PDA

View Full Version : Boy, did the Bills ever blow the 2006 draft

Mad Bomber
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Last night while I was watching the Jets-Ravens game, it really hit me just how much the Bills blew the 2006 draft.

I was watching two first-rounders in Haloti Ngata and Nick Mangold, and it reminded me of the fact that the Bills could have had them both.

At #8 we took Donte Whitner; Ngata went to Baltimore at #12. Who made the better choice?

We traded up to #26 to get John Freakin' McCargo; the Jets traded up to #29 to get Mangold. Who made the better choice? What has been one of the Bills weak links? Center.

No wonder this team has gone 7-9 three straight years.

cocamide
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw Ngata make that play. Of course, if we had drafted him, our coaches wouldn't have been able to get the most out of him, and he'd probably look like a bust. I honestly think that 95% of our problems are with the coaches and not the talent of the players we have.

DMBcrew36
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Ngata is such a beast. I know that he looks better because of everyone he has around him on that sick Ravens defense - but even on the Bills he would probably still be a force. Ughhhhhhhhh

gil
08-25-2009, 08:33 AM
As long as I live I will never understand the Whitner pick while Ngata was sitting there.

DMBcrew36
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
As long as I live I will never understand the Whitner pick while Ngata was sitting there.

Some of it is luck - you make picks that hit, you make others that disappoint or miss ... the Bills just always seem to miss :(

ddaryl
08-25-2009, 08:41 AM

you and everyone else. Especially 3 years later

the game is won and lost in the trenches, so lets go reach for a DB

EDS
08-25-2009, 08:43 AM

Amen brother.

ServoBillieves
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 my friends...

Ngata and Mangold are both beasts, but we gotta live with McCargo.

cocamide
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM

While this is true, I think everyone was looking forward to getting Ngata at the time, and most people thought we'd get him. At this point, hindsight is being used to help reinforce what we already knew back then.

billsfanone
08-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Some of it is luck - you make picks that hit, you make others that disappoint or miss ... the Bills just always seem to miss :(

Exactly. And it's highlighted by the fact that the Bills keep putting themselves behind the 8 ball. It's hard to crawl out.

k-oneputt
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
But, but, but, the Bills front office must know more than any fan. They are professionals at picking talent. It's what they do. You could have fooled me. These guys have sucked since Polian left.

Ebenezer
08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
because since 2001 they have tried to fit round push round pegs into square holes

k-oneputt
08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Exactly. And it's highlighted by the fact that the Bills keep putting themselves behind the 8 ball. It's hard to crawl out.

No it's not hard. You start by using some ****** common sense and build from the inside out inside of outside in like these morons have been doing. You use your premium picks on the biggest and baddest linemen you can find, and when your drafting where the Bills draft every year you have that opportunity. You stop drafting injured projects with your top picks. Mcgahee and McCargo. Draft some attitude instead of every damn choir boy you can find. I don't want the smartest Ivy league players, they suck, I want football players. I don't give a team what they score on a college test.

kelly2reed4six
08-25-2009, 09:26 AM
You reach a point when "we always seem to miss" turns into "our piss poor FO and coaches don't know how to properly use talent." You can't "miss" that many times! Sooner or later someone has got to be good.

SABURZFAN
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Last night while I was watching the Jets-Ravens game, it really hit me just how much the Bills blew the 2006 draft.

I was watching two first-rounders in Haloti Ngata and Nick Mangold, and it reminded me of the fact that the Bills could have had them both.

At #8 we took Donte Whitner; Ngata went to Baltimore at #12. Who made the better choice?

We traded up to #26 to get John Freakin' McCargo; the Jets traded up to #29 to get Mangold. Who made the better choice? What has been one of the Bills weak links? Center.

you had to open up an old wound, didn't you?

Philagape
08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I thought we were supposed to Trust in the Marv ... :sadwalk:

trapezeus
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
let's not forget we got the venerable Ko Simpson and Ashton "i rarely play" Youboty as well. we only hit on brad butler and kyle williams. And those weren't exactly hits as much as they were very good backs on most other teams.

Imagine if the 90 bills used Mike Lodish clones across the line.

bigbub2352
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I have been saying this since the 2006 draft whitner is a loser so is McCargo, then u can go farther Ko Simpson, ashton youboty god what are we doing
these guys are awful and they are still here
that makes our coaches and FO awful
bust after bust

bigbub2352
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought we were supposed to Trust in the Marv ... :sadwalk:
Marv was a colossaul flop as a GM he couldnt even sign Free Agents, that was yet another ploy to sell tickets he was that yrs TO
unreal bad decisions one after the other

justasportsfan
08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Even if we brought in Ngata or whoever, we'd make them mediocre because of our playcalling. It's not the players people, it's the coaching.

Mad Bomber
08-25-2009, 11:20 AM

When they announced that the Bills were trading up, I was excited.

When they announced the McCargo pick, I said "John WHO???"

GreedoII
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM

That overrated cheerleader Marv Levy set this team back another 10 yrs. He had no clue on what the hell he was doing. He didn't when he coached and didn't when he ran a franchise. The true architect was let go by the stupid senile owner. Bil Polian is who they miss and that's it. Marv had temenous talent and told his war stories and blew breath circles in the cold. The players motivated themselves and played the way they wanted which was part of the problem. Tired of people praising that fraud Levy. If anyone remembers he was ran out of town too.

Mad Bomber
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
No it's not hard. You start by using some ****** common sense and build from the inside out inside of outside in like these morons have been doing. You use your premium picks on the biggest and baddest linemen you can find, and when your drafting where the Bills draft every year you have that opportunity. You stop drafting injured projects with your top picks. Mcgahee and McCargo. Draft some attitude instead of every damn choir boy you can find. I don't want the smartest Ivy league players, they suck, I want football players. I don't give a team what they score on a college test.

