PDA

View Full Version : My opinions on our next HC

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
During the entirety of Dick Jauron's coaching career with the Buffalo Bills the majority of the loyal fan base has been clamoring for him to get the axe. Most of the time its not because of Dick as a person, it is because he doesn't seem to know how to coach a professional football team.

Jauron is 57-77-0 as an NFL head coach and 0-1 in the preseason. His conservative coaching style and poor gameday decisions have lost many games for every team he has coached, including the Buffalo Bills. His conservative, bend but dont break, play not to lose style has rubbed off on his coordinators as well, which may have dug the Bills a hole they wont be able to get out of.

This can be seen in the 4-3 defensive scheme of Perry Fewell, but it is even more evident with second year offensive coordinator, Turk Schonert.

Schonert appeared to have begun the 2008 NFL season with a plan, and that plan helped the Bills reach a 5-1 record to begin the year. He was still suffering growing pains, which are expected with a first time coordinator, but there seemed to be more potential there than there had been with his predecessor, Steve Fairchild. But as the season rolled on the playcalling became more than more conservative, much like the head coach the runs the team.

Schonert appeared to have the right idea this season with the no-huddle. But as it soon turned out, the no-huddle was just a sham and publicity stunt. While it may be too soon to start making assumptions as to how the no-huddle will work in the regular season, it is clear that this is not a change in phillosophy. A no-huddle offense is meant to be agressive. it is meant to keep a high tempo pace, and catch defenses off guard and out of position. The way it is being called now is much too slow, and much too simple to catch anyone off guard or out of position. But, the jury is still out, as the Bills are without future Hall of Famer Terrell Owens who remains out of action with a toe injury.

This brings us back to Dick Jauron, who seems to be feeling the heat as evident by his press conference statements. He now understands that it is time to change certain things. The problem is, he hasnt changed anything, nor will he. Thats just his style. Lets call it, "pulling a Dick."

So assuming Jauron will continue "pulling a Dick" the entire season which is the most likely thing to happen. Ralph Wilson will be selecting a new candidate. We can only hope it is one who has proven himself.

Enter Brian Billick.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/BrianBillick.jpg

85-67 record
5-3 in the playoffs
1 Super Bowl appearance, 1 Super Bowl Victory
1 AFC Championship

Brian Billick may not be the coach of choice for alot of Bills fans given the possible options of a Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, or Marty Shotenheimer. There are also alot of first timer options that will be entering the 2010 head coach free for all as well. We all know that Ralph may want to keep it "in the family" with Bobby April too.

But, Billick may be the best option for a team that should be focusing more on being a shut down defensive powerhouse with an aggressive running attack balanced with a solid passer who keeps defenses honest. Thats what Bill likes.

He is one of those coaches who will try to stop you on defense, not by bend but dont break, but by let the dogs loose and go kill me some quarterbacks.

Why cant Jauron do that? Because hes Jauron.

Billick also realizes the importance of an offense who plays aggressively. While his tenure at Baltimore was not known for offensive prowess, Billick started off as the Vikings OC.

In his seven years with Minn. Billick went to the playoffs six times and the Viking's offense set a whole bunch of records with Billick calling the plays.

Billick also knows how to take an under five hundred team with some talent, but no winning experience at turn it around. When he arrived at Baltimore he took the Ravens and gave them their best record in their history at the time (8-8). The next season he moved forward instead of standing still (A.K.A. pulling a Dick.) The Ravens finished 12-4 and won the Super Bowl.

He continued to have great seasons for the rest of his career with Baltimore posting records of 10-6, 10-6, 9-7 and 13-3. He only finished fourth in the division once in nine seasons.

The Bills need a coach that will put a defense on the field who will provide stops when the team needs it, and big plays on a consistent basis. The Bills need a coach who can put an offense on the field who at least takes some chances. Who plays to win, instead of playing not to lose.

Because Ive found that if you play not to lose and put no effort towards winning, you generally fail at your initial objective.

In other words, you pull a Dick.

I dont know about you guys, but I am sick of pulling a Dick. Im ready for it to end. I think the fan base deserves to see their favorite team win, and that requires a coach who knows what hes doing.

Brian Billick in '10???

:dance:

your thoughts?

