PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Maybin

billser
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I truly think Aaron Maybin can be a HUGE difference maker on this team. The D line is just horrendous. Having said that, I dont think the tackles are bad at all. Schobel is average and Kelsay is pure ****. If Maybin can step up and take Kelsay's spot, I think it completely opens things up. I think Schobel can be productive if teams dont focus on him so much. While it probably wont happen, its what you would expect from the 1st DE taken in the draft. Thoughts?

yordad
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, he could be a huge factor. We have just been beaten into believeing it isn't going to happen. But, a #11 overall should be expected to contribute immediately. If he shows flashes, he may get Kelsey cut. Seriously, it shouldn't take much.

ddaryl
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
The only thing about Maybin is he left college 2 years early and then followed that up by missing the enitre training camp.

He is under sized, and needs to bulk up. his speed is the only thing he has going for him at this point, and he is really only use to college speed.

now if by some miracle he turns out to be able to be one of those players that just seems to be able to play at whatever speed the game is playing around him then were in good shape.

however my money says we have at least a full year of painful growing pains... I do hope I am completely wrong on that though, because Maybin being effective is what we needed out of this draft, not a project

cocamide
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Him providing a consistent pass rush would make our D way better. We have a fairly decent secondary, and with some pressure on the QB, they should get a lot of turnovers. We'll be in for another long season if Maybin doesn't pan out, because there's no way our other DEs are going to get any pressure.

billsfanone
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
We don't even need him to get sacks per se. Just some disruption.

Are there stats for hurries and knockdowns out there? I would bet my life savings that we're ranked 30+ the last 2 years.

mysticsoto
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I think it would be great for Maybin to step up, but I also think it's unrealistic given that he's been sitting on his couch and away from being in TC every day learning the playbook and absorbing all that he needs. There's only a few weeks left in the preseason and I just don't think he's going to be a factor that fast.

kelly2reed4six
08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
The only thing about Maybin is he left college 2 years early and then followed that up by missing the enitre training camp.
I think in this circumstance this isn't as big of a concern....look how quickly he learned and excelled in one year as a starter at penn st. It makes me hope that he can learn and adapt quickly. Who's to say he won't do the same exact thing in the NFL? I personally can't wait to see him and really hope the coaching staff gives him an opportunity. Some guys just have raw talent....hopefully he's one of them

....and mysticsoto....i highly doubt maybin has been lazy during the time he missed camp. i guarantee he's been training everyday staying in shape.

jamze132
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I think it's unrealistic for a 230-240 lbs DE to make any kind of difference in the NFL.

billser
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it's unrealistic for a 230-240 lbs DE to make any kind of difference in the NFL.

When I checked, it said he was 6 4, 252. I dont think thats SOOO much smaller than other DEs, assuming he can keep weight on and be effective. I think most normal sized DEs run at 260. He isnt lacking in height and length. It was noted at combine that he had long arms too. So its not like hes THHATT undersized.

Typ0
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
This can be said about all the rookies. Apparently, since a real down has yet to be played, we had a great draft. As long as all our rookies play at a pro bowl level this year we're all set. How realistic is that though? Has it ever happened?

jamze132
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
This can be said about all the rookies. Apparently, since a real down has yet to be played, we had a great draft. As long as all our rookies play at a pro bowl level this year we're all set. How realistic is that though? Has it ever happened?
You can't gauge our draft for at least another season or two. Yeah it looks good on paper but who knows what these guys are going to do in an actual game?

Night Train
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I still see him as a standup LB bringing the heat. I'm fine with that.

ServoBillieves
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
would've been great this year if the sand was out of his vag, but he'll be a benchwarmer for at least the first 5 games.

Mad Bomber
08-25-2009, 06:23 PM

He is under sized, and needs to bulk up. his speed is the only thing he has going for him at this point, and he is really only use to college speed.

now if by some miracle he turns out to be able to be one of those players that just seems to be able to play at whatever speed the game is playing around him then were in good shape.

however my money says we have at least a full year of painful growing pains... I do hope I am completely wrong on that though, because Maybin being effective is what we needed out of this draft, not a project

This is how I feel. He's an unknown factor because of his youth and lack of experience....(we're not in the Big 10 anymore, Toto)...but he has the athletic ability to be a really good player.

Let's hope he is a quick learner.

HHURRICANE
08-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I think people are dreaming if they Maybin will have any immediate effect on the D. If he got 3 sacks this year that would be alot.

