PDA

View Full Version : One positive as bad as the Steelers game was......

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
The defense, overall, played well. They allowed ten points and the Steelers starters played a half +. That is more than acceptable, imo.

In particular I though Keith Ellison was quite solid.

And Aaron Maybin, for a guy who had one week of practice looked very good and might provide a benefit this year if he can play like he did tonight.

1 sack and 2 or 3 tackles. He also had a couple of pressures and drilled Batch one play.

SABURZFAN
08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
BULL****!!!!!!!! they couldn't stop Pittsburgh on 3rd down. screw the individual achievements. they just didn't stink as bad as the offense.

Typ0
08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
The secondary looked like crap though. I think they converted third and long a thousand times.

Novacane
08-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Steelers were 10 for 13 at one point on 3rd downs. That's not good defense.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Granted the 3rd down defense was not good, but at the end they allowed ten points.

The goal of the defense to stop the other team from scoring. They did so. Allowing ten points is more than acceptable.

Of course, a competent offense is needed to compliment that, but that did not exist.

SABURZFAN
08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
i'm just totally ****ing disgusted with this team. :mad:

Novacane
08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
If they could have gotten off the field the offense would have had more chances and maybe been able to get something going. Also, 10 points for a half is ok but not great. The only thing good I can say about the defense is they were not as bad as the offense.

Typ0
08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
like not as bad as the offense is some kind of accomplishment.

schubbard
08-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Certainly the third down defense stunk. However, we did find a pass rush (which is certainly new...) and stopped the run quite well (Pit had 81 yards, 2.1 yards per carry). Several third down plays were close. We're making progress on D.

Now, the offense is another story...

Mr. Pink
08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
When you only give up 10 points on defense, you've put your offense in a position to win ballgames.

The defense kept the offense in the game.

Unfortunately the offense made the score look like 100-0.

SABURZFAN
08-29-2009, 10:02 PM
we did find a pass rush (which is certainly new...) and stopped the run quite well (Pit had 81 yards, 2.1 yards per carry).

i'm going to leave the board tonight on a good note. otherwise, i'm just going to continue being pissed off.

:cheers:

DMBcrew36
08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
The defense, overall, played well. They allowed ten points and the Steelers starters played a half +. That is more than acceptable, imo.

And Aaron Maybin, for a guy who had one week of practice looked very good and might provide a benefit this year if he can play like he did tonight.

1 sack and 2 or 3 tackles. He also had a couple of pressures and drilled Batch one play.

I'm sorry but I didn't find Maybin to be all that impressive. He wasn't bad, but did nothing to show me he is the answer to our severe pass rush deficiency.

Typ0
08-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry but I didn't find Maybin to be all that impressive. He wasn't bad, but did nothing to show me he is the answer to our severe pass rush deficiency.

after practicing for a week not being bad is an accomplishment. He got pressure on the QB.

casdhf
08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I thought Maybin was explosive. He was also double teamed alot ... I think when Schobel is playing next to him he'll see more one-on-one.

DMBcrew36
08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
after practicing for a week not being bad is an accomplishment. He got pressure on the QB.

I suppose. It's tough for me to get over my pessimism towards what has been a putrid pass rush.

Typ0
08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I thought Maybin was explosive. He was also double teamed alot ... I think when Schobel is playing next to him he'll see more one-on-one.

yeah it looked like they wanted to ruin him blowing his cherry. They were all over him and he beat it sometimes too. It was a good sign.

kelly2reed4six
08-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Can you blame the defense??? They barely had time to rest before they were back on the field. Any defense is going to perform below average when their damn offense goes 3 and out every time they have the ball.....

lets just pray that with having T.O. in the line up will make the difference we need. if not, wow....this will be a looooong season.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Came back from the game today. When Pit scored the first offensive TD, the D came back to the bench (right in front of us) and everyone's head was down - Stroud, Williams, Kelsay etc. slumping on the bench. In came Maybin, slapping hands with everyone of them, trying to cheer them up, "get'em next time."

His body language thoughout the game was kind of cocky, not given up. Whether he made a play or not, coming off the field, his talking to others non stop.

We liked his attitude.

yordad
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Maybin was also held on a play, but it wasn't called.

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 12:15 AM

I just watched the game via DVR and that defense was terrible. Coverage was terrible, the pass rush was nowhere to be found and the Steelers stopped themselves on most of their drives. Sorry, but this defense looks like the same crap defense as last year.