Mudflap1
08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I am in agreement. Billick would be a solid choice, and he would probably come to Buffalo. Forget Shanny and Cowher, they want more power, and Ralph won't shell out the dollars for them. I would take Marty too, and he's got Bills ties along with small market football experience, so he would be good.

justasportsfan
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I am in agreement. Billick would be a solid choice, and he would probably come to Buffalo. Forget Shanny and Cowher, they want more power, and Ralph won't shell out the dollars for them. I would take Marty too, and he's got Bills ties along with small market football experience, so he would be good.
the thing with Marty though , you have to have a good GM. Buttler was the one behind Brees/LT and most of the talent decisions that made Marty successful in SD.

T-Long
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
who's Bill Billick?

KIDDING!

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Thats another point I forgot to add. Billick would probably be the only big name to come to Buffalo. Marty would do it too I think.

sdbillsfan2
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't see Cowher or Shanahan ever coaching the Bills. I've always like Billick and he'd probably be my second choice behind Marty . I still think Marty got the shaft here in SD . The reason being , he and the GM were always at odds.
Marty's intensity just might be what the Bills need. Question for me is , what's his relationship with Ralph since the old days when Marty wore a bills uni ?

elltrain22
08-27-2009, 07:35 PM
First off, great post as usual. I'd be happy w/ Billick, but Cowher & Shanny are more attractive to me.

elltrain22
08-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I think Billick is a realistic possibility, not so much for Cowher or Shanny

DraftBoy
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Can we save the next HC talk till we actually have an opening for a new HC?

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Can we save the next HC talk till we actually have an opening for a new HC?
What? Dick hasnt been fired yet? :couch:

Dying_-2-_Live
08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I could see Billick wearing a Bills cap on sundays ;)

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I could see Billick wearing a Bills cap on sundays ;)

Its more of a possibility that shan or the chin...

Dying_-2-_Live
08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
[quote=BillsWin]Its more of a possibility that shan or the chin...[/quote

We need a coach with some fire. If Jauron could start cracking the whip... He just might beable to produce a winning team.

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
[quote=BillsWin]Its more of a possibility that shan or the chin...[/quote

We need a coach with some fire. If Jauron could start cracking the whip... He just might beable to produce a winning team.

you can tell he feels the heat. His problem isnt a lack of sense or knowledge. hes a smart guy with alot of football experience. He just refuses to change his way of doing things. And that way is not working. Ideally you adapt and change your coaching style to put a winner on the field. He just refuses to do that.

Dying_-2-_Live
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
[quote=Dying_-2-_Live]

you can tell he feels the heat. His problem isnt a lack of sense or knowledge. hes a smart guy with alot of football experience. He just refuses to change his way of doing things. And that way is not working. Ideally you adapt and change your coaching style to put a winner on the field. He just refuses to do that.

Exactly... There have many games under Jaurons wings where the team seemed flustered, confused and just down right unprepared. Coachs are meant to get the team ready to play... not make new drinking buddies

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Russ Brandon is also a problem... Not too big of one, he has brought us some talent. but you cant play chess without all the pieces.

DMBcrew36
08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
#1. What established, successful coach would want to come to Buffalo?
#2. Since when have the Bills been willing to dole out the cash required to attain a real, proven head coach?

FlyingDutchman
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Number 1 choice for me is Marty hands down. He brings an energy and an intensity that this team has been lacking for years. Players love him, and it would be great to have a coach who actually showed an emotion.

SABURZFAN
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
my opinion of the nexy HC will that he'll be some handpicked schmoe by the Old Fart at a cheap price.

LtFinFan66
08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
how about you get rid of the current coach first:idunno:

SABURZFAN
08-27-2009, 09:27 PM

they should have done that last year but the Old Fart was drunk on Geritol.

FlyingDutchman
08-27-2009, 09:33 PM

matter of time my man...matter of time...

Hemlepp53
08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I would take any of the above. My first choice would be Gruden or Shan. Then in no special order Cowher, Marty, Martz, Turner, Mariucci, Crennel (dont kill me.. better than DICK), Haslett..... If we got any of the above we would be heading in the right direction.

Hemlepp53
08-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Great post BTW...

BillsWin
08-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I would take any of the above. My first choice would be Gruden or Shan. Then in no special order Cowher, Marty, Martz, Turner, Mariucci, Crennel (dont kill me.. better than DICK), Haslett..... If we got any of the above we would be heading in the right direction.

