PDA

View Full Version : Could Bobby April be successful?

Dying_-2-_Live
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I like the creative mind of April... but how many special team coaches have become head coaches? im not quite sure. :bullseye:

Meathead
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
The Marv was a st coach

Dr. Pepper
08-27-2009, 05:26 PM
i voted no.... mostly beacause presumably he'd be coaching The Bills.

Jeff1220
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I really have no idea. I believe Harbaugh w/the Ravens was Philly's ST coach when hired as HC and he seems to be doing alright. Other guys have gone straight to HC from position coach w/varying levels of success. Maybe April would be a diamond in the rough here. I'd way rather have Schottenheimer though.

Michael82
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
After watching how he coaches these guys every single time in training camp and the amount of fire and emotion he shows, plus the players LOVE to play for him. I'm going to say, Yes! I think he could be a damn good head coach and would love to see him as the Interim head coach when Jauron gets canned!

justasportsfan
08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I love April but I'd rather have a PROVEN HC than all these experiments

T-Long
08-27-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah, what Mikey said.

Night Train
08-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I love April but I'd rather have a PROVEN HC than all these experiments

I'd rather have our owner prove he actually cares. Then the Bills would go out and pay a name guy.

SABURZFAN
08-27-2009, 07:13 PM
why not? the Old Fart doesn't want to shell out the money for a REAL HC.

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Hes a great coach. I doubt hed be a good HC. Well most likely find out though because Ralph would probably hire him over a proven head coach.

elltrain22
08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Here's my coaching wishlist....

1.) Bill Cowher (pipe dream)
2a.) Mike Shanahan
2b.) Bobby April

to answer the question, I'd be happy w/ April, but I'd be happier w/ Cowher.

imbondz
08-27-2009, 07:58 PM
how many coaches have won superbowls with two different teams? none. I don't want Cowher. I'd take Schottenheimer, then April.

yordad
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I have mixed thoughts on April, but I don't really know the guy that well. I mean, what do we really know? I guess I will tell you what I think I know...

The guy looks like he is always coaching. He is always talking to someone, and he isn't talking about dinner or the weather. Jauron rarely speaks.

The guy is a motivator. I have seen him yell at people, and I have seen him wildly pat someone on the back. Jauron rarely speaks.

He looks very attentive. When his unit is out there he is watching like a hawk. And, one would say "of course", but he like assumes a pose. I mean, compare him to Jauron who looks like he is gazing across a meadow of flowers after a light spring rain.

He is very energetic. He will run down the sidelines. He will celebrate. He will smile, and talk fast. Jauron will golf clap.

He has some intangible. I have seen him give the ol' "don't worry about it kid, these things happen". I mean, I don't know what he is saying, but that is what he looks like he is saying. Or maybe, "It's just one play son, we'll get it back". Jauron rarely speaks.

He is articulate. He speaks well, and seems to say what he means. April strikes me as a straight shooter. He is less delibrate with his words then Jauron, who sounds like he is underoath and covering up a crime every time he speaks. It is like Jauron thinks out every word before he speaks.

He is innovative. The NFL actually made a new special teams rule this year that is unofficially the "April rule". Teams can no longer bunch players on one side of the line for onside kicks, and it is because of April (Other Rule Changes (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8104d93c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)). And, who can forget that sweet pass to Denney last year. Has Jauron ever done something innovative?

He is prepared. In the regular season, teams really get one over on him.

He wants excellence. He is on record saying "I'll be really, really disappointed if we're not excellent. We should be and I know the guys have the same expectation." (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/739485.html)

And the BIGGEST thing, he has gotten results. Hard to argue with his results. I don't even think I have to get into how good the Bills special teams have been. And, they have done it with different guys over the years, and on all units.

The only question I have is, "Is he too close with the players?"

Throne Logic
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I was hoping for April when Jauron was hired. Seems to have all the tools that make a good coach. At the time, I reasoned that he'd be willing to hire a big name coordinator as he'd not have to deal with his own ego regarding Offense (Mularky) or Defense (Williams).

Marv Levy was the guy I had in mind when I was rooting for April to get the job. Special Teams coach with the Chiefs, I believe, prior to becoming HC of the Bills. Marv was a great communicator and motivator. He left much of the Offense and Defensive coaching details to the solid coordinators he brought in as part of his team.

Interesting scenario going into 2009. If we really suck in the first half of the season, say 1-7, does a change get made? Could be an interesting audition for Bobby April for the remainder of 2009.