PDA

View Full Version : What IF...

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Edwards struggles and we start the season off with 0-4? Is everyone comfortable going with Fitzpatrick to save the season?

If Minnesota offloads one of Tarvaris Jackson or John David Booty I think we should be all over that.

In fact, Buffalo should monitor the waiver wire very closely for QBs once cuts begin.

Canadian'eh!
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
If Trent struggles then the season is a lost cause no matter who you bring in. So keep playing him and Fitzpatrick.

We'll at least end up with a really high draft pick (hopfully top 3) and give the new coach a shot at Stafford or Tebow.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Edwards should get all 16 games.

Fitzpatrick is a terrible QB and I cringe at the thought of him playing any meaningful minutes this season.

Jackson is also terrible. I'd rather just run the wildcat every single play than see Jackson in a Bills uniform.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
If Trent struggles then the season is a lost cause no matter who you bring in. So keep playing him and Fitzpatrick.

We'll at least end up with a really high draft pick (hopfully top 3) and give the new coach a shot at Stafford or Tebow.

Detroit took Stafford this year.

You mean Bradford? And McCoy is a better QB prospect than Tebow.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Edwards should get all 16 games.

Fitzpatrick is a terrible QB and I cringe at the thought of him playing any meaningful minutes this season.

Jackson is also terrible. I'd rather just run the wildcat every single play than see Jackson in a Bills uniform.
Jackson has been very good in pre-season and has surpassed Rosenfels on the depth chart I believe.

He also has a gun for an arm.

The Jokeman
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Edwards struggles and we start the season off with 0-4? Is everyone comfortable going with Fitzpatrick to save the season?

If Minnesota offloads one of Tarvaris Jackson or John David Booty I think we should be all over that.

In fact, Buffalo should monitor the waiver wire very closely for QBs once cuts begin.
I think Fitzpatrick showed last year in Cincy he's not the type of QB that can save a season if a franchise QB goes down. So I say ride the Edwards train for the entire season. That said I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy like Booty to serve as the 3rd QB this season and possibly be in a competition for Edwards in the 2010 with a new head coach. However without that coach in place it's tough to look at QBs that said coach would like when don't have said as said coach.

Canadian'eh!
08-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Detroit took Stafford this year.

You mean Bradford? And McCoy is a better QB prospect than Tebow.

Oops... yes..

I did mean Bradford. I also forgot about McCoy. I'm not usually up on College prospects until the bowl games roll around, other than knowing there is a lot of tlak about thsoe 3 QB's.

But the point is... if we stink this year with trent, there is no saving the season anyway.

Jaybird
08-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Tebow will not be drafted top 3.. nor do i think he will be an nfl QB.... And I think you mean bradford?!?

Aero II
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Tebow will not be drafted top 3.. nor do i think he will be an nfl QB
Why wouldn't Tebow be an NFL QB? They guy is a winner, he's got great size and rarely makes mistakes.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Tebow will not be drafted top 3.. nor do i think he will be an nfl QB.... And I think you mean bradford?!?
I've seen Tebow make throws that I still haven't seen from Edwards.

billsfanone
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
No absolutely not. Fitzpatrick is not the answer. He's a backup. If Trent goes 0-4, then get a head start and start analyzing the draft board.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
How about Jeff George?

I heard he recently had a very impressive workout for NFL scouts.

Canadian'eh!
08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
There's a reason Jeff George is not/has not been in the NFL for 5 years.

He's a locker room cancer and wasn't a very good QB to beign with!

Typ0
08-26-2009, 10:48 AM
jeff George has a cannon arm. He would go great with TO.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
There's a reason Jeff George is not/has not been in the NFL for 5 years.

He's a locker room cancer and wasn't a very good QB to beign with!
Yeah he was a distraction because he wanted to start. At this point he would be happy to be a backup and if Trent does fail I wouldn't mind seeing this guy launching passes to TO and Lee.

trapezeus
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
under no circumstance should this owner and FO fool themselves at 0-4 that the season is salvageable.

I do not want a JP situation where people are like, "this was good about him. Give him a shot next year and let's see" If trent fails miserably and proves that its an inherent flaw in his style of play, we should learn that in a bad season instead of putting off that lesson to a new season and potentially pass on good QB's from that draft class.

I'm sick of watching the bills be mediocre for half a season and then suck it by the end. So if we suck early, i'd rather just ride that out. I don't want the FO to kid themselves that they are one pathetic FA signing away from a playoff appearance or a draft full of CB's to help the defense out. that 6-10 to 9-7 seasons are awful precisely because it allows us to spin our wheels with this idea that we are really close to getting to where we want to be.

Perhaps this team needs to see what they really are: and that is a poorly managed team that fails to show up consistently on the field.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/jason-la-canfora/

McCown, Leftwich and Josh Johnson are available for trade out of Tampa.

