PDA

View Full Version : Lankster, our punt returner?

TigerJ
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
This is kind of a followup to earlier threads pointing to an old article highlighting Ellis Lankster's athleticism and experience as a college CB and returner.

Chris Brown is reporting that Lankster may get an opportunity to return punts on Saturday versus the Steelers.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/lankster-to-get-return-opportunity/0e21e588-7c32-4541-84e0-22dd584383c6

I'm glad to hear they're at least exploring the idea. If Lankster makes the team, he's not going to get a lot of time on the field as a CB despite being an interception machine at training camp. If he proves to be a solid punt returner, that could be a good option should Roscoe Parrish find himself the odd man out at WR. I wonder too about kick returns. You don't generally want to expose your starting CBs (McGee and McKelvin) to injury by having them return a lot of kicks, even though we know both are pretty talented return men.

bigbub2352
08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
if he does well could fuel parrish trade talks as well

yordad
08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Good news Tiger.

psubills62
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
if he does well could fuel parrish trade talks as well

Eh, not so sure about that. I don't think this is anything signficant, just another reason for Lankster to show why he should make the team as depth in multiple places.

If anyone is going to replace Parrish at punt returns, it would be McKelvin. That was his specialty in college (I believe 7 of his 8 TD returns in college were off of punts). I'd guess McGee or someone else could replace McKelvin on kick returns. Fred Jackson also did very well last year in place of an injured Parrish.

If Parrish doesn't show anything this year, he's become expendable at his one area of specialty.

Michael82
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
This is great to hear. When I heard he returned kicks and punts in college, it really made me wonder why the **** they weren't using him there in the first few pre-season games instead of Bruce Hall, who won't make the roster.

Hemlepp53
08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Toss him out there and see what he brings to the table in regards to the return game....

madness
08-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Word is Parrish was our #2 last week to showcase his skills for teams interested.

Now it looks like he isn't going anywhere.

Typ0
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
or we're going to cut him.

Ebenezer
08-28-2009, 01:59 PM
This is great to hear. When I heard he returned kicks and punts in college, it really made me wonder why the **** they weren't using him there in the first few pre-season games instead of Bruce Hall, who won't make the roster.
based on his play last week Lankster isn't making the team, either.

mysticsoto
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Lankster showed much more potential in the previous game than Bruce Hall has ever shown. In any case, we are stacked at RB. We may or may not be keeping McGee next year, in which case, Lankster's development becomes much more crucial. Lastly, Hall wasn't drafted. Lankster was, likely meaning the coaches view him alot higher in terms of potential...

trapezeus
08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
parrish would be even better on a team that forces the opposing team to punt.

Michael82
08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
based on last week, 90% of the team deserves to be cut.

Mr. Pink
08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a sign that the Bills are really willing to let Roscoe take his wares elsewhere.

thenry20
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't think this'll make him field all punts when the season starts but would add much needed depth if he proves to be exceptional at this. Once again the coaching staff is slow to discover what our boys are good at. Since Roscoe doesn't get much PT, why not use him to return kicks as well? I know Leodis is great here but why risk him to injury since he's going to be a starter now? I'm surprised we haven't tried those young WR's in these two roles up to this point.

jamze132
08-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Eh, not so sure about that. I don't think this is anything signficant, just another reason for Lankster to show why he should make the team as depth in multiple places.

If anyone is going to replace Parrish at punt returns, it would be McKelvin. That was his specialty in college (I believe 7 of his 8 TD returns in college were off of punts). I'd guess McGee or someone else could replace McKelvin on kick returns. Fred Jackson also did very well last year in place of an injured Parrish.

If Parrish doesn't show anything this year, he's become expendable at his one area of specialty.
Sorry but I don't want my starters returning kicks or punts. I am hoping that Lankster can return some kicks too but I don't know about that one.

mysticsoto
08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
based on last week, 90% of the team deserves to be cut.

Including the coaching staff...

DraftBoy
08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Lankster showed much more potential in the previous game than Bruce Hall has ever shown. In any case, we are stacked at RB. We may or may not be keeping McGee next year, in which case, Lankster's development becomes much more crucial. Lastly, Hall wasn't drafted. Lankster was, likely meaning the coaches view him alot higher in terms of potential...

I dont think drafting him means anything this team drafted CB Kennard Cox two years ago and cut him before camp was even over.

jimbohastle51
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
guaranteed this kid makes the 53 if for no other reason than he will be picked up by another team long before we could sneak him on the practice squad. no way he doesnt make it, PERIOD. bye bye youboty.

mysticsoto
08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I dont think drafting him means anything this team drafted CB Kennard Cox two years ago and cut him before camp was even over.

Whoever gave the thumbs up for drafting Cox should have gotten fired. It was obvious to me that was a waste of a pick the minute they called it out!!!

Jan Reimers
08-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Wasn't Lankster a rather pedestrian return man at WVU?