• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Bell favored at LT?

From this, it sounds as though Bills coaches want Bell to start over Walker... kind of strange, to me. I thought Walker had been doing decently at LT. Not great, but decent. And it didn't sound like Bell was all THAT good. I guess we'll find out during the season.

When Langston Walker takes the field at left tackle Saturday night, do not assume that's what the Buffalo Bills prefer.

Sources close to the team tell me there's a growing belief among some coaches on Dick Jauron's staff that Demetrius Bell should be the left tackle when the regular season opens Sept. 14 against the New England Patriots.

Offensive coordinator Turk Schonert is said to prefer Bell because he has outperformed Walker and would give Buffalo the best chance to win.

That's disconcerting news for a team that was comfortable plugging Walker into the critical blind-side protector role vacated by the trade of two-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters.

Bell has gotten some first-team reps in practices and preseason games. That hasn't been by accident.

Bell's progress, however, has been interrupted by a back injury that Jauron has labeled "week to week." He was carted off the practice field Monday and hasn't been able to practice. He already has been ruled out for Saturday night's exhibition against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field.

That part of Buffalo's staff favors Bell speaks as much about the club's dissatisfaction over Walker's inadequacies as it does Bell's development.

Bell was drafted in the seventh round last year out of Northwestern State as a project. He was deactivated for 15 games, and didn't get on the field for the only game he suited up.

Walker is entering his eighth NFL season and started all 16 games in each of his past three seasons. He's a natural right tackle, but the Bills were relying on his experience when they traded Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles and chose not to draft a tackle.

Bills fans have been intrigues by Bell's development, even comparing him to Peters. The Bills signed Peters as an undrafted tight end and converted him into one of the NFL's most dominant tackles when he's on his game.

If Bell is able to win the job from Walker, it will make the Bills' offensive line even more inexperienced. Rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre are expected to be the starting guards on opening night.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • -Brandon-
    • Aug 2008

Re: Bell favored at LT?

I hope this is the case. I want to see a line of Bell-Levitre-Hag-Wood-Walker come opening day. Walker seems too big to be an effective left tackle, his mobility(or lack thereof) bothers me.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I think the Bills have known all along that Bell is very athletic and has great upside as a left tackle. They probably feared he would not be ready to take that major step up this soon. That's why they had penciled in Walker as the starting LT. Walker is clearly better suited to be a RT. It's impossible to predict how fast a young player will progress, but if Bell is ready, this is clearly good news for the Bills as it instantly gives them some good depth with Butler as a swing man. The big "if" in this scenario is the question of how Butler would handle a demotion after starting for a couple years.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Lexwhat
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
        http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...of-choice.html

From this, it sounds as though Bills coaches want Bell to start over Walker... kind of strange, to me. I thought Walker had been doing decently at LT. Not great, but decent. And it didn't sound like Bell was all THAT good. I guess we'll find out during the season.
        If you remember, we had a debate about this a few weeks ago... I have NEVER trusted Walker to be a Left Tackle -- I've had it as my Sig for a long time now.

This has nothing to do with Peters either. This has everything to do with the Bills not drafting a Tackle and thinking that Walker could handle the LT position in the first place.

Now we're stuck with Demetrius Bell (who is the definition of "raw") to fill in the most important O-Line position with 2 weeks to go until the regular season.

This O-Line could very well be worse than the one we had during the Donohoe era.

Ridiculous.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
          I think the Bills have known all along that Bell is very athletic and has great upside as a left tackle. They probably feared he would not be ready to take that major step up this soon. That's why they had penciled in Walker as the starting LT. Walker is clearly better suited to be a RT. It's impossible to predict how fast a young player will progress, but if Bell is ready, this is clearly good news for the Bills as it instantly gives them some good depth with Butler as a swing man. The big "if" in this scenario is the question of how Butler would handle a demotion after starting for a couple years.
          This isn't really "good news." If you read the article by Tim Graham, the Bills are very dissatisfied with Walker at LT. That's the primary reason they want to throw Bell into the fire from Day 1.

As far as Butler goes, the guy is so average, and is extremely overrated by Bills fans. He's not horrible, but he's not a bonafide starter either.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            • May 2009

this team is such a bleeping mess. i'm so glad i didn't get season tickets. i would much rather have 500 dollars and watch them blow on t.v.

Comment

• Scumbag College
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
              this team is such a bleeping mess. i'm so glad i didn't get season tickets. i would much rather have 500 dollars and watch them blow on t.v.
              It's almost funny how out of sorts this team is. I mean it's one cluster-f after another for the Bills.
              Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                This isn't really "good news." If you read the article by Tim Graham, the Bills are very dissatisfied with Walker at LT. That's the primary reason they want to throw Bell into the fire from Day 1.

As far as Butler goes, the guy is so average, and is extremely overrated by Bills fans. He's not horrible, but he's not a bonafide starter either.
                I suppose you could say that it's bad news if Walker at left tackle is a failure. It's good news if Bell is ready to step in and take over.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

You guys are finally realizing why I blew a gasket over this crappy front office. Who lets their LG and LT go without legitimate replacements?

Walker sucking at LT is a shock when his natural position is RT and Oakland made the same mistake with this experiment?
                  Last edited by HHURRICANE; 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
                    I suppose you could say that it's bad news if Walker at left tackle is a failure. It's good news if Bell is ready to step in and take over.

Scenario 1: Bell ends up playing okay at LT, and Walker goes back to RT where he belongs: Ideal, positive situation.

Scenario 2: Bell plays just as bad at LT as Walker is playing right now, and Walker goes back to RT: This is better than scenario #3, since we at least have some stability at the RT position. Overall, our O-Line still SUCKS though.

Scenario 3: Bell plays worse at LT than Walker is right now: I guess this is a wash with what we have now, since Bell can at least get experience at LT. Our O-Line SUCKS again.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Bell has clearly outperformed Walker at LT. He is extremely solid in pass pro and his athleticism is evident.

He looks like a grateful 2006 verison of Jason Peters.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

I see nothing in this article about Walker going back to RT. It could be that the coaching staff feels that Butler has done well there, and that Walker will be a backup.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• zone
                          No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          I see nothing in this article about Walker going back to RT. It could be that the coaching staff feels that Butler has done well there, and that Walker will be a backup.
                          Not a chance.
                          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

sounds like levi jones should be getting a phone call.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• casdhf
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              Bell has clearly outperformed Walker at LT. He is extremely solid in pass pro and his athleticism is evident.

He looks like a grateful 2006 verison of Jason Peters.
                              Peters looked grateful in 2006 too.
                              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

Working...
                              X