PDA

View Full Version : Schouman 1A, Fine 1B

psubills62
09-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Surprisingly, I've seen several people mention Derek Fine among the cuts they want or expect from the Bills. I seriously doubt that will be happening, especially after this article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/781985.html

Derek Schouman is not doing backflips over the fact he's the Buffalo Bills' starting tight end.

He does not dream about outscoring All-Pro tight end Tony Gonzalez in fantasy football.

When you're a former seventh-round draft choice who had to claw your way onto an NFL roster, you're constantly in prove-yourself mode. So it goes with Schouman, as he starts his third season in Buffalo.

"Expectations? I have none as far as statistics," Schouman said. "I've never been a statistics guy, and I never will be. You've got to have them.

Statistics equals production. But I need to do more than catch passes. If I get caught up in that, I'll lose focus on the other things I need to do to help this offense."

Look for Schouman to see the field a lot this year. The Bills like to use two-tight end formations. Schouman could be considered No. 1A at tight end. Second-year man Derek Fine is No. 1B. They will probably get a similar number of snaps this year, although Fine currently is out with a sore hamstring. Waiting in the wings is rookie fourth-round draft pick Shawn Nelson, who is being groomed to be the starter some day. The odds are that day won't come this season.

So the Bills need Schouman to make some plays, starting with the season opener at New England on Sept. 14.

At 6-foot-2, 233 pounds, Schouman is smaller than the prototype tight end. Fine is 6-3, 247. Nelson is 6-5, 240. But Schouman has pretty good mobility and is very smart.

"Derek's a really solid player," coach Dick Jauron said. "He's had an outstanding camp, and again we're hoping that that just translates to the season when it counts. He's got good balance, he's low to the ground and he can catch the ball. I think he's got some run-after-catch ability. He's got some power. He's not a giant tight end, but he's got some power. He's got some explosion to him and he'll battle you. He's a tough guy."

The Bills have used Schouman split out in the slot a bit this preseason. Expect that to continue. Last year, Robert Royal was the tight end split to the outside, not Schouman.

"It's fun. It's different," Schouman said. "That's really new to me. It's something I'm going to need to get reps on. In the pass game, it's better because you have more room to work with. It's a whole different world in the run game trying to block a guy in space rather than block a bigger guy right up on you."

Schouman started 12 games last season and caught 15 passes. Overall the Bills ranked 20th in catches by tight ends with 58. Obviously, the wideouts -- Lee Evans and Terrell Owens -- will be the primary passing targets for the Bills. But Schouman & Co. will need to help keep defenses honest. Teams are not going to worry about the Bills' tight ends.

"We're fully aware of that," Schouman said. "Depending on the play, if that's the look we're presented with, they expect those inside guys to win. ... A lot of teams try to take away the outside guys and bank on the inside guys not being able to win."

If Schouman and Fine could split 50 catches and Nelson could add 10 or 15, that could be good for the Buffalo offense.

"I want to play well," Schouman said. "I don't want to just be there. I think I've improved in a lot of areas. At the same time, there's still a lot I need to improve on, and that will just come with experience."

bigbub2352
09-02-2009, 10:02 AM
1a sad 1b sad
we are in trouble this yr with Schouman starting he should be our fullback

Lexwhat
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
On other teams, Schouman/Fine would be Options 2a/2b.

Ebenezer
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
On other teams, Schouman/Fine would be Options 2a/2b.
at best. compared to Whitten and Gates they are 4a/4b.

casdhf
09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
at best. compared to Whitten and Gates they are 4a/4b. Right, find a team with both Whitten and Gates on it.

patmoran2006
09-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't buy Fine being a lock to be on this team come Sunday...

bigbub2352
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
then it will be yet another bad pick by this FO, in the long line of bad picks
there were other players on the board when we took Fine
we need to get some real depth

bflobarry
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Some of you negative Nancys just kill me. Fine played very little last year, and I was at the Jets game where he looked very good: battling to get to the sticks for a key 3rd down conversion, showing toughness and good hands. Let's give him a chance before we declare what a stiff he is....

psubills62
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM

I guess maybe I just don't understand...why is Fine being dropped from possible starter to not even on the roster? I understand Stupar has played well, but has he really been that outstanding (against second-teamers) and Fine been that bad?

You know if Fine gets released the Jets will pick him up...they're desperate for TE's.

ddaryl
09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry but I stil fail to see where Fine has failed and should be cut.

In fact he was one of our better looking TE's last season in limited play. I haven't been able to focus on him this preseason because there are too many areas I am more worried about.

Supar and Nelson are going to sturggle in the blocking game IMO, but I fully expect Supar to be given ample opportunity to win the starting job, and I fully expect Nelson to be a big part of the Redzone O early this year.

John Doe
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry but I stil fail to see where Fine has failed and should be cut.

In fact he was one of our better looking TE's last season in limited play. I haven't been able to focus on him this preseason because there are too many areas I am more worried about.

Supar and Nelson are going to sturggle in the blocking game IMO, but I fully expect Supar to be given ample opportunity to win the starting job, and I fully expect Nelson to be a big part of the Redzone O early this year.

Fine is also the best special teams player of the tight ends.

There is no way that he is cut.

ChristopherWalken
09-03-2009, 11:32 AM
2 TE set :down: