PDA

View Full Version : WGR

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
When do they talk Buffalo sports? I'm listening now. They are talking about sandwiches. I think they switch over to ESPN at 10. I need my BILLS FIX!

lordofgun
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
It's so annoying. I was psyched when I found out I could get them on my blackberry, but their lack of Bills talk is annoying, and I don't even listen now.

Novacane
08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
I stopped listening to them a couple years ago. Every once in a while I'll turn it on and they have me pissed off within 10 minutes reminding me while I stopped listening. They are a joke imo. I am suprised Howard Simon would work with such losers. He was a good sports guy till he hooked up with a bunch of jokers.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Is there another good station?

Hopefully on Shoutcast too... :pray:

Coach Sal
08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
I will have an announcement very soon about some new live stuff I'm doing over the Internet....totally devoted to Bills talk! If everything goes well it will be a live, weekly show. I'm even toying with my own live post-game show for callers.

Hope you can listen and even join in the discussion.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
they talk about the Bills more than they are worth talking about.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 08:46 AM
they talk about the Bills more than they are worth talking about.

Perhaps. But talk about some sports, not sandwiches for crying out loud. Talk about the AFC East if there isn't much to talk about the Bills.

DMBcrew36
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
As soon as NFL regular season begins and the Sabres season begins, we won't have to listen to them blathering about sandwiches and other garbage like baseball.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Perhaps. But talk about some sports, not sandwiches for crying out loud. Talk about the AFC East if there isn't much to talk about the Bills.

They are talking about football right now. There is only so many times you can go over the same thing in a four hour show.

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
There isn't a lot going on in Buffalo sports and they talk about all kinds of stuff. Some of their stuff can be frustrating and sometimes I want to put my fist through the radio but they do talk a lot about the Bills and Sabres. How many conversations can you have about TO's toe, Trent Edwards check downs, and Dick Jauron being a terrible coach.

DMBcrew36
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
There isn't a lot going on in Buffalo sports and they talk about all kinds of stuff. Some of their stuff can be frustrating and sometimes I want to put my fist through the radio but they do talk a lot about the Bills and Sabres. How many conversations can you have about TO's toe, Trent Edwards check downs, and Dick Jauron being a terrible coach.

As soon as Sabres season starts they will definitely have more to talk about - especially with the Sabres getting Grier, McCormick, Montador and letting go of Peters. Also, the possible addition of Tyler Myers, Tim Kennedy, or Nathan Gerbe.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 09:21 AM

True. But speaking of check down, the formula should be:
Bills News and Opinions
AFCE News and Opinions
Rest of the NFL News and Opinions
Good sports stories.
Baseball news.
Other sports news.
Perhaps some national news.
When all of that is exhausted, you can talk about sandwiches. Or talk about sandwiches a little here and there without taking time away from anything else above.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
They do go off on rediculous tangents sometimes. I've written to them about it. But nothing is worse than when they talk about baseball.

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
True. But speaking of check down, the formula should be:
Bills News and Opinions
AFCE News and Opinions
Rest of the NFL News and Opinions
Good sports stories.
Baseball news.
Other sports news.
Perhaps some national news.
When all of that is exhausted, you can talk about sandwiches. Or talk about sandwiches a little here and there without taking time away from anything else above.

For the most part, they talk about what gets ratings. Some people listen just to ***** that they don't talk enough about sports. But they are rated near the top in all sports format radio stations. The morning show won't talk about regular sports stories much, or they will just mention in for a couple minutes unless it is a huge story. They WON'T talk about other teams much at all because the Buffalo market doesn't care about other teams, even teams in their own division. They don't talk much about baseball because there is no team in Buffalo, each personality likes a different team for the most part (Simon and White are Mets fans) and it is a Yankees market. They get pretty good ratings, so I don't think their format will change much. If you want a decent amount of Bills news, you will have to listen to the whole show, there really isn't any other option every day for an all Buffalo Bills news station.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
They are talking about sandwiches because there is only so many times you can bring up TO's toe in a four hour span before people get sick of it and stop listening. I don't blame them for changing it up once in a while. The same talk over and over and over again is the worst.

