PDA

View Full Version : Calm down and rewatch the game!

HHURRICANE
08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
First off, I have the benefit of not expecting alot after all of the criticism but some thoughts none the less:

1) The first quarter was not that horrible but we need to abandon the no-huddle or the time of possession is going to lose us games this year. We will miss Lynch during his suspension.

2) Edwards is taking way too much of the blame here. Parrish dropped a ball because he couldn't beat his guy off the line. He got hammered. It's a no-huddle, fast pace, offense and Edwards threw the ball where Parrish was supposed to be.

3) Butler gets slammed into Edwards on 3rd down while he is throwing the ball and the ball floats out of his hand. Incompletion again. What are you guys expecting? Is Edwards supposed to block and throw at the same time?

4) The pick was Edwards fault for sure but of course he was actually watching Walker get beat and he rushed the throw. Walker gets a holding call on that play as well. If I'm Van Pelt I'm telling Edwards to stop throwing balls to his right side in his own end. He should have got picked last week on the exact same play to Nelson.

5) Our defense sucks. If Edwards had the time that Ben had he would win us alot of games.

6) We need to abandon the no-huddle now!!!!!!!! The T.O.P. is going to lose us games.

7) Bobby April for HC? Really? How many penalties did we have on special teams? Nice field position as our average start was on the 16 yard line. We have looked horrible all pre-season on special teams! HORRIBLE!!

8) Kelsay and Denney on the field together? That might be the funniest thing I've ever seen. It looked like rag dolls getting throw around. Why is Maybin and Bryan or Ellis not on the field the whole time???

Bottom line, IMO, is that the no-huddle needs Owens to work. In addition, every QB needs to get into a rythm. If Edwards struggles than you need to go to a conventional offense or you are going to lose games by the end of the first quarter.

I'm actually going to be positive and say that I don't think we actually suck. I think we will rebound this week.

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm not worried about special teams. If there has been one aspect of this team that has been good it has been ST. April will have it ironed for the regular season.

But the offense does suck and Edwards has looked terrible so far this pre-season.

The defense is not great, but does not suck either. The run defense was stellar last night.

Wait until you see the RBs on their blitz pick-up............

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
yeah, a "bend but don't break" D and a no-huddle O is a recipe for losing the TOP battle every week. Bend but don't break will ALWAYS break if the O can't keep them off the field. The idea almost defies logic, but then again, logic has never been a strong point of this coaching staff.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
HH youre the man! youve single handedly made me not be as depressed!!!

I gotta say, I like all your points. I think the offensive line needs to be rearranged. Ive defended Butler alot, but Walker could replace him on the right side, and have Bell on the Left. I love Bell and think he is much quicker and more athletic and can man the LT spot with ease. Butler can battle with Levitre.

Thats how you fix the o-line.

As for abandoning the no-huddle, I disagree. I think it can work. We just need T.O and to fix the o-line like I said.

With Evans not getting double covered, and an actual starting receiver on the outside rather than a gimic player like Parrish, I think Trent will have more confidence and hell be able to plant and throw better.

It all comes down to the o-line. If Trent has time, hell throw it where it needs to go.

START BELL!

Either way, Im happy with our defense who played well without Schobel. Maybin is encourging as well :D

McKelvin should have had a pick on the pass to Ward. It was excellent, tight coverage and he just batted his hand one split second too late.

cut Denney, start Schobel and Kelsay, while rotating Maybin in A LOT. and our pass rush looks good.

They had to double team our rookie last night!!!!! Think if we put a pro bowler across from him!!!!!!!!!! WHAT WILL THEY DO!? muhahahahaha.....

I have to save my total judgment until T.O comes back.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah 17-0 sucks, but it could have been alot worse and it is only preseason. i really dont want to panic (though its hard not to) so Im taking your word for it HH.

11-5 and the playoffs. WOO! :rocker:

gil
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I didn't watch the game, but it just sounds like the same problems we've been having forever - so in that sense, I am perfectly calm - just like Jauron, perfectly calm as the ship sinks ever so gently.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 01:31 PM
In the GB game we got torched, but our TOP was not awful. 29:08, Against the bears we had a TOP of 38:00 which is great. 27:02 in the HOF game wasnt an abomination either.

I think it just depends on how we move the ball. TOP is always a concern, but I think T.O and some changes on the line will help us hold on to the ball longer.

schubbard
08-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Wait until you see the RBs on their blitz pick-up............
Wait until when? I think we know why Rhodes changes teams so much...

Goobylal
08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I just saw the game on the NFL Network and I wasn't as dismayed after reading what everyone has been saying. I thought the defense did well overall, but had a few bone-headed plays (Whitner's late hit, missed tackles, etc.) and a some missed calls (hold on Maybin, blocks in the back, etc.). ST's were poor in the amount of penalties they took, but Moorman was the man and the penalties should work themselves out when the regular season starts.

As for offense, starting-off in a hole (average drive start was 16 yard line) hurt them, as did TO's absence. Plus they were playing the best defense in the NFL, on the road.

Get TO back, get Schobel back, and things don't look so horrible. But Trent has got to play better.

Ingtar33
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Eric Wood had a great game (that will be my only positive about the offense)

Spencer Johnson, Kyle Williams and Aaron Maybin had standout performances on defense.

BuffaloChip
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys! Good to see a post, that doesnt make me wanna jump off a building!

I didnt get to see the game last night, so when I checked the score last night on my phone, losing 17-0 wasnt what bothered me, it was the stats that scared the crap out of me. After watching the game on NFLN, I wasnt a upset as I was when I saw the stats. Wasnt good, but there were some positives in all that ugliness.

Get T.O. back & I billieve we see a totally different team, IMO!

HAMMER
08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I watched the first half this morning and I'm glad I did. It was not as bad as the stats showed. I thought the defense was solid, when they do more game planning I am confident they will be the strong suit of this team. Spencer Johnson had a great game!
The O-Line was neither good nor horrible, they will get better every week. Edwards had a rough game but I still have faith in him, having TO on the field will help him immensly. I hate that we open against NE as I would like to have a little more time for the line to come together.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I really believe that Parrish is actually a liability on offense.

Goobylal
08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I really believe that Parrish is actually a liability on offense.
It's not his fault (totally). He needs to be in-motion.

SABURZFAN
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
i saw enough watching it the first time. no thanks.

DraftBoy
08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Eric Wood had a great game (that will be my only positive about the offense)

Spencer Johnson, Kyle Williams and Aaron Maybin had standout performances on defense.

Spencer Johnson has probably been our best defensive player this pre-season. He's been consistent in getting penetration, and has held up very well at the POA.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
It's not his fault (totally). He needs to be in-motion.

You can't blame any QB for throwing a ball exactly where it's supposed to be on a timing pattern and your WR is still fighting to get off the line. Parrish was late and when you watch the replay you know why.

For all the *****ing Parrish has done about being more involved he's looked terrible.

Yes, he's great in a gadget player where he can run behind the o-line and never see a DB juking him at the line.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Chris Chambers was struggling on 3rd string. FYI.