PDA

View Full Version : Winfeild update(kinda)

venis2k1
05-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Sportsline did a peice on all the CBs that are in the last year of their contracts, Winfeild was one of them. Here is what they said about him:

"Winfield: He is a smaller (5-feet-9) corner, which might deter some teams, but he is a tough, physical player. The Bills love him and will do whatever it takes to keep him, which could mean using the franchise tag. They put that label on receiver Peerless Price before trading him to Atlanta. It's a safeguard for the team. But the Bills will have to decide if he's worth shutdown corner money. He certainly is if Bly can get $5 million a year."

Im thinkin we are gonna lose him. Do you think is is worth Big time money???

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6385567

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-22-2003, 10:10 PM
We're gonna lose him. That's why I wanted us to draft Woolfolk or Wilson.

Ed
05-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Why would we lose him? The only way I see Winfield not returning is if he plays bad. We're going to have more free cap space then ever before. From what I've heard, it looks like we'll have at least 20 million. And it's not like we're going to have a bunch of major holes that need to be filled. If Winfield wants to be a Bill and Donahoe wants him to be a Bill then he'll be a Bill.

Michael82
05-22-2003, 10:20 PM
If TD was planning to let him go, then he would have picked a cornerback in the 1st 3 rounds. There were some really good ones available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Tatonka
05-22-2003, 10:30 PM
he is staying.

jchild178
05-22-2003, 11:02 PM
if we did let him go i would love to see one of the shutdown corners from philly...if im not mistaken i think they are both free agents next year.

venis2k1
05-22-2003, 11:11 PM
TD will not over pay for anyone. Not even Winfeild. Winfeild is Not even close to a top 5 CB in the NFL, but he may get paid like one. Look at what Bly got.

The Spaz
05-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Why is he not close? Is it because he doesn't get int's. The guy is as tough as they come, he hits like a LB and covers very well and is a good character guy. He brings a lot more to the table then what int's are worth! Go Bills!

venis2k1
05-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Winfeild is a great CB, but he isnt anywhere near a top(5) CB in the NFL. he is 5-9, that means he gives up 7 inches matched up against a Randy Moss. I dont even think he is the best CB on this team!!! I think Nasty Nate is Much, Much better.

venis2k1
05-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Now that i think of it, Winfeild is barly a top 5 CB in the AFCE. I would take Clements, Law, Surtain, and Madison before I took Winfeild.

WG
05-23-2003, 12:14 AM
It's difficult to rate Winfield. As I've said, based on what I saw from Thomas last season in a limited role, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Thomas doesn't become the best pure cover CB this season.

Having said that, few CBs play the run like AW and NC, and for sure, we have the best run-defending/all-around CBs in the league. Unfortunately, neither is the best at coverage. Both have shortcomings, Winfield's being partially a lack of height.

Neither is great on man-to-man, yet both are solid. So I suppose whether or not we keep Winfield will depend upon the development of Thomas and Winfield's asking price. If he and his agent decide top bucks are a priority, I doubt that he'll be a Bill. If they are willing to bend a bit, then I'd say that early odds are that he'll resign here.

If Thomas really impresses this year, then look for the Bills to offer AW less than they have to. Who's to say that having a better pure cover CB wouldn't be better!

mypoorfriendme
05-23-2003, 01:13 AM
another reason TD wouldnt have offerend winfield an extension or drafted a cb early (although i thin whethersby would have been a good third rounder) is the fact that the free agent market is going to have atleast a few big name shut down corners. lets just hope we can grab one if we lose winfield for decent money before anyone else. also especially after the price situation and how that turned out, i wouldnt be too surprised to see winfield hit with a tag.

venis2k1
05-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Even if we tagged him, we would still have to pay him more than he is worth.

ryjam282
05-23-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't think he is worth top 5 money but he is one hell of a corner. He is probably the best tackler in our secondary and he is a big hitter, (remember the hit against GB). He can play and would help out our D, but not for that much money.