Any of those coaches are a move forward. Right now this team has talent, but noone to coach it. Out of the people you mentioned, my top four would be:

Cowher
Marty
Grueden
Mariucci

Realistically speaking I really only see Billick, Mariucci, Marty and Crennel being coaxed into a job in Buffalo. Cowher would want full control, Turner the same, Shan the same. Mariucci probably would go for it. From my understanding hes comfortable where he is. Not to mean he couldnt be convinced to coach again. Gruedens got the itch, but do you really see him going for Buffalo? Marty may like the idea more then any other coach on that list. But for some reason Ive always thought Billick is a Buffalo kind of guy.

Typ0
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
The team has lacked good QB play for years. It's hard to bash a coach like DJ gets consistently when the QB play has clearly been so bad. For one thing, I like the conservative approach when you don't have the personnel to put teams away in the first half. You can go out there and play wide open but you are going to lose just as many games as you win with that style. Your best bet is to tone things down and fight to control the game the way you want to control it--then you just let the big opportunities come to you. That's what all the succesful teams do. Unfortunately we haven't gotten the QB play for any big opportunities to come our way on offense since DB left. He had some downfalls but he could get things done sometime.

It seems a lot of people want the excitement. They don't like that the team isn't flashy. I would say a lot of those same people were big on JP because he had a ton of promise for flash physically but no idea how to get it done. They also don't like DJ because he isn't flailing around screaming on the sidelines because we are losing. In a professional situation acting like that is silly. DJ might look like Frankenstein and be placid but neither of those things are really contributors to success or failure as a coach -- continually to use them as arguements against the person also seems silly.

As far as the no huddle goes, it looks to me like they are running the no huddle they just aren't doing it very well yet. But I like what they are doing and am seeking consistency not flash. They are going to be able to gain a lot of game control by using the no huddle the way they do. That doesn't mean they want to rush things they just want to gain control of when they rush things. They can make choices that limit substitutions at any time for example. They will continue to hurry the game up as they get first downs as well...without that they are going to look so to protect the defense.

I think we are going to see at least this year and next year with DJ. They've already decided this year is a real long shot in terms of the overall talent on the team that is getting better but not quite there yet. Because of this, they can afford to try and breed a QB they believe in without throwing away their window of opportunity. If TE doesn't get it done this year we will draft a QB AND get a proven veteran in here if one is available and wants to play here. This run through "regimes" has gotten very stale for everyone, ownership, management, players, fans.

Prov401
08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Honestly, my top two choices are Billick and Gruden. Both get the best out of their players, and both have rings. I'm going to enjoy watching MNF this year because Gruden is such an X's and O's coach, and I can't wait to see him disect plays. I would love Cowher or Shanahan, but yea, just like every post above me, those two are probably not going to happen. I don't believe Dungy or Holmgren are truly done, but I also don't think they'll be back any time soon. And Schottenheimer, as much as I love his training camps, and the passion he has for this game, he can never really win the big games. Anyway, I agree with the post. Billick would be great for this team. He always seems to bring in great defensive minds, (Marvin Lewis/Rex Ryan), and he always has a competitive/prepared team. We should just start campaining for him in week 2 at the Ralph. Bring signs... "Billick in 2010".

The Juice Is Loose
08-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I want John Gruuuuuudeeeeennnn

justasportsfan
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
The team has lacked good QB play for years. It's hard to bash a coach like DJ gets consistently when the QB play has clearly been so bad. For one thing,
then he shouldn't have annointed and talked up Trent. He should've asked for a draft or ask to trade for a qb.

justasportsfan
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Honestly, my top two choices are Billick and Gruden. Both get the best out of their players, and both have rings. I'm going to enjoy watching MNF this year because Gruden is such an X's and O's coach, and I can't wait to see him disect plays. I would love Cowher or Shanahan, but yea, just like every post above me, those two are probably not going to happen. I don't believe Dungy or Holmgren are truly done, but I also don't think they'll be back any time soon. And Schottenheimer, as much as I love his training camps, and the passion he has for this game, he can never really win the big games. Anyway, I agree with the post. Billick would be great for this team. He always seems to bring in great defensive minds, (Marvin Lewis/Rex Ryan), and he always has a competitive/prepared team. We should just start campaining for him in week 2 at the Ralph. Bring signs... "Billick in 2010".
Gruden inherited a great team from Dungy. He couldn't maintain it after that sb win and the team went on a downward spiral.

