PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at every pass Trent threw....

yordad
08-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Trent Edwards had a horrible game. This was supposed to be the game the Bills found out how good they were. It was the second to last preseason game, it was on the road against the defending SB champs, and they just happen to run a 3-4 defense. We all hoped they would put it all together. But, Edwards seriously had another horrible game.

The knock coming in, and the story that is catching steam, is that Edwards is afraid to throw down field.

This game completely reminded me of the Cleveland game Trent had, where he looked like he complete lost all confidence. Seriously, there were times when it looked like he was holding it just long enough so his hand got bump and he had an excuse to throw it 10 yards out of bounds, or into the turf. It was painful to watch.

And, I really don't think the pass blocking was all that bad.

The stats say he 6/13, for 31 and an int. Horrible. But, it was actually worse then it sounded. I am going to summarize his passes as accurately as I can, dropback by dropback.

1. Hit a 4 yard hook to standing Parrish. It was in rhythm, but not on the run. No YAC.

2. Had a 5 yard pass batted down by DB. (ended 1st drive)

3. Hit 5 yards to a standing Schouman. He leaned for a 1 yard YAC.

4. Hit his elbow on Butler helmet, and the duck flew out of bounds. (ended 2nd drive)

5. 3 yard pass that was picked off and returned for 6 points. (ended 3rd drive)

6. 0 yard pass with 1 yard RAC, for 1 yard gain.

7. With time, he threw a ball way over Josh Reeds head and way out of bonds. (ended 4th drive)

8. Edwards who threw a 0 yard pass to Rhodes finally hit a receiver on the move. Rhodes gained 16 YAC yards.

9. Badly underthrew a wide open Lee evens who ran a 15-20 yard route. It looked like Edwards was trying to take a dive on the play. A defender seemed to be push on the back of his knee with one hand, but Edwards seemed to try and fall under a rusher coming up the middle. It almost looked like he was in such a hurry to get on the ground that he couldn't waste time trying to follow through.

10. Badly threw a wobbly duck on a quick pass to Josh Reed when the DB was (Gay, 22) was literally 10 yards off Reed.

11. On 3rd and 10, he held the ball too long and was sacked. (ended 5th drive)

12. Threw a -1 yard pass than gained 0 yards. (ended half)

13. Edwards threw a 1 yard pass that gained 4 yards.

14. Edwards hit as he through a wobbly duck, but he seemed to be throwing it to no one. (ended 6th drive)

The passes that he threw that were caught flew a total of 9 yards in the air. A TOTAL OF 9 YARDS IN THE AIR ON 6 CATCHES IN 13 ATTEMPTS!! He may have hit one moving target the entire game. Every pass over 5 yards looked awful. And even worse, he looked complete hesitant on every one of them. Like he didn't even want to throw it.

Every Bills drive ended with a bad play or pass from Trent.

Combine this with his pick that went for 6 and his sack that lost 5 yards.

WE ARE IN TROUBLE. Preseason or no preseason, I do not think TO can do enough. I think this offense, without TO, is worse then it was last year. He had better get and stay healthy, or this team may never score a TD vs a 3-4.

Go ahead and tell me I am painting this or spinning this. I want you to convince me. I watched the game, then I went back and fast forwarded to every one of his passes just to see if he was actually as bad as I thought. Go look for yourself.

If you think I am wrong on a play, let's here it. What say you? What do you think about this? How significant?

BADTHINGSMAN
08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I dont think your wrong on any of those, but geez thats horrible. :ill:

Billz_fan
08-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I dont think your wrong on any of those, but geez thats horrible. :ill:

I always assumed you got your nic from the Bruce Smith commercial. I figured out tonight you got it from watching this team :D

BADTHINGSMAN
08-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I always assumed you got your nic from the Bruce Smith commercial. I figured out tonight you got it from watching this team :D

:rofl::goodpost:

TheBrownBear
08-30-2009, 12:20 AM
You're right. Trent was/is horrible. Ever since he came out and fired those picks against Cleveland he's played scared. His confidence is completely shot and he doesn't look anything like the player that he was evolving into at the beginning of 2008.

