PDA

View Full Version : Bills cut/reduce by 6; sign former Pats TE!

Coach Sal
09-01-2009, 10:30 AM
From BB.com.............

The Bills made their necessary roster reduction to 75 players on Tuesday prior to the 4pm league deadline. They also added a tight end to the roster.

Waived by the club were OL Chris Denman and WR Shaine Smith.
Placed on the waived/injured list were three players, TE Travis McCall, CB Lydell Sargeant and DT Marcus Smith.

McCall, Sargeant and Smith all suffered injuries during the course of training camp and the preseason. If none of them are claimed by any other NFL club they revert back to Buffalo’s roster where they will either be placed on injured reserve or be released via an injury settlement.

Denman and Smith spent last season on Buffalo’s practice squad and could both very well be considerations for that unit again.

Sargeant suffered a serious knee injury and is likely to wind up on Buffalo’s injured reserve list as he’s expected to clear waivers.

Bills sign TE DeVree

The Bills also added a player signing tight end Tyson DeVree. DeVree was initially signed by the New England Patriots as an undrafted rookie in 2008.

He spent most of last season on New England’s practice squad, but was called up to the active roster on Nov. 17 last season and appeared in two games for the Patriots.

DeVree (6’6” 245) finished his college career at Colorado after transferring from Western Michigan. As a senior he had 37 receptions for 402 yards and eight touchdowns.

The tight end worked out for the club on Monday. He will wear jersey number 87.

To make room for DeVree on the roster the Bills also waived LB Solomon Elimimian.

I'm thinking DeVree was signed specifically for week 1 planning vs. New England.

He played the last month and half with them last year.

DraftBoy
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I do like his size at the TE position but there is no room on the roster for him with 4 guys competing for only three possible spots.

don137
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Pay him for his knowlege on the Patriot playbook and send him on his way.

Hemlepp53
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Lawyer Milloy was valued for that as well when he first come over to the Bills. Remember that Game.... Whoa

bigbub2352
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Cut Fine he has been useless this preseason, Schouman can play H-Back, so u can keep 3 TEs
Nelson
Stupar
and the new kid anyone form NE scrap heap is better than what we got here

trapezeus
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
i think there is a big difference between getting milloy who was a starter and key cog in the system vs a practice squad guy in terms of getting information out of him.

I have little faith in this coaching staff to out coach the patriots. NOw they want to try to out spy them? Good luck.

I hope something works so week 1 can be a huge success for us. IF we win, i'm guessing that there is going to be a huge spike in devree jersey sales. and by huge spike, i mean, i'll being buying one.

Jimbuktu
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Lawyer Milloy was valued for that as well when he first come over to the Bills. Remember that Game.... Whoa

Last time we beat them, right?

I would have bet billions of dollars if someone came up to me after that game and said the Pats would go 14-1 from here on out and win the Super Bowl, while the Bills would go 5-10. BILLIONS.

The King
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM
The Pats have done this to us for years. Wasnt it Sam Aiken last year?

DraftBoy
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
The Pats have done this to us for years. Wasnt it Sam Aiken last year?

Well the Pats also love ST players and Aiken is still on their roster.

Plus do they really need help beating us?

Commissioner
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
They would of been better signing someone from the defense who can help us figure out their 3-4.

But then again, Belichick is pretty good at coming up with someone completely different everytime we face them.

and then again, we'll probably need help stopping their high powered offense.

Ebenezer
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Somehow, I think Malloy had a far better understanding of the Pats than a TE that has been with them a month and a half.

Dr. Lecter
09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
With Fine still injured the Bills also haveonly 3 healthy TEs so he also provides a litte depth for Thursday.

Griz78
09-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Solomon Elimimian has been Eliminated!

Ickybaluky
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
DeVree was in camp with the Pats a year ago, and was signed to the PS after the final cuts. He was signed over Stupar, who the Pats also cut. Both Stupar and DeVree are pretty much JAGs.

I think signing guys to get "inside" information is one of the most overblown things fans come up with. I'm not sure what information he could provide. He'll probably let them know they have to pressure Brady. They may want to pay extra attention to that Moss guy as well.

Pinkerton Security
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Solomon Elimimian has been Eliminated!

im glad hes gone...i would have never been able to say his name when I got excited..

"YEAH ELmi....elimin....o wtf nice play buddy!!"

Kind of like Tasker's "McGillis wahaheeee"