Whoever we bring in should have the balls and brains to stick it to the standard of not only the AFCE but the NFL, BB.

jdbillsfan
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Gruden inherited a great team from Dungy. He couldn't maintain it after that sb win and the team went on a downward spiral.

Whoever we bring in should have the balls and brains to stick it to the standard of not only the AFCE but the NFL, BB.

Didn't he build the raider team that made it to the Super Bowl though?

Prov401
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Didn't he build the raider team that made it to the Super Bowl though?

Yes he did.

Gruden is a fine coach.

Akhippo
08-29-2009, 12:29 AM
First, Marty and Dungy are done coaching. Period.

The short list would have to be
Cowher - Give him whatever he wants.
Shanahan - Everything but GM power.
Billick - Could he possibly bring with him Marvin Lewis if canned?
Gruden - Only worried about his rotating QB's. Does he like the Tampa 2?
Holmgren - Fits to Trents strengths. Would he be ready to come back in 10?

NO to Mariucci and Turner and def. Crennel, Martz, and Haslett.

How about instead of the older Schottenheimer, how about his son.

Our front office would be best to admit they cant pull a rookie head coach out of a hat. They need a track record to go by. Thats why they need to go with experience. And actually look at the track record. Jauron anybody? A loser is a loser is a loser.

BillsWin
08-29-2009, 12:33 AM
i liked ur post hippo.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Its gunna happen...

CoolBreeze
08-30-2009, 10:40 AM
the thing with Marty though , you have to have a good GM. Buttler was the one behind Brees/LT and most of the talent decisions that made Marty successful in SD.

Schottenheimer sucks... Butler is the one who started the dismantling of the Bills. Starting with the Erik Flowers pick. He also put the Bills in salary cap hell. I personally agree with this thread that Billick would be a good fit.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Schottenheimer sucks... Butler is the one who started the dismantling of the Bills. Starting with the Erik Flowers pick. He also put the Bills in salary cap hell. I personally agree with this thread that Billick would be a good fit.

coolbreeze is on board!!! WOO! HERE COMES THE BILLICK TRAIN!!!

baalworship
08-30-2009, 11:21 AM
John Gruden is everything Jauron is not. A wizard with the X and O's and he has fire. Gruden won in Oakland for crying out loud! Also he has a Superbowl ring and is young.

The only drawback to Gruden is likes older veteran QB's but hopefully he can develop someone with our high 1st round pick.

MassEffect218435
08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/340x-2.jpg

jimbohastle51
08-30-2009, 11:34 AM
though brian billick would actually be a obvious choice (very smart, well mannered, well spoken, lots of expirience and a super bowl championship as well as coming relatively cheap because of some monster big names out there to be hired that are going to recieve high salaries) i think more a choice for buffalo will be a bigger name. wheather we like it or not you can assume on of the big 3 will get an interview in buffalo gruden, shannahan, and cowher. but cowher will not take a job with buffalo (sorry people it isnt happening) and shanahan is going to want to go to a team that basically gives him unlimited control over football finances as he had in denver. gruden i believe would get an interview, but the 2 guys i think you should watch out for are herm edwards, and steve marriucci. marriucci is from the greater detroit area where wilson is from and they do know each other as well as a welth of football knoweledge and multiple playoff appearences he is a guy that is also familiar with T.O. very familiar! and if any of you think that a team that has problems generating income is going to let the T.O. dollars go after this year (depending on his play, which is always above average) you are crazy! and i am sure a stipuation with the new coach would be you are dealing with our reciever so we can have our new money! second comes edwards who is a very high character guy and extremelly well liked around the league. he also has coached and done pretty well in our division. the guy also builds a nice defense and is known to let the front office do there jobs. remember guys he was only in KC for 3 years and carl peterson ran that show, and everyone knew it!

SABURZFAN
08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
my opinion of the next HC will that he'll be some handpicked schmoe by the Old Fart at a cheap price.

i still stand by my post. :mad:

paladin warrior
08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
What? Dick hasnt been fired yet? :couch: What IF Dick.J got a heart attack. Ralph will call Brain Billick right away. Plus Pls Ralph dont gave him cheap money

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
What IF Dick.J got a heart attack. Ralph will call Brain Billick right away. Plus Pls Ralph dont gave him cheap money

It could happen.