PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rate the Bills in the AFC heading into the season?

WG
05-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Assuming that it's a given that expectation are, and reasonably so, that the Bills make the playoffs this season, how would you rate the Bills in terms of overall team strength heading into this season?

Since 6 teams make the playoffs, and since it's almost a universal foregone conclusion that if they don't make the playoffs then they either underachieved or had a slew of injuries, I only put up 1-6.

WG
05-22-2003, 02:49 PM
I went w/ 1st! The only two teams that I can see being on or near par w/ us right now are the Titans and the Fins.

I don't think there's much of an argument that there isn't a team in the league that has the WR/RB/OL combo that we have in Moulds/Henry/and starting OL that we have. We're ear deep in RBs, Moore is solid at minimum, and the Moulds/Reed WRing tandem may be the best in the league still.

On D, while we still have a few holes, given the way we played in the last half of last season coupled w/ the upgrades, I think we'll also be vying for top honors defensively speaking in the AFC as well. Either way, I'm expecting a top 3 or 4 D and a top 1 or 2 O.

STs may be a determining factor as well, but it cannot get much worse than it's been over the past two seasons and there's some new talent there as well.

So my hopes are for a division championship, the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, a first round bye, and a Super Bowl appearance. Anything less than a trip to the divisional round of the the playoffs I will consider a failure on the season and far less than we should have done at minimum.

justasportsfan
05-22-2003, 02:52 PM
!st? Despite you thinking Drew was a mistake ?

BillsMan80
05-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Assuming Gilbride smartens up a little keeps a little balance, honestly, I see us as a #1 or #2 seed. Miami could be a threat, but we know they'll rush out to a 6-1 start or so and then fade to a record of around 10-6. The team that scares me the most outside of Miami might be Kansas City. The Chiefs return that scary offense, with the addition of a lot of help on defense. If I were to rate the teams now in terms of Power Rankings in the AFC, here's what I see...

1. Buffalo
2. Miami
3. Kansas City
4. Tennessee
5. Pittsburgh
6. New England

Rude American
05-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

WYS is totally confused.

WG
05-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Yes. I think we're too good overall such that even if Drew plays the way he did last year, we're still the team to beat.

However, if Drew does continue on his normal trend, which I hope he doesn't, but then I would expect that he'll cost us a game in either the divisional round or the CG round. But I'll even go out on a limb now and say that if we don't reach the SB, it'll be b/c of Drew. It'll be b/c of his own personal errors and mistakes in the playoffs that cause us to lose a playoff game.

The D will be too good in the AFC when coupled w/ how many of us expect Henry to run. Another defining element will be Gilbride's strategy. If he has another season of a love affair w/ Bledsoe and the passing game, then we're gonna end up screwin' ourselves.

Patrick76777
05-22-2003, 03:04 PM
It’s so close.

I think we’re better than, SD, Den, Jax, Ten, Ind, Hou, Cin, Cle, Bal

I think we’re on par with Mia, NE, NYJ, Pit, KC and Oak.

I see major weaknesses on nearly every team in the AFC. No reason why we can’t make a run for the top.

DAMN I wish we were in the AFC North. I’d be buying my playoff tickets already.

venis2k1
05-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
...and a top 1 or 2 O....

We finished 6th in the AFC in O last year, do you really think that our O has gotten better this offseason???

Tatonka
05-22-2003, 03:41 PM
wow.. a positive post.. rofl :D

BillsNYC
05-22-2003, 04:18 PM
i voted second...new england will be the team to beat....and i kinda think we're tied with the jets for #2...they smoked us in that second game last year...

Judge
05-22-2003, 05:21 PM
I went w/ 1st! ...
So my hopes are for a division championship, the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, a first round bye, and a Super Bowl appearance. Anything less than a trip to the divisional round of the the playoffs I will consider a failure on the season and far less than we should have done at minimum.

I agree 100%. Anything less than a division round trip will be a failure. I expect a trip to the AFC Championship game quite frankly.

Stewie
05-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Yea I hope Drew doesn't play like he does the last time he played in a playoff game.. I wouldn't want him throwing any game winning touchdown passes... :rolleyes:

Stewie
05-22-2003, 08:03 PM
I think we're 5th, behind NE, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Miami and Tenessee

Stewie
05-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Of course, I meant 6th

WG
05-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1

We finished 6th in the AFC in O last year, do you really think that our O has gotten better this offseason???