I hate to say it, especially since I really liked what I saw out of Trent his first 10-15 games or so in a Bills uniform, but he's turning into Rob Johnson part two. I don't think he just magically regains his confidence. He's done, imo. At least until we get a competent coaching staff in here to pick up the pieces.

yordad
08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
If one of you frequents BBMB, and has an urge to share this post there, that could be entertaining.

psubills62
08-30-2009, 12:43 AM
At this point, I doubt anyone will argue with you. The game as a whole was pathetic. It's extremely sad that we only got a few first downs with the offense. Edwards looked shaky, hesitant, etc. the entire time.

That being said, I still believe he deserves all or almost all of the season (if he goes 0-12, I'll be calling for Fitzpatrick for sure) to prove himself. I said it with Losman and I'll say it with Edwards. Give the guy his third year to show himself. If he regresses during the regular season, fine...let's rebuild. But at this point there isn't any point in starting Fitz over Edwards. Fitzpatrick will never be a good starter. Edwards has the ability, he just needs to put it all together. I'm still in wait and see mode from Edwards, especially since it isn't the regular season yet and Owens hasn't been out there in a while.

yordad
08-30-2009, 05:18 PM
I do not think Fitz is the answer, but he clearly looked better in that game.

Typ0
08-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Why is Jeff Garcia playing in OAK instead of here? They are supposed to suck and they probably will have a winning season because everything that guy touches turns to gold.

don137
08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I truly wonder how much of a negative impact this coaching staff has had on Edwards. A good or bad coach can accelerate or ruin a guys career. Judging on what we see out of the coaching staff I truly wonder if they hurt/ruined Edwards. How does a guy get worse instead of better every week?

Owen DeBoard
08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Why is Jeff Garcia playing in OAK instead of here? They are supposed to suck and they probably will have a winning season because everything that guy touches turns to gold.
Because he and T O wouldnt get along just like in S.F. when they couldnt get along.

Typ0
08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Because he and T O wouldnt get along just like in S.F. when they couldnt get along.

just insert any number of names in there of people who are starting caliber players who we need...

Novacane
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Wow. I knew it was bad but 9 total yards in the air??? He was worse than I thought. WTH has happened to him?

Mad Bomber
08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow. I knew it was bad but 9 total yards in the air??? He was worse than I thought. WTH has happened to him?
Happy feet on every passing down. Instead of seeing his progressions, he was looking for the closest check-down receiver after 1.5 seconds.

He looked so CLUELESS last night it was sickening. Absolutely LOST.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I actually think that Trent is getting massacred here way too hard. The o-line struggled at times, Parrish ran some awful routes, and yes Edwrads never got his rythm.

Not ready to roll onto the Fitz bandwagon yet.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 09:27 PM
youre killing me yordad. This post is depressing... :sadwalk:

yordad
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
youre killing me yordad. This post is depressing... :sadwalk:I know man. This is definitely not good news. :sad:

Michael82
08-31-2009, 01:03 AM
Steve Tasker put it best. Trent Edwards prefers to throw to his receivers when they are standing there and looking at him. Trent doesn't like to throw it to players on the run. He still doesn't seem to have the trust to throw it in the air ahead of the receivers and give them a chance to make a play.

yordad
08-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Steve Tasker put it best. Trent Edwards prefers to throw to his receivers when they are standing there and looking at him. Trent doesn't like to throw it to players on the run. He still doesn't seem to have the trust to throw it in the air ahead of the receivers and give them a chance to make a play.That was pretty much the only accurate thing Tasker concluded, and he put it well.

The Popcorn
08-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Edwards will look like a different QB when Terrell Owens is back in the lineup.

Gunzlingr
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Put Hamdan in, he can't be any worse.

justasportsfan
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
hitting a wr who's standing is likely to get the wr hurt because his coverage is running forward unlike if you hit him in stride where the defender is back pedaling.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
I watch alot of non-Bills NFL football and if you truly believe a different QB is the answer at this point you are going to be very disappointed.

How many extra games did the Jets win with Favre?

Edwards is not the problem...yet.

yordad
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
I watch alot of non-Bills NFL football and if you truly believe a different QB is the answer at this point you are going to be very disappointed.

Edwards is not the problem...yet.LOL, I am just going to say I disagree. If you don't think Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger, etc. could have done better, or made this offense more productive, then I might as well try out myself.

Jimbuktu
08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
God help us.

justasportsfan
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM

While I think our coaches suck, when Fitz came in his first pass went for a 17 yard completion.

