PDA

View Full Version : I say play Edwards and Owens tomorrow

BillsWin
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Along with the rest of the starting offense. Why?

Owens and Edwards need to build some chemistry and get their timing down.
Our starting offense has yet to sustain a scoring drive ending in a touchdown.
They are currently in a two game slump in which Edwards has yet to show any improvement.
Owens and Evans ALSO need to have some sort of chemistry and timing with eachother, so we can see how an opposing defense reacts to the two star wideouts when they are on the field together.
Edwards needs more reps. period.They dont have to play long. Two series would do it.

But let me ask you this, and please answer it:

Has our first team offense earned a week off?

trapezeus
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Nope. they haven't earned it.

but if the coaches really believe that the ineptness is because other teams are gameplanning and we aren't, then it doesn't exactly make any sense to play the starters for too long. Because they'll be risking injury for no reason.

If the coaches believe that "our team kinda sucks, we have to work out these kinks", then yes, they should play until those kinks are worked out.

BillsWin
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Nope. they haven't earned it.

but if the coaches really believe that the ineptness is because other teams are gameplanning and we aren't, then it doesn't exactly make any sense to play the starters for too long. Because they'll be risking injury for no reason.

If the coaches believe that "our team kinda sucks, we have to work out these kinks", then yes, they should play until those kinks are worked out.

A+ posting. I completely agree.

ddaryl
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
As far as I'm concerned they need to play the entire 1st half

anything less then that IMO is just more proof of lameduck coaching.

This team cannot afford not to work the starters... I think risking injury is only a secondary concern. Our inability to find the endzone, or move the ball with consistency, or stop 3rd and longs cannot be ignored. Gameplanning or no Gameplanning the team needs work. Lots of young players and new faces.

Now if they want to rotate in players who they want ot see with the starters that's just dandy, but overall this team needs work.

jamze132
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Screw the risk of injury, these knuckleheads need to play as much as they have been if not a little more. This offense is putrid right now and in no way are they ready for games that count. They need to get their **** together.

If they can come out and put two scores on the board in a row, one being a TD, then you can pull them. But if they come up lame against Detroit, they need to keep playing.

dplus47
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
They dont have to play long. Two series would do it.

i think it's already been said in this thread, but: the only way two series would do it for me (as coach) would be if they ended in scores. otherwise, i'd make 'em play until they found the end zone. and if that took until the 4th quarter playing against a bunch of future real estate salesmen, then so be it. the embarrassment could do 'em some good.

dplus47
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
of course, my strategy wouldn't be so good for those important spots at the bottom of the roster, for which it's important to see the scrubs play a while. however, i'd be in panic mode if i were jauron.

BillsWin
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
i think it's already been said in this thread, but: the only way two series would do it for me (as coach) would be if they ended in scores. otherwise, i'd make 'em play until they found the end zone. and if that took until the 4th quarter playing against a bunch of future real estate salesmen, then so be it. the embarrassment could do 'em some good.

post of the year!

casdhf
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
This game is about filling out the bottom 20 spots on our roster, not the top 20.

Hemlepp53
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Play the starters for the first half. Play TO if there is no issue with the toe. We do not need him to make it worse. We cant afford him out for the first 4 weeks of the season. Play the rest of them until the put something on the board.

Kenny
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I hope not... Seeing Trent and the rest of the offence struggle against 3rd stringers might incite NE to kick our asses even more on Monday.

Typ0
09-03-2009, 05:17 AM
I think the real test of if they need to play is against the PATS next week not any of the preseason games we've already seen.

Night Train
09-03-2009, 05:37 AM
I undertsand the reasoning completely but we're fooling ourselves if we think 2-3 series in the 1st quarter against the freakin' Lions will be the difference in 4-5 wins this season or giving us a fighting chance of beating the Pats.

We are what we are and it's not going to change tonight.

mybills
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
I doubt they are that desperate to win a preseason game.

mchurchfie
09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Keep Edwards out tonight, I want to score a TD.

psubills62
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I undertsand the reasoning completely but we're fooling ourselves if we think 2-3 series in the 1st quarter against the freakin' Lions will be the difference in 4-5 wins this season or giving us a fighting chance of beating the Pats.

It's not that 2-3 series will change anything (except giving some of our younger guys just that much more experience), but if the starting offense scores a TD, it could help get the monkey off Edwards' back and give him more confidence.

Mahdi
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Along with the rest of the starting offense. Why?

Owens and Edwards need to build some chemistry and get their timing down.
Our starting offense has yet to sustain a scoring drive ending in a touchdown.
They are currently in a two game slump in which Edwards has yet to show any improvement.
Owens and Evans ALSO need to have some sort of chemistry and timing with eachother, so we can see how an opposing defense reacts to the two star wideouts when they are on the field together.
Edwards needs more reps. period.They dont have to play long. Two series would do it.

You can't risk injury to key starters one week before the season. Just wouldn't make sense.

If Owens or Edwards picked up a 2 week injury we would be done in NE.

Saratoga Slim
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM

I agree. While I'd like to see Trent/TO get on the field and get in the end zone for the purpose of giving them a little rythm and confidence, in the long run it probably wouldn't make much a difference.

At this point in the preseason lets count our lucky stars that we haven't sustained any lasting injuries to a key starter (Freddy & TO will be fine), and get ready to play the cards we have.

BillsWin
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Leave Trent in till he scores a TD. :D

The Juice Is Loose
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't want them to play. Regardless of how the preseason has gone thusfar, there is no way an injury could help us.

I also want to keep whatever we'll be doing with TO under wraps.

That said, I would be practicing the team super hard. I know that isn't happening, with Jauron, but this post isn't about what Jauron would do it's what I would do.

I personally feel that they need to have their hardest week and a half of practice ever.

I mean, if they go get stopped by the Lions, it'd be worse then not playing at all.

Lets just hope we can catch New England unprepaired for whatever TO has in store for them.

BillsWin
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
and if he doesnt score, make him run until he pukes after the game. (I know this is the NFL and not college or highschool but who cares, he doesnt deserve special treatment when he cant do what hes paid to do!)