PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe in '03

WG
05-22-2003, 12:29 PM
If he plays just like he did all of last year this year but no better, will you be happy w/ Drew's level of play.

And we're talking about the offense and his play only. He'll have essentially the same team around him; same starting WR, RB and OL. Different TE whom he didn't use much anyway, and a different FB sometimes. Reed he's used to but now Reed'll be starting.

Judge
05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
If Travis Henry is as productive as everyone seems to think he will be (I have my doubts about him, but I'll assume he'll stop fumbling for the sake of discussion), then if Drew approaches last year's form this team will be the offensive team of the year in the NFL.

Bledsoe will be extremely dangerous with a truly viable power running game to take some of the pressure off of him- he was forced to carry the team with the long ball last year, and did awesome at it. Hopefully Travis can hold on to the ball, be a 20+ carry per game threat, and let Drew use the long ball attack more productively by the team not relying on it so much and using it correctly to complement the offense rather than as the main offensive weapon.

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 12:59 PM
I think Drew will be better this year (not nos. wise) after having a year under his belt with a new system and players. Add to the fact he won't be making bonehead plays trying to play catch up with other teams, because we have a bettter D this year.

I can't vote because I don't think he'll mirror himself to last years performance.

Earthquake Enyart
05-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Are the health inspectors in again today, wys?

Switch to decaf. :snicker:

Rude American
05-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Let's bring RJoke back.

The Spaz
05-22-2003, 02:08 PM
his is simple our Offense wasn't the problem it was our defense so if Drew equals what he did last year we will be fine! Go Bills!

WG
05-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Are the health inspectors in again today, wys?

Switch to decaf. :snicker:

LMAO EE!!

Things were just a tad bit slow...

BTW, look what the cat drug in as a result...

Hey Judge, Rude!!! ;)

Originally posted by justasportsfan
I think Drew will be better this year (not nos. wise) after having a year under his belt with a new system and players. Add to the fact he won't be making bonehead plays trying to play catch up with other teams, because we have a bettter D this year.

I can't vote because I don't think he'll mirror himself to last years performance.

Originally posted by The Spaz
his is simple our Offense wasn't the problem it was our defense so if Drew equals what he did last year we will be fine! Go Bills!

You guys think so, eh?

I don't. And I think that's a big part of the problem when folks look at Drew and his contributions. For one reason or more, there's a huge gap between reality and perceptions.

B/c last year he pitched 18 TOs in 7 games in which virtually no one else had any. If he does that again this year, then don't expect to go anywhere in the playoffs. You just can't do that against those caliber teams and expect to advance. Teams in the playoffs exploit those QBs and teams that perform like that lose in the playoffs.

Against playoff teams last season, and quite frankly, teams that didn't have particularly good defenses, Drew tossed 3 TDs to 9 INTs.

We just can't have that and expect to do anything in the postseason. He's gonna have to step it up a notch. Any QB can toss 11 TDs to 0 INTs against weak teams like Detroit, Cincy, Chicago, Minnesota, and Houston while going 13 TDs/15 INTs (18 total TOs) for the other 11 games. Heck, that's only an average of 2.25 TDs/game. Big deal when you consider the caliber of the competition.

I really don't think that Drew is the only QB option out there who couldn't toss at least as many TDs as INTs in the 11 other games combined. I don't think Brown would have much trouble putting up those kinds of numbers. Or Blake. Or Chandler or many other QBs around the league w/ the talent that we had on this team last year and the OL that we had. I just don't.

Apparently that's the difference here. My standards are a bit higher and expect some performance against the types of teams that we'd have to face in the playoffs and not just the scrubs.

But if that's the highest standard that you guys hold, hey, there's not much that I can do about it.

But to say that there aren't many other QBs out there or even on our bench who couldn't toss 13 TDs/15 INTs in 11 of our games not against horrendously weak teams and with the talent that we have on this team is to be naive.

LtBillsFan66
05-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Hell yeah I'll be happy! Well surely go to the playoffs if Drew plays the same and the D steps up!

WG
05-22-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't know what you're thinkin', but if Drew tosses 15 INTs in 7 games again against the best competition that we face, we'll be lucky to be 5-2 in those games. Lucky! Teams like that capitalize on errors like that.

Furthermore, Drew cannot even beat AFC East teams. Sure he was 2-4, but those 4 losses were largely his fault. N.E., after we were told how "well he knew their D" when in fact the opposite was true as Bellichick set a pattern for the league in how to beat us.