Typ0
08-31-2009, 09:27 AM

Seriously? The JETS were doing great until Favre got injured. That's a stupid analogy. TE is quivering in his boots if he has to throw a 10 yard pass. Get real.

Philagape
08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
WTH has happened to him?

It's all about the 3-4 defense. The difference that makes is drastic:

In his first two preseason games against 4-3s, he completed 13 of 14 for 113 yards, over 8 YPA.
In the last two games against 3-4s, it's 13-24 for 76 yards. The percentage plummeted from 92.8 to 54.2, and the YPA is an unthinkable 3.2. His rating is 25.6!

Last season against 4-3s:
119-176 (67.6 percent), 7.9 YPA, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 100 rating

Last season against 3-4s:
123-195 (63.1 percent), 6.6 YPA, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, 71.8 rating

We can't have half a quarterback. Four of the first six games are against 3-4s, so if he doesn't turn it around in that time, it's time to look elsewhere. It's his third year, he has to get it by now.

psubills62
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
It's all about the 3-4 defense. The difference that makes is drastic:

In his first two preseason games against 4-3s, he completed 13 of 14 for 113 yards, over 8 YPA.
In the last two games against 3-4s, it's 13-24 for 76 yards. The percentage plummeted from 92.8 to 54.2, and the YPA is an unthinkable 3.2. His rating is 25.6!

Last season against 4-3s:
119-176 (67.6 percent), 7.9 YPA, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 100 rating

Last season against 3-4s:
123-195 (63.1 percent), 6.6 YPA, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, 71.8 rating

We can't have half a quarterback. Four of the first six games are against 3-4s, so if he doesn't turn it around in that time, it's time to look elsewhere. It's his third year, he has to get it by now.

Well, fortunately it seems as though the Patriots are playing more and more in a 4-3. Although they'll probably play solely in the 3-4 for two games this season against us.

yordad
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Alot of it is the 3-4 defense. It is clear. It is the single denominator (with the exception of one game his entire career). Maybe we start Hamden when we play against it, lol.

Actually, anyone care to see how Fitz faired last year vs the 3-4?

Mahdi
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
At this point, I doubt anyone will argue with you. The game as a whole was pathetic. It's extremely sad that we only got a few first downs with the offense. Edwards looked shaky, hesitant, etc. the entire time.

That being said, I still believe he deserves all or almost all of the season (if he goes 0-12, I'll be calling for Fitzpatrick for sure) to prove himself. I said it with Losman and I'll say it with Edwards. Give the guy his third year to show himself. If he regresses during the regular season, fine...let's rebuild. But at this point there isn't any point in starting Fitz over Edwards. Fitzpatrick will never be a good starter. Edwards has the ability, he just needs to put it all together. I'm still in wait and see mode from Edwards, especially since it isn't the regular season yet and Owens hasn't been out there in a while.
Yer going to wait for 0-12?

Fitzpatrick made some very nice throws in traffic yesterday. Throws I still haven't seen Trent make.

That bullet to Jenkins was nice.

psubills62
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Yer going to wait for 0-12?

Fitzpatrick made some very nice throws in traffic yesterday. Throws I still haven't seen Trent make.

That bullet to Jenkins was nice.

Probably not. I was just using it as an example of why Edwards wouldn't end up deserving the whole year to prove himself.

Michael82
08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
hitting a wr who's standing is likely to get the wr hurt because his coverage is running forward unlike if you hit him in stride where the defender is back pedaling.
Tasker brought that up too. He said that Trent needs to learn how to trust his receivers and throw to them on the run, instead of waiting until they are stopped and letting them get crushed.

Yasgur's Farm
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Alot of it is the 3-4 defense. It is clear. It is the single denominator (with the exception of one game his entire career). Maybe we start Hamden when we play against it, lol.

Actually, anyone care to see how Fitz faired last year vs the 3-4?Why yes... Yes I would.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Actually, anyone care to see how Fitz faired last year vs the 3-4?

I'm also curious.

I'm gonna guess not well because I saw how he played against Cleveland and his overall performance.

TigerJ
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont disagee with you, though no one keeps or pas attantion to any stats relating to how many yards passes cover without YAC counted in. I do think it is mental in Trent's case. He's playing scared whether he admits it or not.

