PDA

View Full Version : If we had a new coach would anything be different?

HHURRICANE
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Since I've been right on our DEs and our o-line I'm just curious on why everyone is so confident that a new coach would do anything more with this roster?

To be frank, I really don't care if a better coach get us 6-8 wins vs. 4-6 wins with Jauron. Sucking less is a waste of my time.

Until the FO builds a roster that can actually make a run into the playoffs what do I care about who the coach is.

Kelsay and Schobel suck and it will take at least another 2 years to rebuild a pass rush.

Even if Hangartner and Wood do well there are still serious questions about Butler, Walker, and Levitre. I'm not sure why Levitre get's a pass around here.
When a player gets drafted in the second round does that somehow guarantee he won't suck? My personal opinion is that if you suck on day one there is a good chance you are always going to suck. Wood is doing well so why am I giving Levitre a pass?

GreedoII
08-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Any coach will be different than this useless turd we have now in Dickless. It's about a new culture and attitude. A new philosophy which in turn brings in different players and unproductive and players that don't fit get cut.

It's about making these high priced guys accountable and treated as if they are always on the cusp of getting cut. It's motivation and correct teaching. A new coach could bring all this, but knowing Wilson.....he hires April and he keeps everybody which probably would happen. He would be a puppet coach in my opinion.

Ralph won't bring anybody in who wants to radically change things ala Cowher or Shanahan. He wants a yes man because he's so scared of another Donadope scenario. Really...until this old senile fool kicks it this is what we get. The thing is...is the team staying or leaving? We are being held hostage.

Just my 2 cents....

Fitting Square Pegs in Round Holes people. Remember that....

Prov401
08-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Since I've been right on our DEs and our o-line I'm just curious on why everyone is so confident that a new coach would do anything more with this roster?

To be frank, I really don't care if a better coach get us 6-8 wins vs. 4-6 wins with Jauron. Sucking less is a waste of my time.

Until the FO builds a roster that can actually make a run into the playoffs what do I care about who the coach is.

Kelsay and Schobel suck and it will take at least another 2 years to rebuild a pass rush.

Even if Hangartner and Wood do well there are still serious questions about Butler, Walker, and Levitre. I'm not sure why Levitre get's a pass around here.
When a player gets drafted in the second round does that somehow guarantee he won't suck? My personal opinion is that if you suck on day one there is a good chance you are always going to suck. Wood is doing well so why am I giving Levitre a pass?

Well usually a new coach would bring in a new system. That means see ya Cover 2, which IMO sucks beyond belief. Secondly, the new coach would probably practice the team a little harder, and implement more disciple into the team than skelatore does. I've said before, I think the Bills are talented on both sides of the ball, minus the lines. And like the old saying goes, games are won and lost in the trenches. Which is why this year, we will win and lose. 8-8. Gruden, Schottenheimer, Dungy, Holmgren, Cohwer, Billick, somebody please help us...

trapezeus
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
you can't pick players before you have the scheme in place. And the coach should have input on the tools he wants. That's why i think they should fire jauron midseason and then pick the top candidate midseason.

It lets the new coach kick the wheels a bit in an already lost season. This way he knows exactly what he has at the end of the season and hits the draft and Free Agency knowing exactly what needs to be replaced. Then his first year is truly his own.

Of course if they just replace Jauron with say Butch Davis or some other massively ******ed failure of a coach it won't matter much and it'll be another 3 years of being blueballed by this team.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
How are you right about the O-line after 0 (zero, nada) actual games have been played?

Mudflap1
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
We need to bring in a top-flight talent evaluator, and top-flight coach. Then things would be different.

Look at Tennessee. They are cheap, but they have Jeff Fisher. The organization drafts well, and Fisher gets the most out of the talent, and they have good teams a lot of the time. That is what the Bills need. They can afford to be somewhat cheap on the players if they spend big money on getting the right talent evaluators and right head coach.