Drew did virtually nothing in one Fins game which was won courtesy of Henry and the D. Had they not pulled that one out of their arse w/ the Fins two starting WRs and their starting QB out for the first of a streak of games, then Drew would have been 1-5 w/ his only success having come in a near blinding blizzard against the Fins.

And this satisifies you, eh?!

Not me! I can tell ya that much. In our 6 divisional games, Drew put up 8 TDs/9 INTs when in fact the Jets and Pats Ds weren't anything special at all. 23rd/24th yardage, 14th/17th scoring.

Yet, other than that Miami game in the blizzard, Drew tossed 5 TDs to 9 INTs in the other 5 games.

And this you guys would be happy with, eh?

Yes, you are correct! I cannot fathom that!

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 03:01 PM
So what makes you think we will be no. 1 in the AFC if you feel this way about Drew?

WG
05-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Already answered in another parallel thread...

WG
05-22-2003, 03:16 PM
What about you?

Why does a QB who tosses ~ 1 TD/2 INTs in divisional games satisfy you when he plays even worse v. playoff caliber teams?

That's a LOT of games to duff each year!

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 03:47 PM
I reserve my judgement on Drew til' after this year. It was his first year under a new system. Granted that he stunk up the place in the 2nd half of the year, I wouldn't put the blame entirely on him. Gilbrides system started to become predictable.

As for Drew stinking up the place , he has also the capability to be the best qb when he is on his game. Rmember the 1st half of the season when you started threads saying he was on fire?

BillsFanInMass
05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
The bills had to throw in most of those games because they were behind and the other teams knew it. Quit doggin Drew this is who we got and if your a real Bills fan you will stand behind him. You ever watch Brett Favre he has games just as bad when his teams defense or special teams gets them in a whole and he is considered one of the best. In the games we are winning Drew doesnt make any mistakes this year with our revamped defense you will see more of that.

mybills
05-22-2003, 06:48 PM
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Drew will be the same old Drew.

He's an orgasm..
4 games...yes! 8 games...yes! <b>Done</b>. He's had the same pattern forever.

If I see him make it to game 10 with as much enthusiasm as he starts out with in game 1, I'll change my mind. I don't mean physical enthusiasm, I mean mentally.
:horse:

JayWood
05-22-2003, 07:15 PM
I think that Drew will be even more dangerouis this year than last. It all falls on the shoulders of Travis Henry. If this guy can hold on to the ball, and build upon what he started last year than the arm and long ball of Drew Bledsoe is going to be very dangerous. With a new FB, 2nd WR, different number 1 TE it will be intresting to see how it all comes together. The offense this year will be doing one thing.....RUN the Ball, RUN the ball, and oh yeh, RUN the ball. Then when you think another run is coming Drew hits them where it hurts, on the scoreboard, with a long pass to Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Aiken

WG
05-22-2003, 07:27 PM
IMO Drew will be fine if several things happen:

1. Gilbride needs to turn this into a far more balanced offense. The problem is that it was anything but balanced last year and even when the solution of running the ball was essentially slapping him upside the head, he still kept passing the ball in spite of failures in that department in leading us to wins.

2. Drew needs to accept a role that is far diminished from what it was last season. This may entail fewer attempts and possibly even yards than he's used to throwing for. I'm thinkin' in the 3,200-3,500 yard department.

3. We need to run Henry as the staple of our offense. Does that mean we do away w/ the passing game? Of course not! BUT, it does mean that we don't go deep every other throw. We'll need a much more balanced and spread out approach.

Unfortunately, Drew is not the best QB for the short passing game. He's got a great 20-yard out and a nice deep ball. But after that, his skills as a QB are limited. He's not mobile, he's not the best short passer. He's got a decent play-action fake.

So it really comes down to how Gilbride calls it and how Drew plays and reacts. In the proper role w/ proper game-calling, I can see Drew being far more efficient than he's ever been. Unfortunately I can also see Gilbride not doing what he needs to and Bledsoe either not liking the "new deal" or simply not being able to adapt.

I believe it was bondz, maybe another, who recently posted about a "mental block" that Drew has. I tend to agree. There's something there that simply doesn't allow him to have the type of field sense/vision that he needs at times when he is under the most pressure, usually at the hands of the better teams. Which is why he has struggled his whole career against divisional foes as well as against teams .500+.

So there is hope, but if there is any reason for me to doubt, it's more due to Gilbride than to Drew although Drew still has his work cut out for him and still needs to adapt to a new style if we are to be our best and he is to be his.

OpIv37
05-22-2003, 07:43 PM
When Bledsoe was in NE I always thought he was overrated. He's certainly not the best QB in the league, but he's far from the worst. Let's not forget that before him we had Todd Collins and Rob Johnson.