Goobylal
08-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I just watched the game via DVR and that defense was terrible. Coverage was terrible, the pass rush was nowhere to be found and the Steelers stopped themselves on most of their drives. Sorry, but this defense looks like the same crap defense as last year.
LOL! The Steelers stopped themselves? You could say this about every non-scoring drive by any team in the NFL.

But hey, there's the excuse for the offense. "They stopped themselves."

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 12:20 AM
LOL! The Steelers stopped themselves? You could say this about every non-scoring drive by any team in the NFL.

Honestly, you must have a screw loose if you think the Bills defense looked good tonight.

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 12:21 AM

But hey, there's the excuse for the offense. "They stopped themselves."

Did you even watch the game?

psubills62
08-30-2009, 12:25 AM
The secondary looked like crap though. I think they converted third and long a thousand times.

I agree with Lecter that holding Pittsburgh to 10 points (in 1 half of play, though) is pretty good. However, I agree with this more. There were a TON of times where Pittsburgh had 3rd and 8+ and still converted. The defense was horrid on third downs. Same old crap from a Jauron defense. I'm really hoping Byrd and Maybin get out there ASAP.

And yes, Maybin was double-teamed a few times. While his sack wasn't all that impressive, I was glad to see that he didn't just speed around the edge and end up 10 yards behind Ben, allowing a lane for Ben to rush for the first down. It was good to see Maybin hold his spot and end up with the sack after good coverage downfield.

Gotta say, I think it was Copeland Bryan who completely whiffed on Charlie Batch...didn't help his case for a roster spot. There may have been one or two positives, but the boatload of negatives is just too much to be able to focus on the good things that came of this game.

psubills62
08-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Another positive is that those quick little bubble screens to the WR's only went for 1-2 yards every time against our defense (from what I saw). McKelvin came up and made a good tackle on one of them. I was impressed with how those plays were handled, to be honest.

mysticsoto
08-30-2009, 12:40 AM

I agree for the most part. I thought the team overall looked better than the GB game - though they clearly still have lots to work on.

On an individual note, I thought CB Corner was great and LB Marcus Buggs played well also. Copeland may have whiffed on that one play, but it was nice to know that he can atleast get there. Has Kelsay come anywhere close??? I still think both Bryan and Ellis are outplaying him. I thought Maybin did well also for his 1st time out and look forward to him starting by the season start.

Ellison played ok, but I still feel that Harris is a harder hitter/tackler and has a better nose for the ball. I don't mind having Ellison as a backup though Buggs might be pushing for that spot...

Typ0
08-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Ellison is starting to grow on me a little. He keeps getting better. It's hard to know when that is going to stop because he plays pretty intense.

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Ellison is still not good...wait until the regular season and then let's talk.

Historian
08-30-2009, 07:04 AM
That Ryan Denney sure has a high motor!

:roflmao:

Novacane
08-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Honestly, you must have a screw loose if you think the Bills defense looked good tonight.

Anyone thinking they looked good must be comparing them against our offense. They looked average. I guess if you put average next to a terrible offense average looks good.

Jan Reimers
08-30-2009, 07:24 AM

Stop trying to cheer us up. You're ruining the Pity Fest. The Bills can do nothing right, and you know it.

Maybin? We all know Orakpo is much better.

Ellison? He's the worst LB in the league.

Please don't give us ANY reason for hope.

Jan Reimers
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh, one thing I forgot. We are Bills' fans. We hate every aspect of the team.

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Really?

2.1 yards per rush is not good enough for you? Allowing ten points not good enough for you?

I thought about not posting this thread because I knew you would come in and throw out stuff like this.

Fact is, the defense overall was not bad. They did get pressure a few times and allowed ten points. For you not the give them any credit for creating turnovers (i.e. Kyle Williams) or making plays when needed (Maybin's sack) is what is indicative of having a screw loose. There were also a number of plays that there was coverage and the receiver made a great play.

Buffalogic
08-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Holding them to 17 points in a game of totally lopsided ball possession was decent. A defense is measured though if they can get off the field, which they were clearly incapable of.

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Holding them to 17 points in a game of totally lopsided ball possession was decent. A defense is measured though if they can get off the field, which they were clearly incapable of.

It was actually 10. 7 of the points was a Trent TD pass.

