PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially pessismistic

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I was on the fence for a while. I went from being an optimist (not a homer!) a few years ago, to adopting a more wait and see albeit realistic approach the last few years. Now after the seeing a horrible FA period (TO, that's it), a draft that may or may not pan out (if it does, NOT this year it's pretty clear), followed by 2 mediocre at best PS games, and then followed by an utterly embarrassing PS showing, I have absolutely ZERO faith that the Bills will win even 7 games.

It's not even on paper that the talent is worse than last year. It's true. This team is not as talented as last year. And we have the same coaching staff, which is a proven liability.

I think this team wins 3 games.

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Don't forget our TOTALLY unremarkable drafts for the last 5 years or so.:ill:

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I'll go one step further. The entire season will depend on the performance of 2 players. TO and Maybin. If they don't make a difference, then 3 wins here we come.

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 12:12 PM
And good bye TO.:ill:

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Don't forget our TOTALLY unremarkable drafts for the last 5 years or so.:ill:

Well yeah. I'm just looking from the end of last season forward.

Michael82
08-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I'll go one step further. The entire season will depend on the performance of 2 players. TO and Maybin. If they don't make a difference, then 3 wins here we come.
You forgot one more big player that the season counts on.... Trent Edwards! If he doesn't get his head out of his ass and start going down the field and trusting his WRs and OL...we are ****ed.

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
You forgot one more big player that the season counts on.... Trent Edwards! If he doesn't get his head out of his ass and start going down the field and trusting his WRs and OL...we are ****ed.
Check down, check down, check down. You can't turn a poodle into a PitBull...it is what it is.

DraftBoy
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Is it wrong to be excited for next offseason when Dick, and Brandon are all gone and we get a new GM and new HC??

justasportsfan
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Check down, check down, check down. You can't turn a poodle into a PitBull...it is what it is.

Rob Johnson part deux.

Too bad, I think Trent is really coachable with the right coaches but our coaches are very limited as far as football is concerned especially when facing the coaches of the AFCE.

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 12:21 PM

True. I kind of have the team as is as a given. We have what we have. The only chance that there will be any difference is if TO and Aaron perform miracles.

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't even remember the last time I saw a Schoebel sack.:dizzy:

DMBcrew36
08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Don't forget the offensive-line has shown it can open ZERO holes for Marshawn/Freddy. Whatever few yards they get they will have to grind for. It's pathetic when you watch an offensive-line like that on the New York Giants, and then watch ours. It's like night and day.

The Bills o-line couldn't open holes last year and they're even worse this year. I didn't think the teams run blocking could get any worse, but it is.

ddaryl
08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Is it wrong to be excited for next offseason when Dick, and Brandon are all gone and we get a new GM and new HC??

does anyone believe ralph would eat jaurons contract ?

DraftBoy
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Without a doubt.

Michael82
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
yup, but it will only be a losing season that would do it.

Historian
08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Don't forget we play a real schedule and our star halfback is suspended for the first three games.

6-10

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't forget we play a real schedule and our star halfback is suspended for the first three games.

6-10
Eternal optimism.:D

elltrain22
08-24-2009, 12:39 PM

At this point, that is the only thing I think we have to be excited about. We need to clean house next year if we hit the skids. New HC, new OC, new DC, def' new GM, actually fire em all coaches & front office. The only one that should stay, and I hope does stay, is Bobby April.

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM

6-10

:homer:

Dr. Pepper
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Shanahan? Cowher? :dance3:

mchurchfie
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Shanahan? Cowher? :dance3:
Winning the Lotto, walking on water, flying, Sabres winning the Cup.......

trapezeus
08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
i was originally a 3-13 guy during most of this offseason. Then i wrote my preseason article and went game by game and came out with 5-11. Ewwww. 5-11 not bad enough to put you in the top 5 pick but again in the top 12. So we'll see.

It really is going to take a miracle for this year to not be a complete and utter mess.

mysticsoto
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Is it too early to start posting 2010 mock drafts???

Dying_-2-_Live
08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Everyone blames our troubles on Edwards, Jauron, Ralph... ECT.... Its been there faults for 10 years?

Mahdi
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Disagree. TO will be TO if TE can get him the football beyond 5 yards.

The two most crucial players to our success are Trent and Aaron Schobel.

Typ0
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Considing who is doing the hiring it's going to be just a different face on the same crap next time around.

Typ0
08-24-2009, 02:53 PM

He fired Fade and never paid him...

jdbillsfan
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM

I haven't lost faith in Trent yet. Schobel is a different story.... I am not expecting much from him this year.

Dying_-2-_Live
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys... Now i feel slightly depressed :(

Mahdi
08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I haven't lost faith in Trent yet. Schobel is a different story.... I am not expecting much from him this year.
Dont get me wrong, I still believe Trent can be good, but I saw the same problems on Saturday that he had against 3-4 teams last year. That is worrying.

Schobel will have to be at his best for this defense to be solid. Unless Ellis and Bryan can play like they have this pre-season all year, the defense will struggle. Maybin coming in and being a factor would be a huge bonus.

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM

I hear you. My thought is we see what we're going to get from Trent and Schobel, which isn't much. The difference makers aren't on the field yet.

gil
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

Having expectations that this team will be successful with the current cast of characters from the top on down to Edwards, might literally qualify as being insane.

I should know, I believed the last couple of years - now, not at all.

RLand
08-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

Having expectations that this team will be successful with the current cast of characters from the top on down to Edwards, might literally qualify as being insane.

I should know, I believed the last couple of years - now, not at all.

That all depends on what you've been believing in... If you believe, year in and year out, that your team will win the Super Bowl, you will be very disappointed 99.9% of the time. If you believe your team will be better than last season, even by only 1 game, then you have a much better chance of staying "sane".

baalworship
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I am pretty down on most elements of the Bills.

I would replace: Dick Jauron with a coach that can coach. My choice would be Gruden. The dude kicks butt and can draw up X and O's with the best of them. Just don't let Gruden have final say on personnel.

Replace Trent Edwards with a combination of solid veteran (Like a Garcia) and a high draft pick. Preferably someone in the first round that we can develop.

Replace John Guy. We suck at free agency.

Retain Modrak and put him in ultimate control of football operations. I actually think that since Levy left Modrak has had the most power and I really like our last 2 drafts.

Name Russ Brandon as VP of Sales and Marketing and stop pretending he is running anything related to football. He is good at marketing let him do that only.

billsfanone
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
F Modrak. The entire organization must be overhauled. Except the non-football related staff. I must say I had very good experiences with their store and ticket office.

billser
08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, you guys are depressing. Im going to give the season at least 4 games before I lose hope, it's just not fun giving up this early on.

Looking at it in a different light, maybe Maybin can be productive. I think that alone will make our D MUCCHH better. Also, at least our O Lineman are young. Maybe they will learn and get better as time goes by. TO should def help too.

I don't think we are completely hopeless as we do have talent in some spots. Also, I think we have GREAT playmakers (TO, Mckelvin, Roscoe, Evans, etc.)

I do realize we have our shortcomings (bad coaching, bad O line, etc.) but I choose to believe we can improve given that THE SEASON HASNT ALREADY STARTED!!!

DraftBoy
08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Is it too early to start posting 2010 mock drafts???

Don't tempt me, Ill post one tonight if I thought it would get the horrible image out of my head of what I watched yesterday.

Buffalogic
08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow you guys. 9 years of no playoffs has really gotten to you.

The checkdown, checkdown, checkdown thing makes me laugh because Trent will be told to give the ball to T.O. and Evans. He will force a lot of balls to T.O.

Just quit hitting that big red panic button

TacklingDummy
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't even remember the last time I saw a Schoebel sack.:dizzy:

When's the last time a QB tripped over him laying on the ground?

TacklingDummy
08-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Don't tempt me, Ill post one tonight if I thought it would get the horrible image out of my head of what I watched yesterday.

Most of them have the Bills picking in the top 10.

11 Bills Trent Williams OT Oklahoma

7. Buffalo Bills: Jevan Snead, QB, Ole Miss
If the Bills are drafting in the top 10 of the 2010 NFL Draft, I'm willing to bet that Dick Jauron and his staff are no longer with the organization.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, so Buffalo's new front office will be looking to land "its guy."

7. TE Jermain Gresham, OKlahoma This is high for a tight end, but Gresham is something special.
Gresham (6' 6" 265 lbs) should have a big senior year at Oklahoma.