Michael82
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
We need a new head coach and new GM. Then things will be different. However, this also means something that many of you may not want to hear...a total REBUILDING process. We have some pieces, but many of them are for the Cover 2 defense, which I'm sure many of us would want to get rid of. If we got a new GM and HC, we would most likely get rid of Trent too. So our offense would totally change, hense the word rebuilding.

ddaryl
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM
a differnt coach would make ALL the difference. If that coach was a bonafide winner

bigbub2352
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Absolutly a coach is suppossed to install passion, motivation, and also the will to win, he has to earn the confidence of his players, as well as show them he is with them thru thick and thin he has to bring a winning attitude
He has to have comand of his players as well as put them in the correct position to win the game
In my opinion DJ and his staff does none of this
they like him only cause he is easy and he has been a proven loser so respect factor goes out the window even though he played the game 35yrs ago
The problem is that the players the fans the whole NFL knows that when it comes down to it his game managemnt directly effects alot of outcomes and the other teams no that and probabyl wait for him to make his mistakes or simply out coach him the whole game
Either way if the players dont believe that the coach is worth a damn as per coaching but like him cause he is easy that is a recipe for disaster
We need a Cowher/Gruden type in here and a new front office
or HH nothing changes

HHURRICANE
08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Great posts in this thread!

I think the only way the coach matters is if Brandon is fired with Jauron. Just my opinion.

The reason I brought the topic up is that a Gruden or Cowher is not letting a Jason Peters or Dockery walk out the door so when the FO let's that happen than what?

This is why you'll never get the coach you folks covet here. Hence why the coach doesn't matter.

gil
08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
While our talent gap between us and someone like NE is a bit more than I like, I think that coaching can get you a couple of wins with some smart decisions and as we've all seen, jauron makes some terrible ones.

Would those couple of wins with a decent coach have meant 9-7 or 10-6 and a possible playoff appearance the last couple years - definitely maybe?

Patti120
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
We need a new head coach and new GM. Then things will be different. However, this also means something that many of you may not want to hear...a total REBUILDING process. We have some pieces, but many of them are for the Cover 2 defense, which I'm sure many of us would want to get rid of. If we got a new GM and HC, we would most likely get rid of Trent too. So our offense would totally change, hense the word rebuilding.

Well I guess this wouldn't seem to much different than whats been going on for the last 10 years anyways,:const:

psubills62
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Great posts in this thread!

I think the only way the coach matters is if Brandon is fired with Jauron. Just my opinion.

The reason I brought the topic up is that a Gruden or Cowher is not letting a Jason Peters or Dockery walk out the door so when the FO let's that happen than what?

This is why you'll never get the coach you folks covet here. Hence why the coach doesn't matter.

Dockery didn't walk out the door. He was shoved.

And I don't believe for a second that no good head coach would let Peters go. Did Belichick pull out all the stops to keep Asante Samuel? He wanted out, and they let him go.

I think a different coach and a GM who actually knows how to not whiff on your first round selections would be good. We have found some real gems in the late rounds, but that's essentially it. When will our first-rounders become bona fide stars? We need guys like Lee Evans to be as good as an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. We need studs on this team. Then we can supplement the positions around those studs with solid late-rounders. But when all you have is solid late-rounders, your team won't be very good.

We also need a coach who can use the talent appropriately. Am I excited they got Maybin? Yes. Do I trust them to use him in many different ways to take advantage of his athletic ability? Not in the slightest. Whenever they've got weapons, they almost never seem to be able to use them. I'm sure we can all think of plays that worked really well once but were never used again. I'm thinking particularly of an end-around that Lee Evans ran for 30+ yards...can't remember who against. Never saw it again. Come on!

TacklingDummy
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Coaching is only as good/bad as the talent they have to work with.

psubills62
08-27-2009, 03:42 PM

I don't believe that at all. Good coaches can adjust their scheme to help accentuate players' strengths and reduce the effects of their weaknesses. Towards the end of the season, Matt Cassel was throwing over 80% of his passes out of the shotgun.

Cassel was also the league leading QB in % of his yards coming from his receiver's YAC (55%). To me, that says that they didn't really trust Cassel to make all the correct throws, so they adjusted by getting the ball into the hands of Welker/Moss/Faulk/etc. and letting them run with it.

Good coaches realize when something doesn't work and adjust for it. I don't think I've watched any Bills game and thought to myself "boy, Jauron made some good halftime adjustment to account for _____." Did he adjust to stop Arizona's short passing game last year? Nope.

