PDA

View Full Version : Akili will be Bengal, as far as he knows

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Reality is pretty clear to Akili Smith these days. He understands the chances of him becoming the unquestioned No. 1 quarterback of the future for the Bengals lie somewhere between slim and none. Especially with the team digging into its wallet to pay a $1 million bonus to starter Jon Kitna and then spending the top choice in last month's draft on Carson Palmer.
But as far as Smith knows, he will be a Bengal for at least this upcoming season. He has heard nothing from head coach Marvin Lewis that would lead him to feel differently.

"As of now, everything (Lewis) has told me and my agent is that I'm No. 2 and I'm going to be here," said Smith, the team's No. 1 draft choice in 1999. "If something like that is to happen, I would hope he would sit me down like a man and tell me eye-to-eye the situation, who made the call and then we'd go from there."

A recent report speculated that Smith could become a salary cap casualty after June 1. That's the magical date in the NFL calendar that allows teams to defray hits to their salary cap from just one year to over a two-year span.

http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2003/beng05-22-2003.html