Hemlepp53
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Readiing this is like getting kicked in the nuts and mad to hold a mouthful of piss at the same time. Hurts phyically and leaves a nasty taste in ya mouth. I like Trent but something isnt right here. The coaching staff has damaged him by limiting his play. I think that has damaged his ability to sling the ball regardless of outcome. The BIG TIME QBs make mistakes and take big hits... It is how they get up and react. Trent tosses a INT and Dick wont let him air it out. The following play after a INT should be a deep pass to our WRs just to instill confidence and swagger in the QB. If we protect him with weak playcalling we are limiting his ability to overcome errors and hard hits.

DICK needs to take off the bib and let the kid **** up and Make it up thruout the game. Dick is like that MOM at the mall who puts a leash on their kids... Take off the Leash Dick and let him learn and grow from his mistakes.....

Kenny
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Readiing this is like getting kicked in the nuts and mad to hold a mouthful of piss at the same time. Hurts phyically and leaves a nasty taste in ya mouth. I like Trent but something isnt right here. The coaching staff has damaged him by limiting his play. I think that has damaged his ability to sling the ball regardless of outcome. The BIG TIME QBs make mistakes and take big hits... It is how they get up and react. Trent tosses a INT and Dick wont let him air it out. The following play after a INT should be a deep pass to our WRs just to instill confidence and swagger in the QB. If we protect him with weak playcalling we are limiting his ability to overcome errors and hard hits.

DICK needs to take off the bib and let the kid **** up and Make it up thruout the game. Dick is like that MOM at the mall who puts a leash on their kids... Take off the Leash Dick and let him learn and grow from his mistakes.....

It's easy to say it's all Jauron, -but how many times have we seen Trent do nothing but throw 5yarders to his checkdown receiver?
Are you saying that Dick called the little 5yard pass, rather than going for more yards? I doubt it. It's all on Trent being chicken ****.

And forget about the long bomb... I just want to see whether Trent can even throw the intermediate (15-20yards) stuff.

Michael82
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
It's easy to say it's all Jauron, -but how many times have we seen Trent do nothing but throw 5yarders to his checkdown receiver?
Are you saying that Dick called the little 5yard pass, rather than going for more yards? I doubt it. It's all on Trent being chicken ****.

And forget about the long bomb... I just want to see whether Trent can even throw the intermediate (15-20yards) stuff.
The worst part is that it's not a good sign when most of what he practices at camp is the 5-8 yard checkdowns, while both Hamdan and Fitzpatrick are stretching the field and throwing longer passes much more often. :ill:

Nighthawk
08-31-2009, 05:24 PM

How many QB's does this coaching staff have to make look like a pile of s**t before some of you realize that bad coaching is the major problem with this team? I'm not saying Edwards would be a superstar with a better coach, but I'm pretty sure a better coach could coach him up a ton better then Dickey.

raphael120
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
One stat I'd like to sEe is the performance of
qbs under jauron in his career as a
head coach.

Hemlepp53
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM

No... I am not saying Dick is calling a 5 yard check down... I am saying Dick hasnt allowed him to grow and learn what he is and is not capable of doing on the field by calling ball games like a Cu*t. Dick will see Trent threw a INT and will call a running play in... what Dick needs to and should of been doing since day one is when an INT is thrown call in a deep pass with limited check down options. Let Trent learn what he can do instead of Dick calling plays like a jackass to limit errors and keep it close and take what is given Bullish. TO Some it up... Trent is not who he would of been with any other coach. Dick has not allowed Trent to develope into anything but a questionable game manager....

Hemlepp53
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
One stat I'd like to sEe is the performance of
qbs under jauron in his career as a
head coach.
Hell yeah... One of you STAT Junkies.... hook us up here....

Typ0
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
That pretty much sums up how the scope of your thinking is inefficient. Don't you think it would be silly to have a play that has "limited checkdown opportunities"? What you are saying is the coach should tell the player to go out there and force in some long throws. That's going to be really productive.

No... I am not saying Dick is calling a 5 yard check down... I am saying Dick hasnt allowed him to grow and learn what he is and is not capable of doing on the field by calling ball games like a Cu*t. Dick will see Trent threw a INT and will call a running play in... what Dick needs to and should of been doing since day one is when an INT is thrown call in a deep pass with limited check down options. Let Trent learn what he can do instead of Dick calling plays like a jackass to limit errors and keep it close and take what is given Bullish. TO Some it up... Trent is not who he would of been with any other coach. Dick has not allowed Trent to develope into anything but a questionable game manager....