We would have been first or second in the AFC last season if Gilbride hadn't been an idiot! All he had to do was run Henry a normal amount of times and not try to throw the ball 50 times a game and we would have easily won at least two more games and had better overall offensive stats.

Why I think we've improved:

Reed will more than make up for Price's absence.
We're supposedly going to be a lot more balanced. I agree, if that doesn't happen, then we may not be even in the top 5 if all we try to do is throw again.
The OL will have MW in his second season and the other young lineman all playing together for the first time again.
Henry will have another year under his belt.

Yes, I do think we've improved!

lordofgun
05-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Until we can beat NE, we're #2.

venis2k1
05-23-2003, 12:50 AM
As far as Gilbride goes and his "More Balanced Offense", ill belive it when i see it. And there is No Way that Reed puts up the Numbers Price put up last year. But i still think that we will have a good...Hell even a great Offense if we RUN the Damn Ball!!!!

venis2k1
05-23-2003, 12:53 AM
The colts, Titans, Pats, and Bolts are all better than us IMO.

WG
05-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1
As far as Gilbride goes and his "More Balanced Offense", ill belive it when i see it. And there is No Way that Reed puts up the Numbers Price put up last year. But i still think that we will have a good...Hell even a great Offense if we RUN the Damn Ball!!!!

I agree w/ ya 2k. That's why, if it is, my optimism is somewhat tempered.

As to Reed, if he puts up the type of numbers that Price put up then your scenario will have been worth demanding proof for b/c it won't have happened.

I.e., if Reed puts up those kinds of numbers, then Gilbride hasn't learned a daggoned thing.

We need to quit associating raw and aggregate stats apart from any type of analysis as the single basis for any measure of a player. RBs YPC avg., QBs compl. %, YPA, TD/INT ratios, WRs YPC avg. are some measures that stand alone. But compl. %, overall yards, etc. apart from a complete analysis are meaningless.

That's why so many play up Bledsoe's accomplishments based solely on yards and attempts while I don't view it in the same light.

It's quite possible, and I'll even say likely dependent upon the first topic discussed, that Drew has a better season than last year w/ ~1,000 fewer yards, 150-200 fewer attempts, and the running game doing much more. We have to learn to look at how the individual components help out the team in general.

Last year, over the last 10 games of the season or so, Drew threw only 1 TD for ~ every 234 yards passing. That absolutely sucks. It's probably the worst in the league of every starting QB. I.e., what good are all those yards if we can't punch it into the endzone as a result.

The biggest thing that Drew can do to help this team, and something that will only occur if he doesn't get more than 500 attempts and 3,500 yards or so, is that he quits making those stupid picks and errors that turn games around against us and result in losses.

IF, Drew has a 3,400, 20 TD, 12 INT season this year, I'll consider it better than last season's ~4,300/24/15 season assuming that he throws those 12 INTs in say 9 or 10 games instead of all in 5 or 6 games.

IMO Drew will be a much better QB, and incredibly more useful to this team if he compliments the rushing game more stops trying to "be the man" in the big games which he has only shown that he consistently fails at. Not only here, but in N.E. as well.

The same can be said for the WRs. If Moulds ends up w/ 1,300 yards and 12 TDs, he'll have had a better year. But then if Reed only has say 8 or 900 yards as the #2, but w/ Drew only throwing for ~3,400 (or ~ 1,000 fewer yards than last season), then that won't mean that Reed is not as good as Price. Especially if he can find the endzone 6 or 8 times. It'll simply mean that we've changed our strategy and offensive system to reduce the role of the passing game and balance it out w/ some more rushing presumably.

I'd like to see Henry w/ an 1,800 yard, 16 TD year, Drew w/ a 3,400, 20 TD/<=12INT year and on the merits of say ~450 attempts for a nice healthy YPA avg. instead of 40-million yards on a gazillion attempts w/ only one TD/game to show for it while blasting the worst and easiest 5 teams on our schedule to boost his aggregate stats.

We don't need to prove that we can beat Houston, Cincy, Jax, and Dallas in grand fashion. We need to demonstrate that we can outscheme and outexecute teams like N.E., Tenn., Philly, Mia, and the Jets and w/o the help of injuries to those teams and crazy weather. Sure, wins no matter how you get them are nice, but if you cannot legitimately beat the best teams in the league, then you are not a contender!

