A closer look at every pass Trent threw....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

A closer look at every pass Trent threw....

Trent Edwards had a horrible game. This was supposed to be the game the Bills found out how good they were. It was the second to last preseason game, it was on the road against the defending SB champs, and they just happen to run a 3-4 defense. We all hoped they would put it all together. But, Edwards seriously had another horrible game.

The knock coming in, and the story that is catching steam, is that Edwards is afraid to throw down field.

This game completely reminded me of the Cleveland game Trent had, where he looked like he complete lost all confidence. Seriously, there were times when it looked like he was holding it just long enough so his hand got bump and he had an excuse to throw it 10 yards out of bounds, or into the turf. It was painful to watch.

And, I really don't think the pass blocking was all that bad.

The stats say he 6/13, for 31 and an int. Horrible. But, it was actually worse then it sounded. I am going to summarize his passes as accurately as I can, dropback by dropback.

1. Hit a 4 yard hook to standing Parrish. It was in rhythm, but not on the run. No YAC.

2. Had a 5 yard pass batted down by DB. (ended 1st drive)

3. Hit 5 yards to a standing Schouman. He leaned for a 1 yard YAC.

4. Hit his elbow on Butler helmet, and the duck flew out of bounds. (ended 2nd drive)

5. 3 yard pass that was picked off and returned for 6 points. (ended 3rd drive)

6. 0 yard pass with 1 yard RAC, for 1 yard gain.

7. With time, he threw a ball way over Josh Reeds head and way out of bonds. (ended 4th drive)

8. Edwards who threw a 0 yard pass to Rhodes finally hit a receiver on the move. Rhodes gained 16 YAC yards.

9. Badly underthrew a wide open Lee evens who ran a 15-20 yard route. It looked like Edwards was trying to take a dive on the play. A defender seemed to be push on the back of his knee with one hand, but Edwards seemed to try and fall under a rusher coming up the middle. It almost looked like he was in such a hurry to get on the ground that he couldn't waste time trying to follow through.

10. Badly threw a wobbly duck on a quick pass to Josh Reed when the DB was (Gay, 22) was literally 10 yards off Reed.

11. On 3rd and 10, he held the ball too long and was sacked. (ended 5th drive)

12. Threw a -1 yard pass than gained 0 yards. (ended half)

13. Edwards threw a 1 yard pass that gained 4 yards.

14. Edwards hit as he through a wobbly duck, but he seemed to be throwing it to no one. (ended 6th drive)

The passes that he threw that were caught flew a total of 9 yards in the air. A TOTAL OF 9 YARDS IN THE AIR ON 6 CATCHES IN 13 ATTEMPTS!! He may have hit one moving target the entire game. Every pass over 5 yards looked awful. And even worse, he looked complete hesitant on every one of them. Like he didn't even want to throw it.

Every Bills drive ended with a bad play or pass from Trent.

Combine this with his pick that went for 6 and his sack that lost 5 yards.

WE ARE IN TROUBLE. Preseason or no preseason, I do not think TO can do enough. I think this offense, without TO, is worse then it was last year. He had better get and stay healthy, or this team may never score a TD vs a 3-4.

Go ahead and tell me I am painting this or spinning this. I want you to convince me. I watched the game, then I went back and fast forwarded to every one of his passes just to see if he was actually as bad as I thought. Go look for yourself.

If you think I am wrong on a play, let's here it. What say you? What do you think about this? How significant?
    Last edited by yordad; 08-29-2009, 11:57 PM.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • BADTHINGSMAN
    • Oct 2002

Re: A closer look at every pass Trent threw....

I dont think your wrong on any of those, but geez thats horrible.

Comment

• Billz_fan
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BADTHINGSMAN
      I dont think your wrong on any of those, but geez thats horrible.
      I always assumed you got your nic from the Bruce Smith commercial. I figured out tonight you got it from watching this team
      The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Billz_fan
        I always assumed you got your nic from the Bruce Smith commercial. I figured out tonight you got it from watching this team

Comment

• TheBrownBear
          • Dec 2004

You're right. Trent was/is horrible. Ever since he came out and fired those picks against Cleveland he's played scared. His confidence is completely shot and he doesn't look anything like the player that he was evolving into at the beginning of 2008.

I hate to say it, especially since I really liked what I saw out of Trent his first 10-15 games or so in a Bills uniform, but he's turning into Rob Johnson part two. I don't think he just magically regains his confidence. He's done, imo. At least until we get a competent coaching staff in here to pick up the pieces.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

If one of you frequents BBMB, and has an urge to share this post there, that could be entertaining.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

At this point, I doubt anyone will argue with you. The game as a whole was pathetic. It's extremely sad that we only got a few first downs with the offense. Edwards looked shaky, hesitant, etc. the entire time.

That being said, I still believe he deserves all or almost all of the season (if he goes 0-12, I'll be calling for Fitzpatrick for sure) to prove himself. I said it with Losman and I'll say it with Edwards. Give the guy his third year to show himself. If he regresses during the regular season, fine...let's rebuild. But at this point there isn't any point in starting Fitz over Edwards. Fitzpatrick will never be a good starter. Edwards has the ability, he just needs to put it all together. I'm still in wait and see mode from Edwards, especially since it isn't the regular season yet and Owens hasn't been out there in a while.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

I do not think Fitz is the answer, but he clearly looked better in that game.
                Last edited by yordad; 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Why is Jeff Garcia playing in OAK instead of here? They are supposed to suck and they probably will have a winning season because everything that guy touches turns to gold.

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

I truly wonder how much of a negative impact this coaching staff has had on Edwards. A good or bad coach can accelerate or ruin a guys career. Judging on what we see out of the coaching staff I truly wonder if they hurt/ruined Edwards. How does a guy get worse instead of better every week?
                    Last edited by don137; 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Typ0
                      Why is Jeff Garcia playing in OAK instead of here? They are supposed to suck and they probably will have a winning season because everything that guy touches turns to gold.
                      Because he and T O wouldnt get along just like in S.F. when they couldnt get along.
                      To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard
                        Because he and T O wouldnt get along just like in S.F. when they couldnt get along.

just insert any number of names in there of people who are starting caliber players who we need...

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Wow. I knew it was bad but 9 total yards in the air??? He was worse than I thought. WTH has happened to him?

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane
                            Wow. I knew it was bad but 9 total yards in the air??? He was worse than I thought. WTH has happened to him?
                            Happy feet on every passing down. Instead of seeing his progressions, he was looking for the closest check-down receiver after 1.5 seconds.

He looked so CLUELESS last night it was sickening. Absolutely LOST.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I actually think that Trent is getting massacred here way too hard. The o-line struggled at times, Parrish ran some awful routes, and yes Edwrads never got his rythm.

Not ready to roll onto the Fitz bandwagon yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X