Buffalo Bills Buffalo Rico McCoy OLB 6'1" 218 Tennessee

Russell Okung
Ht/Wt: 6-5/300 lbs
Position:OT
Drafted From:Oklahoma State
Class:Senior

10 Bills Russell Okung OT OK State Langston Walker at LT won't pan out

7. Buffalo Bills: DT Terrance Cody, Alabama- Would be one of the biggest men in football (356lbs) from the moment he gets drafted.

11. Bills: Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Mizzou

The Bills are still working on solidifying their LB’s Crew so I have them boosting them here in my 2010 NFL mock Draft.

5. Buffalo Bills- Jevan Snead, QB Ole Miss
If the Bills are picking this high I think its safe to say, Trent Edwards didn’t work out, and Dick Jauron is gone. So with a new head coach the Bills will probably be looking for a fresh start. The best place to start is by adding a quarterback. Jevan Snead should definitely be an upgrade over Trent Edwards.

DynaPaul
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I think we'll get 7 wins again but that's about it. I wanna Billieve but the pieces aren't here yet. Until we get solid lines on both sides of the ball we're toast and we're gonna put a young QB to the flames.

gil
08-25-2009, 07:16 AM
I think we'll get 7 wins again but that's about it. I wanna Billieve but the pieces aren't here yet. Until we get solid lines on both sides of the ball we're toast and we're gonna put a young QB to the flames.

I think I would literally be sick if they went 7-9 again - I would almost rather have the whole thing come crashing down to 4-12 so we could actually rebuild rather than this half-hearted spackle and patch approach they've taken.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
I was on the fence for a while. I went from being an optimist (not a homer!) a few years ago, to adopting a more wait and see albeit realistic approach the last few years. Now after the seeing a horrible FA period (TO, that's it), a draft that may or may not pan out (if it does, NOT this year it's pretty clear), followed by 2 mediocre at best PS games, and then followed by an utterly embarrassing PS showing, I have absolutely ZERO faith that the Bills will win even 7 games.

It's not even on paper that the talent is worse than last year. It's true. This team is not as talented as last year. And we have the same coaching staff, which is a proven liability.

I think this team wins 3 games.
While I share most of your views, I think we actually have more talent than last year, and more depth at several positions. It's just that our talent is young and unproven, but I honestly think guys like Han. at C, the 2 new guards, plus Maybin, Byrd, Nelson and Harris are - or will be - better than what we had at their positions. But some of the rooks may not be ready, and as you point out, we still have the same coaching staff. That's our biggest weakness.

mybills
08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
I keep hoping that they're just being conservative in the PS, and that they don't want to show all their cards yet.

:pray:

Michael82
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I keep hoping that they're just being conservative in the PS, and that they don't want to show all their cards yet.

:pray:
I'm hoping for the same thing! :pray:

billsfanone
08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
While I share most of your views, I think we actually have more talent than last year, and more depth at several positions. It's just that our talent is young and unproven, but I honestly think guys like Han. at C, the 2 new guards, plus Maybin, Byrd, Nelson and Harris are - or will be - better than what we had at their positions. But some of the rooks may not be ready, and as you point out, we still have the same coaching staff. That's our biggest weakness.

More talent, where? Depth means nothing. The 22 guys starting is what matters.

WR - Owens Upgrade
OL - Wood and Levitre (downgrade) I don't mean that they will never amount to an upgrade, but they are rookies.
QB - Same
RB - Same but Lynch out first 3 games
TE - Same

DE - Same
LB - Same
CB - Maybe a minor upgrade with McKelvin over Greer, but it remains to be seen
Ss - Same

To sum it up. Upgrade at WR. Downgrade at OL. Pretty much the same everywhere else.

And oh yeah, Jauron is the coach.

Typ0
08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
What I want to know is with some absolutely glaring holes why are we going to be cutting good WRs, RBs and CB?

Mr. Pink
08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
bf1, it's not pessimism, it's realism.

This is clearly not a very talented football team and hasn't been in a long time.

Jan Reimers
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
More talent, where? Depth means nothing. The 22 guys starting is what matters.