Tyler Thigpen may also be available... definitely a guy I would want.

DraftBoy
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Id be all over a guy like Thigpen, Jackson, or Josh Johnson, but I wanted the Bills to get all these guys before.

tampabay25690
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Id be all over a guy like Thigpen, Jackson, or Josh Johnson, but I wanted the Bills to get all these guys before.

I like Josh Johnson alot.
I think the BUCS are making a huge mistake starting LEFTWICH over McCown...
I like McCown better then edwards and the guys can throw over 10 yards...

chernobylwraiths
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Make sure Edwards isn't the answer first, meaning whole year. If he gets injured, then scrap him for injury problems, but he gets a whole year IMO. If the Bills stink, we can draft another QB next year, but hopefully with a new coaching staff and maybe FO.

Mad Bomber
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
jeff George has a cannon arm. He would go great with TO.

George does have a cannon arm, but he has a cannonball for a brain.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Jackson has been very good in pre-season and has surpassed Rosenfels on the depth chart I believe.

He also has a gun for an arm.

Oh...well sign him up then.

Sorry, I was basing my opinion on all those regular season and playoff games he's been in where he has been absolutely terrible.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh...well sign him up then.

Sorry, I was basing my opinion on all those regular season and playoff games he's been in where he has been absolutely terrible.
I think Jackson has more upside than Edwards.

BillsOwnAll
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
we started 4-0 this year with him...what are some signs were going to tank it that bad and go 0-4.??

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Jackson has more upside than Edwards.

No way. Jackson has the QB instinct of JP Losman. He is terrible.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
we started 4-0 this year with him...what are some signs were going to tank it that bad and go 0-4.??
Different schedule. Last year we played cupcake games to get to 4-0.

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
No way. Jackson has the QB instinct of JP Losman. He is terrible.
Jackson has a much better arm and more athletic ability. If he turns the corner mentally he can easily surpass Edwards.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Jackson has a much better arm and more athletic ability. If he turns the corner mentally he can easily surpass Edwards.

That's a huge IF.

Didn't you learn anything after having Losman here the past few years?

Mahdi
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
That's a huge IF.

Didn't you learn anything after having Losman here the past few years?
What has Edwards done that has made him superior to Jackson mentally?

Jackson finished last season in great form against some tough opponents and so far in practice and pre-season he has looked very good.

Edwards hasn't even scored a TD yet. Again, I am not bashing the guy but he has proven nothing other than that he is questionable.

bflojohn
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Another QB I'd keep an eye on would be Dennis Dixon in Pittsburgh. Watch him Saturday and see what you all think. He'll be buried on the bench behind Roethlisberger, and maybe for the "right price" this guy could become available. I also like Tyler Thigpen and believe that his upside is greater than Trent Edwards'. A wildcard option could be Senaca Wallace in Seattle, and before anyone scoffs at this QB, I'd consider his skill set quite comprable to Doug Fluties' at the same stage of their respective careers!!

DraftBoy
08-26-2009, 05:29 PM

There is no bigger Jackson supporter on this board than me, and Minnesota rushed him and basically ruined him. He needed at least two seasons sitting and watching and he got rushed into action before he was even close to ready. The only way Id take him now is if I had Cam Cameron running my offense, which we don't.

Jeff1220
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
If they start out 0-4, I'll bet coaching will be more to blame than any one player.

Dr. Pepper
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
a big NO to pretty much everything in this thread. except the one guy who said Edwards gets a whole year, nothing makes sense. tavaris jackson? jeff george? LOL ok, right.

DraftBoy
08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Ill tell you what Tyler Thigpen would not be a bad option to look at. I dont know how much Pioli would value him, but he played well in KC, and had some really good games last season. He comes from a FCS school in Coastal Carolina so he is still some what raw but he showed a lot of potential. I like him a lot.

Throne Logic
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
There is no one remotely available who would truly be an improvement over what we've got in Trent when you consider the big picture.

Who would be able to find any kind of success by stepping into a new system with new WR's, poor coaching, and no preseason? Heck, I'd put the odds against the likes of Brady and Manning, too.

2009 is live or die with Trent Edwards.

As far as picking up someone for next year. I wouldn't feel good about anyone mentioned who is currently backing up in Tampa or where ever. If Trent is not the answer, we need a new viable option, not someone else's discards

Buffalogic
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I can't believe we are trying to pretend that T. Jackson is even worth mentioning..

Luisito23
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Edwards betta grow some **** this season and not continue to rely on the dump off. He has absolutely no excuse whatsoever...If he can't succeed and stay healthy this year than we need to get rid of him ASAP...Time to stop feeding from the the ***