X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billser
    • Oct 2007

Importance of Maybin

I truly think Aaron Maybin can be a HUGE difference maker on this team. The D line is just horrendous. Having said that, I dont think the tackles are bad at all. Schobel is average and Kelsay is pure ****. If Maybin can step up and take Kelsay's spot, I think it completely opens things up. I think Schobel can be productive if teams dont focus on him so much. While it probably wont happen, its what you would expect from the 1st DE taken in the draft. Thoughts?
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Importance of Maybin

Yeah, he could be a huge factor. We have just been beaten into believeing it isn't going to happen. But, a #11 overall should be expected to contribute immediately. If he shows flashes, he may get Kelsey cut. Seriously, it shouldn't take much.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

The only thing about Maybin is he left college 2 years early and then followed that up by missing the enitre training camp.

He is under sized, and needs to bulk up. his speed is the only thing he has going for him at this point, and he is really only use to college speed.

now if by some miracle he turns out to be able to be one of those players that just seems to be able to play at whatever speed the game is playing around him then were in good shape.

however my money says we have at least a full year of painful growing pains... I do hope I am completely wrong on that though, because Maybin being effective is what we needed out of this draft, not a project
      Last edited by ddaryl; 08-25-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• cocamide
        • Oct 2006

Him providing a consistent pass rush would make our D way better. We have a fairly decent secondary, and with some pressure on the QB, they should get a lot of turnovers. We'll be in for another long season if Maybin doesn't pan out, because there's no way our other DEs are going to get any pressure.

Comment

• billsfanone
          Majored in Home Economics
          • Sep 2008

We don't even need him to get sacks per se. Just some disruption.

Are there stats for hurries and knockdowns out there? I would bet my life savings that we're ranked 30+ the last 2 years.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

I think it would be great for Maybin to step up, but I also think it's unrealistic given that he's been sitting on his couch and away from being in TC every day learning the playbook and absorbing all that he needs. There's only a few weeks left in the preseason and I just don't think he's going to be a factor that fast.

Comment

• kelly2reed4six
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ddaryl
              The only thing about Maybin is he left college 2 years early and then followed that up by missing the enitre training camp.
              I think in this circumstance this isn't as big of a concern....look how quickly he learned and excelled in one year as a starter at penn st. It makes me hope that he can learn and adapt quickly. Who's to say he won't do the same exact thing in the NFL? I personally can't wait to see him and really hope the coaching staff gives him an opportunity. Some guys just have raw talent....hopefully he's one of them

....and mysticsoto....i highly doubt maybin has been lazy during the time he missed camp. i guarantee he's been training everyday staying in shape.
              Last edited by kelly2reed4six; 08-25-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
                • Jun 2003

I think it's unrealistic for a 230-240 lbs DE to make any kind of difference in the NFL.

Comment

• billser
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jamze132
                  I think it's unrealistic for a 230-240 lbs DE to make any kind of difference in the NFL.

When I checked, it said he was 6 4, 252. I dont think thats SOOO much smaller than other DEs, assuming he can keep weight on and be effective. I think most normal sized DEs run at 260. He isnt lacking in height and length. It was noted at combine that he had long arms too. So its not like hes THHATT undersized.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

This can be said about all the rookies. Apparently, since a real down has yet to be played, we had a great draft. As long as all our rookies play at a pro bowl level this year we're all set. How realistic is that though? Has it ever happened?

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                      This can be said about all the rookies. Apparently, since a real down has yet to be played, we had a great draft. As long as all our rookies play at a pro bowl level this year we're all set. How realistic is that though? Has it ever happened?
                      You can't gauge our draft for at least another season or two. Yeah it looks good on paper but who knows what these guys are going to do in an actual game?

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

I still see him as a standup LB bringing the heat. I'm fine with that.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

would've been great this year if the sand was out of his vag, but he'll be a benchwarmer for at least the first 5 games.
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl

He is under sized, and needs to bulk up. his speed is the only thing he has going for him at this point, and he is really only use to college speed.

now if by some miracle he turns out to be able to be one of those players that just seems to be able to play at whatever speed the game is playing around him then were in good shape.

however my money says we have at least a full year of painful growing pains... I do hope I am completely wrong on that though, because Maybin being effective is what we needed out of this draft, not a project
                            This is how I feel. He's an unknown factor because of his youth and lack of experience....(we're not in the Big 10 anymore, Toto)...but he has the athletic ability to be a really good player.

Let's hope he is a quick learner.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I think people are dreaming if they Maybin will have any immediate effect on the D. If he got 3 sacks this year that would be alot.

Comment

Working...
                              X