• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Why preseason doesnt matter..at all

Heres a list of reason why people shouldnt take things from preseason and say "oh hes not going to be good" or " our team sucks"

#1- MOST starters are not playing for their job. So there fore they do not try as hard as they can.

#2.-They play what 3 seriers? Do the starters in the regualr season score a touchdown every seriers? No about 1 per 8. So when our starters dont score a TD and you get mad just think if they had the whole game they would score.

#3. They dont gamplan against other teams. They dont spend the whole week prior to the game planning on how there going to stop the other team or score on them.

#4. Not all 11 starters are usualy in there. Its not even the real starting team out there.

So when people are *****ing about how we suck. Shut up its preseason ..it doesnt matter.

That said im not saying were going to be top 5 in the league, but lets wait till we see the real team on the field. Before we make our judgements.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Why preseason doesnt matter..at all

you post this like you think this is our 1st rodeo. All the regulars here know enough about this team/Jauron and the last decade to be able to notice those same traits in our few preseason games.

I see too many similiarities in this years team as I saw last year the year before that and the year before that and even the pre Jauron years....

This team doesn't have the ability to beat you at the line of scrimmage. We're weak on OL and were weak at pass rushing... and I will be shocked to all hell if Maybin makes much if any impact this season. The only way our 1st string D gets an pressure on the QB is via blitz packages, and that fails 70% of the time. Solid QB's expose us consistently

the game is won and lost in the trenches... and we just do not know how to build the lines. 1st stringers evaluation in the 1st 3 preseason games confirms those fears... our OL better be playing for thier jobs because none of them are non replaceable... and I'm sure the rookies are giving it everything they have, as is guys like Bell who have everything to gain.

Drafting 2 OL rookie high in this years draft is a great move in the positve direction. However depending on 2 rookies to improve a crappy OL from last year is highly unlikely to produce an improved OL not to mention we have a huge (pun intended) stop gap at LT

Drafting Maybin meant we are building for 2011. We needed an immediate impact player but we drafted a project.

Feel free to rub my face in it if I am wrong... I honestly would enjoy that. I usually do wait until regular seaosn, but i saw all I needed with the GB game. We're not going to match up well with the good teams again this year. That's what I got from that game...

I will need to see 2 very convincing performances from our 1st stringers these last 2 preseason games to change my opinion. Which to me means our 1st string O needs to score at least 3 TD's, and our D needs to hold the opposing O to some 3 and outs while generating QB pressure non blitz.

but as of now were a 5 to 7 win team at best

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

Point 3 - they don't game plan in preseason.

They don't gameplan in regular season either and not shockingly, the results are pretty much the same.

I think this season is the season where you as a parent are pushing your kid to learn how to swim for 4 years. And you watched the other kids get it and enjoy it. Yet your kid at age 10 is still screaming at the side of the pool and hates the idea of water. Finally you give up and say, "you knkow what. this kid just doesn't like water." and you make peace with that.

Now your post is like the parent who is like, "try one more time. it'll be different for no other reason than you are simply trying again."

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
        My IQ Test results came back negative
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
        Point 3 - they don't game plan in preseason.

They don't gameplan in regular season either and not shockingly, the results are pretty much the same.

I think this season is the season where you as a parent are pushing your kid to learn how to swim for 4 years. And you watched the other kids get it and enjoy it. Yet your kid at age 10 is still screaming at the side of the pool and hates the idea of water. Finally you give up and say, "you knkow what. this kid just doesn't like water." and you make peace with that.

Now your post is like the parent who is like, "try one more time. it'll be different for no other reason than you are simply trying again."

I cant say my post is like your story at all. But sure.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Although I highly doubt this season will be any different, I am still willing to give the Bills a few regular season games to show how they perform.

Like I said in another post, the MNF game against New England will be a great indicator.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
            • Apr 2005

DJ and staff are in every game, every play . This is a testing and evaluation period for them too. They continue to prove they can't get the job down and should be let go ,if for no other reason but failure to perform.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
              #2.-They play what 3 seriers? Do the starters in the regualr season score a touchdown every seriers? No about 1 per 8. So when our starters dont score a TD and you get mad just think if they had the whole game they would score.
              1 in 8? That's a pathetic expectation! A team gets the ball only 12 to 16 times per game... By your standard we score 3 to 14 points. Oh wait... That's what we do!!

