• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Key Battles to Watch for vs. Detroit

Here's a few of the key battles to watch in the Detroit/Bills final preseason game tomorrow (assuming you're going to the game or don't live in the Buffalo area and can watch it)

Jon Corto vs Alvin Bowen vs Ashlee Palmer (6th LB spot)
    Buggs and Harris are locked in as backups. It's likely the Bills only keep six linebackers. Corto probably has the edge going as an established special teamer. Bowen should see a lot of action in what is to be the most important game of his life. Palmer looked good early in camp and against Tennesssee but his injury probably killed his chances of making the 53. At least one LB between Bowen/Palmer will make the PS squad, assuming they're not claimed elsewhere. The waiver wire could come into play here as a veteran LB is brought in.

Ko Simpson vs John Wendling vs George Wilson (4th safety spot)
    It's very conceivable the Bills only keep four safeties. Whitner, Scott and Byrd are roster locks. Wilson is likely to make the team as a special teams player, and a guy who can make plays at safety. If the team keeps a fifth, it's Wendling vs Simpson. Keeping a fifth safety probably happens only if the Bills don't keep six cornerbacks. With McGee, McKelvin and Corner locked in, and Florence and Lankster likely to make the cut, Ashton Youboty could be in trouble.

Copeland Bryan vs the Numbers game.
    SChobel, Kelsay, Maybin and Ellis aren't going anywhere. It's unlikely Denney does either. That's five defensive end. THat leaves Bryan in trouble due to the numbers game. Would the Bills keep six defensive ends and 10 defensive linemen on the roster overall? Highly doubtful. That means Bryan would likely have to have a monster game and show the staff something that would lead to a Denney release.

The only other chance he'd have is for the Bills to cut John McCargo, only go with three defensive tackles and have Denney line up to play some DT-- not likely.

Jonathan Stupar vs Derek Fine vs Possibility of 4 TE's
    Derek Fine could be in trouble. His hamstring has been bothersome and it's kept him from having a chance to impress the coaches. He's a veteran (of sorts) but hasn't done much in his brief past to guarentee a roster spot. Stupar has looked great in camp and the preseason, but is still likely the odd man out-- unless the Bills keep a fourth tight end. If Stupar has another solid game against Detroit, Fine in part due to his injury, could be shown the door.

Jonathan Scott vs Brandon Rodd vs Demetrius Bell's Bad Back
    If Bell was fully healthy, the Bills would probably only keep eight offensive linemen on the roster. Chambers, McKinney and Bell are almost certainly the three backups. But with Bell suffering from a back problem, the team won't go into week one with only two healthy linemen on the bench. This means the Bills will at least probably start the season with a ninth linemen. This puts Scott or Rodd into play. (This is also bad news for another position as the team will keep one less somewhere else)

Possible trade bait over the next week.

With Buggs and Corto barely ever seeing a live NFL football field, and Bowen/Palmer never playing an NFL down, the Bills are woefully thin in terms of experience at linebacker depth. Don't be surprised to see Ashton Youboty or even Roscoe Parrish getting dealt for a veteran linebacker.

Youboty's availibilty in trade could come down how healthy Drayton Florence is.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Key Battles to Watch for vs. Detroit

"Starter playing time will be a game time decision"
    - Dick Jauron

Thanks Dick - very decisive, as usual.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• superbills
      • Mar 2003

It's a shame there's no room for Copeland Bryan. No one is going to confuse him for Bruce Smith, but I think he brings a hell of lot more to the table than Denney or Kelsay. At least it seems like he has potential to be a solid player, as opposed to the useless D/K tandem we have on the left side there.
      "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
      Ronald Reagan
      40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Here's a few of the key battles to watch in the Detroit/Bills final preseason game tomorrow (assuming you're going to the game or don't live in the Buffalo area and can watch it)

Buggs and Harris are locked in as backups. It's likely the Bills only keep six linebackers. Corto probably has the edge going as an established special teamer. Bowen should see a lot of action in what is to be the most important game of his life. Palmer looked good early in camp and against Tennesssee but his injury probably killed his chances of making the 53. At least one LB between Bowen/Palmer will make the PS squad, assuming they're not claimed elsewhere. The waiver wire could come into play here as a veteran LB is brought in.