As for Simon, he is probably the biggest loser on that station. The guy doesn't even watch games and then acts like a damn expert all the time.

Michael82
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
As soon as NFL regular season begins and the Sabres season begins, we won't have to listen to them blathering about sandwiches and other garbage like baseball.
Nope, then all they will talk about is the Sabres and will totally ignore the Bills.... :ill:

tampabay25690
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Come on guys what about the BISONS???

Its the same in other cities here in TAMPA they have 2 stations 1 is just like WGR and 1 is ESPN radio out of TAMPA...

There is more talk about other teams then anythoing else of the ESPN station, he is not a TAMPA only guys which I really like....

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Nope, then all they will talk about is the Sabres and will totally ignore the Bills.... :ill:

No they won't. They will have Buffalo football Mondays and talk about the Bills plenty. But if they suck, there won't be much to talk about.

BAM
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I actually enjoy the show, then Cowherd afterwards. They all make me laugh. The sandwich thing made me hungry. There were some excellent ideas sent in.

DrGraves
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
they are so lame. they were talking about facebook pictures for a good half hour yesterday

Typ0
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I like the new format on the internet because they took off that blowhard Jim Rome and replay the Howard Simon show from that day.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
What time is howard simon on?

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM

They never totally ignore the Bills. The still have tons of Bills coverage and Bills interviews. Like said by someone else, Buffalo football Mondays is totally dedicated to the Bills.

They have to give the Sabres their time though. They are the official radio home for the Sabres, therefore the Sabres should have some pull.

BAM
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
they are so lame. they were talking about facebook pictures for a good half hour yesterday

What do you recommend listening to instead? Is there another daily show that talks about Bills football? I'm open to other options but I don't know of any other!

hydro
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I like the new format on the internet because they took off that blowhard Jim Rome and replay the Howard Simon show from that day.

Jim Rome is still on from noon to 3. It just isn't available online because his show can also be listened to on his website, but for a fee...

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
What time is howard simon on?

He is on from 6:00 - 10:00 AM weekdays and they have something going on from 10:00 till 11:00.

As for Rome, I used to hate the guy, but apart from the "smack talk" I like a lot of the stuff on his show.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
He is on from 6:00 - 10:00 AM weekdays and they have something going on from 10:00 till 11:00.

As for Rome, I used to hate the guy, but apart from the "smack talk" I like a lot of the stuff on his show.

Ah, so I was listening to him. I though it was something different.

Hemlepp53
08-26-2009, 12:31 PM

With that said Chernobylwraiths... We seem to talk about all of the above 20 times a day in 20 different ways. Look at the Thread Titles... TO Toe, TE can hang the long ball, Dick Sucks his first name, blah blah blah.... This is Bills Football. I want to hear about whatever is relivent in Bills Football I do not care if it is the same ****. Give me different opinions and such....

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Ah, so I was listening to him. I though it was something different.

I think he was on this morning. But they take a LOT of vacations during the summer.

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
With that said Chernobylwraiths... We seem to talk about all of the above 20 times a day in 20 different ways. Look at the Thread Titles... TO Toe, TE can hang the long ball, Dick Sucks his first name, blah blah blah.... This is Bills Football. I want to hear about whatever is relivent in Bills Football I do not care if it is the same ****. Give me different opinions and such....

I know that there are many people who don't visit this section, the MAIN section of this website, as much BECAUSE of the repetitiveness of the content. As I stated before, the station is always near the top in ratings in the country, so they must be doing something right. I like listening to Schoop and the bulldog on the way home, sometimes Schoop can be a condescending arrogant ass, but that show can be very funny at times too. And they also take big breaks from talking about sports and will do segments talking about crap like American Idol, the Bachelor and such. Usually to make fun of it.

hydro
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I think he was on this morning. But they take a LOT of vacations during the summer.
He was definitely on. If you (referring to bf1) don't know which voice is him, just figure out which one makes fun of himself constantly and seems generally uninteresting.

