Zone's Thoughts on the last Game/PS so far

ServoBillieves
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Been watching film, trying to analyze situations and who is doing what, gettin ready for my columns for the regular season.

From the Pack game:

Ellison actually looked pretty good, following assignments, blankets pretty well, even got his nose dirty in the run game.
The Poppinga INT was just an exceptional play by the defense. No one to blame other than possibly Trent for throwing not where he could've on the dot. Great defensive play
Trent needs to be more consistent in whether to take the sack or get rid of the ball. Both were tested frequently with the pressure the Pack brought.
Kawika got eaten alive on Ryan Grant's TD run, last year he showed he could beat those blocks. Hopefully a preseason jitter.
Denney isn't the backup he used to be, he needs to get up to par or get off the squad.
Stupar is worth keeping around, should make the TE battle interesting. Nelson is staying, turns in to a 3 man whitey battle (in the least racist way possible :-P) Schouman is adequate, Fine has been a ghost, but Stupar has stuck his neck out so far. Don't be suprised with a suprise cut at this position.
Bruce Hall is gone. Nuff said, if that's a shocker.
Xavier and Dominic look fairly similar. I wouldn't be shocked if Xavier overtook Rhodes #2 spot for the opening 3 games.

Rest of the preseason...
Levitre needs a couple looks from the O-line coach to see if he's ready for full time play.
Wood looks pretty good, holding his own on single coverage, may have missed a couple of assignments, rookie shrug but needs to get done.
Hangartner either blows people off the ball or gets beat badly.
Bowen has been pretty quiet, much different from the camp last year and this years camp where he seemed competent.
The no-huddle will prove me wrong if we score a touchdown against Pittsburgh.
Wish I could've seen DiGi in the middle. Palmer, Bowen, Harris, and Thomas all have a tough battle to be on the roster. Palmer proved he was worth it beforehand, but if his injury sustains, it's a quiet wave away.

Maybin-missing may pull a Russell-type experience for his first year. If Perrry gets smart and implements the 3-4 a couple of times, putting Johnson/Williams/Stroud on the line, with Maybin, Poz, Thomas, Mitchell as the 4 LB's, it gives us the speed to match Brown/Thomas/whoever the hell the Pats put in the backfield to block. Should be interesting, if he doesn't get up to par, then it'll be an implementation issue for at least this year and next.

Speaking of Spencer, he's getting good penetration and his lateral/peripheral movement has impressed me so far. Kyle Williams may be in a #2 battle with Spencer.
CB's aren't looking stellar except for the backups, I believe that Langster will make the squad, yet I see nothing out of Wendling. Harris (DB) has shown little. Reggie, when he gets his hands on the ball is a playmaker, but has to get consistent.

Agree, disagree, thoughts, et cetera.