• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

STOP saying "preseason doesn't matter."

Some of you are forgetting a key component of that. RESULTS- W/L, statistics- do not matter in preseason. You don't get anything for being the best QB in preseason or having your team go 4-0. And you don't get the #1 overall draft pick for going 0-4.

However, PERFORMANCE absolutely matters. Teams do not get magically better or magically worse once the regular season starts. Everyone says "well it's a vanilla O" or "the D didn't game plan." Well guess what? Those statements apply to our opponents too.

So far this off-season, the Patriots' O looks like it's clicking again. The Bills look like they have trouble on the OL and DL and still can't handle a 3-4. At this point, what evidence is there that the Pats' O will slow down? What evidence is there that the Bills can overcome a good 3-4 D? Absolutely none.

If the offense is too predictable, a full game plan may fix that. If the OL is getting blown off the ball and the DL is getting no pressure whatsoever, no amount of game planning or opening up the playbook will fix that. Preseason DOES matter and it does provide at least some evidence of how the team will perform.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: STOP saying "preseason doesn't matter."

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Everyone says "well it's a vanilla O" or "the D didn't game plan." Well guess what? Those statements apply to our opponents too.
    No, actually, they don't. Green Bay, for example, did game plan against us.

You'll get full agreement from me that players getting beat physically is a bad pre-season sign - and that it's happening. Also, things like mental errors are important to watch for.

The fact is that pre-season is not irrelevant, but it's not completely relevant for some things, either. And I'll agree that for the things that it *is* relevant for, the signs are not very good.
    Last edited by MikeInRoch; 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

preseason doesnt matter.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
        • Jul 2002

Preseason DOES matter.

I heard someone on ESPN radio make the quote yesterday that "preseason games don't count, but they do matter".

This is so true if you aren't executing, are getting beat physically, or making mental mistakes. It's not like you will be able to flip a switch on week one of the regular season and make these things go away.

Especially if you're playing the Patriots in their house on MNF.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Our starting offense has scored 3 points in four games while giving up 5 turnovers.

I would say the pre-season should be extremely important to our team... but unfortunately Club Jauron thinks otherwise.

edited
          Last edited by jamze132; 08-30-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

although i agree that the preseason can be an indicator of what your team will look like, remember that we looked pretty damn good last year against the eventual super bowl champions. you see how last year turned out after that. lol
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Preseason games are not a good indicator of regular season success. That is pretty well established by multiple examples.

There are going to be a lot of mistakes made in preseason, and even early in the regular season. You hope to see some improvement over time in execution, but other than that it really doesn't matter.

Comment

• Thurmal
                • Oct 2005

It didn't matter in the early '90's because the team was awesome and had nothing to prove. Kelly and Co. played like three plays, then the backups (who were also solid) came in and just went through the motions. They were Super Bowl contenders, and the preseason was just a necessary hassle that they had to endure.

Now, however, the Bills have A TON to prove. They are constantly rebuilding and have not shown any rhythm whatsoever since the last half of the 2004 season. Unlike the glory years, this team needs reps and needs to build confidence. They have done neither.
                "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

I know were gunna suck, but I still have hope. not much though... Why do you think I made the Brian Billick thread? *sigh* if only...
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                    • Jan 2003

Some of you are forgetting a key component of that. RESULTS- W/L, statistics- do not matter in preseason. You don't get anything for being the best QB in preseason or having your team go 4-0. And you don't get the #1 overall draft pick for going 0-4.

However, PERFORMANCE absolutely matters. Teams do not get magically better or magically worse once the regular season starts. Everyone says "well it's a vanilla O" or "the D didn't game plan." Well guess what? Those statements apply to our opponents too.

So far this off-season, the Patriots' O looks like it's clicking again. The Bills look like they have trouble on the OL and DL and still can't handle a 3-4. At this point, what evidence is there that the Pats' O will slow down? What evidence is there that the Bills can overcome a good 3-4 D? Absolutely none.

If the offense is too predictable, a full game plan may fix that. If the OL is getting blown off the ball and the DL is getting no pressure whatsoever, no amount of game planning or opening up the playbook will fix that. Preseason DOES matter and it does provide at least some evidence of how the team will perform.

Full agreement, I just want to get to a point where I can watch a Bills game and not spend much of it laughing at coaching errors, mental mistakes and just poor performances in general. Im still chuckling about trying to Ice our own kicker in the Hall Of Fame game.

Also, I laugh at the games now because Im getting older and I cant afford the blood pressure increases I get if I react the way I used to.
                    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

The thing really lacking in preseason is continuity. Teams have to work so hard to make sure that many people get game experience. There is never any chance for things to really get clicking.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                        The thing really lacking in preseason is continuity. Teams have to work so hard to make sure that many people get game experience. There is never any chance for things to really get clicking.
                        I agree. But tonight's game (the second to last preseason game) is the one that tends to set the tone for the regular season, because starters generally play the most time of any preseason game.

I'm going to watch to see what our starters do against a good team.

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

The last one would matter more. After (see Mad's post) that, they'll get a 2nd try at it, and practice is always a good thing. But for the most part, I don't think ps really matters. They're just a way for coaches to weed out who they don't want.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

STOP saying anything.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Im not sure whether I agree or not.

The Lions starting unit went neck and neck with the Colts starters. Is that likely to happen in the regular season? Hell no.

I think the only real thing that you can evaluate is individual performances. Maybe the performance of units... I.E. The offensive line.

Not:

Play calling
                              Schemes
                              Coverages
                              Game plans

What I will say is that we havent seen what we need to see from:

Trent Edwards
                              Brad Butler
                              The offensive line unit as a whole
                              The defensive line unit as a whole
                              Aaron Schobel
                              Keith Ellison

And with all of those things still being undeveloped or not ready for the regular season, yes, I think we still have much to be concerned about.

Thats why I will be looking specifically at those guys/areas and watching for signs of improvement.

But, no, Im not too concerned with the score or play calling on either side at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X