Wys is right about balance- rely on Henry more. Also, with the improved defense, Bledsoe won't need 300 yards a game for a victory- hopefully this will allow him to settle down and play better than he did at the end of last season

WG
05-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
The bills had to throw in most of those games because they were behind and the other teams knew it. Quit doggin Drew this is who we got and if your a real Bills fan you will stand behind him. You ever watch Brett Favre he has games just as bad when his teams defense or special teams gets them in a whole and he is considered one of the best. In the games we are winning Drew doesnt make any mistakes this year with our revamped defense you will see more of that.

Unfortunately that's a cliched non-truth and yet another in a long list of non-viable excuses for Drew BFIM.

Most of Drew's INTs were not while we were behind, and if so, not by much such as only by 3 or 4 in that Raider game that he tossed right to the rookie Buchanon who promptly returned it for a TD to put the Raiders up by 11. There was plenty of time left in that game and up until that point the two teams had essentially exchanged scores for the most part.

In fact, many of his INTs were while the Bills actually led!

Nighthawk
05-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Blah, blah, blah...the same old negativity from Wys...Calgon take me away!

BillsFanInMass
05-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Like i said Bledsoe is who we got lets stand behind him not make the matter worse by being negative.

colin
05-24-2003, 09:36 AM
If we get the ball in better position, and get more possesions, having Drew at the trigger will only be a good thing.

The only other team that had a good O and as bad of a D as us was KC, and they have been together for a couple years, had the best back in the NFL, and a phenominal experienced line, and a good special teams. Our line getting better and our D getting us the ball in better position is all we need.

WCoastFin
05-24-2003, 02:02 PM
I voted "yes", with the assumption that he'll choke alot sooner this time.....

Jan Reimers
05-24-2003, 03:39 PM
If Drew doesn't have to throw 50-60 times a game--and with a better D and a big time running attack he won't--he'll be much more effective. The blocking of Campbell/Moore and Gash will also help. So will a more experienced O line.

XNOUGHT
05-24-2003, 08:07 PM
i hope to see Drew do well since he used to play for my Pats.............but ther is something in his mind that cannot be explained. A mental flaw. You guys will understand what I am talking about after a couple of season with Drew.

WG
05-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
i hope to see Drew do well since he used to play for my Pats.............but ther is something in his mind that cannot be explained. A mental flaw. You guys will understand what I am talking about after a couple of season with Drew.

I fully understand what you're talking about right now X! I watched Drew avidly, out or morbid interest more than any sort of fandom clearly, in N.E., and I cannot agree more. I wanted to see how he responded last year w/ all the tools etc. that people said he didn't have in N.E. Well, given that, I would have expected more TDs on fewer yards than he got last year.

He lit up Minnesota (6-10; 30th D), Chicago (4-12; 25th D), and Miami in a blinding snowstorm, but after those three games against two of the scrubbiest teams in the league, he played worse than average tossing only 14 TDs to 15 INTs in the remaining 13 games and only 2 games where he had more than 1 TD w/o more INTs to accompany those TDs. Oh, BTW, we were 5-8 in those games!

Meanwhile, he had an O.C. that catered to his every whim. I think a lot of people were looking for KG's kneepads and checking his nose for "brown remnants." He had one of the best 1-2-3 WRing trios in the history of the game, a 1,400 yard RB, a very solid OL w/o any injuries. Yet, he played the way he did.

Many obviously will argue that he played well, but I'll argue that they are only looking at 4,300 yards and 600+ attempts w/o looking at actual TD production in 80+% of our games. I.e. ONLY an average of 1 TD/game.

He faded down the stretch when the best QBs shine!

If he plays again this season the way he played last, and the way he has consistently played throughout his career then we can expect something like this:

Vs. the East: 7 TDs to 11 INTs

Vs. Philly and Tennessee: 1 TD to 4 INTs

Vs. Cincy, Houston, Jax, and Dallas: 10 TDs to 2 INTs

Vs. Washington, the Giants, K.C., and Indy: 5 TDs to 3 INTs

If we make the playoffs, expect a 1 TD/3 INT performance out of him dependent upon who we play regardless of venue. I would assume that Miami, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and N.E. would be the likely PO teams.

I've said it before and I'll say it yet again, it's not Drew's plusses that really help us out witness his excellent performances against scrub teams last season. Rather, his very poor performances hurt us far more than anything positive he does helps us! That's why the 15 INTs vs. N.E. (2), Jets (2), Oak, K.C., and G.B. hurt us a lot more than 4,300 aggregate yards (w/o matching TD production) helped us.