It's very conceivable the Bills only keep four safeties. Whitner, Scott and Byrd are roster locks. Wilson is likely to make the team as a special teams player, and a guy who can make plays at safety. If the team keeps a fifth, it's Wendling vs Simpson. Keeping a fifth safety probably happens only if the Bills don't keep six cornerbacks. With McGee, McKelvin and Corner locked in, and Florence and Lankster likely to make the cut, Ashton Youboty could be in trouble.

SChobel, Kelsay, Maybin and Ellis aren't going anywhere. It's unlikely Denney does either. That's five defensive end. THat leaves Bryan in trouble due to the numbers game. Would the Bills keep six defensive ends and 10 defensive linemen on the roster overall? Highly doubtful. That means Bryan would likely have to have a monster game and show the staff something that would lead to a Denney release.

The only other chance he'd have is for the Bills to cut John McCargo, only go with three defensive tackles and have Denney line up to play some DT-- not likely.

Derek Fine could be in trouble. His hamstring has been bothersome and it's kept him from having a chance to impress the coaches. He's a veteran (of sorts) but hasn't done much in his brief past to guarentee a roster spot. Stupar has looked great in camp and the preseason, but is still likely the odd man out-- unless the Bills keep a fourth tight end. If Stupar has another solid game against Detroit, Fine in part due to his injury, could be shown the door.

If Bell was fully healthy, the Bills would probably only keep eight offensive linemen on the roster. Chambers, McKinney and Bell are almost certainly the three backups. But with Bell suffering from a back problem, the team won't go into week one with only two healthy linemen on the bench. This means the Bills will at least probably start the season with a ninth linemen. This puts Scott or Rodd into play. (This is also bad news for another position as the team will keep one less somewhere else)

With Buggs and Corto barely ever seeing a live NFL football field, and Bowen/Palmer never playing an NFL down, the Bills are woefully thin in terms of experience at linebacker depth. Don't be surprised to see Ashton Youboty or even Roscoe Parrish getting dealt for a veteran linebacker.

Good rundown. Out of curiosity, is the "trade" part due to rumors you're picking up from your insiders, or simply speculation on your part? If only they could have traded Parrish and a pick for Brian Waters...

I guess I'm really not sure why people are so down on Fine making the roster. I have a hard time believing they'd cut him so easily after how much he contributed last year simply as a rookie. I see Stupar as what Fred Jackson was in 2007 - a preseason star, but has very little role on the offense during the regular season. I personally think they'd be more apt to keep 4 TE's than cut Fine, but maybe I'm missing something.

Here's hoping they dump Kelsay or Denney for Copeland Bryan. While I was mortified that he whiffed on Charlie Batch this past Saturday, he's still played better than either RD or CK. Also, the only reason he was on the roster last year was his huge game against Detroit.

I do know that on the BBMB, Chris Brown stated that letting Denney go is more feasible than some may think. It was in the thread about Brown's article saying that Ellis and Bryan were competing for roster spots.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Is Corto PS eligible?

I do not think a 5th safety is an option.

Copeland is sqaure on the bubble. It is all up to his play vs Detroit, IMO.

4 TEs is very likely, IMO. We haven't ran with a FB yet this year, that I've noticed, and about 50% of their plays seem to be ran from the 2 TE set. I think they keep all of them.

I think Bell will be fine. My guess is, those other linemen are gone.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
            "Starter playing time will be a game time decision"
            - Dick Jauron

Thanks Dick - very decisive, as usual.
            I was looking forward to our wr's in pass coverage vs. Lions DL .
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by yordad
              Is Corto PS eligible?

