X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wittman21
    • Feb 2009

When the Bills play @ Dallas sometime

Lets say that Edwards get rushed out of the pocket on a 3rd and 7 play from the 40 yard line. We are playing in Dallas, and there are no recievers open and no room for him to run. What if Edwards instead of throwing the ball out of bounds he just chucked it at the big video board over the field. If the ball hits there (30 yards) then we can replay the down.
    I'm not sure if it is possible, I have never seen a QB throw a ball straight up in the air. Maybe Edwards can't do it, but strong arm QB's (Cutler, Russel, etc) may be able to. Would that be something you practice before the game and then later use it if you need to..

Just asking opinions, I can see this board being a problem sometime, probably during the next SB....
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: When the Bills play @ Dallas sometime

if you are being chased out of the pocket I doubt you would have much of a chance to set up and launch the ball as hard as you could straight up and guarentee you hit the scoreboard... because if you didn't well then now you have a jump ball for an INT

in other words I don't ever see a team taking that gamble

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

I think he would get called for intentional grounding. Here is the rule:

Originally posted by Intentional Grounding Rule
      Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).
      If the refs think he was throwing a pass without a chance of completion, they will call grounding. If he were outside the pocket it would probably be debatable, but I think they would call it if they think he was throwing it at the scoreboard on purpose (which he would be).

BTW, the NFL "do-over" ruling covered punts, not passes. I think a pass would be called grounding or just incomplete.

Comment

• Hemlepp53
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Wittman21
        Lets say that Edwards get rushed out of the pocket on a 3rd and 7 play from the 40 yard line. We are playing in Dallas, and there are no recievers open and no room for him to run. What if Edwards instead of throwing the ball out of bounds he just chucked it at the big video board over the field. If the ball hits there (30 yards) then we can replay the down.
        I'm not sure if it is possible, I have never seen a QB throw a ball straight up in the air. Maybe Edwards can't do it, but strong arm QB's (Cutler, Russel, etc) may be able to. Would that be something you practice before the game and then later use it if you need to..

Just asking opinions, I can see this board being a problem sometime, probably during the next SB....
        Creative... Dont think it would work for the above stated reasons with the Refs. Very Creative ... I like that form of thinking...
        @Hemlepp53

Comment

Working...
        X