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                1 in 8? That's a pathetic expectation! A team gets the ball only 12 to 16 times per game... By your standard we score 3 to 14 points. Oh wait... That's what we do!!
                no kidding. no wonder Moorman is a pro bowl caliber punter

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

In the Jim Kelly era I did not put much stock in the preseason but a few things concern me greatly:
                  - This team has not made the playoffs in 9 years so there needs to have a reason for optimism but if anything they have disappointed in preseason.
                  - This team does not seem to show any improvements in any areas yet. One concern I had was Edwards being a dink and dunk passer. I went to training camp in early August three times and each time Edwards did not look good throwing the long ball. I brushed it off as it is his second week of camp and the timing is not down yet. However, after three preseason games I am starting to think Edwards does not have confidence in his long ball and what I saw in training camp may be the norm.
                  - The offensive line is being pushed around like rag dolls. I think ESPN showed BJ Raji how he got low on his blocker and just drove him back like nothing. The blocker he was against? Geoff Hangartner. I have season tickets to the Panthers and I was not overly impressed with Hangartner. I thought he was better than what we had but average at best. Nothing has changed so far. Throw in two rookies that probably need time to understand the game at this level are now starting they will be making a lot of mistakes. That's not good when your QB seems to lack confidence.
                  - The DE tandem of Schobel, Kelsey and Denney have not done anything to get their hands on the QB. I know Maybin is signed but he missed a lot of time so he has a huge learning curve.
                  - The coaching staff absolutely sucks. When many of our opponents play a 3-4 yet we hear after they were schooled in a preseason game and their excuse is they have not practiced much against a 3-4 that does not leave a good feeling inside.
                  - Fred Jackson and TO are out hurt.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

#1- the bills havent gameplanned at all for the preseason, as most reasonably veteran teams dont so they wont waste effort that could be spent elsewhere

#2.- defenses are usually ahead of the offenses in preseason, especially the bills who are still ramping up on the no-huddle

#3. - preseason success historically has shown it means absolutely nothing for predicting how the regular season will go

#4.- this team is still going to stink like britneys coolie after african port of call
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by don137
                      In the Jim Kelly era I did not put much stock in the preseason but a few things concern me .
                      the other thing about that era is our starters would come in for a series or 2 move the ball easily and then let the scrubs lose the games for us over the next 3 + quarters...

with Jaurons team we leave the starters in there for a few series and accomplish close to nothing or stall out at the usual redzone point and kick for 3

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

If preseason doesn't matter, why are they starting to call each other out? They're not happy about something.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Preseason for successful, veteran teams is different than for teams like the Bills. The Pats, Steelers, et. al. have the luxury of spending less time getting their veterans ready (they know the system and have played together for a number of seasons), so they can spend proportionately more time evaluating the big time rookies - a few of whom might start - and other young players who are going to take the relatively few open roster spots.

The Bills are different. We have to do both MORE individual evaluating, as well as MORE getting the team prepared. We're young, with lots of players vying for playing time and roster spots, a totally rebuilt O-line, and many guys who don't know our systems. Thus we have to do a ton of teaching and evaluating of players, as well as forming them into cohesive units. By this 4th preseason game, the evaluation process should be coming to an end, and we should now be trying to get our team ready for success in the NFL - a step the good, veteran teams don't need to spend nearly as much time and energy doing.

Since we've had to use a good portion of the preseason teaching and evaluating, the last few weeks of camp become very important. I thus wouldn't put too much import on the first 3 games, but this next game should indicate how far we have come, and how far we have to go.

No more "It's only preseason." The Bills need to play some good football against the Steelers.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
                            Registered Fish
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
                            Heres a list of reason why people shouldnt take things from preseason and say "oh hes not going to be good" or " our team sucks"

#1- MOST starters are not playing for their job. So there fore they do not try as hard as they can.

#3. They dont gamplan against other teams. They dont spend the whole week prior to the game planning on how there going to stop the other team or score on them.

#4. Not all 11 starters are usualy in there. Its not even the real starting team out there.

So when people are *****ing about how we suck. Shut up its preseason ..it doesnt matter.

That said im not saying were going to be top 5 in the league, but lets wait till we see the real team on the field. Before we make our judgements.
                            While the outcome of preseason games don't mean anything, clearly there are aspects of the games that are very meaningful. For example:

1. If your OL is getting manhandled in one-on-one matchups, there is reason for concern.

2. Coaches us the preseason to evaluate players and make personnel decisions.

Comment

• Luisito23
                              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                              • Apr 2003

Since we're not the Colts, Steelers, or Patriots this thread is pretty much pointless.
                              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                              X