Hemlepp53
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
I have said this 1000 times on this board. Maybins size is not a concern of mine at all. Plenty of undersized DE have been impact players. Size is not an issue... Strength is the issue. Everyone assumes that a smaller guy is a weaker guy... not true at all. I expect him to introduce Kelsay to the bench by week 4 - 5 this season. In regards to his conditioning, I have read various places he has been working out with Ray Lewis down here in South Florida and LaVar Arrington has been working with him as well. Maybin will be a MONSTER once fimilar with the program the Bills run.

OpIv37
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
When I checked, it said he was 6 4, 252. I dont think thats SOOO much smaller than other DEs, assuming he can keep weight on and be effective. I think most normal sized DEs run at 260. He isnt lacking in height and length. It was noted at combine that he had long arms too. So its not like hes THHATT undersized.

he's NEVER been 252. He has yet to break 240.

billser
08-25-2009, 07:26 PM
he's NEVER been 252. He has yet to break 240.

You may be right but the official bills website has him listed at 6 4, 250. A number of other sites do too. I dont know if youre calling into question whether hes ever been "listed" at that weight, or whether such listings are actually correct.

Typ0
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
You can't gauge our draft for at least another season or two. Yeah it looks good on paper but who knows what these guys are going to do in an actual game?

Why does it look good on paper?

OpIv37
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
You may be right but the official bills website has him listed at 6 4, 250. A number of other sites do too. I dont know if youre calling into question whether hes ever been "listed" at that weight, or whether such listings are actually correct.

I don't think the listings are correct. They always tend to exaggerate the players' size, particularly when there is a general perception that the player is undersized. Doug Flutie was always listed at 5'9". If that's true, then I'M 6'4 250.

The reports around the time of the draft were that Maybin was 225 earlier this year and bulked up to the high 230's. I highly doubt he added 12-15 MORE lbs during his holdout.

DMBcrew36
08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Even if Maybin showed up to ALL of training camp, I don't think he'd be doing a whole lot this year. The kid is too small. He's gonna get tossed around like a ragdoll b*tch.

yordad
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't think the listings are correct. They always tend to exaggerate the players' size, particularly when there is a general perception that the player is undersized. Doug Flutie was always listed at 5'9". If that's true, then I'M 6'4 250.

The reports around the time of the draft were that Maybin was 225 earlier this year and bulked up to the high 230's. I highly doubt he added 12-15 MORE lbs during his holdout.Maybin weighted exactly 249 lbs at the combine. Combine scales do not lie.

But I think Maybe should be paired with Harris and Poz as a WOLB. He can contribute there immediately. Harris and Poz can be the nickel LBs.

mysticsoto
08-26-2009, 01:18 AM
I think in this circumstance this isn't as big of a concern....look how quickly he learned and excelled in one year as a starter at penn st. It makes me hope that he can learn and adapt quickly. Who's to say he won't do the same exact thing in the NFL? I personally can't wait to see him and really hope the coaching staff gives him an opportunity. Some guys just have raw talent....hopefully he's one of them

....and mysticsoto....i highly doubt maybin has been lazy during the time he missed camp. i guarantee he's been training everyday staying in shape.

I didn't mean to make him sound lazy. Clearly he's in shape, but that's not enough to come in and be successful in the NFL. You need more. Chris Ellis was in shape when he came in...he was a non-entity until this year where he's finally starting to look better. It's just not that automatic to be able to come in to the NFL and contribute out of the blue. He has very short time and I'm sure a long way to go. I'm wishing him the best, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect alot...

jamze132
08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Why does it look good on paper?
It doesn't really, I misread your previous post.

psubills62
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM

The reports around the time of the draft were that Maybin was 225 earlier this year and bulked up to the high 230's. I highly doubt he added 12-15 MORE lbs during his holdout.

Or the combine has him listed at 249...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433

While I don't know if he's actually at that weight now, I do believe he's a decent amount heavier than 230 now. I saw him during the PSU season versus pictures/video of him in Bills camp now and he looks a good deal bigger.

psubills62
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Since I've made this argument several times to show that Maybin wasn't a one-year wonder, I should also point it out here. He was a starter for a year but he also contributed a decent amount in his redshirt freshman year. He had 4 sacks in a rotation that year (12 in his sophomore year as starter).

I do think Maybin is a fast learner, hard worker, and an athletic person. But I also am not sure he'll be in a position to contribute significantly to this defense. I do believe he'll have the opportunity, as I know the coaching staff wants to use him, I'm just not sure he'll be ready.