So no, I don't believe coaches are only as good as their talent. Jauron sucks, even if he had Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Adrian Peterson and the Giants' OL, he'd still go 7-9.

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
depends on the coach.

justasportsfan
08-27-2009, 03:52 PM

the fins wen't from 1-15 to playoffs because of coaching.

Cassel was nobody until the coaches ran plays to make him succeed.

We owned noodle arm Pennington when he was with the jets. That same noodle arm moved to the fins and he owned us because the coaches there knew how to use him. The same noodle arm was owned by the PAts when he was with the jets. See what he did to the pats while he was a fin? Right system, right coach will do wonders with the talent.

sdbillsfan2
08-27-2009, 04:52 PM
!

more cowbell
08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
this team would win more games with a different coach. no doubt in my mind

sdbillsfan2
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
If we had a new coach would anything be different?

A) The Bills might end up with a winning record
B) The Bills might actually make the playoffs
C) More then a few less broken hearts each Sunday
D) Less shattered TV screens
E) Pride,Pride, Pride
F) all of the above

Do you really have to be smarter then a fifth grader to answer this question ?

TacklingDummy
08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't believe that at all. Good coaches can adjust their scheme to help accentuate players' strengths and reduce the effects of their weaknesses. Towards the end of the season, Matt Cassel was throwing over 80% of his passes out of the shotgun.

Cassel was also the league leading QB in % of his yards coming from his receiver's YAC (55%). To me, that says that they didn't really trust Cassel to make all the correct throws, so they adjusted by getting the ball into the hands of Welker/Moss/Faulk/etc. and letting them run with it.

Good coaches realize when something doesn't work and adjust for it. I don't think I've watched any Bills game and thought to myself "boy, Jauron made some good halftime adjustment to account for _____." Did he adjust to stop Arizona's short passing game last year? Nope.

So no, I don't believe coaches are only as good as their talent. Jauron sucks, even if he had Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Adrian Peterson and the Giants' OL, he'd still go 7-9.Put Matt Cassell on the Bills last year and he would be right back to the bench.

If coaching is so important, what happened to Belicheck in Cleveland?

mercyrule
08-27-2009, 10:31 PM
No, Jauron is not the problem here.

jamze132
08-28-2009, 02:49 AM
If anyone from the BZ stepped into a coaching role for the Bills, we would probably instantly win a couple of games. That is how incompetent our current staff is. How many 3rd and longs do you need to give up before you start to blitz and keep the DBs close to the WRs?

sdbillsfan2
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
No, Jauron is not the problem here.

If Dick isn't the problem , who's to blame for bad clock management, bad play calling, and not having his team prepared by game time? Just curious.
He's the ultimate authority on the field. The buck has to stop some where . Looking at his coaching record , who's fault is it he's coached more games losing then he's won.

Hemlepp53
08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
If Dick isn't the problem ,

sdbillsfan2... You must not know bro... Its not Dick, any of the coaching staff, the front office, or the Old Man... Its the fans... we actually expect to win and have winning season... ITS OUR FAULT.. THE FANS... :duel:

psubills62
08-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Put Matt Cassell on the Bills last year and he would be right back to the bench.

If coaching is so important, what happened to Belicheck in Cleveland?

That I don't know because I wasn't really paying attention to football at that point.

I just don't see how anyone could ignore the constant stream of players who put up good to great stats in New England but go on to mediocre to bad careers elsewhere? Or how the supposedly most important cog in the New England machine is out for the year, but they still finish 11-5?

I would agree that even the best coaches can certainly be limited by the skills of the players to an extent. But I don't believe at all that a coach's ceiling is absolutely limited by his players.

Mr. Pink
08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
The main problem of this organization are the talent evaluators. Pro and College.

When you bring subpar talent in, you get subpar results.

This roster is full of guys who don't belong on NFL rosters, let alone starting.

Ellison, Kelsay, Scott for example.

You can only do what your talent can provide.

It's a miracle we went 7-9 the last season JP was the starter. Why did we go 7-9? The coaching hid him as much as possible. So there's one example of good coaching. If you don't believe the staff hid him as much as possible just look at that Colts game.