PDA

View Full Version : Forbes says Bills lead league in value increase

northernbillfan
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Good news from Forbes magazine today as it reports the Bills lead the league in value increase.

Here's a category in which the Buffalo Bills are right at the top of the NFL: increase in dollar value from last year.

Forbes magazine has released its annual rankings of NFL franchises and their worth. The Bills are valued at $909 million, 26th in the league overall.

Buffalo is one of four teams, with New England, Tampa Bay, San Diego, whose value is up 3 percent from 2008.

Those gains are in contrast to the fact that eight teams saw their values decline during the economic downturn of the past year. It was the first time in 10 years that any teams lost value. Six teams had no change.

linky (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/783821.html)

northernbillfan
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I hope this doesn't put a damper on efforts to keep the team here after Ralphy kicks the bucket.

Bruce is Loose
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Could TO be the cause for this? Or could it be that Buffalo was simply not hit as hard by the economic downturn as most of the nation?

Mudflap1
09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
The Bills have no debt. That is a big plus in a crappy economic market. Much more upside. The Toronto deal brought in a lot of revenue also.

trapezeus
09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
the idea of big markets and new stadiums is about potential revenues that hte future may bring.

Buffalo with its old stadium and no debt is all about the current profit available right now. I think that should open some eyes to the league. A perfectly viable, regionalized team puts up ticket sales and keeps the average fan in the game.

If they keep pushing for these superstadiums, they'll eventually lose the average fan. college football is just as competitive and in some cases more interesting.

northernbillfan
09-03-2009, 03:01 PM
the idea of big markets and new stadiums is about potential revenues that hte future may bring.

Buffalo with its old stadium and no debt is all about the current profit available right now. I think that should open some eyes to the league. A perfectly viable, regionalized team puts up ticket sales and keeps the average fan in the game.

If they keep pushing for these superstadiums, they'll eventually lose the average fan. college football is just as competitive and in some cases more interesting.Buffalo is a unique market and I hope they don't go looking at building a super stadium. How long will it take Indy et all to pay off their new stadiums?

The ticket is one of the more affordable ones in the league and it can't look to increase the cost of going to a game or they will suffer.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
No debt combined with a big name signing that ups merchandise sales = franchise value go up!

Ickybaluky
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Could TO be the cause for this?

No, Forbes evaluation was based off the last league year, which ended in February. The TO effect would show next year.

The Bills also were 11th in the NFL in Operating Income (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/30/football-values-09_NFL-Team-Valuations_Income.html), which is an indication their cash flow is good. They are 26th in Franchise value, which is where playing in a smaller market in and older stadium hurts. They are a healthy franchise financially, but they aren't as valuable an asset.

northernbillfan
09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Sow why the hell are they not spending more money on key players instead of just TO?

Scumbag College
09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Sow hy the hell are they not spending more money on key players instead of just TO?

They broke the bank this year with Pat Thomas.

northernbillfan
09-03-2009, 04:00 PM
They broke the bank this year with Pat Thomas.:rofl:

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Ralph thinks he can take it with him!

jamze132
09-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Buffalo is a unique market and I hope they don't go looking at building a super stadium. How long will it take Indy et all to pay off their new stadiums?

The ticket is one of the more affordable ones in the league and it can't look to increase the cost of going to a game or they will suffer.
I agree. I also think we should just continue to upgrade RWS as necessary to keep it as new as possible.

Ebenezer
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I said it some years ago....$1Billion to buy the Bills...I'll now increase that to $1.25 billion...anybody really think they'll be staying in Buffalo past RW's death?

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
i could see them staying. $1-$1.5BN isn't chump change. There are only a handful of people who can get in solely at that price. The NFL isn't going to let a lower offer come in because it'd push other prices down.

If i was a guy with $10BN, and put $1BN to buy the team as is...I'd be very interested to keep the status quo and pocket $50MM a year. I'd know that the area would be excited because there is stability, a new owner who might do things differently. They'll sell out the stadium. As the new owner i get to use the profits to pay down my personal debt for the aquisition. That way i profit and paydown debt and seem like a hero.

The opposite idea is that i'd take the team somewhere else. But i'd have to get the league's approval, build a stadium (most likely under my own dime and for an additional $1bn), have that debt, and then hope to god that companies elect to come to see a new team in super expensive box and that the locals are intrigued enough to come. Surely they'll show up for the first 3 years, but if the team isn't a winner, i'm pretty sure i'm then stuck with a ridiculous debtload, empty seats and boxes and sucking on the same revenue-sharing teet that Jerry jones hates ralph wilson for doing.

So in the world of business, i'd be more likely to keep the status quo, take the NYS subsidies, let them renovate my stadium, but let me take the revenue from the parking lots. It's a pretty sweet deal to walk away from.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I said it some years ago....$1Billion to buy the Bills...I'll now increase that to $1.25 billion...anybody really think they'll be staying in Buffalo past RW's death?
I guarantee they will

jamze132
09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I guarantee they will
Explain...

Ebenezer
09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I guarantee they will
if they move you owe me lunch.....deal?

The Jokeman
09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Could TO be the cause for this? Or could it be that Buffalo was simply not hit as hard by the economic downturn as most of the nation?
No because Ralph decided to not pay Jason Peters the big money contract he wanted, he parted ways with a high price guy like Dockery. Oh also he chose to keep with his HC instead of throwing money at guys like Cowher, Shanahan etc.

Tiburon1724
09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
The more they're worth the less likely someone from Buffalo / someone who is willing to keep the team in Buffalo buys it once Ralph kicks.