That's what we need to be able to do if we are to have any chance at all this season of not only making the playoffs, but of doing well in them.

WG
05-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

We could say the same thing about the Jets and K.C. too but we're better than they are. Likewise, I consider Miami the best of the East and the only team that is as good, or so, as we are and we beat them twice last season. Problem is is that we beat them largely due to their three top passing game players being injured and then again their QB being injured along w/ weather assistance.

We'll have to beat Miami this season likely w/o weather help and likely w/ them having a full compliment of players. Hopefully it won't be us that has the injuries.

lordofgun
05-23-2003, 08:39 AM
We could say the same thing about the Jets and K.C. too but we're better than they are.

Why do you always have to be so positive? :shakeno:

:D

Jan Reimers
05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
I think we're about 4th. With all of our big name additions, don't overlook Sam Gash and Dick Lebeau.

BillsNYC
05-23-2003, 08:53 AM

BillsNYC concurs.

WG
05-23-2003, 09:18 AM

Why do you always have to be so positive? :shakeno:

:D

Can't we all just get along!

Let's have a "Get Along" committee!

Let's elect a leader; I nominate TT! :D

ryjam282
05-23-2003, 03:57 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I have us 2nd. I think NE is the team to beat right now. Colvin will help them out so much, but we will see....Spikes is the man....GO BILLS!!!!

venis2k1
05-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Im not really afraid of the Pats players, im afraid of their coaching.

HenryRules
05-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I said 5th ...
Pitt (Cowher is a god)
Tenn (always up there)
Jets (people are discounting Martin way to quickly)
Denver (I think Shanny's gonna do well with Plummer).

Dman
05-24-2003, 08:52 AM
I think as it stands right now...we're the solid #2.....
Oakland
Buffalo
New England
Tenessee
Pittsburgh
NY Jets/ KC

Miami will again be a pretender

:fishfry:

:gobills:

Halbert
05-24-2003, 11:05 PM
1. Fish - The best power running/defense combo in the conference. If their recievers were stronger they'd be truly scary.

2. Broncs - 2nd in the AFC in offense and defense. Even Plumber will look great in that system.

3. Steelers - the last time they had an offense and defense at the same time they went to the SB. They have it again.

4. Bills - On paper the starting lineup is as strong as anybody. On the field, they've got some gelling to do.

5. Titans - Steve & Eddie are offensive machines. One of the stingiest run defenses in the league. If the secondary firms up they'll be very tough.

venis2k1
05-25-2003, 01:15 AM
Steelers need a QB, and a good RB. Tommy Maddox and Amos Zereoue cant get the job done.

WG
05-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I said 5th ...
Pitt (Cowher is a god)
Tenn (always up there)
Jets (people are discounting Martin way to quickly)
Denver (I think Shanny's gonna do well with Plummer).

Cowher's an idiot!!!

After that performance in the POs two seasons ago, my opinion that he was a good coach was shot all to pieces. After that game I was convinced that the man's a moron!

For as long as he's coaching the Steelers I'll never be daunted by their coaching.

Titans are always up there recently and they've improved and will be healthier. As to the Jets, don't forget about Jordan too. That's a 1-2 punch that will be devastating.

Denver, I think that many of their fans are gonna be wishing for Griese back in spades! Plummer is a poor man's Bledsoe and between the two of them, they collectively represent the QB pair that has gotten the most mileage in the pros from their collegiate careers. Both are regarded as very good QBs who've played on not-so-good teams. Yet, both make errors out the wazoo, and neither has consistently put up great numbers on any more than an occasional basis.

Bledsoe's had 2 or 3 very good seasons along w/ 2 or 3 fair-to-poor ones amidst 4 or 5 other very average ones.

Plummer's been abysmal and has tossed more TDs than INTs only once in his 6 year career w/ killer talent at the WR position and often at TE and receiving RB too!

Together they are the most overrated two QBs in modern football history! Collectively they have pitched only 7 of 16 seasons w/ more TDs than INTs! And they're regarded as good? I have no idea what Denver was thinking when they picked up Plummer. 90 TDs/114 INTs career, w/ no season over 18 TDs. They're gonna be really sorry that they picked him up and even sorrier that they spent what they did on him. That's crazy IMO!