PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, after further review...it wasn't THAT bad.

Michael82
08-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I decided to tape the game in case I missed some of it and then rewatched the first half. I know there was a lot of negatives, but I actually don't feel as depressed as I first did last night, especially when you consider that the Pittsburgh Steelers were the Super Bowl Champions and their starting defense has NOT surrendered a TD all pre-season. Anyways...here's my positives from an Optimistic Bills fan and some negatives still....

1. The Bills starting defense contained the Steelers offense pretty well for the most part. The only thing that happened was they ran out of gas from being on the field the whole first half, which is in part due to the No-Huddle and the pathetic offense.

2. Aaron Maybin looks like he is for real. I watched his sack several times and it was fun to see. He showed some good ability when he moved his feet side to side and went around the OT for the sack.

3. Leodis McKelvin looks very good. He showed some solid coverage and did a nice job containing Hines Ward most of the night. He also showed some of his usual self on that one kick return.

4. Keith Ellison. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he looked very good and was in on several tackles and showed good reaction by recovering the fumble right away.

5. Marshawn Lynch showed some of his beast mode ability and made a nice cut to break that one run. I know we gotta wait the first 3 weeks for him, but it'll be worth it. Hopefully he'll keep practicing and will be ready to go in Week 4.

6. I think i figured out why the team likes Schouman. He showed solid blocking ability on that one run and so did Butler. They plowed open a huge hole for Lynch. It was nice to see.

7. Dominic Rhodes looked decent at RB and I love watching him catch the ball. He's good at getting RAC.

8. Roscoe Parrish was a big part of the offense, but he also showed why he will never be a Steve Smith. He's too damn small and just can't break away from the defender too often. I hope they trade him.

9. Langston Walker looked better last night than last week and held his own against a pretty good defense. He still should be moved to RT, IMO. But then again...Butler hasn't done anything to lose his job. He's better at RT than I thought he would be.

10. Trent Edwards showed that deer in the headlights look. Something was definitely off with him mentally. I don't know why...he couldn't even throw the screens when he didn't have pressure all the time. I agree with others, he looked similar to Rob Johnson out there. :ill:

11. Brian Moorman looks like his usual self and was booming those punts each time. At least we got one player that is consistantly good! :D

Novacane
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Did our QB throw anything over 5 yards upon further review?

Ebenezer
08-30-2009, 02:14 PM
I decided to tape ....It was nice to see.

Do you drink? Heavily?

Michael82
08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
I decided to tape the game in case I missed some of it and then rewatched the first half. I know there was a lot of negatives, but I actually don't feel as depressed as I first did last night, especially when you consider that the Pittsburgh Steelers were the Super Bowl Champions and their starting defense has NOT surrendered a TD all pre-season. Anyways...here's my positives from an Optimistic Bills fan and some negatives still....

1. The Bills starting defense contained the Steelers offense pretty well for the most part. The only thing that happened was they ran out of gas from being on the field the whole first half, which is in part due to the No-Huddle and the pathetic offense.

2. Aaron Maybin looks like he is for real. I watched his sack several times and it was fun to see. He showed some good ability when he moved his feet side to side and went around the OT for the sack.

3. Leodis McKelvin looks very good. He showed some solid coverage and did a nice job containing Hines Ward most of the night. He also showed some of his usual self on that one kick return.

4. Keith Ellison. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he looked very good and was in on several tackles and showed good reaction by getting the fumbled ball right away.

5. Marshawn Lynch showed some of his beast mode ability and made a nice cut to break that one run. I know we gotta wait the first 3 weeks for him, but it'll be worth it. Hopefully he'll keep practicing and will be ready to go in Week 4.

6. I think i figured out why the team likes Schouman. He showed solid blocking ability on that one run and so did Butler. They plowed open a huge hole for Lynch. It was nice to see.

7. Dominic Rhodes looked decent at RB and I love watching him catch the ball. He's good at getting RAC.

8. Roscoe Parrish was a big part of the offense, but he also showed why he will never be a Steve Smith. He's too damn small and just can't break away from the defender too often. I hope they trade him.

9. Langston Walker looked better last night than last week and held his own against a pretty good defense. He still should be moved to RT, IMO. But then again...Butler hasn't done anything to lose his job. He's better at RT than I thought he would be.

