The only way I see us making the playoffs with this schedule.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

The only way I see us making the playoffs with this schedule.

I'll try to be optimistic, but I won't lie to you. This is a brutal schedule for a team like the Bills who has not shown any flashes of being a playoff team all preseason.

That being said, I think the Bills have an outside shot at this if they can pull off a few big time wins on the road as well as in Buffalo.

this is what I see as the only path to the playoffs for Buffalo this season.

@NE: Loss- Come on folks, lets get real. I really hope the Bills come out and play the game of their life on the 14th and beat the Pats in Foxborro, but it won't happen. I mean Tom Brady will be playing to prove he's 100% healthy and 100% himself. That is bad news for the Bills. I think that the only way the Bills could win this game is to pull out all the stops. Go deep to Owens and Evans and often. Establish a solid running game and SCORE win in the endzone. Fake fieldgoals and punts and big time special teams returns may be a must. This game will have to be mistake free ball for the Bills to win. I say they will lose.

Bucs: Win- The Bucs game is a must-win in my honest opinion. Its not an AFC team, or divisional opponent, but it is one that the Bills CAN win and will have to to possibly get 10-11 wins.

Saints: Loss- To win this game would mean alot for the Bills. The fact is though that Brees is too good.

@Fish: Loss- Division games are very important. Nuff said, but its in Miami and I fully expect the fish to be ready to play.

Cle: Win- Gotta win at home against a mediocre team.

@NY: Win- Sanchez is a rookie. Which means nothing, but we NEED the Jets games and bad.

@Car: Win- Have to get a win against a quality opponent. Lynch will be back and we may need to just hand him the rock in this one.

Texans: Win- Its at home. No excuses in my book.

@Tenn: Loss- Good luck with this one. Tenn is legit.

@Jags: Win- It will be as quiet as a mouse in Jacksonville seeing as noone goes to their games. An AFC win looks good on the resume.

At this point the Bills would be 6-4 if they followed this path to the playoffs. I think the Bills have a better chance to exit this half of the season 4-6 or 5-5. But we'll say 6-4 for the hell of it. id be very happy if they exited these games with a 6-4 record.

Fish: Win- the Dolphins game at home will be another must-win game. we cant have a record of 1-3 in our first 4 division games. 2-2 is workable.

Jets: Win- a sweep of the Jets is unlikely, but almost a must.

@KC: Win- Got to beat a mediocre team, especially in the AFC if we want to make the playoffs.

Who would have thought the Bills would be 9-4 entering the final three weeks of the season??? I say the Bills are 7-6 here, but this is supposed to be optimistic

NE: Loss- one of those almost must-win games the Bills will lose. Good thing they have two games against teams who will probably be playing half-assed having clinched.

@Atl: Win- A must-win with the loss to NE. It will be a really tough game on the road.

IND: Win- Our only hope is that they will be resting their starters, although we always seem to play tough against Indy.

11-5 should be good enough for the playoffs and a record of 3-3 in the division will probably be the second best in the East.

Its the only realistic way I see the Bills working around this brutal schedule.

Now can they win those games is the real question. I just stated the games which the Bills could POSSIBLY win, but they will all be difficult this year without exponential improvement in Trent's play, Turk's playcalling and offensive line blocking.

Once again, I realize that the Bills (WHERE THEY STAND CURRENTLY) are NOT an eleven win team, this thread is only my opinion on which games they could possibly win in order to make it into the playoffs.
    I am The Batman.
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: The only way I see us making the playoffs with this schedule.

I am The Batman.

Comment

• paladin warrior
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BillsWin
      Billswin haters---->

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

I'd like to see losses to Tampa (wk2), Carolina (wk7) and Houston (wk8)... Plus a win against Miami (wk3). That puts us 4-4 at the bye (but 2-1 vs AFCE)... And gets Dick fired.
        Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by paladin warrior
          Billswin haters---->
          youre the man paladin!
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by draz54
            I'd like to see losses to Tampa (wk2), Carolina (wk7) and Houston (wk8)... Plus a win against Miami (wk3). That puts us 4-4 at the bye (but 2-1 vs AFCE)... And gets Dick fired.
            with a .500 record at the bye, still in playoff contention and a 2-1 record in a tough division I think its safe to say Ralph would keep Dick for the rest of the season.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• paladin warrior
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Oct 2004

youre the man paladin!

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

It all rides on the offense being at least competitive and consistently so. Edwards has this team in the palm of his hand...
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

The only problem is that New England had an 11-5 overall last year but still didn't make it to the playoffs.

While I think your predictions are definitely a best-case scenario, it still wouldn't guarantee playoffs.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

i understand the point of the thread. i think you are on record so far as being pretty realistic about the bills chances this year.

I just want to make one point that I find interesting in the last 3 years and in your "how the bills can get to 11-5" thread. Those 7 win seasons came against awful teams. in 2006, the bills only beat the jets twice. They were the only team over .500. In 2007, they only beat washington who were 9-7 but coming off of a player death. In 2008, only beat the broncos and chargers who were both 8-8, but shells of the teams that they formerly were.

So anytime we are asked to play a good team that would most likely be in the playoffs, we're told they can't beat them. What's the point of making the playoffs if we can't beat teams above .500? Other than to satisfy our hatred of going 10 years without a playoff game, don't you think it's more embarassing that we can't beat teams above .500?

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

2006: 7-9
                      2007: 7-9
                      2008: 7-9

2009: 7-9

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                        2006: 7-9
                        2007: 7-9
                        2008: 7-9

2009: 7-9
                        So what over .500 team do you think we beat this year....or what 2 .500 teams do we beat this year?

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus
                          So what over .500 team do you think we beat this year....or what 2 .500 teams do we beat this year?
                          I think it's fairly unreasonable to say that only a couple of the teams we play will have records under 0.500.

I believe the NFC South had great records last year for the most part, but they also played the NFC West, as did the Jets and Dolphins. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dolphins at 0.500 this year and the Jets below it.

Looking at each team from last year to this year, it seems fairly reasonable for 5-6 teams on our schedule to finish the year under 0.500: Tampa Bay, Miami, NYJ, Cleveland, Carolina (horrible defense), Houston or Jacksonville, Kansas City...

I could see any of those teams finishing at 0.500 or below. I'm not saying we'll beat all those teams but any or all of them could do worse than they did last year.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

I dont think it would be that impossible to beat the Saints. Sure, their offense is great but their D isnt that good.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                              • Feb 2005

with a .500 record at the bye, still in playoff contention and a 2-1 record in a tough division I think its safe to say Ralph would keep Dick for the rest of the season.
                              I failed to mention that it would be Dick's poor coaching (clock management, failed challenges, etc) that would lose us the Tampa, Carolina and Houston games.
                              Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