PDA

View Full Version : My Bills defensive notes from Pitt game

patmoran2006
08-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't watch the Bills game on Saturday night. I wanted to save myself the aggravation. Intead, I taped the game and planned to watch it in its entirety this afternoon. But after hearing how bad our offense was last night, I decided to fast forward through every offense and special teams play. Instead, I just watched our defense.

Here are some random notes I collected:

* I thought Keith Ellison had an excellent game. There's no doubt he's starting the season at OLB, like it or not. He was busy, in traffic and made a couple of big plays.

* I was extremely impressed by Marcus Buggs. I'd be shocked if he didnt lock down a roster spot. He gets into the holes and is aggressive.

* Did anyone notice Lankster played the first series of the second half rather than Youboty? This could mean trouble for Youboty, if the Bills don't keep six corners.

* Overall, I thought the secondary played well in pass coverage. Pittsburgh QB 's simply made some great throws in tight coverage, not to mention too often they had all day to throw.

* All things considered (lack of practice), Aaron Maybin looked good. He had a sack (which I believe was facilitated by Corner), and a solid pressure on Big Ben. Playmakers make plays when they get the chance. Let's hope that continues for him.

* Bryan Copeland didn't do himself any favors to make this roster. He looked shaky and at times, overpowered. Hard to see them cutting Denney now.

* Seriously, is Donte Whitner ever going to make a play? I'm seriously thinking it may be a matter of time before he LOSES his starting job, which leads too...

* I like Byrd. He struggled and was fooled a few times, but he already showed me a knack for being around the ball. With more experience, I can see Byrd and Scott starting in this secondary. I'm beyond tired of watching Whitner go out there and do nothing, other than taking a penalty (It shouldn't have been a penalty but he had no business throwing a shoulder even in the vicinity of the Steeler's RB's head)

That's all I got for now. To summarize, I think Buggs and Ellison really helped themselves by being the best defenders on the field.

I think Bryan and Youboty are in trouble (among the other obvious candidates)

Oaf
08-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Would you rather have Scott out there instead of Whitner? Any more comments on Byrd's performance? When did he play?

patmoran2006
08-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Would you rather have Scott out there instead of Whitner? Any more comments on Byrd's performance? When did he play?
He didnt see the field until the third quarter (Byrd)

To answer your question directly. No. Not now anyway. Byrd needs to practice and get more game experience before that would conceivably happen.

What I do know is this; though Scott is much more under the radar than Whitner, he simply makes more plays. Scott had a stop on a run at the line of scrimmage. He had a QB pressure on a blitz. When is the last time Whither did either?

I think Whitner and Scott start the season, and its my hope, unless Whitner starts making plays rather than living off his name, that Byrd eventually takes Whitner's spot.

patmoran2006
08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I forgot to add (see how quiet he is?) that I thought kyle Williams had a solid half of footbal as well.

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
He didnt see the field until the third quarter (Byrd)

To answer your question directly. No. Not now anyway. Byrd needs to practice and get more game experience before that would conceivably happen.

What I do know is this; though Scott is much more under the radar than Whitner, he simply makes more plays. Scott had a stop on a run at the line of scrimmage. He had a QB pressure on a blitz. When is the last time Whither did either?

I think Whitner and Scott start the season, and its my hope, unless Whitner starts making plays rather than living off his name, that Byrd eventually takes Whitner's spot.

I only watched some of the GB game and I haven't seen the Pitt game yet, but I thought Scott looked pretty damn good against Chicago.

As far as Whitner, isn't this his contract year? The Bills may let him walk after this season. I've never been a fan of the guy, although we spent an 8th round draft pick on him so I'd rather see him finally step it up and Byrd take Scott's spot. Then maybe we could cut Ko, who's absolutely brutal.

Marvelous
08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm undecided about Whitner. I'll review him at the bye week.. Until then he starts(in my book) Byrd starting over Whitner at all this year must mean we are eliminated. Then it's understandable to get the reps to the youth.

-And i too noticed that Whitner doesn't get pressure or LOS Run support. But we dont use him pressed like that.. And if he is strictly cover-2 safety then the argument could be where's the picks...I also don't recall Whiner getting ubused in the passing game last year though either...Ima thinkking we just wanted a star player & all we are getting is a capable player...

patmoran2006
08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I only watched some of the GB game and I haven't seen the Pitt game yet, but I thought Scott looked pretty damn good against Chicago.

As far as Whitner, isn't this his contract year? The Bills may let him walk after this season. I've never been a fan of the guy, although we spent an 8th round draft pick on him so I'd rather see him finally step it up and Byrd take Scott's spot. Then maybe we could cut Ko, who's absolutely brutal.

Im not positive, but Im thinking he is still under contract this year and next.

Mad Bomber
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I didn't watch the Bills game on Saturday night. I wanted to save myself the aggravation. Intead, I taped the game and planned to watch it in its entirety this afternoon. But after hearing how bad our offense was last night, I decided to fast forward through every offense and special teams play. Instead, I just watched our defense.
Pat, you just saved a lot of life of your player's motor, because you didn't have to do much fast forwarding.

Goobylal
08-30-2009, 06:53 PM
The problem is that the guys who look like they could be something, i.e. Nic Harris, Ashlee Palmer, and Marcus Buggs, are all SLB's on the Bills' depth chart. I wish they were at all 3 LB'er positions.

Mad Bomber
08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
The problem is that the guys who look like they could be something, i.e. Nic Harris, Ashlee Palmer, and Marcus Buggs, are all SLB's on the Bills' depth chart. I wish they were at all 3 LB'er positions.

Did you see the TV graphic where they called him "Alvin Buggs"?

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Did you see the TV graphic where they called him "Alvin Buggs"?

It's preseason for production people too. The Redskins video and audio was all out of sync on Friday as well.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 07:09 PM
We should switch to a 3-4 defense. :D

OpIv37
08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
We should switch to a 3-4 defense. :D

we're not even close, personnel-wise. But if we tank this season and have to rebuild starting next off-season, I'm all for it.

BillsWin
08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
we're not even close, personnel-wise. But if we tank this season and have to rebuild starting next off-season, I'm all for it.

im telling you guys. We draft McCoy, we sign Billick and we change to a 3-4.

Win-Win-Win