10. Trent Edwards showed that deer in the headlights look. Something was definitely off with him mentally. I don't know why...he couldn't even throw the screens when he didn't have pressure all the time. I agree with others, he looked similar to Rob Johnson out there. :ill:

11. Brian Moorman looks like his usual self and was booming those punts each time. At least we got one player that is consistantly good! :D

One more thing, Tasker made an interesting point. Trent Edwards likes to throw to his receivers when they are standing there, looking at him. He doesn't trust his receivers to make the catch on the run for some strange reason. I thought that his problem was the pressure, but there was several times when Trent just wanted to throw the ball away as fast as possible, like it was a hot potato or something. Something is definitely not right with him mentally. But I can't figure it out yet.

Either way, I don't think that the No-Huddle is the answer for him. It forces him to get rid of the ball even faster and the no-huddle does NOT matchup with our bend, but don't break defense. It actually negates the bend, but don't break defense as it makes it even worse on the defensive guys. That's why they looked so good at the start of the game, but then by halftime gave up that TD. They were winded.

trapezeus
08-30-2009, 02:36 PM
at this point we are left hoping that TO makes a huge difference.....that's all we are left with. we know their defensive strategy and that hasn't worked in totality for 3 years. it is good enough to keep you in game, but the weak play calling on the offensive side is just not enough to win a game.

offense has been an issue for 9 years. we've had top rated defenses and bottom ranked defenses, yet the results are the same. you can't score on a punt return TD every game and you can't rely on your defense to put up points every week. but you should be able to ask that from your offense. and we can't.

Michael82
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Like I said on my facebook last night.... I'm hoping that T.O. can perform miracles. :pray:

:sigh:

DraftBoy
08-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Any time you score 0 total point, it is that bad.

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 02:58 PM

oh don't worry, in the regular season our S/T is good for at least 14 a game. We just didn't want to tip off our opponents by showing it in pre-season.

Michael82
08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Did you read what I said? It was the Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl defense. Oh and they haven't given up any TD all pre-season long.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Did you read what I said? It was the Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl defense. Oh and they haven't given up any TD all pre-season long.

:nod:

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Which is fitting, since the Bills starting offense has not scored a TD all pre-season long (and that is 5 games!)

Mike, the starting offense also converted as many third downs as you or I did last night. They barely got past midfield.

It was a fugly offensive performance.

Philagape
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
As Hurley would put it ...
Dude, they didn't score.

And that was as much their own fault as it was the Steelers' defense.

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Which is fitting, since the Bills starting offense has not scored a TD all pre-season long (and that is 5 games!)

well, 4 so far, but still... reading that stat made me feel physically ill.

Michael82
08-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Mike, the starting offense also converted as many third downs as you or I did last night. They barely got past midfield.

It was a fugly offensive performance.
Looks like that old Buffalo Bills joke fits perfectly now... :sigh:

"How do you keep the Buffalo Bills out of your backyard?"

Put up a goal post! :ill:

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2009, 03:24 PM
well, 4 so far, but still... reading that stat made me feel physically ill.

Well, um, er, since they are likely to get one series at most on Thursday I am just being clairvoyant.

DrGraves
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM

4. Keith Ellison. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he looked very good and was in on several tackles and showed good reaction by recovering the fumble right away.

Moorman better be looking good... he gets enough reps every frickin game.

and why are we running the no huddle? to go 3 and out even quicker?

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Mikey, sorry, but you're making excuses. It is as bad as it looked and it has actually become worse as the preseason has progressed.

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Mikey, sorry, but you're making excuses. It is as bad as it looked and it has actually become worse as the preseason has progressed.

Oh please.

Tennessee was the first game and we were rusty.

We beat Chicago. No problems there.

Green Bay game planned- in preseason, that's practically cheating.

The Steelers were the champs so they should beat us.

The sky isn't falling. Really, it isn't!

Nighthawk
08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Oh please.

Tennessee was the first game and we were rusty.

We beat Chicago. No problems there.

Green Bay game planned- in preseason, that's practically cheating.

The Steelers were the champs so they should beat us.

The sky isn't falling. Really, it isn't!

Ha, ha... :rain:

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
side note, I went to Moorman's bar in Pittsburg, Kansas last year. That place is decked out with Pitt State stuff including a Moorman jersey from his playing time there. I was just passing through and wanted a drink.