Buffalogic
08-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Trent is looking bad. it's looking bleak.

Mad Bomber
08-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Really?

2.1 yards per rush is not good enough for you? Allowing ten points not good enough for you?

I thought about not posting this thread because I knew you would come in and throw out stuff like this.

Fact is, the defense overall was not bad. They did get pressure a few times and allowed ten points. For you not the give them any credit for creating turnovers (i.e. Kyle Williams) or making plays when needed (Maybin's sack) is what is indicative of having a screw loose. There were also a number of plays that there was coverage and the receiver made a great play.

Doc, this is deja vu all over again. It reminded me of last year when we lost to SF 10-3, Miami 10-3, and NE 13-0. That's 6 points in three games!!!! When your Defense gives up 13 points a game and you lose all three, it's not the D's fault.

True, they were on the field a lot and couldn't stop the Steelers' long drives, but when they did get off the field they were back on the field almost immediately.

This offense is truly offensive...

Mad Bomber
08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
It was actually 10. 7 of the points was a Trent TD pass.
Hey, look at the bright side...at least he threw ONE TD pass.

mysticsoto
08-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Doc, this is deja vu all over again. It reminded me of last year when we lost to SF 10-3, Miami 10-3, and NE 13-0. That's 6 points in three games!!!! When your Defense gives up 13 points a game and you lose all three, it's not the D's fault.

True, they were on the field a lot and couldn't stop the Steelers' long drives, but when they did get off the field they were back on the field almost immediately.

This offense is truly offensive...

The offense was bad, but let's not forget that come the regular season, Trent will have a really nice weapon to throw to that he doesn't have now. TO will create matchup problems for defenses and they will not be able to double team him AND Evans. One of them will be able to get open.

I don't know why, but Trent and Reed seem to be out of sync alot...

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Stop trying to cheer us up. You're ruining the Pity Fest. The Bills can do nothing right, and you know it.

Maybin? We all know Orakpo is much better.

Ellison? He's the worst LB in the league.

Please don't give us ANY reason for hope.

Jan, Ellison IS the worst starting LB in the NFL!

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Really?

You are reaching too much for a positive. I measure this defense against others I watch in the NFL and they aren't even close to many NFL defenses. This defense will not win us games when it counts and unfortunately it looks like they might have to this year. The offense is dreadful and this team continues to be poorly prepared and poorly coached. Sorry, but you're trying to hard to make yourself feel good going into the regular season.

By the way, good coverage doesn't count as a defensive player five yards off the WR and then making an immediate tackle. How many times do you ever see this defense making a play on the ball? How about batting a pass away? Not too many and that is how you gauge good coverage.

Philagape
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
The goal of the defense to stop the other team from scoring.

How they do it also matters.
They need to get off the field. A preseason game is not a good barometer because we don't see the first unit in the fourth quarter, when they've typically gotten worn down and give up game-ending drives.
They gave up 10 points in the time they were on the field. There's no reason to think they wouldn't have given up significantly more if they had played the whole game. Bend-but-don't-break defenses often break in the end.

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 12:50 PM
When you only give up 10 points on defense, you've put your offense in a position to win ballgames.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened last year. While the D was certainly deficient in certain areas- most notably the pass rush- for the most part, they played well enough to win ball games. They imploded a couple of times but generally they gave the O a chance to win. The O failed consistently. Now, it looks like we're seeing more of the same. The D, while not great, is good enough to get by with average offensive production. The problem is that average production is far more than what this offense is capable of.

Meathead
08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
i was reasonably happy with the defenses play

run def has been by far the best part of the whole team and likely will be for the foreseeable future. thats second only to the ability to consistently run in how to win 101

forcing teams to pass more at least begins to leverage our deep secondary. thats a glimmer of hope for pulling off upsets and bringing us some joy in Land of the Lost Season 09

Typ0
08-30-2009, 05:14 PM
And we are pretty much guaranteed crappy QB play because we pick mental midgets who can't stand up through some competition.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened last year. While the D was certainly deficient in certain areas- most notably the pass rush- for the most part, they played well enough to win ball games. They imploded a couple of times but generally they gave the O a chance to win. The O failed consistently. Now, it looks like we're seeing more of the same. The D, while not great, is good enough to get by with average offensive production. The problem is that average production is far more than what this offense is capable of.