WR - Owens Upgrade
OL - Wood and Levitre (downgrade) I don't mean that they will never amount to an upgrade, but they are rookies.
QB - Same
RB - Same but Lynch out first 3 games
TE - Same

DE - Same
LB - Same
CB - Maybe a minor upgrade with McKelvin over Greer, but it remains to be seen
Ss - Same

To sum it up. Upgrade at WR. Downgrade at OL. Pretty much the same everywhere else.

And oh yeah, Jauron is the coach.
A couple of observations: I'm a firm believer that young players get better. And we have a young team. A few examples: Ellis this year will be better than last, as will Poz, McKelvin, Corner, Steve Johnson and Fine. Players coming back from injury make a difference. A few examples: McCargo, Schobel and (possibly) Youboty. So while the names are the same, the talent level should be better.

And I don't discount rookies or depth. Players get hurt, so depth IS important. As far as rookies, I think tough, smart, hardworking guys like Wood and Livitre (plus Han at center) will be better than slugs like Dockery and Fowler/Preston. Also, even if they're just situational players, Maybin, Nelson and Byrd give us some skills we haven't had in recent years. And Harris is better than Ellison, although he's still learning.

I believe we're more talented than last season, but that coaching will ultimately hold us back.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
There is some truth to that Jan, no doubt, but that formula can't apply. If it is indeed cut and dry like that, then every single player in the league gets better each year. So while the young Bills got better, well so did the Fins, Pats, Jets, etc. So it's a push.

But in reality, it's all "ifs ands and buts."

Sure if the planets all align, the Bills can be good. Given what we've seen the last 3 years (and the last 10) there is really no reason for me to think this team can improve. Unless TO and Maybin turn out to be absolute miracles.

I really hate to be a pessimist. I really do.

Jan Reimers
08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
There is some truth to that Jan, no doubt, but that formula can't apply. If it is indeed cut and dry like that, then every single player in the league gets better each year. So while the young Bills got better, well so did the Fins, Pats, Jets, etc. So it's a push.

But in reality, it's all "ifs ands and buts."

Sure if the planets all align, the Bills can be good. Given what we've seen the last 3 years (and the last 10) there is really no reason for me to think this team can improve. Unless TO and Maybin turn out to be absolute miracles.

I really hate to be a pessimist. I really do.
I generally agree, I'm just expressing my last vestiges of optimism. With regard to young players, players improve most in their first few years. So the younger the team is overall, the more it should improve. I'm assuming we're somewhat younger than our rivals, but I'm not completely sure.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 08:10 AM
I wish I had your outlook Jan!

DMBcrew36
08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
A couple of observations: I'm a firm believer that young players get better. And we have a young team. A few examples: Ellis this year will be better than last, as will Poz, McKelvin, Corner, Steve Johnson and Fine. Players coming back from injury make a difference. A few examples: McCargo, Schobel and (possibly) Youboty. So while the names are the same, the talent level should be better.

And I don't discount rookies or depth. Players get hurt, so depth IS important. As far as rookies, I think tough, smart, hardworking guys like Wood and Livitre (plus Han at center) will be better than slugs like Dockery and Fowler/Preston. Also, even if they're just situational players, Maybin, Nelson and Byrd give us some skills we haven't had in recent years. And Harris is better than Ellison, although he's still learning.

I believe we're more talented than last season, but that coaching will ultimately hold us back.

Every other team has players getting better too - and probably improving much more than ours because most other teams have better coaching.

Jan Reimers
08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Every other team has players getting better too - and probably improving much more than ours because most other teams have better coaching.
I'm assuming - but not sure - that we are younger overall than most teams, and therefore have more key players that will improve in their early years.

I think I remember that we were one of the youngest teams in the league last season.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm assuming - but not sure - that we are younger overall than most teams, and therefore have more key players that will improve in their early years.

I think I remember that we were one of the youngest teams in the league last season.

Then again, it might just mean we have more players that haven't fully been exposed as a bust yet.

DMBcrew36
08-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Then again, it might just mean we have more players that haven't fully been exposed as a bust yet.

We know one has -- whitnerrrrr

Coulda had ***** Ngata

Jan Reimers
08-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Is the glass half empty. . . or completely empty?
J/K, Typ0. You may be right. I'm just looking for any reason to be optimistic.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Is the glass half empty. . . or completely empty?
J/K, Typ0. You may be right. I'm just looking for any reason to be optimistic.

and you have to keep digging deeper through the horse **** every season...