It is an option. Didn't they carry 5 last year? Having said that, I would only keep 4 and 10 DB total; but they may keep 11.

Agreed for the most part. WE may be wishfully thinking though. They're not keeping 6 DE, and I don't see them cutting Denney.

4 TEs is very likely, IMO. We haven't ran with a FB yet this year, that I've noticed, and about 50% of their plays seem to be ran from the 2 TE set. I think they keep all of them.
              I think McIntyre makes the opening day roster. Can't see them not even carrying a FB at all. Doesnt mean they won't keep 4 TE though, it is possible. No one on this team has more at stake Thursday than Stupar, IMO.

I think Bell will be fine. My guess is, those other linemen are gone.[
              He will be fine, but not probably for opening day, he's still out for tomorrow. Do you think they'll go into week one with only two OL on the bench available?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

FWIW, Gaughan list the LB battle (in his order) as Nic Harris, Jon Corto, Ashlee Palmer, Alvin Bowen and Marcus Buggs.

Not sure if that is accurate or not, but he is a pretty sharp guy.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

And if they cut Denney and keep Kelsay, I will be livid. Denney is better and cheaper. At least Denney provides some 3rd down pass rush and can tip a pass.
                  Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Last year was last year. This year they cannot carry 5 safeties. 6 CBs is way more likely IMO. If Simpson Wendling, and Wilson all pretty much suck, why would they keep all three? I wouldn't mind Wilson, but the other 2 gotta go.

I could see them keeping 6 DEs, but it isn't very likely. Only 3 DTs isn't an option, and McCargo has had a good preseason. Copeland gets one more shot to prove he is better then Denny. It is Bryan vs Denney, and it is up to them. Well, basically it's up to Bryan, cuz we already know what Denney brings.

I think Mc makes the opening day roster too. But, the Bills will have a tough decision when Lynch returns. While he is suspended he doesn't count toward the 53.

I think Bell is fine now. And, being held out as a precaution.

Is Corto PS eligible?
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• homeslice5484
                      • Jul 2008

pat...are u hearing anything u can share? I am hoping to see a lot of Stevie Johnson tomorrow and hopefully during the season. I am tried of seeing Roscoe lined up wide.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

No. I havent heard anything that's not already public knowledge and/or discussed on here. It's kind of hard to have anything unique when like every single scenario in the world is covered on this board, lol..

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Last year was last year. This year they cannot carry 5 safeties. 6 CBs is way more likely IMO. If Simpson Wendling, and Wilson all pretty much suck, why would they keep all three? I wouldn't mind Wilson, but the other 2 gotta go.

I could see them keeping 6 DEs, but it isn't very likely. Only 3 DTs isn't an option, and McCargo has had a good preseason. Copeland gets one more shot to prove he is better then Denny. It is Bryan vs Denney, and it is up to them. Well, basically it's up to Bryan, cuz we already know what Denney brings.

I think Mc makes the opening day roster too. But, the Bills will have a tough decision when Lynch returns. While he is suspended he doesn't count toward the 53.

I think Bell is fine now. And, being held out as a precaution.

Is Corto PS eligible?
                          I'm not positive,but I'm 99.99999% sure Corto is not PS eligible.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Is Corto PS eligible?
                            I sort of doubt it.

Agreed. Cornerbacks are considered the better athletes, and therefore more versatile

Agreed again. He's a pretty good young player, but the Bills have too much invested in five other guys. From the fan's perspective, just wanting Kelsay or Denney gone is probably not enough to make it happen.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              FWIW, Gaughan list the LB battle (in his order) as Nic Harris, Jon Corto, Ashlee Palmer, Alvin Bowen and Marcus Buggs.

Not sure if that is accurate or not, but he is a pretty sharp guy.

i believe we should ask Chris Brown. (sarcasm off)
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X