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
He was definitely on. If you (referring to bf1) don't know which voice is him, just figure out which one makes fun of himself constantly and seems generally uninteresting.

I like Simon a hell of a lot more than the others on there for the most part. White comes across as some kind of authority on everything and that his opinion is never wrong. I have to give him credit though, when I used to listen to the show at work (won't come in anymore on my radio) I would email him to disagree and he would usually email back and sometimes read it on the air.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM

I kind of didn't listen at all after someone called in with a recommendation to put cool ranch doritos on a pb&j sandwich.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM

Or listen to the guy who says something of the sort..

"Let's bring Paul Hamilton in to discuss this weekend's Sabres game. Hey Paul, I didn't watch the game because I went out shopping with my wife Saturday night, so what happened?"

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
one word

http://www.fybush.com/images/2004/wnsa.jpg
"The Sports Authority/Sports Paradise." Sports radio. October 2000 to May 2004. This station was a relatively rare monaural FM station, unlike its stereophonic counterparts; this was in part to increase the station's coverage area.
Arguably the station's greatest success was under this format. Between October2000 and April 2004, Empire Sports Network, operated the radio station, aimed at fans from Western New York into the Finger Lakes.The purpose of WNSA's existence was to challenge WGR, Buffalo's often antagonistic sports talk station.WNSA consistently outperformed WGR in the ratings for most of its run.

The station's fortunes would collapse when the Rigas/Adelphia Communications scandal occurred. After filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the new Adelphia management decided to sell off WNSA despite its solid performance. That resulted in the retirement of Art Wander, the defection of Mike Schopp to WGR and part-time work at ESPN Radio.Adelphia Communications, began to slash WNSA's budget to prepare it for sale. Howard Simon's show was moved to drive time, began simulcasting on Empire, and was dubbed The SimonCast, and the other personalities, none of whom seemed to be interested in the morning drive slot, rotated the AM shift (WNSA insisted on a local morning show because the Sporting News offering, Murray in the Morning, was deemed too inappropriate for its as-stated "PG-rated" listening auidence). Ratings fell below those of WGR toward the end. The end of WNSA came when the station was sold to WGR's owner, Entercom Communications in May 2004 for $10.5 million. Entercom turned it into classic rock "107.7 The Lake."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNSA#WNSA

Night Train
08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Local sports talk radio is amateur tripe. Pay it no mind. I'll listen to Sal if he can get on the air because Sal IS good.

Take some advice from someone who has been going to Bills games since the 1960's...

Listen to Sirius Radio and follow the college game on Rivals.com. Enjoy the game of football and don't just concentrate on the heartbreaking Bills or you'll start to hate the greatest sport on the planet.

Ignore WGR.

Typ0
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Jim Rome is still on from noon to 3. It just isn't available online because his show can also be listened to on his website, but for a fee...

Thank you for pretty much restating what I said.

hydro
08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you for pretty much restating what I said.

You're welcome....

Michael82
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
They never totally ignore the Bills. The still have tons of Bills coverage and Bills interviews. Like said by someone else, Buffalo football Mondays is totally dedicated to the Bills.

They have to give the Sabres their time though. They are the official radio home for the Sabres, therefore the Sabres should have some pull.
Yeah you got a point. But it just seems like, even when the Bills were doing good...once it's Sabres season...the Bills are ignored for the most part, especially in the afternoon show, except for Mondays and Sundays.

guy
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
As soon as Sabres season starts they will definitely have more to talk about - especially with the Sabres getting Grier, McCormick, Montador and letting go of Peters. Also, the possible addition of Tyler Myers, Tim Kennedy, or Nathan Gerbe. Screw WGR AND the Sabres!!! GO BILLS, Go Habs.