Ouch. That opens another wound. The very next pick after we drafted the injured McGahee was DALLAS CLARK. TE wouldn't be the problem it has been since 2003 if we had drafted him.

Dumbass FO...

casdhf
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I still think the McGahee pick was the right pick--even now.

Ebenezer
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
I still think the McGahee pick was the right pick--even now.
incorrect.

gil
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Sorry, but I wanted Ngata at the time - we DESPERATELY needed an impact DT and he was getting rave reviews - the whitner pick didn't make any sense then nor does it now.

elltrain22
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw Ngata make that play. Of course, if we had drafted him, our coaches wouldn't have been able to get the most out of him, and he'd probably look like a bust. I honestly think that 95% of our problems are with the coaches and not the talent of the players we have.

I agree w/ that 100%. Jim Leonard, Justin Bannan, Mike Gandy have all done 100% better w/ there other teams, b/c there coaches use them correctly, and coach them up properly.

billsfanone
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
You reach a point when "we always seem to miss" turns into "our piss poor FO and coaches don't know how to properly use talent." You can't "miss" that many times! Sooner or later someone has got to be good.

Or both. I think it's both. Terrible personnel moves and terrible coaching.

ServoBillieves
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I wanted Ngata too, when they picked Whitner I had no clue what the hell the FO was doing.

Mad Bomber
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I wanted Ngata too, when they picked Whitner I had no clue what the hell the FO was doing.
Neither did they.

bigbub2352
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
FO and drafting is the real reason we have sucked for 9 yrs hence when RW decided to promote form within and keep the guys in ROn Guy who ****ed up mostly all his FA signings and Modrak who has missed way more that he hit set us back even further
what a joke

trapezeus
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
i'd take dallas clarke over mcgahee. That was when everyone was screaming that bledsoe needed a TE like Ben Coates. We never got him that guy. I'm not sure Bledsoe would have been much better, but perhaps in JP's early goings he'd have had a security blanket that caught everything underneath no matter how poorly JP throws the 5-15 yard pass.

jamze132
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
because since 2001 they have tried to fit round push round pegs into square holes
If you reverse that saying, you could say that Dick Jauron is a square and they have jammed him up our round kiesters for 3 years and counting...

Lexwhat
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Even if we brought in Ngata or whoever, we'd make them mediocre because of our playcalling. It's not the players people, it's the coaching.

I disagree. Ngata worked extremely hard to become the player he is today, and is also blessed with great physical skills.

If we drafted Ngata, even these ass-clown coaches couldn't hold a player like him back.

Night Train
08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I think my wife, who know little about football, would have picked Ngata after reading a draft magazine for 5 minutes.

How hard was that pick ?

Mr. Pink
08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
At the time of the 2006 draft I honestly thought we were moving up to select Mangold.

I know a few of us questioned the picks of that draft.

k-oneputt
08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I think my wife, who know little about football, would have picked Ngata after reading a draft magazine for 5 minutes.

How hard was that pick ?

Well that actually is one of their problems, thinking they are smarter than everyone else and thinking they are making a smart pick that nobody else would make.

YardRat
08-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting Op's "I told you so..." post.

SABURZFAN
08-25-2009, 08:56 PM
i remember some of the einstein's who thought Ngata was a reach at that pick back then too.

DMBcrew36
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
That overrated cheerleader Marv Levy set this team back another 10 yrs. He had no clue on what the hell he was doing. He didn't when he coached and didn't when he ran a franchise. The true architect was let go by the stupid senile owner. Bil Polian is who they miss and that's it. Marv had temenous talent and told his war stories and blew breath circles in the cold. The players motivated themselves and played the way they wanted which was part of the problem. Tired of people praising that fraud Levy. If anyone remembers he was ran out of town too.

I don't think he is as great as people think, nor do I think he was terrible. But you certainly may be somewhat right.

ddaryl
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM

actually that's not true. The majority here had Ngata way above Whitner, so it was nothing more then a WTF? moment for everyone.

naturally as Bills fans we went thru great lengths to justify it, but now 3 years later it was another very obvious blunder.

justasportsfan
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I disagree. Ngata worked extremely hard to become the player he is today, and is also blessed with great physical skills.

If we drafted Ngata, even these ass-clown coaches couldn't hold a player like him back.

Making Ngata play cover 2 would make him mediocre. Coaches put players in situations to succeed. They design plays and players have to perform based on what they are told to do. Just like when the pats took a nobody in Cassel and designed plays to make him succeed.

It's hard to believe that every player we've brought in simply sucks. Even Evans has now become mediocre because of our offensive playcalling.

Patti120
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

:puke:

Lexwhat
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Making Ngata play cover 2 would make him mediocre. Coaches put players in situations to succeed. They design plays and players have to perform based on what they are told to do. Just like when the pats took a nobody in Cassel and designed plays to make him succeed.

It's hard to believe that every player we've brought in simply sucks. Even Evans has now become mediocre because of our offensive playcalling.

-- Our Cover 2 would be pretty damn good if we could just get a pass rush. The Cover 2 isn't the common choice in today's NFL, but that doesn't mean it can't work.

-- Ngata: Yes, he may not be as good with us as he is with the Ravens, but he's still got some serious talent. He would be a dynamic force on this team, IMO. Similarly, just look at Marcus Stroud and how well he plays.

-- Offense: It would be Top 10 if we had a strong offensive line.

It's not hard to figure out what's really wrong with this team: O-Line, DEs pass-rushing ability, and Coaching Staff. This will be our downfall, and it's a shame Russ Brandon couldn't figure it out.