It's a huge perception issue that is enigmatic!

I think much of it has to do w/ Drew's status as just a plain old really nice guy. People just don't like to put down someone as nice as he is. Unfortunately, it's not that niceness that's gonna help us!

WG
05-27-2003, 09:49 AM
BTW, I disagree. If Drew plays the way he did last year and we take this poll again at the end of the season, the results will be completely reversed. That kind of makes my point about the "perceptions" thing.

BillsMan80
05-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Wys, you've lost it if you think that Drew was the reason for all 4 AFC East losses. The first Jets game can be attributed to the Defense and the Special Teams. The 2nd Jets game was a horrible defensive effort and the offense was sluggish. The 1st Pats game was brutal, and the 2nd Pats game was bad too. The only game I can remotely think of blaming Drew for is the 2nd Pats game, but even then, we were down big before we could even blink an eye thanks to the defense.

BillsMan80
05-27-2003, 12:15 PM
WToast, people are expecting the Fins collapse more than a Drew collapse. You are hoping for a Drew collapse. We are waiting for the Fin collapse.

WG
05-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Wys, you've lost it if you think that Drew was the reason for all 4 AFC East losses. The first Jets game can be attributed to the Defense and the Special Teams. The 2nd Jets game was a horrible defensive effort and the offense was sluggish. The 1st Pats game was brutal, and the 2nd Pats game was bad too. The only game I can remotely think of blaming Drew for is the 2nd Pats game, but even then, we were down big before we could even blink an eye thanks to the defense.

"The first Jets game can be attributed to the Defense and the Special Teams."

And of course Drew's INT which was intercepted by Abraham and returned to our own 19-YL (while we were leading by 3) to put the Jets up by 4 had nothing to do w/ the loss, right?

"The 2nd Jets game was a horrible defensive effort and the offense was sluggish."

And of course, w/ the game tied at 3, Drew's two back-to-back INTs setting the Jets up at midfield for two TDs, i.e. 14 points, had nothing at all to do w/ that loss, right? 17-3 thanks to Drew! Nahhhh! Couldn't have. He's Drew!

"The 1st Pats game was brutal, and the 2nd Pats game was bad too. The only game I can remotely think of blaming Drew for is the 2nd Pats game, but even then, we were down big before we could even blink an eye thanks to the defense."

In the first game, trailing by only 10 points, of course this loss had absolutely nothing to do w/ Drew's inability to get into the endzone on back-to-back incompletions from N.E.'s 7 YL, right?

Other than that, I fully agree w/ you that this game was a debacle from top-to-bottom!

Game 2:

This loss had absolutely nothing to do with Bledsoe's INT to a DE setting up the Pats third score in the first Q at our own 9 YL. We were only trailing by 10 in the first. No reason to panic or be stupid, right. As well, there were 5 TOs in that game; 4 by Drew, one by Price. Of course Drew's 4 INTs had little to do w/ any of the loss though, right?

He set up the Pats' third TD. Got picked on the very next drive. Even then, the game was still early! On the following drive, the drive ended on 2 Drew INCs and a pass for a 6 yard loss. Then of course, later in the game, w/ the game still w/in reach, Drew tosses two back-to-back INTs on 1st-and-10.

None of those losses had much to do w/ Drew?

I dare say we have highly different expectations from our QBs.

doug45
05-27-2003, 02:04 PM
We did have more problems than Drew but he will have to play better this year. He must beat teams in our division like NEW ENGLAND. He did good last year and we had other areas that had problems but he will have to play better.

BillsMan80
05-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Oh but you can just throw out the 2 KR TDs given up by the Special Teams. Right...typical logic by yourself. Also, Drew was the one who rallied the team on the last drive. To blame that loss on Drew is impossible. That loss has to be blamed on the Special Teams. Hell they didn't just give up 1 KR TD, they gave up TWO!!!

The 2nd Jets game was a horrible team effort. Don't forget, with the score tied, Chris Watson committed a Roughing the Kicker Foul, which took a FG away, and then followed up with a Jets TD. Also, let's not forget Eddie Robinson's whiff on Chad Pennington, and we can even talk about how that first interception was Riemersma's fault as his ever reliable hands muffed the pass into an INT. So we want Drew to try and play STs, LB, TE, and coach. Makes a lot of sense. The 1st Pats game you can't blame on Drew simply because of the complete debacle, but the 2nd Pats Game I put some of the blame on him. The rest goes on the defense that couldn't stop anything till the end of the damn season.